Just purchased 2 Blackstar 600w LED grow lights

• Thread starter bmf725
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
homebrew420

homebrew420

what is the reason for the lights being as far away as they are? I mean why not put them as close as you can without sacrificing footprint? Or are they already that close? One reason I ask is because they look just a tad under ceveloped for what I would expect for this late into flower. You said they were indica dom varieties, so 8-9 week flower? Not hating at all my good man, they all look very good, extremely healthy.

I will be utilizing LEDs that are custom made for a seed run and experimentation purposed to do just as you are doing. 3w leds powered at about 70%. We are going to try hanging vert for maximum penetration into the canopy

Nice job and good luck in all you do.

Peace

B

bmf725

They are probably underdeveloped because
1. this is my first grow ever
2. I had a pretty severe light leak durring the first 2 weeks of flower that delayed the onset of flower.
3. I got root rot early in the flower but I caught it early and have it under controll now. and my rez temps during the day have been 75 degrees +

B

bmf725

And the reason I have the light further up then most people run them is because. Mike from GLH the makers of the spectra leds. did a test grow with lights at 11" and lights at 24" and the lights at 24" out produced the lights that where closer to the canopy. I believe the theory behind it is the different light spectrum need distance/time to blend before hitting the canopy. plus you get better footprint. There is a whole thread dedicated to this theory over at bubbleponics.

M

maria

And the reason I have the light further up then most people run them is because. Mike from GLH the makers of the spectra leds. did a test grow with lights at 11" and lights at 24" and the lights at 24" out produced the lights that where closer to the canopy. I believe the theory behind it is the different light spectrum need distance/time to blend before hitting the canopy. plus you get better footprint. There is a whole thread dedicated to this theory over at bubbleponics.

I thought you were running Blackstar LED's?

B

bmf725

interesting ..
i have a the 240 veg unit..
wonder if the specs for distance are the same..
yes of course higher =more coverage

good thread..

what ever blackstar uses as a spec I would add 6 inches to it. Such as they say 12" for my 600's and I try and keep them at 18-22 inches. This thing has some pretty damn good penetration especially when used with scrog. i have lower branch buds that are pretty nice that are about 30+ inches from the light.

B

bmf725

Well I have tried to upload pics thru thcfarmer for the last couple of days and I cannot get one single pic to upload. If I use photobucket I can do it fine but for some reason thcfarmer is going to be deleting all photobucket photos. So I guess If I can;t get this pic uploading thing figured out I will catch yall on some other forum.

T

TheWanderer

Hi we are in week 7 of flowering with 2 BlackStar 500 W LEDS and 10 plants. They are looking healthy, and we are happy with them but this is our first grow with any lights (other than outdoors), so we don't have experience with HID's to compare it with. We are now looking at trying 90 watt Pro Source World Wide UFO's so we have some comparison. We don't know if we want to exclusively invest in more BlackStars before we try the UFO's. The 90 watt UFO's appeal to us because we can perhaps have better coverage over all. Anyways I am sure you won't be dissapointed, but if you are like us you will try to figure out what you can do to maximize your investment.

CA5P3R

CA5P3R

Hi we are in week 7 of flowering with 2 BlackStar 500 W LEDS and 10 plants. They are looking healthy, and we are happy with them but this is our first grow with any lights (other than outdoors), so we don't have experience with HID's to compare it with. We are now looking at trying 90 watt Pro Source World Wide UFO's so we have some comparison. We don't know if we want to exclusively invest in more BlackStars before we try the UFO's. The 90 watt UFO's appeal to us because we can perhaps have better coverage over all. Anyways I am sure you won't be dissapointed, but if you are like us you will try to figure out what you can do to maximize your investment.

I would go with some lower Watt Blackstars or Magnums rather than UFOs.

R

Rushed

Hey BMF
It's been a while. How's everything growing.
Would love to see some updates.

2gunsteve

are you useing 2 BlackStar 500 W LEDS or 2 600 W BlackStars
What was the final yeald thanks

B

bmf725

Ok so I finally got some pics up. Thanks thc farmer for not allowing me to use photobucket (way easier). But here goes. I harvested 4 days ago 3 pure kush and 1 sage n sour. 1 of the pure kush didnt yeild shit it was a dwarf and got maybe 7 grams usable bud. the rest went into the hash. The pure kush smells way better than the sage n sour IMO. But the sage n sour has far more resin. I dont have a final weigh in yet but im guessing from the 3 full plants that were cut I got about 6-7 zips. Not too bad considering its my first indoor harvest ever! and all the problems I had from the get go.

Edit: I forgot to mention because I havent updated on here in so long I added a 1000 Watter to my set up. I just felt like with my set up and how many plants im running (18) in flower That I would need atleast 4 more led pannels So I just went and got a 1000 watt hps with air cooled hood and baddass ballast. I gives me that coverage that I need and the led's do a good job of filling in the dark areas. I can honestly say the plants are doing much better with the hps/led's then with just led's I think the plants need as many spectrums as you can get. I will proably prove this to be the case in 3 weeks when the lemon skunks are due to get chopped as they are already TWICE the size of my first harvest could it be the hps I added or genetics?

100 0450
100 0455
100 0438
CA5P3R

CA5P3R

I am using 4 600 watt blackstars along with 1 1000 watt hps.

Damn that a lot of light in that room! Well if you are going that big maybe you should look into some Co2, that should give you a nice jolt in the yield department.

B

bmf725

Damn that a lot of light in that room! Well if you are going that big maybe you should look into some Co2, that should give you a nice jolt in the yield department.

Yes my friend it is in the works right now.

B

bmf725

Here goes with the one post spammer BS!

G

Grow2BFree

I bet the HPS + LED setup will be insane!!!!!

IMO you always need more light coverage than intensity, but you have both!!!

HPS for the bright sun, and LED to fill it in, and add spectrum, I'm so impressed!

How is your temps with that light combo? Does the room warm up after a while?

BURN THAT LED DANK!!!! :pimp:

B

bmf725

the highest temp I saw in the room was 91 degrees and that was on a hot day running full super lumen setting on the 1000 watter. Oh and I have no A/C in the room but next year I will be putting in a dehumidifier/AC unit but since its getting into the cold season Im running everything FULL BLAST! 4x Led and the 1000 watter on super lumen actual wattage is like 1150 or somthing but I got it wired up to 240 volts so It only draws about 4 amps vs 9-10 amps. But the temps right now stay at 81 on the cannopy and 72-75 down on the floor.

Edit** harvest update**

The final dry weight was right around 3.75 ounces from 4 plants . However one plant was a runt and only got about an eighth dry from it. and the two pure kush yeilded just over an ounce while the sage n sour carried the rest of the weight about 2 ounces. not too bad since I tourched these girls there whole life because it was my first grow. I started out with 12 and ended up with 4 plants in the end. I will be chopping the lemon skunk's down in about a week and they are looking way way way bigger in size!! I can't wait. I will post pics of the lemons tonight they have gotten alot bigger!!

K11NG

K11NG

Good to hear it was a successful grow and hoping the skunk brings your yeild number up, let us know

D

desertmedgrower

Badass ballast / bulb is a great choice... my buddy ditched all his hortilux stuff becuz of the dramatic difference on the half of his room w/ the badass ballast and bulb..

like the thread ;D

Top Bottom