Just how good are LEDs now?

• Thread starter JrrTokein
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ken dog

ken dog

I'm also not a fan of huge units... I prefer four smaller ones to one large one... which is another reason I did not go with Apache Tech.
generally, you can expect to pay about $4.20 per bulb... 420... coincidence?:)
interesting point about the HTG Supply 240 watt unit, only using 150 watts... and it's probably true.
this is a good thing, because it is not healthy for a 3 watt bulb to produce three watts of light... which make the HTG Supply lights even more desirable to me.
for a long time now, I have wanted to measure the wattage that these lights use individually... I think I will get on that project ASAP.

squiggly

squiggly

Most LED units overstate the power draw of the unit.

Even a unit marked 240W for instance, won't have all of that wattage directed to the lights if it pulls down that much. It has to power fans and other components, such that the power actually converted to light is likely closer to 200W.

Still other units will be marked 240W and then only actually pull down 210-220 (and then the actually output to the lights is even less, like 180 for instance).

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
This one is bad ass so far USA made. Been testing it out for a little bit..

And the coverage.. 10,000 lumens of directional light with a 170 degree spread.
http://glcled.com/

Here is a new one, they manufacture and package there our own dies, don't buy them from Osram, Nichia, Cree, etc. And all 100% made in USA.

Been able to achieve over 100 lumen's with our first generation 1 watt chip, and more than 10,000 lumen's with our first generation 100w chip. This was achieved in a real world environment with just a passive heat sink, no fans, liquid nitrogen or tricks.

Not only can they generate more light than other
LED's, they have the best color rendering index values too. There leds achieve 95 CRI and even higher.

G

Greengenes

I'm also not a fan of huge units... I prefer four smaller ones to one large one... which is another reason I did not go with Apache Tech.
generally, you can expect to pay about $4.20 per bulb... 420... coincidence?:)
interesting point about the HTG Supply 240 watt unit, only using 150 watts... and it's probably true.
this is a good thing, because it is not healthy for a 3 watt bulb to produce three watts of light... which make the HTG Supply lights even more desirable to me.
for a long time now, I have wanted to measure the wattage that these lights use individually... I think I will get on that project ASAP.

I'm glad you like you resold china light(htg)...but if we are talking quality and performance at the highest level...then you should actually know some basics about led's and the manufacturers. I am not just blowing smoke out my ass. I have tested in person more lights than you searched for on ebay.

Apache just came out with the at600...so I doubt you even looked it up or even ever considered it. Apache states there actual wattage usage...if they were making false/misleading wattage claims(i.e. 240w...but really only 150 power draw) they would be a 2400w light(480*5w)...but it only really pulls 660...because that is where they perform and efficient...and so they don't try and lie, they tell you what you are actually getting.
As for HTG...you can buy it straight from china under the name cidly apollo

Wattage means is misleading...it's all about the amount of PAR lift put out and how intense it is. At 24" above a 1000w hps does a 1000µmols in the center and about 350µmols on the out parts of a 4x4...no led except for the at600 can do any numbers like that from that distance and still cover the whole area. The little at2o0(actual draw 196w) can pump the power but will not cover the area the same as a 1000w...which is why in the end to truly compete with a 1000w hps you need 600+w of the best led's and they need to be designed to cover the grow area.

Here is a new one, they manufacture and package there our own dies, don't buy them from Osram, Nichia, Cree, etc. And all 100% made in USA.

Been able to achieve over 100 lumen's with our first generation 1 watt chip, and more than 10,000 lumen's with our first generation 100w chip. This was achieved in a real world environment with just a passive heat sink, no fans, liquid nitrogen or tricks.

LED's, they have the best color rendering index values too. There leds achieve 95 CRI and even higher.

