Let's Do It Again!!! 2nd Hydro Grow

• Thread starter AnselAdams
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Here is the "Pulse" environmental chart for the germ. period. I started tweaking the environmental settings until i got to where i am right now. This is "ideal range for germ. " according to "Growing Elite Marijuana"

The Pulse (yes, the "thingy" advertised on the right).

If you don't know what it is; you should. read this thread ==> Pulse One Hygrometer & VPD Monitor

I love mine as i stated in my original comment on the product (Here) ... "I picked up two of them over the last couple of weeks as well, and will be buying a third on payday. One for each cabinet and one for the room itself. I love the info provided they seem to be well worth the $$. Now we see how long they last.

I have dialed in the grow closet and i'm working on the flower closet now. As someone else mentioned, i was close (in the yellow portion of the curve chart). However i can see what would have been the difference had i been in the green zone during more of the grow.

Will be using it more for this next grow, if i can get the damn seeds to pop.

..."
JWM2
Here are my current environmental settings. DDRE=Grow/Germ Cabinet; Biggie=Flower; Tupac=RO res/grow room. I still need a new humidifier for "biggie" but i have a few weeks before it is needed again.

NUGG:
I have kept "biggie" running and keep adding replacement RO to keep it going. I have not noticed and degradation of the res. I did take the time to turn everything off for an hour or so and pull all of the remaining root material and rocks out of the bottom. I also took a small pump with a piece of surgical tubing attached and "vacuumed" out the gunk that had settled to the bottom. Temps & PH have been maintained.

After my babies pop, i will be taking the VPD on DDRE to .8 or .7 still doing research on the proper setting for flower cabinet.

Upload 2019 4 11 21 10 58

Upload 2019 4 11 21 12 15

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

I have dialed in the grow closet and i'm working on the flower closet now. As someone else mentioned, i was close (in the yellow portion of the curve chart). However i can see what would have been the difference had i been in the green zone during more of the grow.

The Pulse (yes, the "thingy" advertised on the right).

My research for the proper VPD for each growth stage lead me to this:

Upload 2019 4 11 21 50 47

Upload 2019 4 11 21 56 18

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
2 Aprill 2019 - The new Moby Dick XXL Auto Feminized Seeds are in, they were soaked for 24 hours and then placed into RW cubes that had been soaked for 3 days in .5 oz CloneX + 4oz RO mix; and PH Balanced to 5.5.

Before i placed the seeds in the RW i placed each of them on rubber washers to make sure excess liquid would have room to drain; and let them sit for 15 minutes before adding the seeds.

After a week and two days of finger nail biting (I think the delay was due to low temps), i finally have a sprout. Lets hope the other two follow. I will let you know.

, , ,

Well, today is the 17th of April. It has been more than a week since the first sprout. The other two seeds did not pop, so i soaked more and made sure they were showing white before i took them out of the water and placed them in the prepared RW (same as before). I put a date tag on the one that is growing so that i can track it.

Back to waiting. :party1:

B

Burned Haze

My research for the proper VPD for each growth stage lead me to this:

View attachment 865734

View attachment 865735

I was thinking about getting a “pulse “ for my flower and if it impresses me as much as it claims/info shows online . I’ll prolly have it for my vegroom as well if it shows itself.

Those kind of tools can change % from success to failures or def a whole different ending grow cycle .

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I am still having issues with germinating. The one that appeared healthy from the first attempt has died. It never cleared the RW. the shaft was bent over and the head never exited the RW. I am guessing the stess of tryint to right the tape root was too much.

The other four have not yet popped, even though i could see white on all four before putting in RW.

I am stumped, and need suggestions please. I tried repeating the exact steps i used for my first grow (consulted my diary) and still no success.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I am still having issues with germinating. The one that appeared healthy from the first attempt has died. It never cleared the RW. the shaft was bent over and the head never exited the RW. I am guessing the stess of tryint to right the tape root was too much.

The other four have not yet popped, even though i could see white on all four before putting in RW.

