Justiceman's grow: The quest for Resin

• Thread starter justiceman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
justiceman said:
I know some of you may say that watering the coco once every 4 days is blasphemy but I swear that this Canna coco holds a decent amount of water and at this point they don't really need watering very often. I do however have one concern. I used about the same amount of medium when I did the Roots coco run. With 4 gals I achieved about .5-1 gal of runoff depending on the time period. Now when I use 4 gal for coco I get a very small amount of run off. Maybe about 6 ounces haha. So it does in fact hold a nice amount of water but my concern is this. I Question If I should increase the amount of water to achieve run off or not. If the pots hold water for 4 days adding even more water may in fact deprive the roots of much needed oxygen and cause the plants to grow slowly and/or inhibit nutrient uptake and cause deficiencies. Hmm things to consider because I know watering without run off might eventually lead to nutrient build up. Well anyway here are some pictures for ya!

No not blasphemy. The canna coco will retain alot more water than the roots coco. Until the plant's roots take up a larger portion of the container. You will get slow drying if you saturate the containers.

Once the roots catch up then you will be back to watering more frequently. Maybe every 1-3 days. (depending on stage of veg container size, enviroment or stage of flowering)

I try to always get 20-30% runoff. So here is what I have been doing. I use roots organics coco mix or combine big n chunky perlite (30-40%)with the canna coco when the plants are smaller and getting established.

This is best to start out because it does not take a week to dry out. Then once I transplant I go to 100% coco. Once the root mass is larger it will take over the 100% coco and then will suck up the water.

But there are some exceptions to the rule. Like using a 7+ gallon container, I do not saturate but try to keep all the coco moist. I alternate food and water with low ec so do not get salt buildup. If I saturated the container too soon the plants would get droopy and then would take along time to dry out.

I get better results waiting for the root mass to take over the container than up-sizing with a transplant.
Example:

1 gallon to 2 gallon etc. If I go from a 1 gallon pot to a 5 gallon then I find am going to hurt yield/growth because I went to large of a container too fast. Then there is a delay while the roots catch up.

To take things a little further and try optimize the watering/feeding depending on veg or flower.

A few large waterings will result in a lower EC and the lower moisture content will be lower. The effects the growth habits and ec of the medium.

If I do alot of smaller watering, but more frequently. the medium is not as a saturated by there is more chance of higher ec in the medium.

Example: 1 gallon at once or 1/4 gallon 4 times.

I am trying to optimize performance via irrigation frequency and volume.

In veg, many small irrigations with lower ec. The medium is not saturated but is moist and you get happy plants.

In flower, less larger irrigations with higher ec. Water intake slow down around week 5-6 and frequency of watering may then decrease.

I think about how in a day I eat 3-4 times a day. If I ate all that food at once you would feel full and the food would not digest as well. I may also get bloated.

Break it down and I get lean. Bloat me up and I get fat. We want lean growth in veg and huge bloated flowers. :)

I try to keep it short, but there is alot of information to attempt to cover the facts in a clear way. Hope that was not "too much information".

Hope that make sense and it helpful. Good luck, not that you need it. Your killing it!

justiceman

justiceman

fuck yea justice! u kickin ass as usual i see! THE QUEEEEEEESSSSST!!! :)
Right on Winta! I'm just tryin to make my quest worth while ya no.

Thanks Markushio

No not blasphemy. The canna coco will retain alot more water than the roots coco. Until the plant's roots take up a larger portion of the container. You will get slow drying if you saturate the containers.

Once the roots catch up then you will be back to watering more frequently. Maybe every 1-3 days. (depending on stage of veg container size, enviroment or stage of flowering)

I try to always get 20-30% runoff. So here is what I have been doing. I use roots organics coco mix or combine big n chunky perlite (30-40%)with the canna coco when the plants are smaller and getting established.

This is best to start out because it does not take a week to dry out. Then once I transplant I go to 100% coco. Once the root mass is larger it will take over the 100% coco and then will suck up the water.

But there are some exceptions to the rule. Like using a 7+ gallon container, I do not saturate but try to keep all the coco moist. I alternate food and water with low ec so do not get salt buildup. If I saturated the container too soon the plants would get droopy and then would take along time to dry out.

