Leaf septoria showing up on young plant...HELP!!!

• Thread starter abernot
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
A

abernot

Hey all, first time grower here and I am running into an early issue 1.5 weeks in. First set of leaves is showing signs of septoria (at least i think this is the issue) and was wondering what I should do to correct this? As mentioned, the issue is showing up on the FIRST set of leaves sprouted. Since noticed, I changed out the water and nutes and it seems all the new leaves that have sprouted since are pretty healthy (although they show a faint yellowing).

Should I snip off these first leaves or just let it ride?

I am growing DWC
1.5 weeks in since placing these guys in the net pots
5 gal buckets
1/4 strength nutes
RO water
Using Botanicare Grow, Hydroguard, Silica Blast, and CalMag currently (introducing Bloom soon)
LED light about 18" from canopy
74°-77° water temp
75°-80° room temp

Leaf septoria showing up on young planthelp
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Need natural light pictures & pH?

No don't cut your leaves it's not likely septoria although can't be sure 100% until better pictures, it's likely pH related, I'm not a hydro guy but I am a septoria guy unfortunately :/

A

abernot

Thanks for the reply! pH has been adjusted to 5.5 every night. Over a 24 hour period it slowly creeps up from 5.5 to ~6.2-6.4 but then I adjust it back down every evening.

Attached are a couple more pics with natural light (not the beer).
IMG 2255
IMG 2251

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

What's your humidity?
Do you have fans on it?
So you have roots out the bottom?
What is your water level in relation to the bottom of the net pot?
Are you top feeding at all?
What are you using for ph down?

It's looking under watered which leads me to think you have no roots out the bottom yet and should be top feeding at least once a day. Of course this is all a blind guess until I get your responses.

A

abernot

Really appreciate your reply! My answers below:
- Im in Vegas and humidity is a pain in the ass to maintain, but its maintaining right around 35% to 45%
- Fan is running all day, oscillating and blowing across the canopy
- Roots have reached into the reservoir, but i did notice a couple of dark spots on the longest root (perhaps the culprit)?
- Water level is about .5" to 1" below the net pot
- Havent been doing any top feeding
- Using General Hydroponics pH down

Maybe it was an early on result of under watering but corrected itself as all the new leaves that have been coming in seem healthier?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Really appreciate your reply! My answers below:
- Im in Vegas and humidity is a pain in the ass to maintain, but its maintaining right around 35% to 45%
- Fan is running all day, oscillating and blowing across the canopy
- Roots have reached into the reservoir, but i did notice a couple of dark spots on the longest root (perhaps the culprit)?
- Water level is about .5" to 1" below the net pot
- Havent been doing any top feeding
- Using General Hydroponics pH down

Maybe it was an early on result of under watering but corrected itself as all the new leaves that have been coming in seem healthier?
Move the fan so it's creating air movement but not blowing on them at all.

You need to get the humidity up over 60%

I would top feed once a day for the next week. Just a cup from the res.

Mix up a gallon of hydrogaurd with distilled water only as per directions and poor from the top. The reason is most RO units do not remove chloramine.

1" below the net pot is perfect at this stage no closer

Can you take a pic of the roots before you do any of this.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also if your in a tent you don't need exhaust at all at this stage. So I would turn it off if you need in order to raise the humidity. An ultrasonic humidifier works well but may require some ventilation. A wet towel on the tent floor will also help

A

abernot

Mix up a gallon of hydrogaurd with distilled water only as per directions and poor from the top. The reason is most RO units do not remove chloramine.

Also if your in a tent you don't need exhaust at all at this stage. So I would turn it off if you need in order to raise the humidity. An ultrasonic humidifier works well but may require some ventilation. A wet towel on the tent floor will also help

You are the man! thanks so much for the advice. Attached are some pics of the roots. There is some funk going on high up on them but they look clean and white for the bottom half.

Getting my humidity to 60% is tough out here in Vegas. If i turn off my vent fan my temps skyrocket because its hotter than hell here, even with keeping the A/C in my house at 72°. Ill give it a shot tho and see if i can maintain the temp...I may also just need to beef up the humidifier and get a better one. Also going to give the towel on the ground a try.

When top feeding, how much should I give it at a time? The rapid rooter the plant is in is pretty saturated on a regular basis, does that matter?
IMG 2267
IMG 2263
IMG 2259
IMG 2257

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

You are the man! thanks so much for the advice. Attached are some pics of the roots. There is some funk going on high up on them but they look clean and white for the bottom half.

Getting my humidity to 60% is tough out here in Vegas. If i turn off my vent fan my temps skyrocket because its hotter than hell here, even with keeping the A/C in my house at 72°. Ill give it a shot tho and see if i can maintain the temp...I may also just need to beef up the humidifier and get a better one. Also going to give the towel on the ground a try.

When top feeding, how much should I give it at a time? The rapid rooter the plant is in is pretty saturated on a regular basis, does that matter?View attachment 888124View attachment 888125View attachment 888126View attachment 888127
Top feed a cup is plenty a day. Take fresh tap water and ph it to 5.8 in a separate container like an ice cream pail (something that has not had cleaners in it). Lightly very lightly wash the roots. You can dunk it swish it around until you get the brown sludge off. Do a complete res clean and change. Mix nutrients to 150ppm and put the net pot back in. Then mix hydrogaurd in distilled water at double dose and pour a cup or 2 from the top. Do not too feed after wait until tomorrow.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Temps in low 80's are ok at this point if you can get the humidity up.

What lighting are you using and how close it it?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Also
Im using a Platinum LED P450 (https://platinumgrowlights.com/product/p450/) and keeping it about 18" away from the top of the canopy.

So when I'm top feeding the 2 cups of distilled water with a double dose of hydroguard, just dump it on the starter cube one cup at a time?
Yes and put your light on veg only and about 30" above I'm guessing.

Cheap fast reference. Download "light meter" "by my mobile tools dev" on your phone if your android. measure the light right at the leaves no more than 5000 lumen for this stage.

Also when making new res. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda (not baking powder) to the RO first (ideally potassium bicarbonate but I'm sure you don't have that on hand) then add nutrients then ph it down. RO water has no buffering capacity and with so little nutrients you will get ph swings. This should give you a more stable ph to work with.

A

abernot

Also
Yes and put your light on veg only and about 30" above I'm guessing.

Cheap fast reference. Download "light meter" "by my mobile tools dev" on your phone if your android. measure the light right at the leaves no more than 5000 lumen for this stage.

Also when making new res. Add 1/4 tsp of baking soda (not baking powder) to the RO first (ideally potassium bicarbonate but I'm sure you don't have that on hand) then add nutrients then ph it down. RO water has no buffering capacity and with so little nutrients you will get ph swings. This should give you a more stable ph to work with.

Dude, totally appreciate all of the help. I just washed the roots in pH'd distilled water (removed pretty much all of the brown junk), mixed up a new batch of nutrients and dropped her in the new res.

Also closed off the fan vent...humidity jumped up to ~60% right away but im getting about 87° in the grow room currently.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Dude, totally appreciate all of the help. I just washed the roots in pH'd distilled water (removed pretty much all of the brown junk), mixed up a new batch of nutrients and dropped her in the new res.

Also closed off the fan vent...humidity jumped up to ~60% right away but im getting about 87° in the grow room currently.
Anyway to set it on a timer? On/off every so often? Or restrict the intake flaps so it pulls less air through? Low 80's ok but that's getting up there

A

abernot

Anyway to set it on a timer? On/off every so often? Or restrict the intake flaps so it pulls less air through? Low 80's ok but that's getting up there

So i ended up restricting the intake flaps a bit by putting a 4" net pot in there and covering up half of the net pot with duct tape. Let's see how it works!

Couple unrelated question.