I am stumped, and need suggestions please. I tried repeating the exact steps i used for my first grow (consulted my diary) and still no success.

I have taken the suggestion of a fellow Farmer and reworked my germinating operation.
  1. First put about 1.5 gallons of 6.0 PH RO water into the res.
  2. Each of the bottom net-pots have been filled with hydrostone to the top line of holes. I then set each of the RW chunks into a second net-pot. When the two are nested the very bottom of the top net-pot is just touching the top of the wet stones below. I am keeping the water level no higher than the stones in the bottom net-pot.
  3. I added a 4in micro-bubbler i had on the shelf (will probably add a second) and a regular 2in air stone. As you can imagine, the microbubbler throws up a ultra fine mist that hits the upper net-pot. I m hopping this will be just enough moisture to keep the RW in the sweet spot to germ.
  4. Because i sat on the dome; I had to come up with a work-around. I wrapped the top in shipping plastic (heavy duty saran wrap), cut some X's over the net-cups and pushed them through from the bottom to create an almost air tight fit.
  5. I moved the whole kit to the large flower cabinet that is not being used right now. I turned off the 900W of LED's and left just the two t-5's running.

Since these are the same seeds i planted over a week ago; if they don't pop by Wednesday then I'll try 4 more from scratch with the new kit running.

🍻

20190420 132323
20190420 132351
20190420 132409
20190420 132455
20190420 132634
20190420 132659
20190420 132707
20190420 132752
20190420 133301
Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I have taken the suggestion of a fellow Farmer and reworked my germinating operation.
  1. First put about 1.5 gallons of 6.0 PH RO water into the res.
  2. Each of the bottom net-pots have been filled with hydrostone to the top line of holes. I then set each of the RW chunks into a second net-pot. When the two are nested the very bottom of the top net-pot is just touching the top of the wet stones below. I am keeping the water level no higher than the stones in the bottom net-pot.
  3. I added a 4in micro-bubbler i had on the shelf (will probably add a second) and a regular 2in air stone. As you can imagine, the microbubbler throws up a ultra fine mist that hits the upper net-pot. I m hopping this will be just enough moisture to keep the RW in the sweet spot to germ.
  4. Because i sat on the dome; I had to come up with a work-around. I wrapped the top in shipping plastic (heavy duty saran wrap), cut some X's over the net-cups and pushed them through from the bottom to create an almost air tight fit.
  5. I moved the whole kit to the large flower cabinet that is not being used right now. I turned off the 900W of LED's and left just the two t-5's running.
Since these are the same seeds i planted over a week ago; if they don't pop by Wednesday then I'll try 4 more from scratch with the new kit running.

🍻

Stats for cabinet being used for Germ.

Biggie germ
Nugg

Nugg

Your rw is to wet....after the pre soaked..never soak rw again..few drops until roots can get water...keep rw inches above water like 4"..keeps temps above 70°..after work tonight..I'll take pics of how I do it...I have never failed this way.

PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

Your rw is to wet....after the pre soaked..never soak rw again..few drops until roots can get water...keep rw inches above water like 4"..keeps temps above 70°..after work tonight..I'll take pics of how I do it...I have never failed this way.

Yep.

In addition to having the water line too high in my starter bubbler, thus causing the coco pellets to stay wet and thereby initiate root rot, I was flooding too high in my F & D system as well

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter

Thank You.

So in the current configuration i should be good. It meets the 4" rule (waterline is half way up lower net-pot) and i have not added any water since i deposited the seeds. That would explain why i found this when i woke up this morning. 😃 One down 3 to go.

2nd germ attempt   2019 04 22 15 46 24
Nugg

Nugg

That still looks to wet.here is what I do..it's different I know..but...2" foam then pebbles on bottom...my water is 2" below my 4" net pots...I use a spray bottle to mist twice a day until roots get down in wet pebbles....then later I can bring water level up if I choose,but no reason to really..

