LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
If I had a totally sealed, Co2 enriched, moderately sized room for commercial production purposes, and I had the capital to invest, I'd use LED simply for the fact that you can achieve light levels in the 14-1500 ppfd range at the canopy without cooking the plants from the heat coming off the lights, like you would being that close to a DEHPS. You could fully optimize growth a lot easier and drive production levels through the roof.

I know a few people running mixed LED and DEHPS right now, and I think the biggest thing holding them back from switching to full high watt LED is price. It's a barrier to entry. Especially with pot prices as bad as they are these days.

Then you've got these guys in Kelowna.. 🤣

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

everything in existance needs space. so that comment is void

wrong.
an amateur can yield 3 grams while an experienced cultivator can yield 2 ounces in the same space.

Its how you use the space is what counts
I think you missed my point. What's the max grams that can be grown in a 2 x 4 x 6 without co2?

Ponky

Ponky

If I had a totally sealed, Co2 enriched, moderately sized room for commercial production purposes, and I had the capital to invest, I'd use LED simply for the fact that you can achieve light levels in the 14-1500 ppfd range at the canopy without cooking the plants from the heat coming off the lights, like you would being that close to a DEHPS. You could fully optimize growth a lot easier and drive production levels through the roof.

I know a few people running mixed LED and DEHPS right now, and I think the biggest thing holding them back from switching to full high watt LED is price. It's a barrier to entry. Especially with pot prices as bad as they are these days.

Kelowna outdoor? All is see is labor costs and no profit. Who wants hundreds of outdoors? What are you going to get? 5 cents a gram?

growsince79

growsince79

Kelowna outdoor? All is see is labor costs and no profit. Who wants hundreds of outdoors? What are you going to get? 5 cents a gram?
You profit by going public and getting investors to buy stock in your soon to be profitable company. As CEO, you earn 500k/year +. You milk it as long as you can and then file bankruptcy.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

I know the area well and I wanted to see if I could locate it on the map. The only place I can see where it maybe is located closer to the Border... Rock Creek There are a couple of likely suspects on the satellite map a 60 acre farm is hard to hide. The definition isn't good enough for me to be able to identify it but some sleuthing it could be found..........

.Way too old and far away for a midnight raid now but there was a time when we would have done some scouting anyways...it looks like its not far from a recreational area...lol ah there was a time when that would have been a lot of fun. just scouting it out, not sure we'd of had the balls to go through with an op like that.

lbezy

lbezy

al so
What???
Thank you, this led thing has been bothering me all night since I woke up I'm going to do two rooms but I'm not going to buy 40 LEDs until I know they work by putting 4 in small room plants same way on my schedule with my cuts and if they're going to save me that much money in air conditioning f*** I'm going to buy them it's expensive to start a commercial grow. I'm going from a caregiver with over 100 plant count between all my patients. To the commercial world where everyone you deal with they just wants a percentage, the love is gone . Without being respect to everybody running 10 nights and running two lights is night and day.... I would not buy double ended until I saw them produce more than my raptors did I guess I should be from Kansas City cuz you got to show me

lbezy

lbezy

al so
What???
Thank you, this led thing has been bothering me all night since I woke up I'm going to do two rooms but I'm not going to buy 40 LEDs until I know they work by putting 4 in small room plants same way on my schedule with my cuts and if they're going to save me that much money in air conditioning f*** I'm going to buy them it's expensive to start a commercial grow. I'm going from a caregiver with over 100 plant count between all my patients. To the commercial world where everyone you deal with they just wants a percentage, the love is gone . Without being respect to everybody running 10 nights and running two lights is night and day.... I would not buy double ended until I saw them produce more than my raptors did I guess I should be from Kansas City cuz you got to show me
Sorry , I meant to say running 2 lights vs. 10 is night and day I can't afford to make a decision based on some pictures of Bud that looked okay but I actually have to take it to the dispensary and sell it to them so I do that by bringing the fire in there.. I have to achieve 2 lbs per light.

lbezy

lbezy

I need to know how much humidity is going to get burnt off by saving All that cooling because the HPS is keep my humidity down , obviously. . I'm going to do some more research. Go help somebody that doesn't know everything.
Thanks guys .

