Let's Talk About the Calcium/Potassium See-Saw

• Thread starter BillFarthing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Everything you said about Boron is wrong. There, I lead you to water....... Go look it up and investigate if I'm wrong .....
lol good one, but my investigation was done long ago, my conclusions are made and have been put into practise for some time.

Also its not about being wrong or right its neither I'm just stating what I know and what I see and use in practise, not in theory or study but in practical usage, and that is cannabis need more boron then people think, and that their is studies showing this and more research being done every day into this

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Someone's triggered LMFAO 🤣 FYI Einstein, had you provided link(s) or source(s), THAT would be leading a horse to water, but what you did was say "you think" there's water somewhere out there in the Carolinas. When someone on the internet asks you to prove the things that you are saying, the proper response is not to blow a gasket, the proper thing to do is provide links, quotes, anything to substantiate your claims.

I find it funny when ppl feel entitled to an explanation. Usually I just ignore the dick swinging and say OK think what ya like.

Imo your issues were due to other causes or was it infact verified by a lab?

I have seen a shit ton of grows with jacks and kinda funny your the only expert that seems to have an issue... sure maybe changing nutrients solved your issue but I have 0 confidence for the reasons you say.

Skybound

Skybound

I find it funny when ppl feel entitled to an explanation. Usually I just ignore the dick swinging and say OK think what ya like.

Imo your issues were due to other causes or was it infact verified by a lab?

I have seen a shit ton of grows with jacks and kinda funny your the only expert that seems to have an issue... sure maybe changing nutrients solved your issue but I have 0 confidence for the reasons you say.

Kindly quote my asking for an explanation and not a source.

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Hello Dr. Green55. Just wondering what if any, nutrient profiles you run or recommend. Thanks for your time.
Here is what I can tell you when it comes to all these bottle nutes I no shit about them I never used them I always only ever mixed my own from dry salts. Luckily for me I had the opportunity to work with some very smart people over the years, Mixing nutes and ratio's I know for me has changed since I started in the 90's until now but one thing hasn't change and is there is no magic nutrient out there, no magic salt or bottle of stuff to use. its about balance and concentration, but that also has to be in balance with your grow style, what your growing ,medium, environment etc. so optimization is going to be when you have all those things working in harmony, otherwise optimization is going to be only as good as your weakest link, light, environment, water nutes c02 etc etc.

So I ran mixes like 300n 90p 435k 225ca 130s 60mg to mixes like 160n 50p 225k 150ca 50mg 70s and everything in between I can assure you lol, and if you want to know I never ran anything that wouldn't grow weed. For the vast majority of growers out there I think the key is a balance mix from start to finish just giving your plant what it needs and not over feeding or under. there is no magic bullet here thats going to be the end all be all of nutrients. but it can get very complicated if you want it to be, but for me thats the part I enjoy and like playing around with but one needs a good understand of nutrient uptake, what the element do, how the ions act with each other etc etc.

So lets talk about Boron as it was mentioned above, what does B do , builds cell walls, root formation has a direct roll in shoot point, bud sites/growth pollen and bud size to name a few . B is also one of the most important element for photosynthesis

So B and Ca are like twins one needs the other so if B is deficient if effects Ca uptake if Ca is deficient you can't have B uptake , So you can have all the Ca you want in your solution but if there is low B it can't be up taken, and to make it more complicated high N locks out B so when i say balance thats what I mean. active ions in the solution that can be absorbed, you can have all the ions you want but if there not active and can't be uptaken its just shit. B also has a roll in enhancing each elements uptake, most notably P and K there is also 3 grades of nutrient uptake NPK being the faster ones Mg,FeS being middle of the road and Ca and B being the slowest. I guess the other factor would be knowing when your plants want each element, Like N basically more in veg then flower, well same as B . a steady amount in veg, and steady amount in flower until about week 6 then it doesn't need it as much, but it spikes at flip. At flip plants also want Ca I feed kelp for that, guess what else they get B within the mater of 10 -14 days your plants may double they need it. still want to mix nutes lol

