Led To Replace 400w Hps In Parabola?

• Thread starter Horto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sixstring

sixstring

i would go with 9 x 3590 cree cob run off meanwell 1050ma driver .minimal heat,maximum photons :cool:

Horto

Horto

yes flowering ,best pic i have that shows distance from cob to cola.thats a 18inch wall fan
View attachment 641225

That is a Large distance. Makes you re-think problem heat is said to pose for HPS.
20cm is the minimum distance from HPS to prevent Bleaching, but I will drop the parabola/bulb down to 10cm to mature heads. The damage is overshadowed by return as long as the damage is not to early.

I grow a selected Skunk with strong wide branches and large flowers. it produces 4 ounces and grows like a vase, as compared to the typical pine shape which produces 2 ounces at the same height.

I yield 12 ounces from 4 plants very easily, and up to 16 ounces with a little training of branches.

Last edited:
sixstring

sixstring

if you run at 80 w you wont be able to keep them as close as i do without seeing some bleaching i would guess 24in + for that kind of power

sixstring

sixstring

That is a Large distance. Makes you re-think problem heat is said to pose for HPS.
20cm is the minimum distance from HPS to prevent Bleaching, but I will drop the parabola down to 10cm to mature heads. The damage is overshadowed by return as long as the damage is not to early
yeah i thought the same thing running 600w hps at 6 to 8 inches on a mover ,then i got some gavitas and run them at 30in up and 700w and plants are much happier.then i go to 35w cobs at 24in and plants have never been so happy.so happy i had to learn new feeds from all the nutes my plants wanted now that they are happy and healthy.sure you can run a 400w at 12 inches,dont mean its the best method,see my point?

sixstring

sixstring

Happy lil la con under 35w cree mixed spectrum 3500k and 3000k.one light per 11 inches.week 4
20161010 193826
20161010 193726 1lac wk4

Horto

Horto

i would go with 9 x 3590 cree cob run off meanwell 1050ma driver .minimal heat,maximum photons :cool:

Investigating your suggestion.

I wish to invest a Total of 320watts.
Looking for an efficient drive for 9x 3590 @ 72 Volts.

?

Horto

Horto

Have changed my mind several times during this processes.
LED's could replace my HPS parabola, but I do not personally see a big enough gain right now.

I have liked your thinking because it makes sense.
If I start with 9 x 3590 cree cob run off meanwell 1050ma driver, the system is going to be efficient in working light per watt. I can use the system to maintain clones and experiment in regards to flowering.

Do you have a shopping list for your project to share?
Did you use 72 volt COB's, what drivers are used?

Thanks

sixstring

sixstring

Have changed my mind several times during this processes.
LED's could replace my HPS parabola, but I do not personally see a big enough gain right now.

I have liked your thinking because it makes sense.
If I start with 9 x 3590 cree cob run off meanwell 1050ma driver, the system is going to be efficient in working light per watt. I can use the system to maintain clones and experiment in regards to flowering.

Do you have a shopping list for your project to share?
Did you use 72 volt COB's, what drivers are used?

Thanks
im using both 36v and 72 v in different areas of my flower room.both are being run off the same mw 1050ma drivers so the 36v are doing about 35w each and the 72v are closer to 75w each so spacing on those 72v can be further apart like 18 inches.so far i like the 36v setups better.if your looking to piece this project together yourself i would look to kingbrite on alibaba,he has all parts needed incuding drivers and heatsinks.or for kits ready to assemble on your frame look at timbergrowlights.com those kits are easy to put together and priced very reasonable for what you get.
but you def dont need 75w cobs for vegging plants,these are flower setups im talking about.20w per sq ft is more than enough cob power for veg

Horto

Horto

using both 36v and 72 v in different areas of my flower room.both are being run off the same mw 1050ma drivers so the 36v are doing about 35w each and the 72v are closer to 75w each
Looking at a self build from scratch!
What specific driver are you using to run the 9x 36v COB, and how many 72v COB do you run on this same driver?
Anybody buying from Kingbrite paying by bank transfer, keen to hear feedback.

sixstring

sixstring

Looking at a self build from scratch!
What specific driver are you using to run the 9x 36v COB, and how many 72v COB do you run on this same driver?
Anybody buying from Kingbrite paying by bank transfer, keen to hear feedback.

for my 36v setups i run 5 x 3590 off the hlg-185h-c1050b
for the 72v setups i run just 2 x 3590 off the same driver.
if you move up to the hlg-240h-c1050b you can run 7 x 36v 3590 or just 3 of the 72v chips.

as for dealing with jerry @ kingbrite,ask @REALSTYLES how he likes to pay for stuff.matter of fact he might have what you need already. i know alot of people have bought stuff through kingbrite and i never hear anything bad about the money side,just that sometimes it can take some time to get here from china depending on what you choose for shipping method.

Horto

Horto

for my 36v setups i run 5 x 3590 off the hlg-185h-c1050b
for the 72v setups i run just 2 x 3590 off the same driver.
if you move up to the hlg-240h-c1050b you can run 7 x 36v 3590 or just 3 of the 72v chips.

The data sheet for hlg-185h-c1050b lists a single output.
Just to confirm, this means you are connecting the 5 COB's in parallel to the single output?

