Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Cool bro, I have enough to keep me busy for quite a while since I only flower 3 at a time, but if you find a sure keeper it would be cool. Maybe a swap of some sort will be in order eventually. Man I'm liking the frost on these black mambas. 26 days in and I got good looking clones of them too. Hopefully a keeper but we'll see.

No kidding. It's awfully early to have leaf concentrations of trichs that size. If it's any indication of potency, and it usually is, that's a keeper.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Next round.

I hope my indoor come out that nice. It's been a real roller coaster ride for both my plants and myself trying to dial in the specifics.

I saved the last Nepal bean with you in mind. I'm sure it's viable, the two like it popped their tails rather quickly and they were identical in sise and markings. I believe that with the right techniques you can bring it's chances of of being female up to 80%-90%, possibly even better. So one bean could be "the" bean. If you were to "X" it with something like your Mambas the potency and rosin extractions could be ridiculously high. Aside from that, these girls were very resistant to the two spot borg and that alone is a super desirable trait and hopefully strong enough to be passed on to a non-Kush. If it doesnt go to you my intent is to breed it, male or female. I may go to three tents with one specifically for males and maybe even a fourth for a monster crop.

Budbogart is another in our circle I want to pass some stock too and now I have a reliable enough vehicle to reach his part of our mountain range.

I have the money to get my new trailer now and enough of it that I should be able to afford one with room for several tents. I'm keeping my indoor to a max of two tents until I know what I'll have to work with.

Farmer P

Farmer P

It's dark like my Creamsicle rosin. What temp you at, over 200F?

I ran it at 250. I've never ran that high before, but when I tried to run hash before it didn't work so I googled it last night and that's what I came up with. It tastes good, not burned or anything.
As for your kush bean, I say go ahead and breed it and build up some stock then PM me and I'll give you my info. It's cool you got a little indoor setup started. I think the next light I get will be some sort of cob array. People have been killing it with them and they are the most efficient heat and electricity wise so it makes sense I guess. I could probably do four or six in my cabinet. Hopefully the price will fall more by the time I'm ready.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I ran it at 250. I've never ran that high before, but when I tried to run hash before it didn't work so I googled it last night and that's what I came up with. It tastes good, not burned or anything.
As for your kush bean, I say go ahead and breed it and build up some stock then PM me and I'll give you my info. It's cool you got a little indoor setup started. I think the next light I get will be some sort of cob array. People have been killing it with them and they are the most efficient heat and electricity wise so it makes sense I guess. I could probably do four or six in my cabinet. Hopefully the price will fall more by the time I'm ready.

Hah, I know one bean sounds pretty pathetic, ROFL. I wouldn't waste my time to get a single seed to you. I will be breeding others.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The girls (hopeful) survive another 35F night with the help of a quarter tank of propane. This weather has been a b*tch but the storm clouds have parted and we have a series of 70F+ days on the horison.

This will be the last time I use Jiffy pots so early in the season considering their saturated walls are an excellent conductor of the seedling killing cold air. Next time, bigger plastic pots with more dirt will insulate far better.

But they hang on still, even if only by a thread... and the Royal Nepal are showing their hardiness by continuing their growth despite the adverse conditions (right side, just breaking the soil).

20180419 101431

Farmer P

Farmer P

A heat mat, a timer, and a dome would probably keep them warm and save you some propane. It worked well for me in my garage this winter. I had the timer 15 on/15 off. They were enjoying nice summer conditions in there while I was freezing lol. I care more about the plants comfort than my own.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

A heat mat, a timer, and a dome would probably keep them warm and save you some propane. It worked well for me in my garage this winter. I had the timer 15 on/15 off. They were enjoying nice summer conditions in there while I was freezing lol. I care more about the plants comfort than my own.

You mean the heat mat on a timer? I can't believe I didn't think of that, doh! I should have bought two timers when I got the one for the lights. I wasn't using it because it was getting too hot even with a couple layers of cardboard separating them, but that was also constantly on after around 25min. I do have the dome still. I'll try that. Thanks.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The little ones did not approve of the dome even with the slight increase in temperature. I'm starting to wonder if my problem isn't so much the temps but fresh air. They did better when it was 65F+ outside but I also had all my windows open. I think I may have misdiagnosed the problem once again. If I end up killing them all then I'll just start over. After all the seeds I threw away I'm not all that attached anymore and I'm going to source all my girls locally from now on for better adapted plants. I think the Creamsicle and the Royal Nepal are going to be the most resilient because of it.