I get better results waiting for the root mass to take over the container than up-sizing with a transplant.
Example:

1 gallon to 2 gallon etc. If I go from a 1 gallon pot to a 5 gallon then I find am going to hurt yield/growth because I went to large of a container too fast. Then there is a delay while the roots catch up.

To take things a little further and try optimize the watering/feeding depending on veg or flower.

A few large waterings will result in a lower EC and the lower moisture content will be lower. The effects the growth habits and ec of the medium.

If I do alot of smaller watering, but more frequently. the medium is not as a saturated by there is more chance of higher ec in the medium.

Example: 1 gallon at once or 1/4 gallon 4 times.

I am trying to optimize performance via irrigation frequency and volume.

In veg, many small irrigations with lower ec. The medium is not saturated but is moist and you get happy plants.

In flower, less larger irrigations with higher ec. Water intake slow down around week 5-6 and frequency of watering may then decrease.

I think about how in a day I eat 3-4 times a day. If I ate all that food at once you would feel full and the food would not digest as well. I may also get bloated.

Break it down and I get lean. Bloat me up and I get fat. We want lean growth in veg and huge bloated flowers. :)

I try to keep it short, but there is alot of information to attempt to cover the facts in a clear way. Hope that was not "too much information".

Hope that make sense and it helpful. Good luck, not that you need it. Your killing it!

Hey I really appreciate your input. That was definitely not "too much Information". That's the kind of info I like. Watering frequency and nutrient strength are indeed tied together as well as run off. I think that's why my plants have been able to take about 800ppm with no run off because it's only been once every 4 days, but If I gave them 800ppm every day with no run off they would get burned like no other. Hmm smaller waterings with higher frequency. I can definitely see how that would improve performance. I think that would help to keep optimum oxygen levels for the roots. I'll have to consider some things, but thanks again for the info it makes me pick my brain!

----------------------------------------

Outdoor Update

Hey everyone! So far everything has been going quite well outside. Although I will admit the other day misfortune showed me her evil smile. I was sitting outside with an umbrella watching the ladies, and the wind picked up much harder then I expected therefore blowing the umbrella over onto one of my Chem Dawg's. I got up immediately and picked up the umbrella(almost caught it while it was falling but I failed). Fortunately only 1 decent branch broke off of the Chem Dawg. Another was mortally wounded(It split off the stock and was hanging by a thread), but I taped it, proped it up in the correct manner and thank the gods that branch healed itself. So alas 1 fallen Branch but at least not 2.

The incident happened a little less then a week ago. As an experiment I put the branch in a cup of water with soluble kelp in it(1-0-4). the branch is actually still alive, and is now just starting to show signs of N def. I also topped my moms around the same time and did the same things to the tops. Just goes to show how awesome Kelp is. It alone has been keeping these branches alive for a week with no aeration no natta. Heres a pic.
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/1weekoldbrokenbranchinkelp.jpg

Now other then that everything has been going just fine. The resin and aromas have been on the rise, and I only hope that these branches fill out hard! I have still been battling somewhat of an N def as I always do, but I have had worse. This is what I have been feeding them as of late.

Feeding(8/23/10)
13.6ml PBP Bloom(150ml total)
2.7ml PBP Grow(30ml total)
10.9ml Humega(120ml total)
PH: 6.3
PPM= 860(about 1.7EC)

Feeding(8/25/10)
Molasses water

Feeding(8/27/10)
per gal
5ml Buddah Grow
12.5ml Buddah Bloom
7.5ml Trinity
7.5ml ancient amber
15ml HP
5ml HPK
25ml Humega
PPM=440
PH: 5.9

Feeding(8/29/10)
per gal
5ml Buddah Grow
12.5ml Buddah Bloom
7.5ml Trinity
7.5ml ancient amber
15ml HP
5ml HPK
30ml Humega
10ml Hygrozyme
PPM=440

Feeding(8/29/10)
per gal
4.1ml Pura Vida bloom
2.7ml Pura Vida grow
30ml Huvega
30ml Humega
10ml Hygrozyme
PPM=400
PH: 6.2

I decided to basically finish off the rest of my roots nutes so that's why they are in the mix. I have to say that I really like Roots Organics HP and HPK. The HPK is watery so I assume it has fast absorption abilities in some way but the HP is truly some quality sludge like bat guano. I think it really helps out in the aroma and resin department.

Well here are some pictures for ya!