I have a few different plans for this equipment, including general lighting in an off-grid shed.
How far could you run the 72v COB from Driver using well overrated cable?
What would you use in Male/female cable plugs for quickly changing COB's?

I have a few other questions if you can help, just wanted to go through things systematically so I can ask the right questions!

Thanks.

sixstring

sixstring

The data sheet for hlg-185h-c1050b lists a single output.
Just to confirm, this means you are connecting the 5 COB's in parallel to the single output?

I have a few different plans for this equipment, including general lighting in an off-grid shed.
How far could you run the 72v COB from Driver using well overrated cable?
What would you use in Male/female cable plugs for quickly changing COB's?

I have a few other questions if you can help, just wanted to go through things systematically so I can ask the right questions!

Thanks.
first question is no,not parallel wiring.i use series wiring with those drivers.mw does make dif style drivers that others use for parallel wiring i just dont like that method personally.
second Q to cable length,i have mine at 10 and 12 feet from driver to first cob using 14 ga wire.i have seen a few setups where guys ran 10 -20 drivers in a seperate room and some leads appear to be 30+ feet.if you thik like hps where they advertise ballast being able to fire 1000w hps up to 65 feet away it makes sense we should be able to use similar lengths as long as the cable is of good rating because there is not any extra power needed to start cobs like hps needs.
as for your 3rd question,idk why you would want to change cobs using quick connects and do not know of anything like that. i use these ideal cob holders and i guess if i wanted to change cobs i could do it fairly easy with these.

Horto

Horto

i use series wiring with those drivers.mw does make dif style drivers that others use for parallel wiring i just dont like that method personally.

Running in series has the advantage of disconnection with most faults, rather then overloading remain COB's in a parallel arrangement.

I'm not familiar with these types of power supply.
So the current increases with a lower fwd voltage of COB's, still trying to understand this?
HLG-185H-C1050B 95 V to 190 V.
5x 36v = 180v
2x 72v = 144v

The cable length answer is as I would expect, just double checking to making sure not to miss something.

Now you have explained the series wiring arrangement the question of quick disconnect is not relevant.
If the COB's were connected Parallel I was thinking to run 2 rails from the driver output to screw COB leads down.

-
The idea of disconnecting COB's was to test separate COB's mounted on the ceiling of an off-grid shed.
The original idea was to run LED's from 12 or 24v DC which is still the preferred option, still have a lot of research required. Have not started looking at DC voltage options yet, had a lot to do.

Thanks.

sixstring

sixstring

With this type driver you just need to make sure your cob voltage falls between those numbers of 95v and 190v so you added the 36 and 72v correct. But the current will always remain 1050ma because its a cc (constant current ) driver. So in this example it runs 3 to 5 cobs @36v or just 2 @72v.
But.... if you run 36v cobs they will be putting out about 35w each because 1050ma x 35v (cobs are rated 36v @2800ma) so the math is 35v x 1.050=35.05w
And if you use 72v cobs on that same driver it will be much higher watts per cob.something like this.72v x 1.05 =72w per cob. So in this case your not maxing out the driver.
If you take the time to watch the growmau5 videos on YouTube part 1 thru 5 or 6 he goes through all the dif scenarios in much better detail then i could ever explain lol

Horto

Horto

With this type driver you just need to make sure your cob voltage falls between those numbers of 95v and 190v so you added the 36 and 72v correct. But the current will always remain 1050ma because its a cc (constant current ) driver. So in this example it runs 3 to 5 cobs @36v or just 2 @72v.
But.... if you run 36v cobs they will be putting out about 35w each because 1050ma x 35v (cobs are rated 36v @2800ma) so the math is 35v x 1.050=35.05w
And if you use 72v cobs on that same driver it will be much higher watts per cob.something like this.72v x 1.05 =72w per cob. So in this case your not maxing out the driver.
If you take the time to watch the growmau5 videos on YouTube part 1 thru 5 or 6 he goes through all the dif scenarios in much better detail then i could ever explain lol

Gotcha :)

I might be able to get the Youtube movies downloaded to watch.

Meanwhile there is a very interesting Cree design in this post:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...reenhouse-lighting-led-vs-hid-fixtures.84830/

Welcome your ideas.

Horto

sixstring

sixstring

Gotcha :)

I might be able to get the Youtube movies downloaded to watch.

Meanwhile there is a very interesting Cree design in this post:
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community...reenhouse-lighting-led-vs-hid-fixtures.84830/

Welcome your ideas.

Horto
i dont really have an opinion on those leds.it would appear to be taking a step backwards in tech using smaller diode clusters like they suggest in the article.there are tons of commercial panels already availible using this tech at very cheap prices on amazon ect.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I disagree that it is old tech. In my opinion COBs are great because you can build a cheap light without the need for a circuit board but you will not achieve an even ppf and ppfd with COB alone. You can spread the wattage out with single chips and diffuse the heat on your sink and have an even canopy of light that plants can utilize instead of having 100 .5w chips all in one spot.
3w and 5w have enough output to power evenly and give useful light through the canopy and Cree agrees considering they don't even market their COBs for horticultural use.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom