Let's Do It Again!!! 2nd Hydro Grow

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I enjoyed my 1st grow so much (now in it's 8th week) that i have decided to do it again. However i will first need to make some changes to my gear so that i don't have to work so hard.

Let me start by describing my setup. I don't sell any of this stuff nor do i receive any assistance, gifts, etc. It is just the shit i have decided to use after doing a lot of research. I have provided the urls for information only.

The Grow box.
SuperStar 3.0 LED Grow Cabinet-LED Stealth Grow box
Self-watering DWC Hydroponic Bubbler
EcoPlus 793 GPH / 3000 LPH, 18W
Active Aqua AACH25HP Hydroponic Water Chiller Cooling System 1/4HP
Bluelab Guardian Monitor Connect Version
O2 Grow Dissolved Oxygen Emitter 2010 - 10 gallons
Hydro-Logic 31040 300-GPD Stealth-R0300 Reverse Osmosis Filter
Norwesco Horizontal Leg Tank, 35 gal.
Data Logging Dissolved Oxygen Meter
Kind LED K3 Series 2 XL300 LED Grow Light

And so it begins....

View attachment 855700
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 6
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 7
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 8

View attachment 855700
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 13
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 6
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 7

Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 8
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 9
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 5
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 10
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 11
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 12

Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 2
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 3
Lets do it again  2nd hydro grow 4
Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I enjoyed my 1st grow so much (now in it's 8th week) that i have decided to do it again. However i will first need to make some changes to my gear so that i don't have to work so hard.

Let me start by describing my setup. I don't sell any of this stuff nor do i receive any assistance, gifts, etc. It is just the shit i have decided to use after doing a lot of research. I have provided the urls for information only.

The Grow box.

And so it begins....

View attachment 855700View attachment 855701View attachment 855702View attachment 855703
View attachment 855700View attachment 855711View attachment 855701View attachment 855702
View attachment 855703View attachment 855705View attachment 855699View attachment 855706View attachment 855707View attachment 855709
Look at that, can’t wait for your second run!!

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Looks exciting. Glad to see you posting it here

where's the bulkhead drain on that big ass rez?

Do you have experience with the O2G? Im starting my second grow using a O2G 2020

FYI, if you are top feeding every hour you should not need air stones, as the drainback to res will create ample O2, plus the O2G. If anything, you might consider a small lpa pump with venturi on a separate timer to CYA

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Looks exciting. Glad to see you posting it here

where's the bulkhead drain on that big ass rez?

Do you have experience with the O2G? Im starting my second grow using a O2G 2020

FYI, if you are top feeding every hour you should not need air stones, as the drainback to res will create ample O2, plus the O2G. If anything, you might consider a small lpa pump with venturi on a separate timer to CYA

Skipped the bulkhead fitting as it is another possible point of failure (of course when i am not at home). So with 3.75" openings and only using 3 or 4 for plants... i just drop a 190 in one of the holes and pump it out. Only takes about 20 minutes to drain.

This is my third hydro grow period. The first we won't really discuss. :-( tried to do it on the cheap; you know the rest of the story. This is the second w/O2G.

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

The Grow box.

And so it begins....

I guess the best place to start is at the end. The end of the last grow that is....

First major question. What do I use to cleanup this disaster from the first go-round. I am assuming that i would want to come as close to sterile as possible.

