Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks like they're loving it!!

I can't wait to see em bloom. It's gonna be fun.

Thanks. I'm looking forward to seeing if they produce like last year without spending a fortune in nutes.

I love the look of the freshly transplanted girls. I wish I could figure out a way to keep them super tight like this. They'd make great topiaries for my deck corners when i build it.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 6/12/18 Daily

20180612 073546

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The top on the bottom right plant is fat. They sure are enjoying their time outside :cool:

You're talking the freshly transplanted Orange Creamsicle, the plant furthest to the right? The recent transplants are super tight. I'm really happy with how they turned out and I think they'll produce well. This has been fun. I'm saving up for fence and deck materials. After the deck is built I'll restart the tent. It should be perfect timing for clones.

More than that, I'm really looking forward to enough space to play Robo Recall and Arizona Sunshine on my Rift VR. It will even be better for playing Eve Valkyrie. That game is sick and sitting in my swivel gaming chair with room to play will make the experience even better. Also, when I invite everyone over for BBQs they can play the Blu and Blu2 experience with room to look around without running into walls, cabinets, or smacking my TV with the controllers, hehe.

In order in the picture from top down...

Banana Crack, Banana Ice Cream
Banana Ice Cream , Orange Creamsicle
Banana Ice Cream, Idunnoes

I'm starting to have doubts about the Idunnoes. It's preflowers have the long pointed vase shape but it's the only one without any hairs I can see. I wonder if some strains male flowers look like fems when they start. It would suck if it did. If it is, no biggie. I'll make a clone (probably Banana Crack) and replace it but it's cool that it's an unknown suprise. Whatever though. After culling so many it doesn't bug me much now.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

The view from just outside my living room window...

20180613 191424

We're bringing a tractor in to fill in over the conduit to my electrical service. As soon as it is done I'll have a beautiful walking path of about 150' directly to my girls. There's black oaks, scrub oaks, cedars, pines, manzanita, moss covered granite upcroppings, and a little meadow. It's an awesome little walk with bluebellies, skinks, alligator lizards, big blue grey squirrels, and an Audubon bird watchers dream come true. I can't identify all the birds but my favorites are the tiny goldfinches. This trippy little bird hopped up next to me this morning and started chirping at me. Totally fearless. Wish I had my phone in hand to get a pic.
20180613 191411

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looks beautiful. Sounds like a nice little oasis to me with all that wildlife.

Everything is nice but about 30min of tiny "no see 'em" mosquitos that come from the creek across the road behind me at sundown. The little bastards always get my legs because I can't feel them due to nerve damage. I do itch afterward, which is kinda f^cked up, lol.

Have bats flying past my head right now. They catch me off guard sometimes when they chirp while flying past my ear, but they love those mosquitos I attract. The circle of life, man. They work better than citronella candles and they're fun to watch. When I put my hands up I can sometimes feel them brush past.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 6/14/18

20180614 073545

As soon as the conduit is covered this will be the other end of the nature path that leads from the garden to the front porch of my trailer.
20180614 075609
20180614 075642

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I know about those guys. They are very annoying but man that’s really cool about the bats. Feeling them brush by must be a trip.

I get people's fear of bats because they've been demonised by Hollywood, but they are extremely beneficial creatures and excellent hunters. I think it's great when I hear a mosquito buzzing and a bat swoops past, instantly, no more buzz. You'd think that a few bats couldn't put a dent in the mosquito population but they wipe out hundreds of those little pricks near my trailer in minutes.

I should build them houses. Like bird houses but no Windows and access from the bottom with thick insulation to protect them from the heat of summer.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I get people's fear of bats because they've been demonised by Hollywood, but they are extremely beneficial creatures and excellent hunters. I think it's great when I hear a mosquito buzzing and a bat swoops past, instantly, no more buzz. You'd think that a few bats couldn't put a dent in the mosquito population but they wipe out hundreds of those little pricks near my trailer in minutes.

I should build them houses. Like bird houses but no Windows and access from the bottom with thick insulation to protect them from the heat of summer.

I'll look online in how to build bat housing and how to make it attractive to them. I say, "The more the merrier."

justiceman

justiceman

Agreed they have been demonized and to add to that people are often scared of what they cannot see. Bats are awesome creatures and I like their poop too :cool:. That's a great idea to build a bat house. Looking forward to seeing how yours will look.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Woohoo!!!, the Idunnoes finally sprung some hairs.
1329847071 hamster doing back flips

She's a lanky one.
20180614 142020

A slight breeze bent her over as I was taking the pic. I should probably super-crop her, hugh? ...or sign her up for the WNBA.
20180614 142004

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Agreed they have been demonized and to add to that people are often scared of what they cannot see. Bats are awesome creatures and I like their poop too :cool:. That's a great idea to build a bat house. Looking forward to seeing how yours will look.

Bats are fragile and susceptible to dying from overheating. If I can't guarantee their safety with a DIY, I'll buy a prebuilt box. I wonder if those cooling sheets would work inside the box. Mostly, I think if it's well insulated, has good ventilation, and is covered by shade all day, they'll probably be safe. I don't expect that they'll use it for hibernation, just summer.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Bats are fragile and susceptible to dying from overheating. If I can't guarantee their safety with a DIY, I'll buy a prebuilt box. I wonder if those cooling sheets would work inside the box. Mostly, I think if it's well insulated, has good ventilation, and is covered by shade all day, they'll probably be safe. I don't expect that they'll use it for hibernation, just summer.

Maybe I'll put a water source like a small fountain near it as well. Would probably help attract them and I bet there's a way to bait it.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 6/15/18

20180615 091844

Gardensafe insecticidal soap deals with most of my hopper problem and my girls grow like crazy for a couple weeks after using it.
20180615 091634

Not a leafhopper to be found anywhere and they were everywhere. Doesn't work for sh*t on buffalo treehoppers though. I've sprayed Neem and doesn't work on these guys either. The females damage stalks and spread disease when depositing eggs.
20180615 095215

20180615 091322

If I read another pest control guide say a forceful stream of water gets rid of them, I'm going reach through the internet, grab them by their f^cking necks and forcefully pull till their heads are completely dislodged from their a$$es.

justiceman

justiceman

It's alright the wind is just doing some LST for you hahaha. Those Idunnoes sure took their time to show. Those treehoppers look tenacious. Dang bugs I wonder what they do not like.

Top Bottom