L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

i can't believe i didn't see this thread earlier!!!! i love me some good shit talkin!!!

I don't have the data, experience, or proof about any of this i saw it all on facebook!!!

two things are lies and one is true.... can you guess which is true???

HID (hps/mh) lights are old and outdated, no new tech just the same old same old!!!
LED is not worth using yet, just not there and a long way off!!
ceramic bulbs is where its at people!!!!

one true thing is, i never would sign up for social media.... f@%k facebook!!!

...... alright, let me have it!!!!

🏴‍☠️

I liked my philips 315 cmh paired with a 600w hps for better results. Alone it is a bit low powered for flowering.

Was that as exciting as you hoped? ;-)

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

seems many forget led only just recently matched de hps with 700 watt plus huge bar lights. 4x the money and 4 feet square huge heavy lamp.

so much for the years of previous claims. We should just forget the manufacturers lied all those other times. ;-)

There are pros and cons to both lights, but when people act like HPS is some ancient, out of date technology, with no use.....it's just ignorant IMO.

Oh, and the lies 😆 I just seen a 1000w LED for $169 on Amazon, but in fine print it says 100 actual watts. Some companies are still lying to this day lol.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

There are pros and cons to both lights, but when people act like HPS is some ancient, out of date technology, with no use.....it's just ignorant IMO.

Oh, and the lies 😆 I just seen a 1000w LED for $169 on Amazon, but in fine print it says 100 actual watts. Some companies are still lying to this day lol.

a company called grow green Michigan seems to sell pallets of gavita de hps lamps and pallets of gavita led lamps.

Both sell out quickly. But the deal on 1000 watt all in one de lamps bulb included is $250 each and $950 for the special price on the led. You can get years of replacement bulbs for the difference and still be much cheaper.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

a company called grow green Michigan seems to sell pallets of gavita de hps lamps and pallets of gavita led lamps.

Both sell out quickly. But the deal on 1000 watt all in one de lamps bulb included is $250 each and $950 for the special price on the led. You can get years of replacement bulbs for the difference and still be much cheaper.

Those are both great lights! But yeah, the LED is so damn expensive compared to HID.

growsince79

growsince79

You can buy the 100w hlg for $150 and free shipping. For some reason they don't call it a 1000w. And they show the real spectrum and ppfd numbers. I bought one to try last summer and now have 4. If I lived in a cooler climate, I would probably still be using MH/HPS.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

You can buy the 100w hlg for $150 and free shipping. For some reason they don't call it a 1000w. And they show the real spectrum and ppfd numbers. I bought one to try last summer and now have 4. If I lived in a cooler climate, I would probably still be using MH/HPS.

Yes, some companies are honest, I was just referring to the liars. I heard good things about hlg too.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

The only downside I've seen so far is they are too cool in the winter. I still have mh and hps. I mix and match -swap lights without any stress. Haven't seen a hermie yet.

I wish I had the problem of being too cold, I'm in the sunshine state lol 🥵

Geoffo

Geoffo

Hi im thinking of transitioning to LED lights from HPS but ive a final HPS experimental grow coming up just to see if i can smash my PB regarding HPS GPW.. now i do get very good yields under HPS anyway.. im unsure ultimately if id benefit from the change to LED, but i do have certain limitations where i grow that could tip the balance in favour of LEDs..

I do have a few questions id really appreciate anyones experience or input from as the answers in my research ive undertaken so far i cannot find.

Im limited with my grow by total power i can consume and the heat generated by it.. as best i understand LEDs run cooler and are more energy efficient so i may be able to use a larger growspace than i do currently with LED lights and consume about the same total watts in power from the wall as i do with HPS?

So my current setup is 2x600w lights in 4x8ft growspace. Im adding a light rail mover this grow - 1st time using one btw - and increasing my growspace to 4x10ft.

In the usual 4x8ft with good genetics 28-32plants i get @1.5gpw, quality bud. The canopy ends up rammed, i pull a row out wk9 the plants swell and fill the space again within days, then i crop the lot.
Im positive lack of space limits yield hence the lightmover this time, il still have 30watts perft2 and better light distribution. Ive tried to veg in a manner to give a deeper canopy with more bud sites instead but yields drop.
I grow in 10l pots, the clones are nipped once sometimes twice to give 6-8 main arms, defoliated and weak stems removed up until end of first week 12/12 . Theyre @8inch tall, about the same wide when put 12/12 just over 2ft when done.

So ive not used a light mover before. I plan on just 12-15inch movement on the rail, a 30 second pause each end. I can possibly extend my growroom even further, in the final week or 2 when the canopys full but the watts per ft2 would drop to 26watts perft2 if i went 11x4 - i think that may be too low and detrimental?
Is light intensity as crucial the last 1-2weeks? I cannot be certain but it appeared better trichs with slightly less intensity the last week or so - but ive never went as low as 26w perft2 in the past.

