Lets see your 2020 Outdoor Plants!

• Thread starter Dirtbag
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MerryJane22

MerryJane22

Too late to edit that, but.....this seems to demonstrate my solution, even though you say it won't? hmm.....always so many opinions to sort through 🙄

Screen Shot 2020 07 29 at 115448 AM
Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Wait what? won't the RO system filter the calcium? that's my problem.....I noticed white chalk on my driveway after using a sprinkler hose for 20minutes the other day. Same on my pots. PPM of my well water is 175 (I think mostly calcium). Shouldn't the filters clean out the calcium? I got the 4 stage with the DI filter. Ugh....hope this DOES help.

Also....the PH of my well water is over 8.0---I've been PHing down since I realized that. The soil ended up getting caked with this stuff. Been a chore to amend it.

Also, I'm a total newb (but not a lazy one) what does "ipm" mean?

I have a method of covering plants (they don't get wet). I don't have a great space for a greenhouse unfortunately. I tend to move plants around to let them get lots of full sun (why I liked the smart post w/ handles).
Plus If a green house doesnt have good air flow in it... you will get bud rot quickly depending on where you live...here fans are a must.

frebo

frebo

Too late to edit that, but.....this seems to demonstrate my solution, even though you say it won't? hmm.....always so many opinions to sort through 🙄
I used RO for a few years but the last one broke and I never replaced it. I had my water tested 45 years ago at 18 parts of hardness, whatever that means. I cannot tell if it really made a difference for me.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

Plus If a green house doesnt have good air flow in it... you will get bud rot quickly depending on where you live...here fans are a must.

Yeah, one good thing is it's been pretty windy most days. Unfortunately the super humid days there's been zero air flow (hence my powdery mildew dilemma). I'm beginning to think I have to cry uncle and just be an indoors gal. Sucks though. I really LOVED the organic sunshine vision.....maybe too much for me to tackle due to my locale? love the woods.....hate the fan club that comes with it, lol.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

I used RO for a few years but the last one broke and I never replaced it. I had my water tested 45 years ago at 18 parts of hardness, whatever that means. I cannot tell if it really made a difference for me.

Well......I have no choice. The calcium is something I should have foreseen. Replaced a half dozen Bunn coffee makers in the last decade. Shower head always caked. Why think my plants could handle it?

This unit was very cost effective ($60 for a 4 stage system ---50 gallons a day). All I need is to procure enough to water the photo 2-3 times a week. I live in the woods 30min. from nearest 'town' so.....grabbing 4 gallons a week is a PITA. Rather do it here. Crossing fingers this works!

I have calmag & other trace minerals I'll miss out on with this stripped down water on hand....hope it's enough 🤙

Purepiff

Purepiff

OMG......I am ridiculously jealous of some of the beautiful plants in this thread !

My first grow.....as is always the case, I went "go big or go home"......I have 4 grows going (4 generations at once).....growing outdoors in Michigan. Terrible weather (always sketchy here, but I never realized the effects such weather had on plants until now). I live in the woods with 5 flower gardens. BUGS GALORE!

Currently battling a consecutive array of crap......powdery mildew and white flies (same auto plant 2 weeks from hopeful harvest) yellow sticky tape is catching an amazing array of fliers now, aphids, nutrient deficiencies......I have hella hard water (tons of calcium) having nutrient lockout on my only photo which is also revegging. It was a gift clone put out too early & flowered...now back into veg stage.....I ended up having to transplant it.

The entire 5 gallon pot was CAKED with calcium ! PH of soil has been a real b*tch to get down. Now luckily under 7.0 and I think it's absorbing nutes now? she looks better, I really want her to thrive. She is SO sticky. The flowers she had were AMAZING.....now they are getting lackluster as new growth is the norm instead 😥

I am harvesting my autos as I go....and I did pluck a few choice flowers from the photo and they're drying now along with the buds from my first auto plant harvested. They had cloudy trikes and some amber even.....she was only 5 weeks into flower, so I'm surprised. Maybe all this heat? no idea. But......I refused to lose it all. So dank & brilliant smelling.

