Junk's Growing Log

• Thread starter SmithsJunk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 12/3/18 (tent)

The heater is working well. I still haven't kicked it up to the 250w setting. The AC outlet temp controller didn't show up till after 6 last night, nice unit. Didn't have time to set it up since they go to sleep at 6pm.
20181203 105332
20181203 105350

The Chocolate Nepal is really cool looking. Would have loved to see her grow under better environmental conditions. The parents were huge outdoor plants.
20181203 105428

It's still a trip to me how different the phenos can be between two beans from the same batch. Not one of the Banana Ice Cream I've grown look anything like any of the others. But they do grow at similar speeds, herm the same way, and produce somewhat fluffy colas. The pollen flowers still haven't opened and that's bugging me. As I've said several times, I don't want to lose those Nepal genetics. I'll be able to breath again a little once I've pollinated a few of her flowers.
20181203 105515
20181203 105720

Even on low, the heater has them in the comfortable mid-50'sF.
20181204 045145

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Brrrrrrrrr.shes getting cold over there now Junks ...

Last night was 28F. This is swimming weather in comparison. It's been waaay colder than normal this season. I'm pretty sure it's still from La Niña. These are rough years for us living at 2000ft or higher in the Cali Sierras. Last winter/spring we got more that 60 straight days of rain. I miss the normal dry warm years here when everyone is b*tching about drought. We get an occasional snow storm at my altitude around Christmas and a few after the new year. In years like this it's not uncommon to get snow below 1000ft near the valley floor and hard freezes that last for weeks. People from up around 6-8k feet give us sh*t for complaining about the freezes but they don't think about the fact that we're not insulated for these kind of weather events. Lots of cracked pipes. At least most of us are experienced at driving on ice so we have few accidents from it.

Madmax

Madmax

Your up in the clouds bud.i bet those guys have a good set of lungs living that high.i reckon id faint lol..haha..uno that amazes me you had mite troubles at that altitude.didnt think those little fuckers could live that far up..they are pretty hardy buggers.while im thinking of those i was going to mention to you a little while ago those chooks could b bringing those mites in...who knows thought id run it past ya
We get nothing like you go through bud.maybe a handful of nites at -1 and 7 deg day during winter but thats it...i bet yous are hairy bastards.i reckon my hair would grow a cm a day lol..

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Your up in the clouds bud.i bet those guys have a good set of lungs living that high.i reckon id faint lol..haha..uno that amazes me you had mite troubles at that altitude.didnt think those little fuckers could live that far up..they are pretty hardy buggers.while im thinking of those i was going to mention to you a little while ago those chooks could b bringing those mites in...who knows thought id run it past ya
We get nothing like you go through bud.maybe a handful of nites at -1 and 7 deg day during winter but thats it...i bet yous are hairy bastards.i reckon my hair would grow a cm a day lol..

Chooks? Is that slang I don't know it, a misspell maybe?

I'm only at about 2500 feet (750m). For where I live I'm almost considered a valley dweller. We do live in a unique environment though. Slightly above where the foothills meet the true mountains. We have both pines and oak trees. It's the perfect environment for growing Indica/Kush/Sativa hybrids and just hot enough during summer months to grow 100% Sativa. Our soil is decomposing limestone and granite mixed with red clay, which gives is both, mineral nutes and excellent drainage. Our Winter temps usually range from 55-30F(13- -1C) but I've been through short periods at around 3F(-16C) and seasons with regular low temps of 15F(-9C). I have a beard and hair over 18" but I'm an old red neck rocker and most of us have shorter hair. There are a lot of beards this time of year running around, and since I'm in Cali (with all the trans-whatever they choose) even some of the women have them too, lol.

