Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I am no stranger to pain. Chronic constant pain changes how you think. Been living in a fixed income since 2004. Fuck man being able to cover grow costs would be nice! Whats the law say you can do? As far as distribution to other medical people? Can you just sell enough to cover costs? No permit or license?

I don't know with the new laws. Before everything changed I was able to anonymously sell to dispensaries and delivery services. Nowadays its seed to sale tracking (thanks for that great idea Oregon "gov", you a$$ hats, lol). From what I understand we can "give" away up to an oz, but check on that. I read most of the new laws but they're ridiculously complicated, so in the great tradition of my people, "I don't give a sh*t". As far as I'm concerned if it's not immoral, it's no one's business but the people you choose to tell.

Now, I want to make this clear. If you believe that it is immoral to trade in this manner, please don't do it. To me, these laws are ridiculous and arbitrary. If something wasn't legal a year ago and now is, or vice versa, that's idiocy. Either something is right or it isn't. I do my best to operate within the system, but for the sake of a survival and my right to pursuit of happiness (according to what our country was founded on), I will do what I need to do. Let me remind you, no matter what the state law says, we're breaking federal law if we are in posession, so WTF ever? Stay off the radar and trade with people you know.

A sh*tty judge stole my SSDI and $2k a mo from me and I was stuck with SSI, so as far as I'm concerned, those pricks owe me.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Totally agree. The man can eat a dick.

I want to barter with a contractor to do some minor repairs around the house. Every time I attemt to fix something I totally fuck up my back and am down for weeks...

I want to know who the hell is paying those dispensary prices? Touted as a replacement for dangerous narcotics who can afford the dispensary medicine?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Who's paying the housing prices in this state? I was a bullion broker and didn't break out of middle class income. Wasn't even close.

The prices you're talking about are in the rich coastal communities. LA, San Diego, Morrow Bay, Monterey, Frisco, etc... Join the rest of us in the inland country and you'll see better prices. But you're in an excellent place to get the best trades for your flowers. I'd be livin large in San Diego, hehehe.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10/27/18 (tent)

I don't know what's going on with Banana Ice Cream #4. It appears to have gone hermi. It's got preflowers that are femal and male, and I know that's what I'm going for, but they're on the wrong branches. Is it possible that the colloidal went systemic? I'm gonna grow it out to get the pollen either way.

I never saw any instructions as to the correct amount to apply so I gave a few blasts to each leaf set. Oh well, live and learn. The Royal Nepal is looking fine. Maybe this strain is more susceptible to herming from stress or environment. Sh*t, I don't know. This is uncharted territory for me.
20181027 133717
20181027 133805

20181027 133920 001

Found another Orange Creamsicle x Chocolate Diesel bean. Was giving my friend the QP left over from last year so I could free up some mason jars and decided to look through it for seeds. Yay!
20181027 093410

Wishbone

Wishbone

Who's paying the housing prices in this state? I was a bullion broker and didn't break out of middle class income. Wasn't even close.

The prices you're talking about are in the rich coastal communities. LA, San Diego, Morrow Bay, Monterey, Frisco, etc... Join the rest of us in the inland country and you'll see better prices. But you're in an excellent place to get the best trades for your flowers. I'd be livin large in San Diego, hehehe.

Out of state tourists for the most part would be my guess, in CO that was most of the customers that I used to see.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

@Wishbone @stiffneck

I used to buy at dispensaries. My thinking was, "Where else am I going to find a selection of primo weed?" That was before I found delivery services that delivered to my door with lower prices. But that's just me and, all in all, our local dispensary prices aren't that bad and they all stock fire.

The prices Stiffneck talks about in his area are simply the result of supply vs demand. They don't need to, and in a way, can't afford to be cheaper. I learned that in the bullion business. When we lowered our prices too much we would get bought out of all but the least desirable gold and silver. If a bullion shop does that too often, instead of having a rep for being inexpensive, they'll get a rep for being out of stock or only carrying substandard products. They must resupply quickly. If the distributors see enough stores get requests for expedited resupply they raise their prices, and on up the supply chain. The supply chain will raise prices until they start losing business, then they'll stabilise.

Now look at the concentration of liquor stores in a metropolitan area then think about how many dispensaries it would take to effectively service the same area. The local ordinances heavily restrict the number of dispensaries creating the initial supply problem. They do this, not so much to avoid a public nuisance, but to make the few they allow so desirable that investors are willing to pay the high taxes and licensing fees.