Upload 2019 2 9 14 43 39

While i am doing the cleanup/refit. There are some mods i want to make.
1.) put the entire structure on wheels so i can get behind the damn thing.
2.) move the filter canisters to the outside (i'll have to remove & reverse the fans).
3.) add circulation fans under the tub to reduce the condensation that collects on the tub and then drips into the bottom, causing an awful mess and a potential for fungus, etc.
4.) change the pvc water lines to thicker rubber water lines to help with temp loss/gain control.
5.) relocate the air pump outside the cabinet. The vibration from the hose is too loud. The pump itself is suspended. that helped some. However running the airline ty-wraped to the thick rubber water lines (to reduce temp gain/loss of solution) reduces the vibration considerably. I am also going to use rubber airline to further reduce vibration noise (see red rubber airline hose in photo).
6.) going to set the tub on rubber vibration dampeners to help with the water pump vibration xfer.
7.) going to line the entire bottom of cabinet with 1/4 high density rubber as primary vibration dampener.
8.) last but not least, changing the Kind Series 2 xl300 LED for a KInd Series 2 xl450 LED grow light. The lights are mounted with four 140lb pull magnets (so that i don't have to drill hole in cabinet.
9.) purchased an additional circulation fan and another pair of magnets from which to hang both.

10.) I need to do something with the T-'s but they need to be movable... hhhuuummmm

Upload 2019 2 9 14 58 7
Upload 2019 2 9 14 58 22

Time to get busy.... will post updates...

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I guess the best place to start is at the end. The end of the last grow that is....
. .
2.) move the filter canisters to the outside (i'll have to remove & reverse the fans).
3.) add circulation fans under the tub to reduce the condensation that collects on the tub and then drips into the bottom, causing an awful mess and a potential for fungus, etc.
4.) change the pvc water lines to thicker rubber water lines to help with temp loss/gain control.
5.) relocate the air pump outside the cabinet. The vibration from the hose is too loud. The pump itself is suspended. that helped some. However running the airline ty-wraped to the thick rubber water lines (to reduce temp gain/loss of solution) reduces the vibration considerably. I am also going to use rubber airline to further reduce vibration noise (see red rubber airline hose in photo).
6.) going to set the tub on rubber vibration dampeners to help with the water pump vibration xfer.
7.) going to line the entire bottom of cabinet with 1/4 high density rubber as primary vibration dampener.
8.) last but not least, changing the Kind Series 2 xl300 LED for a KInd Series 2 xl450 LED grow light. The lights are mounted with four 140lb pull magnets (so that i don't have to drill hole in cabinet.
9.) purchased an additional circulation fan and another pair of magnets from which to hang both.

10.) I need to do something with the T-'s but they need to be movable... hhhuuummmm

View attachment 855893View attachment 855894

Upload 2019 2 9 19 4 40
Upload 2019 2 9 19 4 59
Upload 2019 2 9 19 5 19
Upload 2019 2 9 19 5 40

Upload 2019 2 9 19 5 57

Upload 2019 2 9 19 6 31
Upload 2019 2 9 19 6 47

I like the cleanup look of the interior. Lots more room.

Upload 2019 2 9 19 7 7
Upload 2019 2 9 19 7 29

Upload 2019 2 9 19 15 38

Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
1.) ... 2.) move the filter canisters to the outside (i'll have to remove & reverse the fans).
I like the cleanup look of the interior. Lots more room.

The relocation of the filters did not provide the air flow and temp reduction I was expecting. I had to purchase a couple of additional exterior blowers to assist. Now maintaining temp. and humidity are not an issue. Still waiting on the straight pipe from Amazon to connect the other filter.

Upload 2019 2 21 18 57 57

The cleaned up cabinet is looking much nice and easier to work with. The picture below show the tote in the middle of being cleaned between grow cycles.
Upload 2019 2 21 19 0 13

The electrical system/wiring was also cleaned up.
Upload 2019 2 21 19 1 58

The next step is to get back home tomorrow and start rinsing out the tote & system followed by preparing to receive the sprouts that i will set to germination on Sunday. I will be germinating 4 in hopes that I get three top pop. I have lost one during each of the other two germinations.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
The relocation of the filters did not provide the air flow and temp reduction I was expecting. I had to purchase a couple of additional exterior blowers to assist. Now maintaining temp. and humidity are not an issue. Still waiting on the straight pipe from Amazon to connect the other filter.