1.) Im about to start some new seeds...soaked them in a glass of water, they dropped, just moved them to a paper towel between plates and then was going to put the germinated seeds into rapid rooters, place them in a humidity dome, soak the RR's with some pH'd water, place some standing water in the bottom of the dome tray and put the dome on a heating pad. What are your thoughts on that method? When should I add light to the dome? Also, when would you move the rapid rooters and seedlings to the DWC system?

2.) The other plant I have growing in my tent is growing great. Seems as though shes been drinking a bit as the water level is going down. When I add more water to my res between changes, should I just be adding pH'd distilled water or adding water with nutes in it as well?

Appreciate any insights!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I would not leave water in the bottom of the tray. 80f is ideal for seedlings so if the heat pad does this it should be fine. I would just mist the dome instead of spray the plants. I use a 20watt led about 12" above for my seedlings/clones. No nutrients for seedlings they carry some in the seed for germination and early growth. I just use tap water it has plenty of nutrients for seedlings. Wait for roots to show before moving to DWC.

I run a RDWC system but in early stages you can probably just too up with RO. Later on when they start eating more you should mix nutrients and ph your add backs. Steering the solution where you want it. So it may be slightly weaker if you are having ppm go up and slightly stronger if you are having ppm go down. Once you add back the volume of your res then next add back should be a complete res change.

Are you doing autos or photos?

A

abernot

I would not leave water in the bottom of the tray. 80f is ideal for seedlings so if the heat pad does this it should be fine. I would just mist the dome instead of spray the plants. I use a 20watt led about 12" above for my seedlings/clones. No nutrients for seedlings they carry some in the seed for germination and early growth. I just use tap water it has plenty of nutrients for seedlings. Wait for roots to show before moving to DWC.

I run a RDWC system but in early stages you can probably just too up with RO. Later on when they start eating more you should mix nutrients and ph your add backs. Steering the solution where you want it. So it may be slightly weaker if you are having ppm go up and slightly stronger if you are having ppm go down. Once you add back the volume of your res then next add back should be a complete res change.

Are you doing autos or photos?

Thanks again for all of the good info regarding the germination process, I'll let you know how it goes!

I am growing autos this time around and running them on a 24 hr light schedule. Perhaps being in a high temperature area I should give them a 4-6 hour break midday when temps are highest?

Even after washing the roots and changing out my res yesterday, I noticed more slime on my roots today. Perhaps this could be a water temp issue? My water temps have been fluctuating between 73° - 79°

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thanks again for all of the good info regarding the germination process, I'll let you know how it goes!

I am growing autos this time around and running them on a 24 hr light schedule. Perhaps being in a high temperature area I should give them a 4-6 hour break midday when temps are highest?

Even after washing the roots and changing out my res yesterday, I noticed more slime on my roots today. Perhaps this could be a water temp issue? My water temps have been fluctuating between 73° - 79°
Temps are high. That just means it's will reproduce fast... It won't cause it but getting temps down to 68-70 will help. Rinse and repeat daily. Use ph'ed tap water in seperate container to rinse roots. The put back in and carry on until it clears up. Can add hydrogaurd to the res and top feed 1 cup nutes a day for the next week then stop. Can also top feed hydrogaurd mixed with distilled water from the top at 1 cup a week until it clears.

Btw it is root rot and there are no guarantees but I am very confident you can beat it.

A

abernot

Temps are high. That just means it's will reproduce fast... It won't cause it but getting temps down to 68-70 will help. Rinse and repeat daily. Use ph'ed tap water in seperate container to rinse roots. The put back in and carry on until it clears up. Can add hydrogaurd to the res and top feed 1 cup nutes a day for the next week then stop. Can also top feed hydrogaurd mixed with distilled water from the top at 1 cup a week until it clears.

Btw it is root rot and there are no guarantees but I am very confident you can beat it.

Any thoughts on adjusting the lighting schedule to help reduce heat during hottest times of the day? Or should I leave the lights on 24 hours for autos?

Top Bottom