LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

I think it would be best to take a risk with one room and really tell you what the difference is after 3 to 4 months at least with my conditions and plant environment. I will cover the same square meters with less LED light and we will see what the end result will be. I know from experience that my room with 8 hps x 600 watts located on 10 squares produces a gram of 0.8 watts in the worst case in 3 and a half months I will replace them with LED and after 4 months I will write you the exact results and differences in energy yields and so on
Sweet. Which LEDs you going to run?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think it would be best to take a risk with one room and really tell you what the difference is after 3 to 4 months at least with my conditions and plant environment. I will cover the same square meters with less LED light and we will see what the end result will be. I know from experience that my room with 8 hps x 600 watts located on 10 squares produces a gram of 0.8 watts in the worst case in 3 and a half months I will replace them with LED and after 4 months I will write you the exact results and differences in energy yields and so on
Thats a responsible way to go about it. Light may seem like light but it's not.

My biggest word of caution ⚠️ absolutely, unequivocally not sure I have seen a single person that had made the change from HID to LED without initially giving enough light to stunt and cause early issues in the plants. Maybe sshz? But I think he was over doing it also for the first while too and took a bit to settle in on how powerful LED are in comparison.

Get yourself a $20 infrared thermometer and stop all the guess work. Ota plant temos that matter and they vary ALOT when comparing HID to LED. NO Co2 shoot for 75-77f with co2 up to 80f. Thise are leaf temps not air temps. If ya need 85f air temos to get those leaf temos then so be it. It all depends on the other factors like root temps, VPD, wind etc.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I've looked at making the switch for awhile but honestly I'm not sold on LED's yet, and honestly some of that is from not having practical experience using LED's. Here is some of the things I looked at, comparing LED's to HPS single ended bulbs there is going to be much bigger difference then comparing LED's to DE HPS, I will bet as far as yield and quality goes DE and LED's are more on par with each other.

Growth rates, going by some of the grows I seen, and ones I seen on here (SSHZ) I believe DE HPS easily win's. From what I seen and understand, LED's could easily add a couple weeks to veg time and even add time to flower. basically making the power bill not so unbalanced.

And then price of fixtures, My PL-light DE's are about 550 each, and after testing a bunch I think there one of the best out there. A Gavita LED light up here is like 2K+. I know there is cheaper but do they really compare to the Gavita's?

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

First question is how many 1k DEs are you replacing. Around these parts every pole-barn has 20-50 going. And we call those mom and pop shops lol. So if you have an array of dozens than I’d stick with DEs up high for now. But if you’re a tent grower LEDs only way to go. Be sure Samsung LM 301s and Meanwell drivers. Look for reds, IR and UV added. SpiderFarmers new bar style solid.
However I bought a whole bunch of board style w above mentioned components minus the UV but I have some “older” triple chip LEDs with UV to supplement.
I went from all HPS to 50/50 to all LED last grow. Definitely less kW used. I did get a bigger yield in the same square footage than past grows but don’t attribute to the lights just yet as other factors may be involved. So there’s grams/area and grams/$ electric. The latter is definitely true while the former yet undetermined. Then there’s the heat issue. So fir tent growers it’s a no brainer.

Jaspercane

Jaspercane

с риск да прозвуча глупаво искам да задам следния въпрос. ако имам 2 x 600 вата HPS на 2 квадратни метра и получавам добив от 0,8 / 0,9 на ват, това прави 960 грама общо от количеството консумирана енергия 1200 вата. обаче, ако сложа същите 2 квадрата 1 светодиод 600 вата, тогава моята мощност за тези 2 квадрата ще бъде 1,6 / 1,8 на ват LED??
Да, светодиод мощностью 600 Вт заменит ваш HPS мощностью 1000 Вт с большей производительностью, при этом продолговечный и экономя электроэнергию. И дать меньше проблем с теплом.

GrowUp777

GrowUp777

Да, мощността на светодиода 600 Vt замени вашата HPS мощност 1000 Vt с по-голяма производителност, при това продължителна и икономична електроенергия. И давам по-малко проблем с топлината.
that interested me. so my electricity bill will drop both from cooling and from the power of the lights and I will have almost the same yield

detroitjoe

detroitjoe

But this is how it should be calculated.... grams per kilowatt hr. Otherwise you get some dude veggies for 8 months and claiming he is getting 4gpw under HID.
hahhaahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

LED is the best way. now if your getting into test results terp levels and thc content levels then you can pay attention to all that science with verging with LED and then flowering with HPS. I think it's more of a debate based on what media you're growing with.

MedicalOnly

MedicalOnly

First question is how many 1k DEs are you replacing. Around these parts every pole-barn has 20-50 going. And we call those mom and pop shops lol. So if you have an array of dozens than I’d stick with DEs up high for now. But if you’re a tent grower LEDs only way to go. Be sure Samsung LM 301s and Meanwell drivers. Look for reds, IR and UV added. SpiderFarmers new bar style solid.
However I bought a whole bunch of board style w above mentioned components minus the UV but I have some “older” triple chip LEDs with UV to supplement.
I went from all HPS to 50/50 to all LED last grow. Definitely less kW used. I did get a bigger yield in the same square footage than past grows but don’t attribute to the lights just yet as other factors may be involved. So there’s grams/area and grams/$ electric. The latter is definitely true while the former yet undetermined. Then there’s the heat issue. So fir tent growers it’s a no brainer.
Led uv is uva and not that desirable. Uvb is what you want and thats best supplied by florescents. Migros bulb is 75% uvb and 25% uva. The best led to get is one with a adjustable color spectrum without uv like the scynce raging kush and pair it with migros florescent uv light. Uv only towards the end since it will slow growth. Having said that, dutch passion is getting over
25/30% thc-cannabinoids using non adjustable leds without supplementing any uv light. Thats with autoflowers. Genetics are key.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

that interested me. so my electricity bill will drop both from cooling and from the power of the lights and I will have almost the same yield
Yes because you can replace a 1000k HPS with 600-700 watts of quality LED for the same area.

PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Led uv is uva and not that desirable. Uvb is what you want and thats best supplied by florescents. Migros bulb is 75% uvb and 25% uva. The best led to get is one with a adjustable color spectrum without uv like the scynce raging kush and pair it with migros florescent uv light. Uv only towards the end since it will slow growth. Having said that, dutch passion is getting over
25/30% thc-cannabinoids using non adjustable leds without supplementing any uv light. Thats with autoflowers. Genetics are key.
Good to know because I getting some Agromax pure UV bulbs. How many 4’ units would you install in a 10x8 area? And how high and how often to cycle? Heard not to keep on same timers.

MedicalOnly

MedicalOnly

Good to know because I getting some Agromax pure UV bulbs. How many 4’ units would you install in a 10x8 area? And how high and how often to cycle? Heard not to keep on same timers.

Probably 3ea. at about 2' from canopy. Working up to 2hours a day max, toward the end of flower.

grnmtn

grnmtn

growsince79

growsince79

Another reason why adjustable spectrum is best is you can give whats called "blue light therapy" the last 2-3 days of flower and increase terpenes.
I have a hard time believing anyone who tells me LEDs and Autoflowers increase quality. That article is 90% fake news and marketing BS.

Top Bottom