L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Like I've said before every light has its strengths and weakness. I run a bit of everything. I got 8 8w noma grow lights like regular household screwing style I use for my clones and seedlings.

I use a blurple led light 300w at the wall 1000w "eq" light in my veg tent. I like how the blue keeps my girls short and stout.

In my flower tent I use the king of lights for now a 1000w hps. The hps is in a 2x4 tent veg tent is 2.5x2.5 propagation tent is 2x2

Oldman13

Oldman13

Just took down a led today and put in a hps. Probably need to change again soon. Better than using a heater and the girls love it.
Yeah I was attempting to switch over do the new T5 LED UV supposedly ready to work in my existing T5 fluorescent bulb fixture. Bulbs cost three times the amount but I was thinking in a long run for the power consumption and heat index it was a great thing! The only problem is I don't think they have all the bugs worked out because they kept burning out / flickering with low light , or stay on for 5 minutes and then shut off one actually melted! That one was worrisome! Also I can put 2 LEDs and 1 fluorescence if I added one more LED, the LEDs Wood Shack off and the rest of the fluorescence would Flicker and get hot... I really got tired of using the one-year warranty every other day so yesterday I took 9 LED bulbs back they replaced with nine T5 fluorescents and since I didn't have enough bulbs $150 back on my card! It's a real shame because I wanted to use those bulbs to cut down on my power consumption and heat index but it seems to be located only in the veggie room I still have four UV Bud LED T5 in my Bud room since I had to restart a whole new crop I won't know how well or how long those are last... But like I said it wasn't a happy occasion but thank God they had a one year warranty on them and I keep my receipts

Oldman13

Oldman13

I agree pick the right tool for the job... and that's not always LED. But likewise not always HID.
LOL yes the right tool for the right job! I mean it's like you would use a machete to mow your yard? Or a colander to fill your fish tank? Or rub two sticks together to light your bong? I once knew a boy from Georgia he played the bongos with his feet! Now I'm pretty sure his feet weren't really the right tool for that job , but I'm telling you that boy could really make those Bongos talk , literally this dude could actually ask you a question with those bongos never touching them with his hands! I would say he had soul

Oldman13

Oldman13

Its not much you miss though. A lot of pissing about
Capture 2021 03 18 00 50 33

LEDTonic

LEDTonic

The LED light longevity claims are FALSE, unsubstantiated, and pertain only to the emitter. 50,000 hrs 100,000 hrs life expectancy is abject nonsense
It isn't nonsense. Although, different parts will obviously have different lifespans. Quality parts will live for long, here is one good example.
LEDs will also live very long if the temperatures are reasonable. Obviously, the higher the temperature, the faster they will degrade and possibly stop working.
Cheap lamps tend to use cheap parts that don't live as long or carry the same warranty. Despite this, I've seen cheap LED lamps (household bulbs) live for years, even though they've been used for 18/6 or even 24/0 in our grow experiments. Even cheap diodes will live for very long, as I've never seen a diode stop working completely, but cheap drivers may fail occasionally.

CannasaurusR

CannasaurusR

It isn't nonsense. Although, different parts will obviously have different lifespans. Quality parts will live for long, here is one good example.
LEDs will also live very long if the temperatures are reasonable. Obviously, the higher the temperature, the faster they will degrade and possibly stop working.
Cheap lamps tend to use cheap parts that don't live as long or carry the same warranty. Despite this, I've seen cheap LED lamps (household bulbs) live for years, even though they've been used for 18/6 or even 24/0 in our grow experiments. Even cheap diodes will live for very long, as I've never seen a diode stop working completely, but cheap drivers may fail occasionally.
Meanwell drivers are supposed to be the best right now. I still have to prepay shipping to Asia for warranty with Meanwell (or my local dealer??? lol). Household bulbs are the main culprit for failure, less than half of the 60w equivalent leds have outlasted any of my cfl's in the same fixture 6 months to a year after install 2000-4000 hrs blink, blink , blink. Now I live in a rural area which has a widely fluctuating voltage at times, which seems to burn out oven elements and water heater cores prematurely, but Electronic equipment seems to be OK... possibly cheap led circuitry, can't handle this situation for lights. Jees now I' making excuses for them. Up to this point warranties are longer than most of the companies have existed, hopefully the lights outlast the warranty. I'm not big on trusting the Chinese, either yet, maybe it's just rascism skewing my opinion? Hope not. I think Halogen lights suck balls too...lol

LEDTonic

LEDTonic

Meanwell drivers are supposed to be the best right now. I still have to prepay shipping to Asia for warranty with Meanwell (or my local dealer??? lol). Household bulbs are the main culprit for failure, less than half of the 60w equivalent leds have outlasted any of my cfl's in the same fixture 6 months to a year after install 2000-4000 hrs blink, blink , blink. Now I live in a rural area which has a widely fluctuating voltage at times, which seems to burn out oven elements and water heater cores prematurely, but Electronic equipment seems to be OK... possibly cheap led circuitry, can't handle this situation for lights. Jees now I' making excuses for them. Up to this point warranties are longer than most of the companies have existed, hopefully the lights outlast the warranty. I'm not big on trusting the Chinese, either yet, maybe it's just rascism skewing my opinion? Hope not. I think Halogen lights suck balls too...lol

If you buy a lamp from a good brand that stands behind their products and offers a three-year warranty that covers the whole lamp, like LEDTonic, you'll get a new driver right away, hassle-free. I got the impression we were discussing LED lamps in general? Claiming the warranty from China or Chinese brands might be more difficult but that is a discussion on its own. I mean, it could be equally difficult to claim the warranty on a broken HPS lamp from China.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

If you buy a lamp from a good brand that stands behind their products and offers a three-year warranty that covers the whole lamp, like LEDTonic, you'll get a new driver right away, hassle-free. I got the impression we were discussing LED lamps in general? Claiming the warranty from China or Chinese brands might be more difficult but that is a discussion on its own. I mean, it could be equally difficult to claim the warranty on a broken HPS lamp from China.
It can be equally difficult to claim a warranty on a US made product if the registration step was missed. There's many variables to consider.

