Lets have a discussion about leds!

• Thread starter Lost
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Snafu

"Conclusion
The new dense matrix LED platform revolutionizes the horticulture industry."

didnt you read the article. lol. I know, i've heard it too many times also. Did i miss it or did they fail to let us know where we can get this new breed of light?

hahaha i am glad i read this thread before posting because i had the same question!

where can one obtain these newer better LED units?

K

kuz

The article was more like a press release from kessil.

I did miss it, thanks for the link. They look durable and easy to use. If they would bundle about 10 of them together and we then used two on a plant, might have something.

Exclusive distributor - hydrofarm.

L

Lost

FYI -Ledgrl's full page add is 5 or so pages later. (ouch?)

As for the kessel, might be the future but its unproven. I think leds have a long way to go before we go blindly believing these companys claims. They have lied to us consumers time and time again just to make a quick buck.

greenthumbdanny

greenthumbdanny

Premium Member
Supporter
I still would like to see some good high quality bud shots from using the LED's>>>I haven't seen a example but what LEDgirl posted up:)

:passingjoint:

gtd

F

Fred

Premium Member
Supporter
I've seen a lot of LED's and none can provide close to the footprint an HID can. If you have a small cabinet it might be good. I just don't see them performing like I would want yet. Regular old magnetic HID for me still.

fred

L

Lost

After saying that bossman is respected in many forums for his reviews.. Send him your vert unit and have him do a grow around a 6x6 cement matrix, that it would be her best shot. Banned!

Think she is scared the word is out her leds are less than claimed..?

H

HannaMan

Unbanned already? Nice. I just saw the LED giveaway she posted...I was going to compliment her efforts butttt i change my mind.

Thanks for the discussion! goodbye!

B

Bobby Smith

Unbanned already? Nice. I just saw the LED giveaway she posted...I was going to compliment her efforts butttt i change my mind.

Thanks for the discussion! goodbye!

I saw that "contest" as well, and to me it just looks like she's incentivizing people to lie out their ass about their yields.

Like enough people don't fib about their yields already.

Was gonna post the same in her thread but after seeing how she reacts to "debate" I've decided that any thread she's in I won't be posting in (I lack the self-control to ignore her rudeness).

W

weed sucks

I started with a 90 watt led.

It was a shitty eBay Chinese one, frosty nugs, and I mean w 90 watts over a vegged plant as long as the damn thing is growing you'll get like .5 gpw AT LEAST.

So just to give it the benefit of doubt I bought an American made one. Did one little run with it. It was good for size and heat, but I mean 600 for a 90 watt light scared me.

Well needless to say I'm currently on an hid/t5 regimen,

And laugh my ass off when I hear people compare those 90w LEDs to a 400 w hps. I promise I have used both, and am sorry for all people conned into getting one for that sake.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't lie about my yields, and I weigh out my lbs to 460g cuz that's how I roll.

Don't ask me how much *I* weigh, that's not up for discussion.

So, back to LED technology--here's the thing, for me at least; I detest wasting anything, so I would love it if LED technology became a viable competitor for high-energy use HID lighting. I *want* it to be real and I *want* it to work. But for the current initial capital outlay, I leave the experimentation to those who can afford it, both in terms of cash and time.

I know a fellow who was going to do a nano-reef tank using nothing but a homemade panel of LEDs, but to the best of my knowledge he never got the panel built. Built the tank, it's at his desk at the Steinhart, all of one gallon. If we can get to the point where we can grow CORAL with LED technology, then I think we'll be on the way toward growing terrestrial plants with said technology.

In the meantime, I loved watching Shark Week on our Vizio LED hi-def tv. <grin>

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I saw that "contest" as well, and to me it just looks like she's incentivizing people to lie out their ass about their yields.

Like enough people don't fib about their yields already.

Was gonna post the same in her thread but after seeing how she reacts to "debate" I've decided that any thread she's in I won't be posting in (I lack the self-control to ignore her rudeness).

I was thinking the same thing. I guess when you perpetuate lies you just expect others to do the same.

convex

convex

I am still trying to get my head around the price point on these units.

Majority of vendors source thier products in China.

Circuit boards and components on these units are not uber costly, and considering that the avg. manufacturing salary (as of 2008) is less than 1200 yuan - thats roughly $175 USD per annum.

Most tout the unit to be a 'green friendly' solution ... China does not have a good record of being enviro reponsible.

IMO the only way these prices would be justified is if they were manufactured in the west with domestic manufacturing costs along with 'green' restrictions and enforcements.

Even then, I am sure the actual production cost and allowing for a generous profit amounts to a fraction of the asking price - just another exploitation in the guise of green.

Cheers

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not so sure it's the production costs, though, convex. I think it takes quite a bit of wrangling to get products from overseas. Hell, what I've gone through over the past three months just to get some family antiques to California from Puerto Rico, good Christ. And the shipping is more than half again what the items themselves are worth! Not to mention, because it's a US territory I don't have to worry about customs and all that crap, just logistics.

JACKMAYOFFER

JACKMAYOFFER

Playing with Fire Son...
Supporter
I don't lie about my yields, and I weigh out my lbs to 460g cuz that's how I roll.

Don't ask me how much *I* weigh, that's not up for discussion.

So, back to LED technology--here's the thing, for me at least; I detest wasting anything, so I would love it if LED technology became a viable competitor for high-energy use HID lighting. I *want* it to be real and I *want* it to work. But for the current initial capital outlay, I leave the experimentation to those who can afford it, both in terms of cash and time.

I know a fellow who was going to do a nano-reef tank using nothing but a homemade panel of LEDs, but to the best of my knowledge he never got the panel built. Built the tank, it's at his desk at the Steinhart, all of one gallon. If we can get to the point where we can grow CORAL with LED technology, then I think we'll be on the way toward growing terrestrial plants with said technology.

In the meantime, I loved watching Shark Week on our Vizio LED hi-def tv. <grin>

I have seen LEDS in Coral tanks I use 6 x 600 watters over my 300 gallon reef tank and it kills the fish stores LED set up The color spectrums are cool But I just add a couple purple and white spectrums and get the same results. I know LED girl showed a picture of a large bud but you can grow a big ass bud under a 400 watter if the strain is right, I think once BOSSMAN gets a good strain we will all be abel to see what is the real deal...JACK

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm not so sure LEDs could penetrate into a 300gal tank. You're running 600W MH over it? What kind of corals (SPS, LPS, softies, any tridacnids?)? The fish stores now have LED rigs? That's gotta be over nano tanks, right? It's been a few years since I've worked the trade, don't know what's out there anymore.

A

antimatter

lol you guys are still beating a dead horse when I heard the claims of 30%-50%+ denser buds using leds I knew something was up and then when I saw an extra large freezer bag filled up fully with what was weighed out as 8oz I knew they were actually the exact opposite of what was claimed. The buds were leafy as hell also. :sun

convex

convex

I'm not so sure it's the production costs, though, convex. I think it takes quite a bit of wrangling to get products from overseas. Hell, what I've gone through over the past three months just to get some family antiques to California from Puerto Rico, good Christ. And the shipping is more than half again what the items themselves are worth! Not to mention, because it's a US territory I don't have to worry about customs and all that crap, just logistics.

More reason to have them manufactured domestically - if indeed a great portion of the retail is shipping costs.

Perhaps if they were manufactured here they might be forced to get UL and CSA certification.

Cheers

Top Bottom