LA Confidential Grow

• Thread starter Afghi420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Afghi420

Afghi420

Here is my lovely LA Con. It was a free seed with my last order, unfortunately........it's a boy!
View attachment 291785

where did that seed come from? The 12 i ordered from DNA i think were fem'd. Are you saving that boy to mate with something special? I've got a few freebies kicking around too.. I've got a Chem Dawg and Blue Dream from HUmboldt Seed Org.. Got a Jack, a Vintage 2006 and a Vintage 2006 x Yumbolt from ch9, and ive got a Deisel Auto from g13 labs. Was thinking of popping some for the summer, i really want to try the Chem Dawg, have always wanted to try that strain..

DYNAMIX

DYNAMIX

hey plants are lookin good matey and lovin the groom, nice and clean as it should be!
little tip for ya bout the humidity! your on the rite track with the bucket of water but hang a towel like you do on a washing line
and have it inside the bucket so it wickes up the water and get a fan blowin on it if ya have one spare! it worked for me before i had a sonic humidifier! im subbed so atb with it lad! as always nuff respect..

Afghi420

Afghi420

Wll my plants spent their first day in darkness today. Things seem to be looking good. I decided to kill off 2 of my plants. They were showing a couple different issues for weeks now and didn't seem to be coming out of it, even though the other plants were fine.. I think they were just weak plants from the beginning, a few of my seeds dried out during germination and im sure that must have been the cause.. I spent a few hours last night tying down a lot of lower branches on all the remaining 6 plants. I gotta say i feel a lot better about them now, all those lower branches that wouldn't be getting much light are now exposed a lot more to the light, hopefully this will help with my yield some. The plants are known to have a fairly small yield to begin with so i want to get as much light as i can to all of the lower bud sights. The weather is starting to warm up now too so im not having too much trouble keeping things warm during lights out. I set the lights out period to start at 7am and lights come on at 7pm, our days are usually above freezing atleast now so with the heater i have in the tent it kept things at 19 celcius during lights out today, which should be fine.. I can't wait until i start to see some buds, from all of the feedback i have gotten it sounds like the LA should be quite nice. Here is a couple pics i took today. Anyone know what the curling down at the ends of some of my fan leaves means?

DSCN1294
DSCN1296

Afghi420

Afghi420

I'm too afraid to keep males around...... but it sure hurt to chop it.

It's hard to bring yourself to kill plants isnt it? I killed 2 last night, it had to be done.. They were such weak plants and looked pretty messed up for awhile now and i figured if they are showing signs of stress so easily they would probably just end up hermying anyways, didn't want to take the risk. Now that i have tied a lot of my lower branches down it has taken up more room around my plants anyways, so with the 6 im left with they fit perfectly, 8 would have been to tight of a squeeze anyways.. I've been eyeing the Iranian Autoflower for a summer grow, the more i read about them the more they sound really nice..

Afghi420

Afghi420

Just a couple updated pics from March 15. Not to much different, buds are just beginning to form though. I seem to be issue free for awhile now, im really loving having things dialed in a little better. Having a proper feeding schedule with my Earth Juice really makes a difference as well, as i found out i was underfeeding my plants big time in the past. Anyways here are a couple new pictures. Anyone know what that curling at the very ends of my bigger leaves is about.. They have been doing that for a couple weeks now.

15MarLACon
Narch15LA

ftwendy

ftwendy

Chugging along there bro - good work.

Can you give them more root space? I think they want some fresh leg room... also, when was the last time you watered with plain water?

Afghi420

Afghi420

Chugging along there bro - good work.

Can you give them more root space? I think they want some fresh leg room... also, when was the last time you watered with plain water?

I could have put them in bigger pots, but not sure why i would bother.. They are in 3 gallon pots and as they are fairly small plants i would imagine they are far from being rootbound. As for the watering, i give them straight water every second feeding usually, sometimes every third. Sometimes my leaf tips get a bit burned but they always go back to green very quickly if i hit them with water a couple times after they show burnt tips. Just wondering what makes you think they need root space? I thought they looked pretty darn healthy to me, except for the odd slight burnt tip and slight curling of leaf tip..

ftwendy

ftwendy

They look like they're doing fine! I was suggesting those remedies for the leaf curl. Plus, a bit of root space will give you a nice stretch - something that's good with the LA since she's such a shorty. cheers, ftw

Afghi420

Afghi420

How long have you had them in the 3gals?

They have been in 3 gallons for maybe 5 or 6 weeks. 3 gallons is a fine size for a smaller quick flowering indica. I have finished plants that were a foot larger then these LA's and they were far from being totally rootbound or anything. The LA's are a fairly compact plant from what i have read anyways so i don't think you would gain much from using very large pots. I've read that over fertilization can also cause leaf tip curling, along with a few other leaf issues. Since i am getting leaf tip burn slightly sometimes it's could be possible that one or two plants showing a bit of curling at the ends of the leaf might just be another sign of slight over fertilization.. The plant's seem to be staying almost 100 % lush green though with no yellowing or spots on any leaves, except for the burnt tips. Very nice to finally have things to the point where im not constantly having some issue or another.