View attachment 857845

The cleaned up cabinet is looking much nice and easier to work with. The picture below show the tote in the middle of being cleaned between grow cycles.
View attachment 857846

The electrical system/wiring was also cleaned up.
View attachment 857847

The next step is to get back home tomorrow and start rinsing out the tote & system followed by preparing to receive the sprouts that i will set to germination on Sunday. I will be germinating 4 in hopes that I get three top pop. I have lost one during each of the other two germinations.

Rope hangers and extra pair of magnets (140lb pull /40lb slide) were delivered today. Light is now fully adjustable. Still waiting on a pair of metal 48in rulers to be mounted via disk magnet to back wall of cabinet for light adjustment.

Upload 2019 2 21 21 33 32

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

I bought these Bulk head fittings from a boat supply I also bought O rings to assure no drip

You might also consider F & D which simplifies checking pH//EC//PPM, topping off and replacing nutes. Simly drill a hole in the door to insert the tube. Once flood cycle ends nutes will drain back through the same tube to the rez

hth

IMG 2385
IMG 2384
IMG 3024

IMG 4078
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

First major question. What do I use to cleanup this disaster from the first go-round. I am assuming that i would want to come as close to sterile as possible.

View attachment 855892

Magnets glued to the back of each t-5 did the trick. :-)

OK, the grow cabinet reset / refurb has been completed.

This is the air circulation and humidity control i was discussing earlier. It turns the entire cabinet into a swamp cooler by blowing air over the chilled 65 degree tub. It keeps moisture from building on the sides and dripping into the bottom (making a god-awful mess) and possible mold and rust. It also eliminates the need for a humidifier (at least for now).

Now ready for germination of HDS-SOUR-DIESEL-AUTO-FEM#14-10
4 rock wool cubes have been sitting in water from the flower res. I will let them sit for 24 hours the place the cubes in a petri dish to drain. At that time i will put one seed in each without touching the seed. then it all goes back into the darkened grow cabinet.

Will upload photos in the morning after i finish.

20190304 192124
20190304 200950
20190304 201029
20190309 203937
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Now ready for germination of HDS-SOUR-DIESEL-AUTO-FEM#14-10
4 rock wool cubes have been sitting in water from the flower res. I will let them sit for 24 hours the place the cubes in a petri dish to drain. At that time i will put one seed in each without touching the seed. then it all goes back into the darkened grow cabinet.

Will upload photos in the morning after i finish.

Well shit, that didn't turn out so well... :puke2:

Of the three set to germination on the 11th, only one had cleared the surface by the 15th so I used two more of my precious seeds. If these fail, I will have to seriously consider another vendor. They will go back into the dark for another 2 days. I should see something tomorrow or Wednesday.

Stay Tuned..

20190312 185225
20190312 185235
20190318 171835
20190318 171849
Nugg

Nugg

I wouldn't try sterilization of you system...unless u ran a sterile system previously...well I guess I do it differently...I keep my systems circulating between grows...I have one that has sat empty for 30 days now,only circulating the water..no issues with the water going bad..u believe it's the hydro guard..but idk.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

While I no longer use RW starter cubes or Rapid Starter, Im not happy with 100% organic coco pellets either, at least with hydro for seed starting. They all hold too much water, which can easily cause topping off or root rot

To minimize this I use eye droppers and even hypodermic needles to inject SMALL amounts of water into thee medium. As it is too easy to overwet, I am now letting them air dry in net pots and waiting 1-3 hours between feedings. I do not recommend putting them in a close walled container, unless there's a lot of air space around them

hth

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Well shit, that didn't turn out so well... :puke2:

Of the three set to germination on the 11th, only one had cleared the surface by the 15th so I used two more of my precious seeds. If these fail, I will have to seriously consider another vendor. They will go back into the dark for another 2 days. I should see something tomorrow or Wednesday.

Stay Tuned..

Just a simple update.