Family shot
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1556.jpg

Casey Jones
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1557.jpg

Chem Dawg
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1558.jpg

Head Band
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1559.jpg

justiceman

justiceman

Outdoor Update
So looking back I beleive I'm in about week 5 of flower with these little ladies. So far things are looking great, and I have begun the addition of HPK guano for my PK booster. Here is what I have been feeding them as of late.

Feeding(8/31/10)
16.36ml Pura vida Bloom
10.9ml Puravida Grow
30ml Humega
10ml Hygrozyme
15ml HP
PPM=750
PH: 6.0

Feeding(9/2/10)
21.81ml Pura Vida Bloom
14.54ml Pura Vida Grow
30ml Humega
10ml Hygrozyme
PPM=1100
PH: 6.2

Feeding(9/4/10)
Compost tea
11 gallons:
4 cups EWC(1-0-0)
4 cups Alaskan Humus
4TBSP soluble Kelp
11TBSP HP(guano)
22TBSP Ancient Amber(Fulvic Acid)
12tsp Molasses
PPM=400
PH: 6.3

Feeding(9/5/10)
R/O water

Feeding(9/6/10)
16.36ml Pura vida Bloom
10.9ml Puravida Grow
15ml HPK
30ml Humega
10ml Hygrozyme
PPM=750
PH:6.0

They are starting to need water about once every day now. Seems the 5 gal smart pots ended up being just a bit too small. Oh well next time I'll have to try out 7gal smart pots instead hehe. I hope to finish these girls right around the start of October. Here are some pictures for you guys. Stay tuned as the Indoor update should be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Family shot
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1576.jpg

Casey Jones
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CaseyJones.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CJ1-1.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/Case.jpg

Head Band
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/Headband.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/HB-1.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/HeadB.jpg

Chem Dawg
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/Chemdog.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CD1-1.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/Chem.jpg

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Sick shots bro! Ahh... Sitting outside and watching your ladies... Then watching an umbrella snap one of their beautiful branches in slow motion... Priceless. :giggle

justiceman

justiceman

Sick shots bro! Ahh... Sitting outside and watching your ladies... Then watching an umbrella snap one of their beautiful branches in slow motion... Priceless. :giggle

Thanks man. Haha you said it man. At first I was pretty angry at the situation:doh, but after I mulled it over I just LOL about it now:rofl. It was so weird that I just so happened to be their for it.:whew I was lucky because If I wasn't their the umbrella could have rolled around and caused more damage haha.

S

supasticky

Nice plants vato.

They are starting to need water about once every day now. Seems the 5 gal smart pots ended up being just a bit too small. Oh well next time I'll have to try out 7gal smart pots instead hehe. I hope to finish these girls right around the start of October. Here are some pictures for you guys. Stay tuned as the Indoor update should be up either tonight or tomorrow.

Nice update! those buds are looking hella nice.
THAT KUSH! :surprised

I think that regardless of the size of pots, they'll fill them out. Your plants will just be bigger. I mean if you go from like 1 gallon to 7 gallon it might take a while, but if you go from like 3 gallon they'll fill out in about the same time. It will probably take a little longer, but not much. I say you just hit up two 300 gallon biatches! lol DAMN! maybe just 100 and 3 in each or something. that will probably work out better as far as having space for all of them to keep growing, and growing, and growing....IMO :nerd

-Supa

justiceman

justiceman

Nice update! those buds are looking hella nice.
THAT KUSH! :surprised

I think that regardless of the size of pots, they'll fill them out. Your plants will just be bigger. I mean if you go from like 1 gallon to 7 gallon it might take a while, but if you go from like 3 gallon they'll fill out in about the same time. It will probably take a little longer, but not much. I say you just hit up two 300 gallon biatches! lol DAMN! maybe just 100 and 3 in each or something. that will probably work out better as far as having space for all of them to keep growing, and growing, and growing....IMO :nerd

-Supa

I agree for the most part but I do beleive that a 7gal or higher container would provide for more water retention. Haha that would be hella tite to put a few in a 300. I actually just picked up a 280gal 3' x 6' x 20" geo planter not long ago:winking0067: I'm gonna plant some veggies in it though. Might get another one for the ladies:thinking

------------------------------------

Tent Update

So I finally have begun flowering the ladies. Flipped them yesterday. I have to say that I was fortunate enough to get the 3k PSMH finally! So that is what I'm using for flower this time around. No HPS. PSMH all the way through guys. It will be interesting to see the outcome. I hope your as excited about it as I am!