lbezy

lbezy

The final will be 2 flower rooms with 20 DE at first in each . No I'm at my Max 40 lights. I can't make a comparison from a two light girl to a 40 light girl I have to see them work

growsince79

growsince79

I need to know how much humidity is going to get burnt off by saving All that cooling because the HPS is keep my humidity down , obviously. . I'm going to do some more research. Go help somebody that doesn't know everything.
Thanks guys .
What?

lbezy

lbezy

I was just saying you seem to understand my problem , I grow in # 5 pots in Coco in 4x8 trays hps vs. led in commercial application I've seen one 20 light commercial grow using top of the leds and it was built Nice their yeild sucked . Was probably the grower but I need to try em before I commit to spending the money on them .

lbezy

lbezy

Please 🙏 I respect experience . I'm coming from a state where I had patience and plant counts and had 20 k in 1000 watt HPS to, now go in to warehouse
And running 40 lights I've never dialed in an LED room , how much heat am I going to gain by not using bulbs that burn at 500° at the bulb and 70° at the plant. It's easy to keep my room at 50% humidity with HPS .I use one ideal air humidifier.for 10 lights ,in my experience. I was frustrated with this and going to help some kid whose plants look awful . Your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated as to changes I need to make .
Thanks
I was just saying you seem to understand my problem , I grow in # 5 pots in Coco in 4x8 trays hps vs. led in commercial application I've seen one 20 light commercial grow using top of the leds and it was built Nice their yeild sucked . Was probably the grower but I need to try em before I commit to spending the money on them .
Also humidity changes from the light change . ECT.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

The final will be 2 flower rooms with 20 DE at first in each . No I'm at my Max 40 lights. I can't make a comparison from a two light girl to a 40 light girl I have to see them work
You need to get plant temos to 75-77f follow VPD... but follow true VPD taking leaf temp into account indica hugher end of good range and sative lower end.

Have a coco thread you may want to look at also but that's up to you.

Plant temps are extremely important and highly influenced by light source.

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

My yield is .68 Gram herb per wall watt pull NOT Led light advertised rating
(I run 300 W Led blurples that only pull 132 W each).
7 lights & 3- 6” fans, sometimes one carbon filter… average about $132 electric per 75-80 day Autoflower grow…
MO. licensed cultivator
And I ain’t changing nothing…!

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Please 🙏 I respect experience . I'm coming from a state where I had patience and plant counts and had 20 k in 1000 watt HPS to, now go in to warehouse
And running 40 lights I've never dialed in an LED room , how much heat am I going to gain by not using bulbs that burn at 500° at the bulb and 70° at the plant. It's easy to keep my room at 50% humidity with HPS .I use one ideal air humidifier.for 10 lights ,in my experience. I was frustrated with this and going to help some kid whose plants look awful . Your knowledge and experience would be greatly appreciated as to changes I need to make .
Thanks

Also humidity changes from the light change . ECT.

If you actually do a couple test rooms comparing HPS to LED, I 'd be curious to see how the growth rates compare. I think you said you do 5.5 grows a year, see how that works out with LED's. the test I'd like to see is 2 rooms one setup of 1000w DE hps one setup 650 ish watts of led's , start the clones at the same time, veg the same length , flip at the same time and then at day 63 of flower compare your plants for size, amount of buds, bud size, density, terp, thc etc, I mean send it for testing, so you know the numbers side by side. and then see how they both compare to each other over the exact same amount of time. I would also do the test with a 1000w hps vs 1000w led and then compare as well.

growsince79

growsince79

If you actually do a couple test rooms comparing HPS to LED, I 'd be curious to see how the growth rates compare. I think you said you do 5.5 grows a year, see how that works out with LED's. the test I'd like to see is 2 rooms one setup of 1000w DE hps one setup 650 ish watts of led's , start the clones at the same time, veg the same length , flip at the same time and then at day 63 of flower compare your plants for size, amount of buds, bud size, density, terp, thc etc, I mean send it for testing, so you know the numbers side by side. and then see how they both compare to each other over the exact same amount of time. I would also do the test with a 1000w hps vs 1000w led and then compare as well.
That would be a flawed comparison imo. Lets say on day 63 the hps clones are done and the led clones still have a week to go.

Top Bottom