L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Pex is really easy to run and not too hard to figure out. Maybe you can piggyback off your heating system is you run hydrostatic.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Pex is really easy to run and not too hard to figure out. Maybe you can piggyback off your heating system is you run hydrostatic.

no i have a propane furnace. Dont want more propane expense. Electric may be cheaper considering at least 12 hours of hid lamps going. I just need to heat up to maybe 63 degrees a 10’x10’ curtained in area. But the walls are block form and porous and so is the floor.

I think we may have strayed too far from led arguing. ;-)

cmh feels more like the sun on my neck anyway. ;-)

Harvard

Harvard

This was my first winter with LED’s, and i learned a lot. I’m in Michigan and will put heated flooring in my basement flower room for next winter.
Something along the lines of this. My room is 6 by 10 so 500$ or so. My neighbor has this in his bathroom.
3C3C5E53 3B0D 4321 B1BA 8CA4E52DCD70

fishbuds

fishbuds

It seems like led is great if your starting conditions are good for it.

It seems like, if your starting environment is not good for led(ie..cold) - you need to use heaters, hueys and dehueys, etc... while lights are on and off, increasing your electric footprint back closer to hid. Oil filled radiators, and dehumidiers are not cheap to run, in a room of any size.

It seems like led demands upon the plant are different from the hid/hps lights. Some experienced growers have had a difficult time with the transition.

I hope to incorporate led into my system soon. Seems like they would be great to run in the warmer months indoors.

I'm just a middlin' t5/hps grower/chucker, with no led/cannabis experience.

Keymaker

Keymaker

I got a propane heater and just heat the whole basement with it it was like 800 dollars. Propanes cheap at least were I am if you own your tanks. I hate adding to my electric bill.

Homesteader

Homesteader

LEDs don't need heaters but many people are running them fairly light not pushing the light as hard which creates the heat. You can tell a lot about a light by the size of the heat sink. The problem is under the canopy when you have a cold floor and bags directly on the ground. I assume it would be a problem with either LEDs or HIDs though. Basements get pretty damn cold in the winter at night here.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
With HPS, the light creates more heat but it's harder to control the heat. With an LED, a heater and a thermostat, you have the ability to set temperatures and the tent will stay at that temperature. On a hot day, a tent with HPS will be hotter than usual or on a cold day, the tent will be colder than usual. If you live in a super cold place where you'd need a heater with an HPS everyday then I think that might be a better solution that LED. Emphasis on the might because I haven't grown under any extreme spectrums like that.

Kanzeon

Kanzeon

Could you vent the heat from the lights under the tent between the floor and basement floor?

If you really wanted to go nuts, you could install copper piping under the tent and then pump temperature controlled water through it via immersion circulator as needed.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Could you vent the heat from the lights under the tent between the floor and basement floor?

If you really wanted to go nuts, you could install copper piping under the tent and then pump temperature controlled water through it via immersion circulator as needed.
I think so but then you'd need another exhaust fan. Otherwise you'd have an enclosed space.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
The only thing that really needs to be exhausted is the heat, right? If there's a cold basement floor there to take care of dissipating heat, then what needs to be exhausted?
You'd need CO2 so unless you had supplemental CO2 then you would have to have another intake/exhaust.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

With HPS, the light creates more heat but it's harder to control the heat. With an LED, a heater and a thermostat, you have the ability to set temperatures and the tent will stay at that temperature. On a hot day, a tent with HPS will be hotter than usual or on a cold day, the tent will be colder than usual. If you live in a super cold place where you'd need a heater with an HPS everyday then I think that might be a better solution that LED. Emphasis on the might because I haven't grown under any extreme spectrums like that.

there are way too many variables to come to any of the conclusions here imo. Hid can be air cooled properly and is likely cooler than a big led at that point.

And 600 watts is 600 watts. The room will heat up with or without a lot of downward radiant heat. The heat and energy savings come from running less watts of led for the same amount of light.

Also hid rooms run in the mid 70’s fine but led rooms seem to need 80 or more so the led room will likely overheat first with hot weather and an unsealed room. More wiggle room at 75 degrees.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Actually a cool idea would be if the exhaust ducting was split into 2, have a fan on each new duct and connect both of the fans to a thermostat so when the tent is too cold, it runs the fan that goes back into the tent and when it's too hot, it runs the fan going out out of the tent. This would probably be the most expensive option but will be the best for saving electricity. You wouldn't have to buy a heater nor an LED but you'd have to get an extra fan plus all the ducting and one of those special thermostats that have a cooling outlet and a heating one.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Actually a cool idea would be if the exhaust ducting was split into 2, have a fan on each new duct and connect both of the fans to a thermostat so when the tent is too cold, it runs the fan that goes back into the tent and when it's too hot, it runs the fan going out out of the tent. This would probably be the most expensive option but will be the best for saving electricity. You wouldn't have to buy a heater nor an LED but you'd have to get an extra fan plus all the ducting and one of those special thermostats that have a cooling outlet and a heating one.

you dont want exhausted air back in. The running it under the tent makes sense. I exhaust my flower room heat under the living room as supplemental heat for the house.

gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
you dont want exhausted air back in. The running it under the tent makes sense. I exhaust my flower room heat under the living room as supplemental heat for the house.
In smaller tents, I think it would be fine since they only need the fan running a quarter of the time. Having the exhaust run back into the tent would be the same as having no exhaust at all.

Top Bottom