So far the girls seem to be doing quite well. Nice and lush green. So far PBP has proven to be quite solid for me. Good stuff. And I am liking the coco too. Can't wait to see how this flowering phase is going to play out with the coco/PBP/PSMH change. Let me know what you guys think!

Here is what I have been feeding them as of late.
Feeding(9/1/10)
(2 extra gallons on top of the normal 4 so 6 gal of water total)
250ppm calmag
40ml PBP grow
30ml Silica Blast
6ml Roots Exelurator
60ml Hygrozyme
17.5ml Trinity
PPM=550(1.1EC)

Feeding(9/4/10)
250ppm calmag
15ml Ancient amber
1.25ml Huvega
PPM= 330(almost .7EC

Here are some pics.
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1612.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1610.jpg

Shady

Shady

Chillin' in the Shade...
Supporter
Love the tent update brah... Looks like those girls are loving the pure coco and ready to blossom! How often are you watering them as it doesn't look like you used any perlite? :wondering

justiceman

justiceman

nice neat deep green bushy even cannopy solid 10 bro
Thanks man. I'm all about having an even canopy because it means the light levels will be consistent among the girls. Hopefully I don't have too much trouble keeping things consistent in flower as I'm running 3 different strains in that canopy.:character0053:

Love the tent update brah... Looks like those girls are loving the pure coco and ready to blossom! How often are you watering them as it doesn't look like you used any perlite? :wondering

Thanks buddy! They are liking the coco no doubt. I water them about once every 3 days and by the 3rd day they are pretty damn dry(but not too dry) and I did not use any perlite at all just pure 100% coco. I haven't had any problems with over watering whatsoever. Earlier I mentioned I was scared to water too much as I wanted run off but I couldn't get it without the fear of over watering. I decided to bite the bullet and increase the amount of water to achieve run off and see what happens.

My experience so far with pure coco is that it holds on to a certain amount of water(a lot) until it reaches it's "saturation point". When you water over the saturation point the coco all of a sudden it explodes with TONS of run off witch indirectly pulls tons of oxygen from the top into the root system. The saturation point for my 2 gal smart pots is right around slightly less then a gal of water. At first I used 5 gals to water nine 2gal smart pots. That amount of water was only able to wet the coco but not achieve any run off. Then I upped it to 6 and I was still unable to achieve any run off. I decided to say F it and I made a 9 gal brew so I could water 1gal of water for each 2 gal smart pot. I slowly poured half a gal into one pot(nothing came out). I then poured another 1/4 gal(nothing came out). Then I poured the last 1/4 and tons of water started gushing out of the bottom.

So If I chose to go by 3/4 gal per plant witch would not get me run off that would take me about 6.75gal(lets say 7gal) every watering. Interestingly enough that is just about the maximum those pots hold. When I watered 1gal to each plant I got total run off of about 2.5 gal. If you do the math the water left in the medium would be about 6.5gal. So no matter what the coco will hold on to only a certain amount of water and then release the rest. Kind of like a safety release so the oxygen levels don't get too low in the root system. I like that. I'll prob stick to 8-9 gal brews in order to achieve healthy run off so I can battle against salt build up and such.

I like the drainage properties coco has. Seems like it will be extremely easy to flush:winking0067:

justiceman

justiceman

That's what I was about to say until I read that part lol.

-Supa
haha I know how that goes.

Nice pics justiceman

Thanks for stopping by man! Sometimes my pics aren't the greatest but for the most part I aim to put good shots in this journal.

---------------------------------

Outdoor Update
Hey everyone! I must say these girls are really packing on the nugs now. It's about week 6 of flower so It shouldn't be too long until harvest hehe. I ended up putting them in line so they would get an even amount of sunshine all around instead of half of them getting more light then the other half witch were closer to the wall. As a result the half being closer to the wall were getting reduced light in the afternoon, AND they consistently had a higher N profile because they weren't using it as much as the others. Here is what I have been feeding them as of late.