You'd think we wouldn't have mites but they thrive here. Either they adapt very well or are original residents. I don't know about the higher elevations like Truckee and Tahoe (7-8k ft or 2100-2500m) but if the local branch of the US Forest Service has control plans they're probably an issue up there too. Our federally protected forest starts at about 3000ft(915m) around here.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Yeah bit of aussie slang...thats what we call chickens."Here chook chook chook" :D

We say "cluck" but I've never heard chickens make either of those noises. Mostly it's more like an annoying little growl. I can't stand chickens. They sh*t everywhere, are obnoxiously loud, and tear up the plants. They got into my garden this season and almost killed one of my Banana Ice Cream.
20181204 090320

The only time I like chickens are when they're in a pot or deep fryer.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

This is gonna make my life a whole lot easier when I start having it control the secondary exhaust fan in warmer weather. Have it currently set to 65F and will kick on the heater at 60F.
20181204 091125

Fell asleep early last night and forgot to take my nerve blocker. The sound of my crying out and sobbing woke me up at 12:30am. Felt like someone was trying to cut through my right leg and thigh with a blowtorch. I'm used to being in a lot of pain and have an extremely high threshold but this kind of pain (I call it nerve-fire) would bring the toughest person to their knees.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Sheeee's Baaaack!!!

20181204 144326

Had to do some modifications and creative grinding so the new jack would seat properly, but she's up and running and ready to make rosin.

The adjustment screw head to the new jack had to have 1/8 taken off the sides. I thought I bought a jack with the exact same dimensions but I guess this one's 3/4 inch taller. That's okay because I never let it open back up fully when using it.
20181204 135544

I'll get some longer screw stock cut to fix the discrepancy in height when I have the time and money.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

...and WOW, is she back! Pulled a 19.6% recovery from some pretty dry weed. Not particularly resinous nuggs either. Got this beautiful blonde rosin with a piney caramel taste from Banana Ice Cream #2. This jack is giving me better pressure this year. The previous jack didn't hold completely and I would have to do an extra pump and hold during recovery. I have so much pressure now I blew out the paper on both pulls. And there was nothing wrong with my folds. I'm gonna have to slow down as I squish the next batch and I already readjusted the plates so they wouldn't have such an aggressive preliminary back bite. I made them a little more flat. They're angled to hit first in the back to push the rosin to the front. It was too much rosin pressure and came out the back corners. That's a good problem to have. It means your recovery is fat.

3.3g from 16.8g of ground flowers. Actually about a 20% recovery cause I lost some in the blowouts.
20181204 182231

Last edited:
UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

This is gonna make my life a whole lot easier when I start having it control the secondary exhaust fan in warmer weather. Have it currently set to 65F and will kick on the heater at 60F.
View attachment 844970

Fell asleep early last night and forgot to take my nerve blocker. The sound of my crying out and sobbing woke me up at 12:30am. Felt like someone was trying to cut through my right leg and thigh with a blowtorch. I'm used to being in a lot of pain and have an extremely high threshold but this kind of pain (I call it nerve-fire) would bring the toughest person to their knees.
Shit man. Cruel and unusual punishment.. wish we had the tech to switch off that receptor permenant so your brain wouldn’t know that nerve pain. I’m sparking one for ya bro. As far as cold goes, where I’m at it gets down to -40 celcius in winter and up to 95 f in summer. Winters dark besides a few hours and summer it barely gets dark.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Shit man. Cruel and unusual punishment.. wish we had the tech to switch off that receptor permenant so your brain wouldn’t know that nerve pain. I’m sparking one for ya bro. As far as cold goes, where I’m at it gets down to -40 celcius in winter and up to 95 f in summer. Winters dark besides a few hours and summer it barely gets dark.

So you know, I'm not complaining. I think our weather is great. It's just that we're not equipped for that kind of cold and as you (more than anyone) know, freezes tear sh*t up. The cold also hits me hard when the painkillers are wearing off. The gabapentin I take is a calcium channel blocker. It's very effective. I slept through when I should have taken my pills. I can't imagine how people survived severe nerve pain before nerve blockers. Even the morphine I take is ineffective against it and I take a lot. Thanks for the spark, I just hit some of that fine blonde in Banana Crack kief. It's got some serious float to it.

So you get to grow those outdoor midnight monsters up there, hugh?