I just bought an RO system, hooking up today. This big girl is now happier in her 10 gallon pot. Unfortunately it's plastic. I drilled holes in various spots on the sides to help dissipate the extreme heat....hope it works a bit.

She is still strong......a real trouper. Catapillar bites on so many leaves.....but at least I get to do the neem routine since the flowers are now throwing out one fingered leaves instead of gorgeous white pistils. Sigh. Been foliar feeding her also.....her root system is still bad from that initial tiny 5 gallon cloth pot she filled almost instantly. Totally FULL of roots when I transplanted. I was insanely careful when I did it. I noticed brand new growth the following morning with zero wilt or issues. (praying).

Unfortunately though.....I didn't realize she was back in veg and surrounded her with "flower doo". Been supplementing veg nutes via foliar spray hoping to get her color back in check. She's greening up from a very pale green. She was so hungry 😳

Thus far.......I have battled fungus gnats, caterpillars, white flies, thrips, powdery mildew, botrytis, nute deficiencies, torrential rain, crazy high humidity, intense heat (90* for almost a week---twice), all the while keeping 4 stages of plant growth in check.

I feel SCHIZOPHRENIC !

Lmao.....thank goodness I work from home. I can keep tabs on all these issues regularly. If I didn't work from home, I would have no plants alive by now.

I do love Michigan......but wowzers......I may end up an "indoor grower" after all this?

I cannot say how impressed I am at you guys growing HUGE gardens outside organically.....this is no small feat. I spent 30 minutes picking white fly maggots off a single auto flower this morning hoping to hell I can keep the buds free. What if I had dozens of plants???? how can this be done? no idea !

Prevention, I guess. I will never be so lackluster in that area again. My new tact will be TREAT IT FIRST. I had fried a few plants using Dawn earlier in the season and became scared of using preventative measures. Never again. Just be smart about it instead. Bastile soap (or something with no bleach or anti-bacterials) So so so much easier to prevent than to try and treat later. Live & learn !

Not ready to part ways with my local pot seller yet........but? that's STILL the plan ! 💚

A ro machine won't cure ur hard water problem. And u need to get ursekf a solid ipm and not wait for issues ti arise before u implement it. If ur weather sucks out there make some hoop houses or throw up a greenhouse they are cheap and easy

Rooke

Rooke

Wait what? won't the RO system filter the calcium? that's my problem.....I noticed white chalk on my driveway after using a sprinkler hose for 20minutes the other day. Same on my pots. PPM of my well water is 175 (I think mostly calcium). Shouldn't the filters clean out the calcium? I got the 4 stage with the DI filter. Ugh....hope this DOES help.

Also....the PH of my well water is over 8.0---I've been PHing down since I realized that. The soil ended up getting caked with this stuff. Been a chore to amend it.

Also, I'm a total newb (but not a lazy one) what does "ipm" mean?

I have a method of covering plants (they don't get wet). I don't have a great space for a greenhouse unfortunately. I tend to move plants around to let them get lots of full sun (why I liked the smart post w/ handles).
Hey there mj don’t give up on growing outdoors for a lot of reasons. One thing you have there is access to a lot of different combatants to get your pest management under control be proactive instead of reactive. Up here in Canada there are so many products that we don’t have access to so it’s much harder to keep things in check. One thing that I would do next year is buying some white bags instead of the black ones. In this crazy heat we’ve been having your roots have got to be cooking, not good. Perhaps you could wrap your bags in a fairly thick white plastic ? I use horse feed bags and it keeps the heat absorption under control big time. You’re gaining a lot of valuable experience that won’t be wasted stick with it and you will be rewarded for your efforts!!

17DF3CA3 0BE4 408A BD15 0C7BEC86B77A
Greatlakes

Greatlakes

Hey there mj don’t give up on growing outdoors for a lot of reasons. One thing you have there is access to a lot of different combatants to get your pest management under control be proactive instead of reactive. Up here in Canada there are so many products that we don’t have access to so it’s much harder to keep things in check. One thing that I would do next year is buying some white bags instead of the black ones. In this crazy heat we’ve been having your roots have got to be cooking, not good. Perhaps you could wrap your bags in a fairly thick white plastic ? I use horse feed bags and it keeps the heat absorption under control big time. You’re gaining a lot of valuable experience that won’t be wasted stick with it and you will be rewarded for your efforts!!
Agreed.... and weekly spray of silica helps prevent PM