Feeding(9/7/10)
R/O water

Feeding(9/8/10)
5ml molasses
15ml HPK
PH: 6.0

Feeding(9/9/10)
5ml molasses
15ml HPK
15ml HP
PH:6.2

Feeding(9/10/10
R/O water

Feeding(9/11/10
5ml molasses
15ml HPK
30ml HP
PH: 6.5

Feeding(9/12/10)
30ml Pura Vida Bloom
PPM=980
PH 6.0

Feeding(9/13/10)
R/O water

I also ran into some of the branches bending or leaning over. So I took some string and tied them to the main stalk. We don't want any nugs touching the ground now do we. Here are some pictures for ya!

Family shot
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1625.jpg

Casey Jones
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CJ-2.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CJ1-2.jpg

Head Band
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/HB1-2.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/HB-2.jpg

Chem Dawg
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CD1-2.jpg

http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/CD-2.jpg

Flower Tent Update

So It's been 7 days(1week) since I went 12/12 with the 3k 600w PSMH. So far everything seems to be going just fine. I have noticed that I'm able to place it far closer to the tops then with my normal HPS. I beleive this makes up for it's decrease in luminosity. I can't wait to see how the flowers come out in the next few weeks with this lighting type:smoke Here's what I have been feeding them so far.

Feeding(9/7/10)
250ppm calmag
6.1ml PBP grow
5ml Silica Blast
15ml ancient amber
1ml roots excelurator
15ml hygrozyme
3.8ml trinity
PH 6.0
PPM=710(about 1.4EC)

Feeding(9/12/10)
250ppm calmag
6.1ml PBP grow
5ml Silica Blast
15ml ancient amber
15ml Humega
1ml roots excelurator
15ml hygrozyme
3.8ml trinity
PH 6.0
PPM=800(about 1.6EC)

As you can see the time in between watering actually increased instead of decreasing. The reason for this is previously I wasn't fully saturating the coco and was achieving no run off(above post has more detail). I started to see leaf fringes stand up(from high mineral concentrations) and so I decided to up the amount of water in order to achieve run off in so I could keep salt build up at bay. As a result of the increased water the coco stays wetter for a longer period of time(about an extra day).

Here's a pic of the ladies for ya.
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1638.jpg

Let me know what you think!

M

mikegreenthumb

Here's a pic of the ladies for ya.
http://i1014.invalid.com/albums/af261/fatyfatkins/IMG_1638.jpg

Let me know what you think!

looking good bro wish my indoor was on track spider mites really fucked shit up still recovring/ trying to beat em

S

supasticky

Those nugs are going to be HUGE! That first pic is fuckin tight too.

-Supa

justiceman

justiceman

looking good bro wish my indoor was on track spider mites really fucked shit up still recovring/ trying to beat em
Shit mang sorry to hear that. Battle those bastards!

Those nugs are going to be HUGE! That first pic is fuckin tight too.

-Supa

Nice thanks mayn. One of the plants are leaning now. Its kinda got me scared.

-------------------------------------------

Outdoor Update

Hey everyone so it's about week 7 and things are starting to chunk up. I'll admit that one of my Head Band's is leaning quite hard and it's scaring me. I hope it doesn't break from the weight. I've done what I can with ties and such so we shall see. Here's what I have been feeding them as of late.

Feeding(9/14/10)
R/O water

Feeding(9/15/10)
15ml HPK
30ml HP
5ml mollases
PH: 6.4

Feeding(9/16/10)
15ml Humega
15ml Huvega
PPM=350
PH 6.3

Feeding(9/17/10
30ml Pura Vida Bloom
15ml HPK
15ml Humega
15ml Huvega
PPM=1000(2.0 EC)
PH 5.9

Feeding(9/19/10
molasses water

Feeding(9/20/10)
15ml Humega
15ml Huvega
PH 5.9

Feeding(9/21/10)
R/O water

I'm hoping to harvest these ladies in about 3 weeks hopefully. Wish me luck!

http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/IMG_1644.jpg

Head Band
http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/HB-2.jpg

http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/HB1.jpg

Chem Dawg
http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/CD-2.jpg

http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/CD1.jpg

Casey Jones
http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/CJ1.jpg

http://i23.invalid.com/albums/b389/kingoflessthen3/CJ-3.jpg

Let me know what you think! Questions, comments, criticism etc.

winta

winta

comment: very nice bro
question: why arent these in my backyard? LMAO

M

misssticky

those girls are LEANIN! daaang. very nice justiceman.

:harvest: <-- that's gunna be you

Top Bottom