Farmer P

Farmer P

Oh well it was worth a try I guess. I keep a thermometer/hygrometer in the dome with them to make sure it doesn't get too hot. The good news like you said is warmer weather is upon us at least for a week or so. It should be much warmer tomorrow down here in the south. Happy 4-20!!!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Oh well it was worth a try I guess. I keep a thermometer/hygrometer in the dome with them to make sure it doesn't get too hot. The good news like you said is warmer weather is upon us at least for a week or so. It should be much warmer tomorrow down here in the south. Happy 4-20!!!

O sh*t, it is 4/20. Right back atcha!!!.

So... After much trial and even more error, I've got em dialed. When I watered them yesterday I saw a rainbow oil slick on the surface. Wasn't the cold they were having problems with, it was the propane heater. It was poisoning them.

Didn't use the heater last night and it dropped into the mid 40'sF. A f^ck, they did not give, but waved their little leaves merrily. It is only 54F and the light has already been on almost 2hrs. They're the happiest I've ever seen them. Also, if you have a cooler Cree CXB3590 like mine, drop it as low as you can. They love it at only a few inches away.

20180420 073812
20180420 073959
20180420 073844
20180420 073951

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Now that I know how well the CXB3590s work and how to use them, I can see that it's time to add more. The seedlings are loving the single however the light is not reaching all of them very well at the height I have it set. It's an excellent diffuser but they're starting to look like a fairy circle and I don't want them all bent over (I'll post pics in the morning). I'm adding a 200w double of the same make. Three should give me enough light and overlap that I can raise them up a bit and make the reflective mylar more useful for light diffusion.

5182WPcQ8xL SY400

I'm so excited. The double has all the features I wanted and didn't realise the single didn't have when I ordered it. Not the sellers fault, I just assumed. I'm hoping that the single can still be daisy chained as an end fixture but I won't be at all disappointed if it can't. It'll be my new seedling lamp when I get a small enough tent to diffuse a 100w fixture and am starting fewer seedlings.

This should get them to a point where all the ones going outside can be hardened off by the end of May. I'll put the three lights to use on this batch of indoor because more were successful than I planned. Shouldn't be too many males. Some are fem' d, but for the rest I'm hoping the ethylene gas, short daylight hours, and cool weather, will produce almost exclusively females. As long as the propane poisoning didn't shock them male. I do need to raise the humidity though. I'm thinking they will sex during first two weeks of June. Just realising I might need to let them sex before final transplanting so they dont get shocked male. Indoor/outdoor people please help me out here. I'm in uncharted territory.

This is gonna be so cool.
Zx090 s 200x150

Well, maybe not ^^That Cool^^

Last edited:
Farmer P

Farmer P

Looking good SJ! Once you get the new light you should be able to rock that tent. How about knocking out a quick run indoor and start the outdoor later? I've heard if you let them get too big and woody they don't do as well being transplanted outside. I'm not sure if that's true though, as I haven't done the experiment myself. I've also always been under the impression that the sex of a plant was already determined in the seed when it formed which is why generally you'll usually get about half and half. I've heard people say you can influence sex, but never really believed it. Make sure and keep accurate count so we can see the results. You could also do like some of the guys here and flip them right from seed then re-veg the fems. I personally don't like the way they look while re-vegging but it does help to save space by keeping them small until you get rid of the males.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looking good SJ! Once you get the new light you should be able to rock that tent. How about knocking out a quick run indoor and start the outdoor later? I've heard if you let them get too big and woody they don't do as well being transplanted outside. I'm not sure if that's true though, as I haven't done the experiment myself. I've also always been under the impression that the sex of a plant was already determined in the seed when it formed which is why generally you'll usually get about half and half. I've heard people say you can influence sex, but never really believed it. Make sure and keep accurate count so we can see the results. You could also do like some of the guys here and flip them right from seed then re-veg the fems. I personally don't like the way they look while re-vegging but it does help to save space by keeping them small until you get rid of the males.

From what Jorge Cervantes (Cannabis Encyclopedia) says, environmental factors will start designating sex from the moment they start their third set of true leaves (not coty's) and continue till they pre-flower. It wasn't all in one sentence but I summed it up from multiple comments. From what I understand, females can designate early in that growth period using ethylene. I'm betting the people who flip before pre-flower get a much higher concentration of males due to stressing them.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

This light is really effective at around 80F. I am seriously impressed that a 100w wall draw light is capable of growing two plants all the way through flower. My seedlings are growing, off the hook fast, and now that I have this light the leaf sets are stacking up super tight. When I was a kid a setup to grow was crazy expensive and took ridiculous amounts of power. Our only options were outdoor grows, and now, anyone can grow killer weed for less than $300 and a barely noticeable difference in the power bill.

20180422 151916
20180422 151947
20180422 151955
20180422 152009

Latest posts

Top Bottom