Holyswagger

Holyswagger

Agreed.... and weekly spray of silica helps prevent PM
I have been spraying potassium bicarbonate, sunflower lecithin, glycerin, potassium silicate, essential oil of cinnamon, wintergeeen, thyme, oregano, clove and neem oil. I caught pm on one leaf when it was about the size of the end of a pencil.. no sign of pm here! I also cover my plants with a tarp when it rains. The strain is BC pink kush (Flowr Corp genetics) I heard pink kush is susceptible to mold so I’m also building a greenhouse around them when mid September hits.

F21438C3 9E32 4369 91ED 3FE9B0CEBCA6
9114A7CA 0F23 43CD 9B4D BA5AE57687D6
Holyswagger

Holyswagger

I have been spraying potassium bicarbonate, sunflower lecithin, glycerin, potassium silicate, essential oil of cinnamon, wintergeeen, thyme, oregano, clove and neem oil. I caught pm on one leaf when it was about the size of the end of a pencil.. no sign of pm here! I also cover my plants with a tarp when it rains. The strain is BC pink kush (Flowr Corp genetics) I heard pink kush is susceptible to mold so I’m also building a greenhouse around them when mid September hits.
I basically copied Ed Rosenthals zero tolerance fungicide recipe off the MSDS sheet as it’s not available in Canada.. however if I get an issue in bloom I’ll be making an ionized water alkalineizer similar to kangen water and spraying the buds with 11.5 ph water daily if need be

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I spray neem weekly as well. Or at least I did. I stopped spraying anything but organic fungicide as a preventative now.
Alls i know is I've not had one drop of PM since i starting using the silica.

Good luck with your grow. Hope the covering helps

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

I spray neem weekly as well. Or at least I did. I stopped spraying anything but organic fungicide as a preventative now.
Alls i knowni
I basically copied Ed Rosenthals zero tolerance fungicide recipe off the MSDS sheet as it’s not available in Canada.. however if I get an issue in bloom I’ll be making an ionized water alkalineizer similar to kangen water and spraying the buds with 11.5 ph water daily if need be
See... your one of the few people that understand that nothing can take hold if the ph is high enough.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

Thanks guys.........I have been giving my kids silica (liquid in a foliar and also diamatious earth on soil) and using neem, as well (I have neem cake I sprinkle on top of the soil and cold pressed stuff I mix with bastile soap & water).

But.....once everyone was in flower, I stopped spraying. I just bit off more than I could chew here with 16 plants on my first grow. I lost track of who I treated with what and my note taking wasn't ideal. All that said, I won't give up just yet. I have a list a few pages long of changes for next year 😹

The powder mildew I've been tackling as I go (after seeing that giant patch I posted up there). The humidity and weather here has been PERFECT for it. At least the beneficial wasp eggs I hatched a month ago seem to be keeping the caterpillars at bay. Only a few holes.....harvest can't come soon enough. I want to do my "after harvest review" and start all over !

Holyswagger, I have a tarp remedy set up, too. It has come in handy a dozen times already. Beautiful plants there BTW.

MerryJane22

MerryJane22

. Perhaps you could wrap your bags in a fairly thick white plastic ? I use horse feed bags and it keeps the heat absorption under control big time. You’re gaining a lot of valuable experience that won’t be wasted stick with it and you will be rewarded for your efforts!!

Excellent idea ! we've had more 90* days than I can ever remember this year.....I think I'll try this idea. Off to look for that tan canvas I squirreled way who knows where.

ThiccHarambe

ThiccHarambe

Everyone's ladies are looking beautiful! Keep on chugging my fellow green thumbs! Decided to do a little video update this time haha.

And this is the blossom booster that I am using.

My last grow where I used this blossom booster was the grow I got nearly 3 pounds off of 5 plants that were all the size of this lady here
IMG 20200722 102420

And here are the eggs that I'm assuming are the moth/butterfly eggs, maybe someone can shed some light on what kind of insect these eggs are from? They're generally green with the occasional white egg like this one
MVIMG 20200725 154859

All of these ladies are organically grown, no extra nutrients or anything special besides the blossom booster that I use during the flowering stages.