I tried all 10 seeds and NONE of the popped. These were from the same vendor that my last grow that turned out well; 100% popped. I have sent the vendor an initial email of complaint; however it does not look good. I received an immediate response saying "there was a high volume of email and it might take awhile for them to respond." Hhhhuuuummmmmmm.... Pardon me if I don't hold my breath. If i don't receive a reasonable response then I will be forced to publish their name so as to warn others of my experience. They sure responded quickly when I submitted my order.

I have decided on another vendor that seems to have a much better rep. I was actually able to speak to someone on the phone and do a little research & leg-work. Due diligence if you will, that I was not able to do with the previous vendor. I purchased 20 Moby Dick XXL, which i have been assured will not out grow the 4.5 to 5 feet of interior height in my flower cabinet. I will germ 4 and hope for 3, If all four do pop i will still have room in the flower cabinet.

The seeds should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. So I should have something to plant by next weekend or so.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I wouldn't try sterilization of you system...unless u ran a sterile system previously...well I guess I do it differently...I keep my systems circulating between grows...I have one that has sat empty for 30 days now,only circulating the water..no issues with the water going bad..u believe it's the hydro guard..but idk.

I am going to try your method with the 35 gallon res. I will keep adding new, fresh water but no nutes of course. I will keep an eye on the ppm, it should not move.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Just a simple update.

I tried all 10 seeds and NONE of the popped. These were from the same vendor that my last grow that turned out well; 100% popped. I have sent the vendor an initial email of complaint; however it does not look good. I received an immediate response saying "there was a high volume of email and it might take awhile for them to respond." Hhhhuuuummmmmmm.... Pardon me if I don't hold my breath. If i don't receive a reasonable response then I will be forced to publish their name so as to warn others of my experience. They sure responded quickly when I submitted my order.

I have decided on another vendor that seems to have a much better rep. I was actually able to speak to someone on the phone and do a little research & leg-work. Due diligence if you will, that I was not able to do with the previous vendor. I purchased 20 Moby Dick XXL, which i have been assured will not out grow the 4.5 to 5 feet of interior height in my flower cabinet. I will germ 4 and hope for 3, If all four do pop i will still have room in the flower cabinet.

The seeds should be here tomorrow or Tuesday. So I should have something to plant by next weekend or so.

2 Aprill 2019 - The new Moby Dick XXL Auto Feminized Seeds are in, they were soaked for 24 hours and then placed into RW cubes that had been soaked for 3 days in .5 oz CloneX + 4oz RO mix; and PH Balanced to 5.5.

Before i placed the seeds in the RW i placed each of them on rubber washers to make sure excess liquid would have room to drain; and let them sit for 15 minutes before adding the seeds.

After a week and two days of finger nail biting (I think the delay was due to low temps), i finally have a sprout. Lets hope the other two follow. I will let you know.

Upload 2019 4 11 18 52 1

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
2 Aprill 2019 - The new Moby Dick XXL Auto Feminized Seeds are in, they were soaked for 24 hours and then placed into RW cubes that had been soaked for 3 days in .5 oz CloneX + 4oz RO mix; and PH Balanced to 5.5.

Before i placed the seeds in the RW i placed each of them on rubber washers to make sure excess liquid would have room to drain; and let them sit for 15 minutes before adding the seeds.

After a week and two days of finger nail biting (I think the delay was due to low temps), i finally have a sprout. Lets hope the other two follow. I will let you know.

View attachment 865692

Here is the "Pulse" environmental chart for the germ. period. I started tweaking the environmental settings until i got to where i am right now. This is "ideal range for germ. " according to "Growing Elite Marijuana"

We'll see.

Oh; I did end up getting a new humidifier. This time i purchase one where i could set the RH percentage. It also has a 1.5 gallon res so i only have to fill once a day.

Upload 2019 4 11 19 45 32

Upload 2019 4 11 19 50 54

Last edited:
Top Bottom