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

So you know, I'm not complaining. I think our weather is great. It's just that we're not equipped for that kind of cold and as you (more than anyone) know, freezes tear sh*t up. The cold also hits me hard when the painkillers are wearing off. The gabapentin I take is a calcium channel blocker. It's very effective. I slept through when I should have taken my pills. I can't imagine how people survived severe nerve pain before nerve blockers. Even the morphine I take is ineffective against it and I take a lot. Thanks for the spark, I just hit some of that fine blonde in Banana Crack kief. It's got some serious float to it.

So you get to grow those outdoor midnight monsters up there, hugh?
Man no lie.. never grown anything outside that was worth smoking.. real short flowering period before the cold. Experimented with bringing em in and out. That sucked. Bugs and hernias come to mind. Speaking of cold.. that makes sense how you put it. Codes are diff for warmer climates I laugh when I stumble on diy building instructions from the southern states for example. Makes sense that you guys really feel it house wise when you get this cold. Where I’m at everything has to be well insulated or you die or go broke then die. -40 is a unique experience but an intense reality when you finally get your car fired up and then a strut literally snaps cause it’s so cold. Then while buddy s coming with his truck to help you, you get a text from the ol lady to inform you the power is out.. haha. Good times. Sorry if I came across all pity party about the nerve stuff dude. Cause what are you gonna do, right. It is what it is. we all got crosses to bare. Got a buddy with fairly serious nerve issues and the morphine doesn’t do shit after a while. They give that out far to liberal these days imo. Anyways one thing about the cold cold is no problem keeping humidity low. And cooling is free for h.i.d. Enthusiasts.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Man no lie.. never grown anything outside that was worth smoking.. real short flowering period before the cold. Experimented with bringing em in and out. That sucked. Bugs and hernias come to mind. Speaking of cold.. that makes sense how you put it. Codes are diff for warmer climates I laugh when I stumble on diy building instructions from the southern states for example. Makes sense that you guys really feel it house wise when you get this cold. Where I’m at everything has to be well insulated or you die or go broke then die. -40 is a unique experience but an intense reality when you finally get your car fired up and then a strut literally snaps cause it’s so cold. Then while buddy s coming with his truck to help you, you get a text from the ol lady to inform you the power is out.. haha. Good times. Sorry if I came across all pity party about the nerve stuff dude. Cause what are you gonna do, right. It is what it is. we all got crosses to bare. Got a buddy with fairly serious nerve issues and the morphine doesn’t do shit after a while. They give that out far to liberal these days imo. Anyways one thing about the cold cold is no problem keeping humidity low. And cooling is free for h.i.d. Enthusiasts.

I know what you mean about cold. I'm not like most Cali people. I was stationed in Nebraska. It ain't Alaska but it's cold enough to know what real cold is. Two sets of thermals, winter uniform, and fleece lined winter jacket and wind cuts through it as if you're naked. (While I was there I had appendicitis, and it ruptured giving me paratenitis. Had a fever of 104F in early winter. The military cops SP & LE left me in the car with the door open and all my muscles siezed up. I was a weight lifter back then so it took 4 guys to pull my arm away from my body to put in the IV.)

I don't know how someone who's disabled could make it where you are. Especially if they're temp sensitive like me. When it gets into the 20's it's like a frozen hell to me.

The morphine I take isn't for that nerve damage, it's for my back, joints, and replaced hips combined with Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome RSDS (also called Complex Regional Pain Syndrome CRPS). It's a genetic autoimmune disease where your body overreacts to an injury and any pain is multiplied several times over. I think it was the nerve damage from the surgery to replace my right hip that triggered it. If I so much as stub my toe the pain will nearly drop me. I titrate my pain meds to keep them effective. Can't afford to get used to them because there's only so much pain meds they can give me before the dose is too high. I've actually gotten myself down to 210 morphine equivalent units, soon 200. 180mg morphine and 30mg of hydrocodone daily.

UncleRomulus

UncleRomulus

Ya man. It’s no fun for the poor or disabled or old in the extreme climates. That’s why Florida and Arizona are full of elderly folks I guess. Sounds like you got some stories my friend. I could see us kickin back with a fat one smouldering shootin the shit for hours. I have personally have some mental illness issues. I’m cool wth a buddy or two around most days but the grocery store is a nightmare for me. Always been depressed as balls but the ol ptsd snuck up on me. You never think you’ll be that guy and that nothing will phase you. Also brain injury can make a guy fairly eccentric. Cannabis help but i find growing to do more for me than smoking even. Something to look forward to and pour yourself into. Having to rack your pea sized brain to keep track of feeding and what day or week it is. Anyways nice to get to know ya buddy. Check out my skunkberry she’s been lifting weights. Also check out this deadly ice saber lol

47DEB567 0039 467A 84F8 EEB5FD633253
122C96F3 4AA0 4FCD B745 C039DD896AC1
SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Ya man. It’s no fun for the poor or disabled or old in the extreme climates. That’s why Florida and Arizona are full of elderly folks I guess. Sounds like you got some stories my friend. I could see us kickin back with a fat one smouldering shootin the shit for hours. I have personally have some mental illness issues. I’m cool wth a buddy or two around most days but the grocery store is a nightmare for me. Always been depressed as balls but the ol ptsd snuck up on me. You never think you’ll be that guy and that nothing will phase you. Also brain injury can make a guy fairly eccentric. Cannabis help but i find growing to do more for me than smoking even. Something to look forward to and pour yourself into. Having to rack your pea sized brain to keep track of feeding and what day or week it is. Anyways nice to get to know ya buddy. Check out my skunkberry she’s been lifting weights. Also check out this deadly ice saber lol

F^ck!!! I've been in some sh*t but never seen an icicle that big.

I feel ya man. I don't do well in crowds either. That RSDS doesn't just wreck my body it screws with my mind as well. My memory is effected and I'm stuck in a near constant state of "fight or flight". Makes it really hard to be social. People think I'm hyper but it's just this ongoing anxiety.

Yeah, good to get to know you too. You have a grow diary, a link?

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 12/6/18

I'm having a hard time uploading with my sh*t cell reception during these winter storms (and since I broke my S7 with the dual antennas), but I was able to get three pics uploaded.

Didn't want to open the tent and shock them from the cold so this is through the window.
20181205 164132

The Idunnoes is still plumping up so I'm letting her continue. The water leaves are starting to yellow so that's a good sign. When they're all yellow I'll use that as a sign to harvest since these bud are bizarre.
20181205 140931
20181205 140734

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Grow Log 12/6/18 (tent)

Forgot to get a shot of the pollen flowers. They look like they're about to pop. I'll get em tomorrow. Keeping that heater in there has helped a lot. They sure are pretty, especially the Chocolate Nepal (left).
20181206 130504
20181206 130558
20181206 130628
20181206 130647
20181206 130738

Getting ready to make a test batch of rosin from each of my strains.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
F^ck!!! I've been in some sh*t but never seen an icicle that big.

I feel ya man. I don't do well in crowds either. That RSDS doesn't just wreck my body it screws with my mind as well. My memory is effected and I'm stuck in a near constant state of "fight or flight". Makes it really hard to be social. People think I'm hyper but it's just this ongoing anxiety.

Yeah, good to get to know you too. You have a grow diary, a link?

Shit that’s a baby in Michigan. I’ve seen icicles thicker than I am and stretching from the rooflines of two story homes down to the ground. We get lots of lake effect snow from Lake Michigan in the winter and a lot of older homes have shit for attic insulation. Most of our homes are vented to the attic as well.

SmithsJunk

SmithsJunk

Shit that’s a baby in Michigan. I’ve seen icicles thicker than I am and stretching from the rooflines of two story homes down to the ground. We get lots of lake effect snow from Lake Michigan in the winter and a lot of older homes have shit for attic insulation. Most of our homes are vented to the attic as well.

Yeah, I remember watching news reports on your weather when I was stationed in NE. They don't do reports out here on you guys unless it's something bigger than normal or in the wrong season. Nebraska got cold with the wind chill taking it really low into the negatives. I remember it getting so cold the metal lightposts were snapping from a little wind. That doesn't happen out here, nor do we get those freakish lightning storms that never let the sky go dark.

Latest posts

Top Bottom