You have your answer as to why prices have to be high. To stay in business dispensaries MUST keep their prices as high as the market will allow. I think it's less about greed and more about survival.

This seems like a plausible explanation fo ne ot maybe I'm just really high. I'm definitely really high though.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10/28/18 (flower showcase)

Banana Ice Cream (plant #3), beautiful, dense, resinous, super heavy with crystals, it looks great and has a potent stone...
20181028 040144
20181028 040231
20181028 040321
20181028 040339
...and it smells like sh*t. It stinks like a$$ wrapped in a Goodyear radial and it tastes like... sh*t, I don't know what it tastes like, but it's nasty with a little sugar at the end. I'm hopin this is just one of those that needs to cure but I ain't holdin out much hope. It does not taste anything like the other bananas.

I know, it's Labrador, hehe

Farmer P

Farmer P

I think these dispensaries are cleaning house. Imagine if you were able to sell your gold and silver at 6 to 8 times spot price!! The bastards have the market cornered and are taking advantage I say. They buy at 800 to 1000 per lb and turn around and sell at 60 an eighth! 7680 per lb.
My buddy went and talked to a local disp owner and the guy didn't even want real top shelf?? My guess is most of his customers have never smoked real top shelf and he knows if they do they won't want his flavorless fake top shelf weed any more. I've smoked plenty of weed that I would be happy to pay 50 an eighth for but apparently if you want that around here you have to grow it yourself. I remember when top shelf was going for 5K per lb. The wholesale price nosedived but the retail is the same?

On a good note my cookies N chem is tasting pretty dank! I can't wait to see how good it's going to be grown indoors away from the bloodsucking thrips! And speaking of thrips next year I got something for them. Check out this website. I was looking through their online catalog yesterday. Lots of cool options.

https://www.arbico-organics.com/pro...mblyseius-cucumeris-neoseiulus/mite-predators

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

I think these dispensaries are cleaning house. Imagine if you were able to sell your gold and silver at 6 to 8 times spot price!! The bastards have the market cornered and are taking advantage I say. They buy at 800 to 1000 per lb and turn around and sell at 60 an eighth! 7680 per lb.
My buddy went and talked to a local disp owner and the guy didn't even want real top shelf?? My guess is most of his customers have never smoked real top shelf and he knows if they do they won't want his flavorless fake top shelf weed any more. I've smoked plenty of weed that I would be happy to pay 50 an eighth for but apparently if you want that around here you have to grow it yourself. I remember when top shelf was going for 5K per lb. The wholesale price nosedived but the retail is the same?

On a good note my cookies N chem is tasting pretty dank! I can't wait to see how good it's going to be grown indoors away from the bloodsucking thrips! And speaking of thrips next year I got something for them. Check out this website. I was looking through their online catalog yesterday. Lots of cool options.

https://www.arbico-organics.com/pro...mblyseius-cucumeris-neoseiulus/mite-predators

Nice, bookmarked.

Im not saying they're not making a lot of money, because they are, but you also need to consider their substantial overhead costs. Some of my customers complained about the spread on bullion and scrap gold until I reminded them that we had very high expenses as well, and to remain viable we had to make up for cost in a wider spread or higher volume.

On top of purchases the dispensaries have to pay for licensing, bud tenders, security, rent, utilities, etc... Then the owners still need to make enough profit to make the business worth it. I dont know if you've been a business owner with employees, but when it comes to taxes, wages aren't deducted from profit before taxes are evaluated, and business owners must match social security contributions. Employees are ridiculously expensive. Wages are taxed twice, once as profit, then as income. It's absolute bullsh*t, but that's the way it works. Not making excuses, just showing costs customers often don't consider.

That being said, as a free market advocate, dispensary owners should absolutely charge as much as the market allows. Let the market define what is excessive. In the meantime, their high prices promote a thriving and affordable grey market for those who trade privately, win/win. Let them have their fun. Hahaha.

Free market baby!