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
. . . 2" foam then pebbles on bottom...my water is 2" below my 4" net pots...I use a spray bottle to mist twice a day until roots get down in wet pebbles....then later I can bring water level up if I choose,but no reason to really..

So if i understand what you have done; the RW is wedged in the hole made in the styrofoam plug. It is done such that the entire RW plug is within the confines of the foam. Then you spray the top daily. The bubble/mister below is to lightly water (mist) the stones which will provide a moisture target for the root structure.

Did i miss anything? Do i need the "tent" over the RW with an RH of 62% within the cabinet?
Thank You;

Nugg

Nugg

That's correct...idk.i never use the "tent"...I might help..I work alot and do sometimes get a little dry..but...
Sometimes I don't run the pebbles...and not wedged just slides in nicely.lol

IMG 20180705 204208
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
That still looks to wet.here is what I do..it's different I know..but...2" foam then pebbles on bottom...my water is 2" below my 4" net pots...I use a spray bottle to mist twice a day until roots get down in wet pebbles....then later I can bring water level up if I choose,but no reason to really..

To your point... the one sprout was overcome by mold/fungus. Chunked all RW and Hydrostones just to be safe (i have 20lbs of the stuff). Starting again with my last 4 Moby Dick XXL autos. Will follow the suggestions to a "T" and see how we do.

Thanks All.

The Jewels

The Jewels

I will step up and call this a shiitzy run of bad luck.
You feathered a fine nest, soon you will have some hot chicks up in that coup.

Knock 'em dead kid !

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
I will step up and call this a shiitzy run of bad luck.
You feathered a fine nest, soon you will have some hot chicks up in that coup.

Knock 'em dead kid !

Thanks for your support!! I need all i can get :cool:

Marines adapt & overcome.

I will prevail!! It is just a matter finding a working, repeatable germination process.
The biggest Debbie downer is the cost of the beans... oh well no education is free.

More to come, i promise.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Thanks for your support!! I need all i can get :cool:

Marines adapt & overcome.

I will prevail!! It is just a matter finding a working, repeatable germination process.
The biggest Debbie downer is the cost of the beans... oh well no education is free.

More to come, i promise.

Looks like my luck my be turning. Thanks Nugg :party1:

It seems like the simplest is still the best. Now i will wait and see if the other two pop.

My neoprene plugs will be in on Monday and i have a 1.5 in hole bit i can use to drill out the center to hold the RW.

new hydrostone has been sterilized & rinsed and is now air drying.

20190427 150639
PhatNuggz

PhatNuggz

the problems getting past viable seed sprouts drives my desire for clones

Currently only 3/6 have sprouted all started at the same time- the same way- using the same solution WTF???

The problem using clones for me is

clones are not readily available

Im a small personal use grower. And I like rotating strains

Pic taken 4/26. 2/ 3 are doing well, the other barely, but it is likely the RR that dried out due to evap of the solution and it wasn't kept wet for ~ 8 hours. The RR was very dry yesterday morning

It's always something

IMG 4685
Last edited:
AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
the problems getting past viable seed sprouts drives my desire for clones

Currently only 3/6 have sprouted all started at the same time- the same way- using the same solution WTF???

The problem using clones for me is

clones are not readily available

Im a small personal use grower. And I like rotating strains

Pic taken 4/26. 2/ 3 are doing well, the other barely, but it is likely the RR that dried out due to evap of the solution and it wasn't kept wet for ~ 8 hours. The RR was very dry yesterday morning

It's always something

Ain't that the friggin' TRUTH!!!

As I said on my post to your site earlier; I think my luck my be changing with regards to this germ. thing. I was pleased to find that i had 4 out of 4 pop not the 3 that i mentioned earlier.

4 Moby Dick XXL autos on and poppin'

So now i will actually start the grow data spreadsheet and my grow diary site (in addition to this one) :)

Photos:
27 April 2019
28 April 2019
Today
;

20190427 203104
20190428 182201
20190429 165534
Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom