Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Just checked out a bunch of this grow journal. Nice work outdoors. And I see you've come indoors. I skipped a bunch and ended up on the last few messages. ADHD. Missed some specifics I'm sure. Are you setting up in the camper trailer? And I swear I read something about solar power? Yes! I'm really hoping to be able to build a grow shed at some point. Interested your solar efforts if that's the plan.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Just checked out a bunch of this grow journal. Nice work outdoors. And I see you've come indoors. I skipped a bunch and ended up on the last few messages. ADHD. Missed some specifics I'm sure. Are you setting up in the camper trailer? And I swear I read something about solar power? Yes! I'm really hoping to be able to build a grow shed at some point. Interested your solar efforts if that's the plan.

Posolutely going for a full sol powered grow. It's a couple/few grand+ to get the solar parts (that's overkill but people like us, ADHD/OCD, love overkill) and I've had a few hiccups that've stalled it, but I should have everything in the next couple months (hopefully that, or sooner).

The basics; I'm trying to hit somewhere around 1Kw. I'm using the roughly 20-30% more efficient monocrystalline panels. I have two 100w panels so far, a 1500w pure sign inverter, a 30a PWM charge controller (charge controller was cheap, but pointless because I will need to switch to an MPPT to run the number of panels and batteries I need), and a 100aHr solar deep cycle battery (This will be the most expensive part of the build. You cannot use standard deep cycle batteries, they are built for cranking amperage, will wear out quickly, and are unsafe under charge conditions. Whereas the solar batteries are designed to produce a constant voltage trickle at low current and can handle the charge cycles if kept over 50%. The solar deep cycle will run about $200-$300 per 100aHr and I'll want 400-600aHr or more by the time I'm done.) Then there are a ton of misc cables, brackets, fuses, and such, that add up very quickly.

So there's the basic summary. I could have gone with cheaper parts but if you've seen enough of my growing log, you'll know that I can't bring myself to buy substandard sh*t. Cheap price is ok, cheaply built is no bueno. It will backfire on you at the worst possible times.

Thank you for taking an interest in my journal. Sometimes I post to excess but I try to keep it interesting. I used to write regular articles for a precious metals publication and old habits die hard.

My equipment is boxed up for the move but here is the battery, inverter, and couple of panels with brackets (Brackets are also way expensive at $50 ea set, lowest price, even to fabricate.)

20180502 061835
20180502 054154

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

So you know, you can probably set one up at around half of my projected goal. Maybe 500watts or a little more. Depending on the sise of your grow.

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Posolutely going for a full sol powered grow. It's a couple/few grand+ to get the solar parts (that's overkill but people like us, ADHD/OCD, love overkill) and I've had a few hiccups that've stalled it, but I should have everything in the next couple months (hopefully that, or sooner).

The basics; I'm trying to hit somewhere around 1Kw. I'm using the roughly 20-30% more efficient monocrystalline panels. I have two 100w panels so far, a 1500w pure sign inverter, a 30a PWM charge controller (charge controller was cheap, but pointless because I will need to switch to an MPPT to run the number of panels and batteries I need), and a 100aHr solar deep cycle battery (This will be the most expensive part of the build. You cannot use standard deep cycle batteries, they are built for cranking amperage, will wear out quickly, and are unsafe under charge conditions. Whereas the solar batteries are designed to produce a constant voltage trickle at low current and can handle the charge cycles if kept over 50%. The solar deep cycle will run about $200-$300 per 100aHr and I'll want 400-600aHr or more by the time I'm done.) Then there are a ton of misc cables, brackets, fuses, and such, that add up very quickly.

So there's the basic summary. I could have gone with cheaper parts but if you've seen enough of my growing log, you'll know that I can't bring myself to buy substandard sh*t. Cheap price is ok, cheaply built is no bueno. It will backfire on you at the worst possible times.

Thank you for taking an interest in my journal. Sometimes I post to excess but I try to keep it interesting. I used to write regular articles for a precious metals publication and old habits die hard.

My equipment is boxed up for the move but here is the battery, inverter, and couple of panels with brackets (Brackets are also way expensive at $50 ea set, lowest price, even to fabricate.)

View attachment 797024 View attachment 797025
No need to apologise for actually communicating thoroughly thru literature. Writing your thoughts out and speaking to others is a gift. I like to ramble too. The narcissist in me. Hahahaha. I'll be watching. Nice beginning to an off grid quality set up. Set it up and package it for Tesla. Maybe he'll invest in a long term production contract. Lol.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

No need to apologise for actually communicating thoroughly thru literature. Writing your thoughts out and speaking to others is a gift. I like to ramble too. The narcissist in me. Hahahaha. I'll be watching. Nice beginning to an off grid quality set up. Set it up and package it for Tesla. Maybe he'll invest in a long term production contract. Lol.

Thank you, you're very gracious for a narcissist, lol.

Sh*t, their tech is so far beyond me. I wish.

Oh, I forgot to answer. Yes, I'm currently set up in a 30' 5th wheel and I'm moving to my own 25' I just bought. My plan is to run the grow and computer system completely off-grid. I'm sick of depending on expensive grid tied electricity. My WiFi is allready 100% cellular and I'm waiting for ATT to go full wireless high speed in my area, like they've been promising.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

This soil is beautimus. A day ana half and only s sprinkle of water needed to touch up some drier zones I found with my moisture probe. The mix of peat and pearlite make this soil very thirsty until it reaches a point of critical saturation. Then it will begin to sluff the water. Perfect for plants that like arid zones and soil with good drainage. The girls (hopeful) are starting to grab. The manager at the hydro shop offered me a free 5ver of tea if I bring in the bucket. So I'll pick that up today and it will probably be enough for the veg stage of the indoor. Praise God.

It looks like it's possible I'll lose one of the Banana Ice Cream, I shouldn't need to point it out, just look for the most leaf curl. There are a couple more on the the fence but every time I've transplanted before it's always looked ugly for a minute. It is very stressful and they were already struggling. I probably won't lose any if I feed them today. Wish I had some aloe to pour in and give them a little root first aid.

20180503 055711
20180503 055719
20180503 055802

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I'm kinda irritated with my hydropon dealer. I think it's really cool that they gave me a free 5ver of tea but annoyed that they seem oblivious to it's possible effects of sexing a higher percentage of my seedlings male. It's Krazy Kelp by Biodiversity and it's NPK is 1-0-17. After they filled my bucket I looked at the numbers and asked, "Is this for bloom?" They said "No, it's for all stages." Me, "Are you sure? Cause that's a pretty big number at the end there." Them, "Yes."

Somebody help me out here, please. From what I've learned, low nitrogen/high potassium is a bloom cycle formula. Isn't it? Are these guys just parroting the advertising?

It didn't inspire much confidence when earlier I had asked how much was the ScroG they were displaying in the showroom and they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to describe it to them as "the shelf looking thing with the grate" before they finally clued in. The price they quoted sounded good at least. Somewhere between $150-$200 and I think it was built just right to fit my grow tent sise. Some local company makes it and they allowed them to put up a display demo. It was a very nice powder coated steel rack with a 4" grid and adjustable to around 60".

As far as my little ones today. Instead of adding that free tea, I went with some Dr Earth Root Zone 2-4-2 that was leftover from when I transplanted my clones last year. Good stuff. Was looking at the kids, thinking they did seem a little pale green, and with the purple yellow spotting and curl on some of the older leaves, the pattern of damage looks to me like a mobile nute. My guess, they're a bit nitrogen deficient. Root Zone is low in potash and has aloe and yucca. Seems like a perfect match for my sitch. Some of them were already perking up by early evening. I'll post pics in the morning.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Root Zone appears to be doing the trick but now my trailer smells like old eggs wrapped in rotten a$$holes and fresh leather, lol. Oh well, it'll dissipate eventually and it was well worth it to save my babies.

My hygrometer just took a sh*t on me so I need to get some new batteries. Six months of constantly being on isn't bad for 3 watch batteries.

20180504 064424
20180504 064430
20180504 064442

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Thanks to Toaster79 I'm understanding my equipment better. I seriously underestimated the intensity of my COBs. I was cooking the sh*t out of my beanlings. Where I thought 18" was too great a gap with my 200w fixture, I should have been at least 47". I also found out the 100w single was only 67w. I'm still not exactly sure where to place it, though they do seem to be happy with it at somewhere over 36". I'm going to crack the 100w and add a better driver with a dimmer. It is such a waste running a 120w capable 3590 at 67w, I think. From what I've been reading, the differences in driver's may not just change the intensity but might change the spectrum as well. I am in way over my head so I might be limping through this season with limited knowledge but I will understand this tech after a bit more studying.

I will have to buy another, taller, grow tent soon. I've almost maxed it's height and it's still too close even now. I will post pics of the kids in the morning. They have responded very well to not being crispified.

Live and learn. I've learned much more from my mistakes than my successes.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The 200w has been dimmed slightly and the 100w is dropped just, so. This appears to be a very acceptable position and intensity for the beanlings.

20180505 054520
20180505 054441
20180505 054447
20180505 054454

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm kinda irritated with my hydropon dealer. I think it's really cool that they gave me a free 5ver of tea but annoyed that they seem oblivious to it's possible effects of sexing a higher percentage of my seedlings male. It's Krazy Kelp by Biodiversity and it's NPK is 1-0-17. After they filled my bucket I looked at the numbers and asked, "Is this for bloom?" They said "No, it's for all stages." Me, "Are you sure? Cause that's a pretty big number at the end there." Them, "Yes."

Somebody help me out here, please. From what I've learned, low nitrogen/high potassium is a bloom cycle formula. Isn't it? Are these guys just parroting the advertising?

It didn't inspire much confidence when earlier I had asked how much was the ScroG they were displaying in the showroom and they had no idea what I was talking about. I had to describe it to them as "the shelf looking thing with the grate" before they finally clued in. The price they quoted sounded good at least. Somewhere between $150-$200 and I think it was built just right to fit my grow tent sise. Some local company makes it and they allowed them to put up a display demo. It was a very nice powder coated steel rack with a 4" grid and adjustable to around 60".

As far as my little ones today. Instead of adding that free tea, I went with some Dr Earth Root Zone 2-4-2 that was leftover from when I transplanted my clones last year. Good stuff. Was looking at the kids, thinking they did seem a little pale green, and with the purple yellow spotting and curl on some of the older leaves, the pattern of damage looks to me like a mobile nute. My guess, they're a bit nitrogen deficient. Root Zone is low in potash and has aloe and yucca. Seems like a perfect match for my sitch. Some of them were already perking up by early evening. I'll post pics in the morning.
You are correct in your thoughts. Low N higher K during flower. The staff doesn't know what they are talking about.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

You are correct in your thoughts. Low N higher K during flower. The staff doesn't know what they are talking about.

Thank you for the confirm. It's really appreciated. I got the correct info from Cervantes' Cannabis Encyclopedia. If they were teaching out of it at Oaksterdam it's info is probably accurate. I use it as a baseline/control to filter info I get from other sources.

Again, thank you. Cervantes may be a guru but he doesn't know everything and it's good to hear from veterans like you to verify.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
oh shucks..... Thanks for the kind words. As with anything in life it seems, there is a lot of disinformation concerning cannabis especially, but it is getting better all the time. Once researchers are allowed to catch up and truly research cannabis after years of prohibition only then will we be able to get decent accurate data concerning our beloved plant......... Casting aside the stoner lore and urban myths. Looking forward to that for sure.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

oh shucks..... Thanks for the kind words. As with anything in life it seems, there is a lot of disinformation concerning cannabis especially, but it is getting better all the time. Once researchers are allowed to catch up and truly research cannabis after years of prohibition only then will we be able to get decent accurate data concerning our beloved plant......... Casting aside the stoner lore and urban myths. Looking forward to that for sure.