Recently I purchased the ROI-e720 LED grow light from a local hydro store. I have 2 shiskaberry plants from seed that I'm ready to initiate the flowering cycle. One of those plants will be under 720w of Kingbrites and the other will be under the ROI-e720. I'm interested in seeing the difference in growth.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

It can be equally difficult to claim a warranty on a US made product if the registration step was missed. There's many variables to consider.

Recently I purchased the ROI-e720 LED grow light from a local hydro store. I have 2 shiskaberry plants from seed that I'm ready to initiate the flowering cycle. One of those plants will be under 720w of Kingbrites and the other will be under the ROI-e720. I'm interested in seeing the difference in growth.

I assume they dont use the same diodes? If you are going to do it scientically you want to have all variables on both plants the same.

Would be unfair if one was in hydro for instance but that is maybe a bad example for you

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I assume they dont use the same diodes? If you are going to do it scientically you want to have all variables on both plants the same.

Would be unfair if one was in hydro for instance but that is maybe a bad example for you
You're right, but this is the best I can do. The kingbrites have lm301h chips with 660nm + uv + ir ... The e720 has no uv.

Same soil mix same everything else other than in different tents.

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

Is the inside of the tents different from each other? F.ex. one is white and other is mylar? That would have a very minimal impact I guess but my curiosity man

Got the lm301h w uv myself. Unsure of how much effect i get from that uv so will be interesting to see how yours goes

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Is the inside of the tents different from each other? F.ex. one is white and other is mylar? That would have a very minimal impact I guess but my curiosity man

Got the lm301h w uv myself. Unsure of how much effect i get from that uv so will be interesting to see how yours goes
That's the kind of thing I want to find out ... Does the UV make any difference? Both are very bright. Both will grow great plants ... Honestly, my guess is we'll end up splitting hairs to determine which is better. I will say this though ... the e720 was specifically designed to give an even light footprint through out a 5 x 5 tent ... to get the same coverage with a quantum board setup using lighting I already have would require me to use more wattage. I know that much already ... I'll take pictures once I move the plants from veg to their new tents.

Edit: Both tents are mylar lined. The tent that has the e720 in is a 4' x 5' tent. I had to shoe-horn it in there. My other is a 5 x 5 where I have four 240w quantum boards (only 3 in use) and 4' t-8 style leds for side lighting. My 5 x 5 tent will have more light in it. So no, this isn't true scientific ... I'm curious about some things.

Last edited:
Jumpingspider

Jumpingspider

Like I've said before every light has its strengths and weakness. I run a bit of everything. I got 8 8w noma grow lights like regular household screwing style I use for my clones and seedlings.

I use a blurple led light 300w at the wall 1000w "eq" light in my veg tent. I like how the blue keeps my girls short and stout.

In my flower tent I use the king of lights for now a 1000w hps. The hps is in a 2x4 tent veg tent is 2.5x2.5 propagation tent is 2x2
Jesus. 1000w hps in a 2x4? How do you manage heat?

JadedMarxist

JadedMarxist

Supporter
Cool tube and an 8 inch fan
Drawing air from outside and venting into my basement and I can physically touch the glass cool tube with my bare hands

Goblinkiller

Goblinkiller

I see, migrampausa. You got 4x240w in 5x5..i just got 4x240w for my 4x4. We will see how well it fits. Nothing wrong with the kingbrite tho. Just want more than 480w. I have been pondering if led companies include uv led because its a demand for it. Not because its efficient.

The efficient uv is those fluorescent lights you use for 2 hours midcycle . Where as my kingbrite got a switch on each board that control red and uv.
That control should only turn on off uv so there is that. I keep it on constant and only flower with it so I would not know difference in veg with uv led. Probably none

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I see, migrampausa. You got 4x240w in 5x5..i just got 4x240w for my 4x4. We will see how well it fits. Nothing wrong with the kingbrite tho. Just want more than 480w. I have been pondering if led companies include uv led because its a demand for it. Not because its efficient.

The efficient uv is those fluorescent lights you use for 2 hours midcycle . Where as my kingbrite got a switch on each board that control red and uv.
That control should only turn on off uv so there is that. I keep it on constant and only flower with it so I would not know difference in veg with uv led. Probably none
Once this run is done, the e720 is going in the 5 x 5. Too much work to make the change mid run. I'm running 5 plants with the shiskaberry ( pictures coming soon) under three 240 watt boards with side lighting in this tent. I may or may not turn on the 4th board. We'll see.

It's not full but that's because I prefer to have room ... which is why I pulled out the 4 x 5 tent and put the others in there in the first place, for room to grow, room to work, etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom