Just thinking out loud.....

• Thread starter Classic Remix
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

Hahahahaha! Let it rain, no one likes sitting dry anyways... Asses all chapped and shit

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

G/W doesn't really address the issue. The electric co charges by the KWH. Farmers should figure power usage using G/KWH. Adding extra lighting might make your G/W go up with the extra efficiency, by factoring in the extra air conditioning and air moving, it might be a wash or less. If you are worried about the light bill veg a little longer under lower wattage lights.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
My next spot will be perp trees on casters. I don't think about power these days, I think about canopy square footage, time, and plant numbers. For me 1k is 1k... it's how you use it that matters.

If I can get away with 5 runs a year I'm happy. If they are all bumper crops, then i'm elated.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
this doesnt count fully because hes a god damn legend in the making but jackmayoffer can pull 2.4 a light with og strains with a 14 day veg from rooted. Its insane but he does it. Its about the most perfect enviro. If your out of the vpd white lines your room isnt optimal. Also he pops several hundred beans to find what he wants so every angle is covered from yield to bag appeal.

in beds. with lots of plants. 14 day veg is plenty if you are planting 1'OC

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Personally, I like to keep it simple..I need 2 p's per light or I feel shorted on my efforts. IME it has been more about strain than plant numbers or veg time. I started out at 16 plants per 1k and eventually moved to 2-3 plants per 1K. I've gravitated to my sweet spot of 9 per 1K..all overhead lighting and all in dirt with no CO2 added.
I never expect my 2p's when pheno hunting through bean pops...that would be unrealistic. During a bean pop I hunt for my keepers..but being top-shelf smoke isn't enough..she needs to be an easy clone..easy grow and a decent yield.
I like sativa dom hybrids..for growth and smoke. I think finding the correct way to train specific phenos and more important..when exactly to flip them yields the best results. Timing when the cuts are ready to move from T-5's to the big light exactly when the room is emptied, clean, and ready. I should be able to flip to 12/12 with no more than 2-3 week veg time...getting 2 p's per light..on time...every time. Having multiple rooms eliminates the need to grow large moms..having the ability to clone what is vegging under the big lights.

...of course nothing gets the blood pumping and the smile muscles working better than growing huge trees in a warehouse..greenhouse, or good ol' outdoors.

This is such a good post. :)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think its inaccurate to put a limit on a 2 week veg at .6 GPW. So yeah, a 5 week veg would yield more in the long run, but its unrealistic to say you can only get .6 GPW with 2 week veg, then say you will get 1 GPW with a 5 week veg.

Unless somebody actually got those numbers and wants to see which yielded better in real life, I don't see the point of making it up because people have gotten more then .6 GPW with a 2 week veg, then there are people who get under 1 GPW with 5 week veg.

Still, very interesting thread and has good info, I just don't understand why make the 2 week veg yield less GPW when its very possible to get the same GPW with a 2 week veg or 5 week veg, you just have to add more plants for the 2 week veg to make up for the lack of space it would cover.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

Lovin the thread! Of course we all have thought about this a TON!!! I think it's hard to get real data because most folks on this board are concerned with plant numbers. I have buddies on both sides, solid growers competing in the Trees vs SOG saga. From what I've seen, trees can't compete with a high yield strain, 64 per 4x4 tray, grown in 1/2 gallon pots, crouton sized rockwool medium, flood and drain. Throwing to 12/12 as soon as the plants take the medium, like a week or so. Personally, this is the highest yeild per watt I know of, and highest efficiency all around. So, with no concern with plant numbers and unlimited clones.... SOG wins IMO.

Don't go gettin in trouble now :D

Edit: It could have been 49 per, I can't remember if they run 8x8 or 7x7 half gallon smartpots.

BirdDog1

BirdDog1

Hey kushtrees, no offense brother. I'm on your side of the fence, and growing bigger and bigger trees every day. I know some of yall have serious skills but 3 per every 9.5 weeks, including veg, is gonna be tough to beat :(

The problem is the structure of the tree. She would have to be so perfectly pruned because that SOG is basicly 64 sticks, no branches, with top cola only. Each bud getting good light, and no waist in the shadows. So hard with trees, but i'm tryin' !!!