ThiccHarambe

ThiccHarambe

Looking beautiful!

pinetarbiscuits

pinetarbiscuits

Holyswagger

Holyswagger

Thanks guys.........I have been giving my kids silica (liquid in a foliar and also diamatious earth on soil) and using neem, as well (I have neem cake I sprinkle on top of the soil and cold pressed stuff I mix with bastile soap & water).

But.....once everyone was in flower, I stopped spraying. I just bit off more than I could chew here with 16 plants on my first grow. I lost track of who I treated with what and my note taking wasn't ideal. All that said, I won't give up just yet. I have a list a few pages long of changes for next year 😹

The powder mildew I've been tackling as I go (after seeing that giant patch I posted up there). The humidity and weather here has been PERFECT for it. At least the beneficial wasp eggs I hatched a month ago seem to be keeping the caterpillars at bay. Only a few holes.....harvest can't come soon enough. I want to do my "after harvest review" and start all over !

Holyswagger, I have a tarp remedy set up, too. It has come in handy a dozen times already. Beautiful plants there BTW.
Thank you. This is my first attempt at organics and I can tell you I’ll never go back to synthetic nutrients. I use a custom soil mix. For approximately 100 gallon Mix i use
Here is the recipe for the 2 soil mixes ( one for veg one for bloom)
1 large bale of pro mix hp
2 (50L)bags of organic happy frog soil mix
2 bags of of miracle grow organic sea compost
2 to 3 bags of gro 4 worm Castings
3 bags of (1.7kg) Faford perlite
2 pouches of dynomyco premium mycorrhizae (75g)
1/2 cup per gallon of diatomaceous earth
2 tablespoons per gallon of Gaia green insect frass.
1/2 cup of Epsom salts
For flowering pots (15 gallon air pots) i reverse the Gaia green 75% bloom to 25% all purpose
3 table spoons per gallon of mix of Gaia Green power bloom 2-8-4
To 1 tablespoon per gallon of Gaia green 4-4-4 all purpose

I veg them in 2 gallon pots with above mix however I reverse the Gaia green recipe and use 3 tablespoons per gallon of the 4-4-4 all purpose & 1 tablespoon per gallon of the 2-8-4 power bloom. (For 2 gallon veg pots )

I also use my own vermi compost from worm bin At about 20L or so

I let the two mixes sit in a tarp in the shade for about a month or so

For the veg mix I water with sprouted organic barley every 2 weeks and when they hit the bigger 15 gallon smart pots With the flowering mix I switch it up to sprouted organic pop corn (1-2 tablespoons per gallon of the sprouts ground up)

I use rain water only however I do add 1/4 strength iguana juice to every other watering (in veg up to the 3rd week of bloom) I rotate the 1/4 strength iguana juice with 1/4 strength Rubicon concentrated fish fertilizer 2-3-0 and foliar feed weekly Rubicon marinis concentrated seaweed at 1/2 strength. Mixed with1/2 strength sensi cal meg extra ( however I do not put the sensi cal meg extra into my waterings as it contains EDTA (just foliar)
I find if I spray the Rubicon seaweed concentrate alone they grow so fast they begin to cannibalize their lower leaves they use up a lot of minerals and N so if you don’t foliar with the cal meg you will get a lot of yellowing on bottom leaves. so 1/2 strength rubicon seaweed & 1/2 strength Cal meg extra. This is a very powerful foliar application which sends them into overdrive and they preach even at night for 24 hours straight!
I also foliar spray 1/4 ml per L of the canna max potassium silicate weekly along with my regular IPM I foliar spray about 4 am in the morning.
I also water with 1/4 strength Microbial Mass every other week....rotate MicrobialMass with fresh aloe Vera gel at 1 teaspoon per gallon for the aloe Vera and foliar spray fresh aloe Vera weekly (4am)
when they are in transition I top dress 2-3 cups of humic soil I find in a old growth forests. It’s a forest that smells like fungus and contains a huge amount of mushrooms.. you can smell the shrooms when you walk in. I find a rotted out Maple log that’s broken down into humic soil.
especially go after the stuff that’s got a lot of mycelium growing on it. I top dresswith this at 2-3 cups per 15 gallon smart pot and water in. My plants preach from 5am - 9pm daily. As far as I’m concerned if they don’t preach something is wrong!

my plants are nutrient pigs but if you are growing a sativa or a lighter feeder you must cut the Gaia Green mix in half... if you don’t you will burn the shit out of your plants!

I definitely find that the tarp covering helps a lot as the rain would just wash off my IPM sprays!

A154BB18 DE0C 4C80 8CF3 3811F42667A9
Holyswagger

Holyswagger

Thank you. This is my first attempt at organics and I can tell you I’ll never go back to synthetic nutrients. I use a custom soil mix. For approximately 100 gallon Mix i use
Here is the recipe for the 2 soil mixes ( one for veg one for bloom)
1 large bale of pro mix hp
2 (50L)bags of organic happy frog soil mix
2 bags of of miracle grow organic sea compost
2 to 3 bags of gro 4 worm Castings
3 bags of (1.7kg) Faford perlite
2 pouches of dynomyco premium mycorrhizae (75g)
1/2 cup per gallon of diatomaceous earth
2 tablespoons per gallon of Gaia green insect frass.
1/2 cup of Epsom salts
For flowering pots (15 gallon air pots) i reverse the Gaia green 75% bloom to 25% all purpose
3 table spoons per gallon of mix of Gaia Green power bloom 2-8-4
To 1 tablespoon per gallon of Gaia green 4-4-4 all purpose

I veg them in 2 gallon pots with above mix however I reverse the Gaia green recipe and use 3 tablespoons per gallon of the 4-4-4 all purpose & 1 tablespoon per gallon of the 2-8-4 power bloom. (For 2 gallon veg pots )

I also use my own vermi compost from worm bin At about 20L or so

I let the two mixes sit in a tarp in the shade for about a month or so

For the veg mix I water with sprouted organic barley every 2 weeks and when they hit the bigger 15 gallon smart pots With the flowering mix I switch it up to sprouted organic pop corn (1-2 tablespoons per gallon of the sprouts ground up)

I use rain water only however I do add 1/4 strength iguana juice to every other watering (in veg up to the 3rd week of bloom) I rotate the 1/4 strength iguana juice with 1/4 strength Rubicon concentrated fish fertilizer 2-3-0 and foliar feed weekly Rubicon marinis concentrated seaweed at 1/2 strength. Mixed with1/2 strength sensi cal meg extra ( however I do not put the sensi cal meg extra into my waterings as it contains EDTA (just foliar)
I find if I spray the Rubicon seaweed concentrate alone they grow so fast they begin to cannibalize their lower leaves they use up a lot of minerals and N so if you don’t foliar with the cal meg you will get a lot of yellowing on bottom leaves. so 1/2 strength rubicon seaweed & 1/2 strength Cal meg extra. This is a very powerful foliar application which sends them into overdrive and they preach even at night for 24 hours straight!
I also foliar spray 1/4 ml per L of the canna max potassium silicate weekly along with my regular IPM I foliar spray about 4 am in the morning.
I also water with 1/4 strength Microbial Mass every other week....rotate MicrobialMass with fresh aloe Vera gel at 1 teaspoon per gallon for the aloe Vera and foliar spray fresh aloe Vera weekly (4am)
when they are in transition I top dress 2-3 cups of humic soil I find in a old growth forests. It’s a forest that smells like fungus and contains a huge amount of mushrooms.. you can smell the shrooms when you walk in. I find a rotted out Maple log that’s broken down into humic soil.
especially go after the stuff that’s got a lot of mycelium growing on it. I top dresswith this at 2-3 cups per 15 gallon smart pot and water in. My plants preach from 5am - 9pm daily. As far as I’m concerned if they don’t preach something is wrong!

my plants are nutrient pigs but if you are growing a sativa or a lighter feeder you must cut the Gaia Green mix in half... if you don’t you will burn the shit out of your plants!

I definitely find that the tarp covering helps a lot as the rain would just wash off my IPM sprays!
Here is a quick video of my worm bin. If you look closely you can a actually see the living organisms at work !

Top Bottom