LED RAGE!!

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Anthem

Anthem

I don't need any ac as well and hydro electric power baby. Helping the grid by using power at night. It's gotta go somewhere.
bUNKERKING how do you keep you tent cooled? I believe you mentioned a 600 watt HPS in this thread and from the looks of your posts in BK Pollen Chucking thread you are in a tent. Care to explain? Kind of hard to keep the tent cool without some sort of cooling.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Thanks for the recommendation. I do have time as it’s only first week of true veg. Just want to get the best out of what I have!👍🏻
If you look around, there are COB LEDs that are available for around 5 bucks each that have a driver built in and hook straight up to 110VAC. It works well and is super simple, although you need to find a heatsink if you don't have something.

FourthCity

FourthCity

@FourthCity brought up a couple of interesting points that occurred to me. Actually I have seen a bit of what 1diesel1 initially brought up within the HID world. I've seen commercial growers getting into fights over gavita HPS v phantom HPS. Ditto over nutes. Which brings me to my second point.

Referring to hyped up claims, I haven't seen folks getting upset about the yield claims made by seed breeders. I'm not saying they're bogus, but there should be some fine print about those yields resulting from healthy plants grown in an optimal environment by an experienced grower.

I started reading about growing about two years before I was able to, so luckily I was warned about things like yields and bogus led claims before I got into it. I'm a geek like that, and know most people do minimal if any research before jumping into stuff. I love being part of this community, learning and sharing. I hope that we can continue to do so with kindness and rememberance that we're all different with different wants, budgets, and goals.
The arguments on hid lights have been more about brand loyalty where those over leds are more about proven discrepancies between marketing and the actual product. The difference in the situation we are in now is that some led lights are drastically, quantifiably better than others and the prices don't always scale accordingly.

Breeders yield claims have always seemed pretty reasonable to me, they are usually rated for grams per square meters of plants, not individual plants. My plants usually hit about 75% percent of what the breeder claims when scaled to their individual footprint. Considering the breeders numbers are best case scenario I don't really find them to be dishonest. Some of the responsibility to meet the breeders claims falls on the grower but there is nothing someone can do to make a "1000w" blurple magically produce 1000 real watts.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

If we can all stay calm in this thread, I'm running new king plus cheap Chinese blurples that are so hated lol. I've had good hps before. I'll give honest opinion based on reality. I dont expect much out of them but I'm also willing to be suprised. Improvements made every day on technology so im being risky & trying it

FourthCity

FourthCity

If we can all stay calm in this thread, I'm running new king plus cheap Chinese blurples that are so hated lol. I've had good hps before. I'll give honest opinion based on reality. I dont expect much out of them but I'm also willing to be suprised. Improvements made every day on technology so im being risky & trying it
If you are surprised then it would mean you don't really know what you bought. Im sure your lights will work just fine but there is almost certainly a better option available for whatever amount you spent. Its nothing personal, I don't think any less of you and I don't hate your lights but if/when you are ready for more or new lights I hope that you will take advantage of this forum and educate yourself enough so that whatever light you decide on, you are able to remove the element of surprise.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

If you are surprised then it would mean you don't really know what you bought. Im sure your lights will work just fine but there is almost certainly a better option available for whatever amount you spent. Its nothing personal, I don't think any less of you and I don't hate your lights but if/when you are ready for more or new lights I hope that you will take advantage of this forum and educate yourself enough so that whatever light you decide on, you are able to remove the element of surprise.
Or maybe I will be suprised & like them lol. I actually do like them for veg. But waiting to see trichome & density in flower. Only couple weeks in right now so too early to tell. Or maybe at week 6 I will add more/different lights. Only time will tell on this but at least it's not a lot of time. I'll build my own if this doesnt work to my satisfaction, will never have power here to run hps so I have no choice but to find leds that work for my needs

IndicanDude

IndicanDude

Since this is an LED thread 🤣 recommendations for a couple supplemental COB light, roughly 75-100w each reasonably priced DIY kits? Trying to add some supp lighting before flowering. Thanks.
Burnz

That's what I got LED's for. Bought some cob chips and a driver. Had spare cpu cooling fans. Mounted on some inexpensive rail. Output for the price is outstanding. And my backyard patio grow now goes into flower when I'm ready, not when nature dictates. I read up on it first, and I determine wattage by draw at the outlet. That being said, I'm not prepared to get in a pissing match with anyone. Whatever works, no?

BurnzYzBudZz

BurnzYzBudZz

HOWCan.i.helPYOU?
Supporter
That's what I got LED's for. Bought some cob chips and a driver. Had spare cpu cooling fans. Mounted on some inexpensive rail. Output for the price is outstanding. And my backyard patio grow now goes into flower when I'm ready, not when nature dictates. I read up on it first, and I determine wattage by draw at the outlet. That being said, I'm not prepared to get in a pissing match with anyone. Whatever works, no?
No pissing match here just asking for some recommendations. Thanks!

Anthem

Anthem

No pissing match here just asking for some recommendations. Thanks!
I am sure I am part of the pissing match. I just get frustrated when someone makes a claim that they do not have the facts. What the last few posts on this thread have stated is 100 percent true.

DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

Wasn't it you with rosin thread? Getting press in semi near future. Can I ask you for advice on making later?

Terpz719

Terpz719

The arguments on hid lights have been more about brand loyalty where those over leds are more about proven discrepancies between marketing and the actual product. The difference in the situation we are in now is that some led lights are drastically, quantifiably better than others and the prices don't always scale accordingly.

Breeders yield claims have always seemed pretty reasonable to me, they are usually rated for grams per square meters of plants, not individual plants. My plants usually hit about 75% percent of what the breeder claims when scaled to their individual footprint. Considering the breeders numbers are best case scenario I don't really find them to be dishonest. Some of the responsibility to meet the breeders claims falls on the grower but there is nothing someone can do to make a "1000w" blurple magically produce 1000 real watts.
1diesel1 started this with "LED growers constantly get in pissing matches over who’s light is better.", which sure sounds like brand loyalty to me. I took the issue to be more about that and human behavior. Why the hostility? What's the deal?

That was exactly my point about breeder yields - they are based on a best case scenario. It's the best case part that isn't obvious to new growers, yet folks don't seem to get upset by that. I just found it interesting.

I don't think anyone participating in this thread thinks 100 true watts will yield like 1,000 true watts.

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
One thing for sure, big yeilds take practice and experience.
And $'s to get there.
If I was a new grower the options would be mind boggling.
For now my new Kingbrites kick.
But I'm not selling my HID equipment any time soon.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

With some practice i was able to surpass the reported yields the breeder claimed i was using. He ended up doing a yield run to compete with me.

Seed claims and led claims are not similar. The seed claims are usually reachable but a watt is a watt. Not its imagined equivelent.

That said anyone shopping for lighting should at least know the basics. Growing is a technical hobby. Ignorance is no excuse.

But i dont think just anyone is suited to grow either.

Moshmen

Moshmen

One thing for sure, big yeilds take practice and experience.
And $'s to get there.
If I was a new grower the options would be mind boggling.
For now my new Kingbrites kick.
But I'm not selling my HID equipment any time soon.
New indoor grower, no light change and seems every grow gets bigger and better. Although I do need anther light and it will be a off brand hlg copie for sure, prolly the kingbrite as well !

So glad I found this farm ! Thank s to many who have helped !

Top Bottom