If legalization happens tommorow though, you can bet your ass that i'm SOG'n like a mu-fugga!!! :p

K

kushtrees

If I ever have the chance to do a SOG I would. vertical SOGs/ SCROGs are awesome it's just the peak of light, time and space efficiency, but Im not ever ganna break my plant limit, so who knows if that'll ever happen.

I am all about pruning, training, and liloppping (or pistil whipping Ty seamaiden for the awesome term). I have gotten my best yields from plants that got training, defoliating and liloppping on a strict schedule to not stress the plants too much. I went from 10-20 really main colas on the trees to now 100s of very even ones and the yield is way better. Unless you have an amazing strain, training and lolipppping is a must if you want to really yield a tree.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

@ lex - i agree, i think its real innaccurate to limit a 2 week veg to a low number like .6 grams.

Me personally, i dont grow using numbers to predict my g/w... i have too many variables and differences in timing schedules. I fit 6-8 plants under each 600W. About to add another flowering room and run everything on a flip box. makes alot more sense and easier too keep everything on a 12 week cycle (not so strict on the timing, i let the plants tell me when they are ready to flower and chop.) i grow em like shrubs, rocked big treeZ for awhile (indoors), but found that its easier to get sufficient weight by keeping lower and wider. i use a simple trellis to do so. This gives me multiple good sized colas and utilizes my light spread. Big on canopy management. i also lollipop and get a good 8-12"s of good sized bud on each branch.

although i do shoot for a gram per "light" watt. basically 600 grams from each light. being that i have 3, i get a little over when it comes to the math. shit if u can match ur grams per watt on ur lights, i feel that ur ahead of the game! i know alot of growers that max out at 1lb-1.5lbs per 1000W and i blow them away when i can match their yield/light running 6's in a much smaller space!Z

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

and what i mean by 12 week cycle = 4 week veg, 8 week flower = 12 weeks. basically cropping once a month... trimming suckZ...

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

I give them hell when young to shape them initially. tops and early training is key in smaller plants. Also knowing your plant will help so you can crush big tall fat small.
im with you here midwest, i start topping in cloner if the plant has enough vigor but will do first top by week 1 veg at latest.

Big Bruce

Big Bruce

wow sog vs trees i like this thread,

Like birddog said if plant numbers didnt count i would do a sog with hella clones but since they do you have to combine the best of both and get medium trees with really nice colas , i prefer more of a perpetual harvest but if you dont mind waiting a few weeks in between harvest you can grow some monsters in most med states. props to everybody considering the pros and cons of both styles

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

G/W doesn't really address the issue. The electric co charges by the KWH. Farmers should figure power usage using G/KWH. Adding extra lighting might make your G/W go up with the extra efficiency, by factoring in the extra air conditioning and air moving, it might be a wash or less. If you are worried about the light bill veg a little longer under lower wattage lights.
something clicked in my head when i read this, all of a sudden g/w has lost all credibility.
G/kwh!! wootwoot!

5ecret 5quirrel

5ecret 5quirrel

bud sites closer to the light create bigger buds, further away the smaller they get. clone or tree, in my experience the bud closer to the light is usually the biggest. Makes total sense to stack buds side by side closely bunched around the light. that has always been the goal for all of us.
found this pic of a saliva dominate SCOG.
2010 12 0295135529

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

something clicked in my head when i read this, all of a sudden g/w has lost all credibility.
G/kwh!! wootwoot!
Yeah. G/W is a useless statistic. It's kind of like saying "I have an 8' grow tent"
When it becomes legal in more states, growers won't be so flip about the cost of electricity. Or the cost of nutes. Competition will make indoor growing less and less profitable. If all stoners in Colorado step up and grow three outdoor plants, pot would be cheaper than tomatoes and it wouldn't take an entire coal fired power plant to do it. Growing dope indoors is not a "green" activity by any stretch.

Top Bottom