Afghi420

Afghi420

Here are a couple new pics from April 5. Plants are still doing fine. I didn't want to start removing healthy green leaves but where the leaves are so big and fat on one of the pheno's i had to remove a few of them just to get some more light on some of the buds. I should be right at the halfway mark through flowering now, with about 3 or 4 weeks to go. Im trying to decide when i should cut out the nitrogen completely. I would like to have them yellow up just as i am starting to flush for the final 10 days or so. In the past i have had them start yellowing way to soon, then i would end up trying to give them a bit of nitrogen to green them up some, but then i was confusing the plant tryin g to make it grow more leaf matter.. This time i want to try and time it perfectly..

April5LA
LAConApril5

T

tipper619sd

looking great man love me some la con i had a clone of it in my aero but it didnt do so hot on finished product looked great but was not the real deal. yours on the other hand look dank peace man

ftwendy

ftwendy

Looking great A420... just about to get FAT. Thin out your fan leaves a bit more so the lowers can get in on the party. The plant will thank you.

fwiw: I weened my LA off nutes for a week, then applied only plain water for the last 2 weeks of life. 20% runoff for the first ten days, then 50% runoff til the chop.....

Afghi420

Afghi420

I now know why ihad a few people tell me they have always kept the LA around just because of it's smell.. I was moving a branch the other day and got a whiff of one of the buds, man does it ever have some funk to it, and they still have atleast 3 weeks to go.. Its strange4 though, 3 out of the 6 plants i have have the serious afghi/skunk kind of funk to them.. Ive got 3 stinky plants, 2 that are the lesser desired pheno and dont have that same funkyness... I got one plant though that is the same pheno as the 3 stinky plants, but its almost got no real smell at all, strange.. Oh well, im happy that ive got atleast 3 plants that have some serious funkyness to them, i was wondering why i had a few people tell me how great the smell of the LA is, i know why now.. I hope the less desired pheno is still potent.. Ive got 4 plants that are more compact, seem to have a few lower branches then looks like mainly one central cola, where as the other 2 plants i have grew taller and don't have really any bud at all near the main stock, just lots of long branches.. I can't wait to see how bad these things will be stinkin in a few weeks, i just hope they finish good with no hermies..

ftwendy

ftwendy

My stretchy pheno of the LA is less stinky in bloom than her shorter sister, but she reeks once she's dried and ready for smoke. I started worrying about the stretch pheno being a dud the first time I flowered it, but three rounds have passed and everybody likes the stretch pheno better.

Keep an eye on those super branchy, taller phenos.... they yield very respectably with minimal veg, and the flavor of the smoke can be supremely satisfying.

day 28 stretch pheno
La1day28

day 58
Lastretch58

Afghi420

Afghi420

My stretchy pheno of the LA is less stinky in bloom than her shorter sister, but she reeks once she's dried and ready for smoke. I started worrying about the stretch pheno being a dud the first time I flowered it, but three rounds have passed and everybody likes the stretch pheno better.

Keep an eye on those super branchy, taller phenos.... they yield very respectably with minimal veg, and the flavor of the smoke can be supremely satisfying.

day 28 stretch pheno
View attachment 305323

day 58
View attachment 305324

Yeah my taller pheno's, which i topped so they have 4 decent sized top's on them both now, but i definitly notice they don't smell like the shorter one's do. Actually they all kind of vary.. I've got one plant that is just insane smelling, would have made a great mother that one.. I guess i would really have to clone them all, label them and wait till i smoked them to really find the best mother, obviously.. I just figured all of the fatter leaved pheno's would be the same.. Guess that's why people flower hundred's of plants just to narrow it down to one special plant.. This one super stinky plant i have seems to be putting out some of the fattest buds out of them all as well.. Im tellin ya, that smell is very funky, i can't wait until they are dry. I hate mixing different pheno's so i will make sure to keep all 6 plants seperate and will put the bud in 6 different jars, i hate when people mix different bud... I thought i still had awhile to go but i should be starting to flush in about a wekk to 10 days.. Do you go over 56 days with them? They claim 49-56 days on the website..

ftwendy

ftwendy

I've chopped them at 45, 49, 56, 60, and 61 days. The later the better, as flavors seem to intensify in the last weeks.

Afghi420

Afghi420

I would really like to try and take them all at the same time, although who knows if they would all be ready like that.. The only reason is that i only have the one humidifier and i plan on using it upstairs in the room im going to use to dry the plants.. I know the humidity upstairs in my house is probably at like 20-25, the growroom i keep around 45. I really want to slow my drying time down by atleast a few days. The last time i dried some plants they were snapping stems at like 5 days, which im sure is a few days too quick. Havin a proper RH in my drying room this time maybe will help preserve smells/tastes in the bud. I was even considering leaving the leaf all on the plans while they hang, i know it makes it a lot more time consuming to trim but thats the way we used to do it years ago with our afghi, and it had the strongest taste of any bud ive ever had. The downside might be making the plants a bit more prone to mold, which is something i for sure want to avoid at all costs. Maybe i will trim them up before i hang em and just hope that having proper RH for drying will help slow it down, i know it will... Anyway here's another pic of the room..

LAApril13
April13LA

Top Bottom