That's why I try to keep an open mind even when people make seemingly stupid a$$ claims. I wonder if Biodiversity had intentioned this product to be a part A/B/C of a total nutrient regime and was misrepresented by ignorant workers. I believe I read their statement to claim that it was "good for all stages" but my eysight and memory haven't been so reliable of late. So I dont want to wrongly tarnish their rep.

I will save this for the bloom cycle. I already had plans to use a combination of fish/crab/kelp meals to make tea for my outdoor girls anyway. I'd like to try Advanced Nutrients again this year for my indoor. I can afford that. The number$$$ were ridiculous for 1200 gal of soil last year and I still spent around $3k when I decided to use the far less expensive combination of Fox Farms and Earth Juice at a third to half dilution rate.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Went to a genetics exchange meet this morning at the hydro store. What a f^ckin joke. A few of the coolest snowbirds, one guy with a bunch of different GG X's, one dork selling quarter grown plants out of his trunk for $25 (Saying he didn't know much about the strain but claimed to know it's production capabilities in depth. I never heard of the strain and he reeked of BS), the rest were a bunch of sad hipsters sharing a single vape pen (They looked like a Beatnick softball team.)

I left quickly cause the idiot selling the plants out of his trunk was going to get us all busted. The only one who seemed to have his sh*t almost together and was there to actually trade, lost me when he set his flats of clones (in cubes) directly onto the hot concrete. No big loss though, everyone around here grows GG so it's worthless.

If the guys at the hydro store want to do this right then next time they should set up an area for stalls and charge a deposit that will be refunded when the traders show up with their goods. They also need to set ground rules like, no cash sales on the premises, to keep us all safe.

Whatever. I'll get on Weedmaps and find a legit medical distributer to get what I'm looking for. Had to at least check it out though.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

After a couple days of less intense light, all but one are taking off. Even the weakest Banana Ice Cream looks like it's starting to heal, a little. The Orange Creamsicle are impressive. By the end of next week they should look like proper plants.

One of these days I'll find someone to service my camera around here and I'll be back to real HD pics.

20180505 202631
20180505 202639
20180505 203034
20180505 202659
20180505 202713

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Roots must've established and I think the dimmer is finally low enough. I'm still trippin that I had to back them up and dim them down so much.

20180507 203823
20180507 203834
20180507 203846

OldSmokie76

OldSmokie76

Went to a genetics exchange meet this morning at the hydro store. What a f^ckin joke. A few of the coolest snowbirds, one guy with a bunch of different GG X's, one dork selling quarter grown plants out of his trunk for $25 (Saying he didn't know much about the strain but claimed to know it's production capabilities in depth. I never heard of the strain and he reeked of BS), the rest were a bunch of sad hipsters sharing a single vape pen (They looked like a Beatnick softball team.)

I left quickly cause the idiot selling the plants out of his trunk was going to get us all busted. The only one who seemed to have his sh*t almost together and was there to actually trade, lost me when he set his flats of clones (in cubes) directly onto the hot concrete. No big loss though, everyone around here grows GG so it's worthless.

If the guys at the hydro store want to do this right then next time they should set up an area for stalls and charge a deposit that will be refunded when the traders show up with their goods. They also need to set ground rules like, no cash sales on the premises, to keep us all safe.

Whatever. I'll get on Weedmaps and find a legit medical distributer to get what I'm looking for. Had to at least check it out though.
Beatnick softball! Lololol. Did they all have the same shaved up and slicked over hair cut with long beards. Sporting the same dark Ray-Ban sunglasses and skinny jeans? I bet at least one of them had suspenders and a bowtie. Haha

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Beatnick softball! Lololol. Did they all have the same shaved up and slicked over hair cut with long beards. Sporting the same dark Ray-Ban sunglasses and skinny jeans? I bet at least one of them had suspenders and a bowtie. Haha

Nah, you're thinking of East coast. These are Cali hipsters, they wear shorts and t-shirts here. All I know is, somewhere there was an empty Apple store. It was like a gay mountain man convention on Spring Break.

Latest posts

Top Bottom