About LED lighting to replace 600w HPS, i get @1.5gpw using the HPS in 4x4 space per light, like i mentioned i doubt i can increase my actual yield per ft2 of bud with the growstyle i have shaping the plants in veg.. the LEDs are more efficient in light distribution and available useful light per actual watt used... if im to replace my 600w HPS what kind of LED lighting system can i use that say increases my total grow space area without using much more total watts?

I saw i think a gavita 1700? That uses 645watts (may be wrong on the brand) that states it will flower a 5x5space in place of a 1000w HPS.. are they claiming with say 2gpw they mean the 645watts the actual LED light uses in the 5x5 space (its not gpw based on the 1000wHPS the LED replaces surely)
Im trying to comprehend exactly what conditions have been changed that has improved their yields, eg more available useful light in a larger growspace and if itll affect positively my yields if- when i change over to LEDs.

Sorry my posts long winded, one more question, would using a light rail mover on a LED light be bit of a waste of time really- im assuming that the LEDs are set to be efficient in their light distribution and yield over a given area, much more closer to optimal than a HPS?

Thanks for any replies guys n happy growing!

stoneyluv

stoneyluv

I liked my philips 315 cmh paired with a 600w hps for better results. Alone it is a bit low powered for flowering.

Was that as exciting as you hoped? ;-)

not too exciting... haha its all true though!!!

a phillips 315 close enough to the plants they will for sure outperform an HPS watt for watt without a doubt... but man if you can combine a 315 phillips and a HQ LED and connect those with a mover of some sort there is nothing better on the market IMO.

🙃

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

You are part of the 0.4% of vehicles that are electric, good for you. Late to what party?? Because I haven't used an LED light? I didn't say anything negative about LED's.

And people were pulling 3-4 pounds per light with HPS and RDWC, back in 2011, that is well known. Seems LED is late to the party, finally getting numbers close to HPS, it's about time.
"chippin" aint easy dawg

RookieBC

RookieBC

Is my LED Shitty first one I've used? Before you tear me apart for buying this let me day this. I won it for a grand total of $0 in a contest so for $0 how did I do and how would I have done if I bought it? Is it any good? Only used it for 6 weeks and I'm in
Screenshot 20210507 043837
Screenshot 20210507 043859
Screenshot 20210507 043909
PXL 20210507 074748450
PXL 20210507 053216099
PXL 20210507 053012924
7th week of flower today

PiffinOut

PiffinOut

yep oops 40 bucks a year more, well at least the fixture will outlast my bulbs which are...hmm...replaceable. The LED light longevity claims are FALSE, unsubstantiated, and pertain only to the emitter. 50,000 hrs 100,000 hrs life expectancy is abject nonsense. I'm not saying led can't grow fantastic weed, but cost effective replacement for HID is no where near the reality reported by its own peers. Oh ever have to change your led taillight? Same bullshit, all made for a throwaway world. An 1157 incandescent bulb is under 5 bucks, and melts the ice forming on your taillights all winter. Your led taillight module with a 35,000 hr life expectancy, is 1179 dollars , and isn't covered by your powertrain warranty. Try replacing it in 8 years LOL Whole car obsolete and fails safety because of an unavailable, obsolete led light. Wonder why you can't get a loan for a 5 yr. old plus car? LOL
the crafty would go rip one from a junkyard.

Madmax

Madmax

I loved my gavita de 6/750 but was having probs with heat and stretch during spring summer but i will put that down to lack of experience and knowledge.the spectrum of the led i have chosen has kept them short and the heat is more evenly spread.kills 2 birds with one stone..once i get experience clocked up i will give the hps another wizz..i loved the size of the buds they produce..

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Is my LED Shitty first one I've used? Before you tear me apart for buying this let me day this. I won it for a grand total of $0 in a contest so for $0 how did I do and how would I have done if I bought it? Is it any good? Only used it for 6 weeks and I'm in View attachment 1121526View attachment 1121527View attachment 1121528View attachment 1121529View attachment 1121530View attachment 11215317th week of flower today

You got a $1200 light for free, I'd say you made out real good.

squinteastwood

squinteastwood

Is recommended VPD for various stages of growth different under leds?

Slightly higher?

RookieBC

RookieBC

You got a $1200 light for free, I'd say you made out real good.
I said the same thing some people trashed me on another forum for even taking it because it wasn't the brand the like so I was making sure I'm not a complete fucking idiot for replacing the 1000w HID because the heat from that in a tiny ass tent is too much unless it's -2 outside

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I said the same thing some people trashed me on another forum for even taking it because it wasn't the brand the like so I was making sure I'm not a complete fucking idiot for replacing the 1000w HID because the heat from that in a tiny ass tent is too much unless it's -2 outside

They are mostly the same lights in each way overpriced range. You are lucky to have won a good light that’s that big. Our sponsor never gives a decent sized lamp away.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't know why people get so defensive over a random corporation, it ain't like that company gives a damn about the people who defend them all the time.

Reminds me of kids who say you ain't cool if you don't have on Nike, Adidas, etc. People who act like that are immature, I would avoid them at all costs lmao.

Latest posts

Top Bottom