CRI doesn't matter that much. What is mean is that there is usually more deep red and green in the spectrum. This is a good thing but the sacrifice is output power. So 80CRI chips are the best of both world. They provide a near perfect photosynthetically active spectrum while still maintaining output power greater than HPS...which is the whole goal.
100-120lm/w is not going to change the game or bump any of the current chip manufacturer that are making great chips already out of position. Nichia and cree are the best white chips out<15w. Then bridgelux for higher wattage cobs. Orasm for 660nm deep reds and cree for normal 630nm reds.
If you want accompany truly in the US and that makes their own dies then check illumitex. They make all there own shit for the ground up. But there output is low compared to units made with cree's and nichia's. They will be coming out with their new model any day now.

sixstring

sixstring

Which one are you using?

R

reefamadness

Hey guys ! new to the community! Anyways I'm about to start a 10' X 10' grow with 5 1200watt led panels, there basically replicas of black dogs 750XL platinum that I found on eBay from LG LED SOLUTIONS. At first I was a bit sketched out because there from China but I saw some reviews, and they seem to be legit. Anyways I'm just wondering how I'm going to vent my tent since I have no cool tubes/HP's/ mad heat?? Any suggestions would help! Thanks

ken dog

ken dog

nah, you better trade them in for Apache Tech... You could probably get away with half of those watts:)

R

reefamadness

No way there replicas to black dogs platinum XL witch the best LED LIGHTING out there. Apache is no where near black dogs capabilities. And my pockets arent big enough for black dogs so I went with Chinese replicas

ken dog

ken dog

No way there replicas to black dogs platinum XL witch the best LED LIGHTING out there. Apache is no where near black dogs capabilities. And my pockets arent big enough for black dogs so I went with Chinese replicas

I was just trying to be funny bro.:)

sixstring

sixstring

I would think 2 grams a watt would be a more accurate comparison if the led really compete with hps at half the watts.

G

Greengenes

Just to play along...why is black dog so much better than anyone else???? Their out put and coverage is pretty low low...specially for 750w. They are one of the better companies but there are better out there. They
I have spoket with the owner in per on and he said that they can't beat good 1000w grow.

The at600 is the most powerful light out period. There is not a unit on the market that will match the PAR output of the at600....which is better than a 1000w.

It has nothing to do with apache or any company specifically. It has to do with war lights are going to meet the plants requirement for lighting...and over the whole growing area. Plant growth is a well proven science...and our beloved ganja or led's are no exceptions to this.

Here are some par footprint charts from growers house that show the output of various different light all at 24".
The first is of a lumatek digital AC with a eye hortilux in a standard hood. The rest are all well known "good" led's including black dog.
The last is my chart I made of my at600.

Just curious why they are all(except at600) so much lower than 1000w they claim to better than???? Where is the support of such claims?

I personally have hit over 1.3g/w but when I tried to expand I went too far and was only getting .77ish g/w. My average is right around .92g/w for all my led grow over the years.

1000w ballast test info 1
Black dog platinum xl u universal series par test review
LumiGrow Pro 325 Test
LumiGrow Pro 650 Test
Penetrator Review footprint test infographic1
SolarStormTestInfographicReviewFootprint
Stealth Grow 1250 review footprint infographic
IMG 2631
JrrTokein

JrrTokein

What model inda gro do you use for that veg space? How do you think they compare for vegging against LEDs or MH?

Dunge

Dunge

Lithonia 2 foot high bay LED 150 Watt
Available at Home Depot for $219
http://www.lithonia.com/commercial/led bay lighting.html#.Up4yreKnmGN

Any of you tech types care to look at what looks like an independent report:

I'm only one week into a two lamp install.
Replaced a 400W HPS in flower. The other replaces 6 four foot fluorescents in veg.
The plants seem to like the situation so far.

squiggly

squiggly

Nothing beats LEDs for supplemental lighting. It wastes less energy both on the board itself and on cooling required to add LEDs to a grow. If you're min maxing and have 0 LEDs I suggest you are missing an easy opportunity for more weight (unless you're in a huge commercial style grow of course--then its more hassle than it's worth labor wise just to hang the things).

F

freewheel

I heard that leds have doubled in strength in the last year. The technology is rapidly growing.

stokedspade

stokedspade

I love the diamond series LED light from advanced led. I have a friend who is running four 200 Watt diamond series in a 6 x 4 tent and his results are awesome he gets right around 7 or 8 gpw.

Latest posts

Top Bottom