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10/28/18 (tent)

I think I was wrong about mixed gender flowers all over BIC#4. The preflowers are hard to identify early on this strain. It appears everything is where it's supposed to be. Yay.
20181028 082001
20181028 082046
20181028 082132

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Results for anyone who's thinking of buying a trim bowl. Buds after stick trim. Nine quick spins on this batch of Banana Ice Cream. Eleven spins will trim it pretty tight but it can make them look loose, depending on strain and dryness.
20181029 154406
20181029 154522
20181029 154533
20181029 154611
20181029 154550

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

20181020 170353

Banana Ice Cream #3, dried and machine trimmed, weighed in at 60oz (3.75lb, 1.7kg). Total on the first three plants is 8lbs. 2.5lb more to tie last year (about 3lb after hand trimming). Sweet! The biggest plant is next and the Idunnoes is getting fat because I upped it's nutes to the bag recommendations. I think I'm going to reach my 15lb goal, yay.

As it dries the BIC#3 has been losing that nasty tire smell, thank goodness.

Last edited:
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10/29/18

Do fem pollen branches flower preflower buds? I'm seeing fem preflowers on the branches I'm applying colloidal silver to. I hope this works. If it doesn't, I'll have to run them super late to see if they pop nanners because I can't smoke em and I don't want to lose these genetics.
20181029 174509
20181029 174558
20181029 174724

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Broke out the rosin press today and there was hydraulic fluid everywhere. Replacing for $20. I like the color.
81LnCjvHSVL AC SL1500

Wanted to get the 8ton 1200w press. It was twice as wide with 4 elements, for twice the price, but it had cool billet cutouts for support pieces. Went on eBay to see if any were available and dude was gone. It's a bummer too because he sold the 5x5 for $400 and the 5x10 for $800. Way cheaper than any comparable press and more pressure than most. This guy must've been doing this out of his garage. When it came to producing quality rosin presses he was punching way above his weight class.

The remanufactured bottle jack he used leaked. So what, I can replace it for $20. Many of them don't even come with one.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 10/30/18

Idunnoes
20181031 081551
20181031 081620

The preflowers on Banana Ice Cream #4 are developed enough for me to tell that she is 100% hermed. I can't afford a small tent this month to quarantine her. Unless I can come up with some cash by the time I'm certain the Royal Nepal will produce pollen then I'll probably have to cull her. It is late enough in the season that she isn't a threat to any neighbors plants so if I can makeshift a box or something to put her inside then it might work but I'm not sure I want the hassle. I'm already crossing the strain with Royal Nepal for better weight and potency and I wasn't very impressed with the Banana Ice Cream yields this year. If I was doing this with a Banana Crack then I would do what it takes to make it happen, but this strain, while fun to grow and interesting flavors, produced mediocre phenos at best.
20181031 084304
20181031 084326
20181031 084342

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Looking good up in here... :)

Thank'ya thank'ya.

Loved that cool vid you did on your parrots. Brought back fond old memories. We used to see parrots from time to time when I lived in Santa Ana (Orange County) back in the 70's. Same thing when I lived in La Quinta (Cochella Valley). It wasn't unusual to see a parrot or cockatoo on a power line or in the fig trees and date palms. I remember ranchers b*tching about them in the dates because they caused so much damage. They were little sh*ts and tore the paper wraps off the clusters for fun, hahaha. They'd hire pros to hunt them and relocate.

When I was a kid I was never surprised at seeing native/non-native parrots, iguanas, geckos, chameleons, and lizards (never a non-native snake though, hmm?).

We don't have much of that this far North. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I'm starting to like that logic has vids now. I'll have to upload some.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Thank'ya thank'ya.

Loved that cool vid you did on your parrots. Brought back fond old memories. We used to see parrots from time to time when I lived in Santa Ana (Orange County) back in the 70's. Same thing when I lived in La Quinta (Cochella Valley). It wasn't unusual to see a parrot or cockatoo on a power line or in the fig trees and date palms. I remember ranchers b*tching about them in the dates because they caused so much damage. They were little sh*ts and tore the paper wraps off the clusters for fun, hahaha. They'd hire pros to hunt them and relocate.

When I was a kid I was never surprised at seeing native/non-native parrots, iguanas, geckos, chameleons, and lizards (never a non-native snake though, hmm?).

We don't have much of that this far North. Thanks for the stroll down memory lane. I'm starting to like that logic has vids now. I'll have to upload some.

It must have been the first month we were in this house. We had a female Rottweiler named Gretchen. One of those parrots swooped down from the pecan trees and Gretchen was able to snaych that parrot from thin air. It was dam impressive but sad. They are Beautiful Birds.

Top Bottom