LED lights need help or direction on what to buy

• Thread starter B0ssD0ss
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hands On

Hands On

Have a link you could share. Not sure if I am looking at the right light or not.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If I was going kingbrite thats what i would run. The added IR without UV but paid the extra for osam red diodes instead of the epistar

Last edited:
CF89

CF89

so when they say 240w, thats actual wall draw? so the equivalent of a 1000W amazon china light that draws 250ish watts?

does kindbrite make anything bigger and more badass? id hate to have to order 3 of those.

epistar is known to be junk. Cree is where it was at a year or two ago.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

so when they say 240w, thats actual wall draw? so the equivalent of a 1000W amazon china light that draws 250ish watts?

does kindbrite make anything bigger and more badass? id hate to have to order 3 of those.

epistar is known to be junk. Cree is where it was at a year or two ago.
Yes they make bigger but more 240w boards means better coverage so its really personal choice. These boards should only be run at 80%. Like almost all leds

And yes they actually provide the actual watts.

The epistar in that linked light are only the red diodes. The white diodes are samsung. These are again budget lights but i would say they are the top of budget lights. I would recommend HLG, gavita, fluence if you can afford them.

Last edited:
Hands On

Hands On

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I'm partial to California Lightworks. Made in USA and loaded up with Osram diodes with a 3 channel spectrum and power controller.
Frowned upon for being blurple and expensive, loved by growers and smokers for the quality and potency they produce.
Very steep investment and definitely not for every budget but there are sales here and there. Patience helped me. No way I could afford $2000 in CLW lighting up front but over time, saving, and watching sales, that $2000 ended up being $1400 and they've more than paid for themselves in the crops they've produced ✌

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I guess the fact that CLW and HLG have third party tested PAR and pfdd and shenzen lights charts are simply made up (and their diodes are likely counterfeit) i can rest assured the budget light would lose measurably.
I've seen my lights pitted against HLG, Fluence and a local COB builder at our local shop. What I got from it was HLG and Fluence had more coverage area per watt and results were about on par with HPS results, just way more efficient. The CLW however does something to plants. More biomass, more roots, and more essential oils. COB was like using HPS but with half the watts and just as much heat.
I'd put it like this...if I was a commercial grower in a large open space, Fluence would probably be my choice and if extracts were my goal which they are, it's CLW.
Then there's personal preference on light size which I prefer a smaller fixture and using a mover to spread coverage rather than a large fixture being either a board or rails to cover my 3'x10' footprint. I also grow various sized plants with no concern about an even canopy so 2-3 smaller light plays well into that rather than a single large fixture.
Only thing I really dont like about CLW is the need for fans. The more moving parts the more that can break down. But they pack a lot in that little fixture and the heat sinks are the size of bricks and heavy as a cinder block so I get the need for the fans.
Compare to a fan cooled fixture from China it's insane what they're trying to get away with using undersized heat sinks and crappy pc fans with no lifespan

Kevuk

Kevuk

240w kingbrite with lm301h it and uv are the best value light you can buy Imo.

Would be interested to see a side by side against the HLG they have copied.

Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

Bought my daughter this light. Biggest drawback is no dimmer. They just raise or lower the light or plants. Unbeatable at this price. She runs it in a 4’ tent.
Ok nice. Have you tested the ppfd ? It's no where near what they claim right ? It's more a 3.5x3.5 than a 5x6 spread. It's two feet wide and 6 inches off the edge the par drops by 80%. Are other led's better at that. Spreading the light over let's say a 4x4 with whatever the height off the canopy to have 1000 par in the center then about 800 at the edges and then 1 foot out 600. The shzlux 4000 is 1000 middle. 600 edge. Six inches out 200.

Masonsdad15

Masonsdad15

Bought my daughter this light. Biggest drawback is no dimmer. They just raise or lower the light or plants. Unbeatable at this price. She runs it in a 4’ tent.
Also i got stuck with 3 of those things lol. I ordered 1 to test but clicked 3 by stupid accident and noticed a few minutes later. I immediately did the cancel order through Amazon but they didn't get back to me orn3 days. And And they did they claimed they already had shipped it out. OK fine I'll send it back. Nope not ok. It's over 150 bucks to send back lol. So I might as well keep em. Funny thing is they actually refunded my money in advance of me sending them back. So as of right now I have three for free lol. Nah ima tell em if they send me a email anytime soon. Hopefully they forget lol.

Top Bottom