Last edited:
SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Sorry posted before I was finished. I’ve been messing with Jacks and a few of the dry nutes, but want to really start mixing my own salts. It’s a little intimidating to me right now, that’s why I’ve been trying to find some cannabis specific nutrient profiles so I have a decent starting point. Much easier said than done lol! I’ve pretty much based everything from the cannastats page, and Mel Frank’s profiles, and just recently the profiles Mr. Farthing has recommended. I’ve been out of Jacks 5-12-26, for a couple of weeks, and have been trying to hit the numbers Bill suggests with protekt, calimagic, and the maxi series. My climate, lighting are in check. I’m not really experiencing any deficiencies, except an occasional twisted leave, but I really want to know why that leave is twisting, and what if anything I can do to correct it. I am trying to obtain absolute knowledge and control over my feed. Just didn’t to expect to neglect my kids, and stay up till 4 in the morning trying to figure it all out lol! Hopefully you guys don’t get sick of me asking all kinds of stupid questions, and continue helping me out lol!

Skybound

Skybound

Sorry posted before I was finished. I’ve been messing with Jacks and a few of the dry nutes, but want to really start mixing my own salts. It’s a little intimidating to me right now, that’s why I’ve been trying to find some cannabis specific nutrient profiles

As best I can tell, all you'll find for Canna profiles is what other growers use and share on forums such as this. Daniel Fernandez (creator of Hydro Buddy) told me that universities an Ag schools won't study cannabis too much because of USA's laws and as the result, we have to find our own way right now. I shared my profiles on page 1 and I admit, my targets err on the side of deficiency because it's generally easier to correct a deficiency than a toxicity and without knowing for certain what is ideal or what the limits are, it's just easier to stay low and make small corrections as needed which is what I've done for roughly the last 2.5 years. Over on the other forums (420 and Bean Basement), there are others who have went down the same path as I and began making their own nutes and tweaking my numbers to suit their media and environment. Once growers transcend brands, we can discuss all things in elemental ppm and put all the babies to bed. Elemental ppm is universal and gallons can talk to liters without any need for translation.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I totally agree. A lot of my friends on other forums, ( I really only hang out at OG for the past couple years, and here more recently.) have been doing the Jacks thing, and a few have started to mess with mixing they’re own. Definitely easier when your talking elemental ppm, and Ec. I like the profiles you’ve come up with and plan on playing around with them myself soon.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I’m also starting to think that 100 elemental ppm of N, is all that is needed throughout all stages. Maybe even as low 95 ppm? 🤔

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

I’m also starting to think that 100 elemental ppm of N, is all that is needed throughout all stages. Maybe even as low 95 ppm? 🤔
Personally for me thats to low, but depending on how your feeding how often, etc and how big of plants your growing maybe you'll be able to get away with, but remember everything else needs to balance with that, and I don't see that being enough N and p to power your plants through stretch, I'd look at something more like 150N ish 50P 225K and maybe bumping K towards the end and add some Ca at least if not B to at flip

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Personally for me thats to low, but depending on how your feeding how often, etc and how big of plants your growing maybe you'll be able to get away with, but remember everything else needs to balance with that, and I don't see that being enough N and p to power your plants through stretch, I'd look at something more like 150N ish 50P 225K and maybe bumping K towards the end and add some Ca at least if not B to at flip
I’m currently at 122 N, P 55, K 190, Ca152, Mg 57, and S 46. I’m 10 days from flip, and experiencing N toxicity. I’d like my K down, and S up. Have been using maxi series with calimagic, and protekt to hit these numbers. I just got Envy brand 5-12-26, and they’re cal-nit, because I couldn’t find Jacks or cal- prime on line in smaller size bags. Having even a harder time now trying to hit the numbers I want lol! Would still like to use protekt till I can afford a soluble Si product. With these products and 2ml of calimagic I came up with 117.25 N, P 31.5, K 163.25, Ca 126, Mg 52, S 58.75, and Si 52. Let me also add I’m in coco coir. What do you think of these numbers? Also having an issue with precipitation when I add the calimagic after the protekt. I diluted both first, but still had a lot of cloudiness. No any way around this by chance?

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I ran some numbers and 4 grams of maxi bloom, 1.5 grams of cal-nit, and .5 grams of epsom look pretty decent. Maxi might be lacking in the micros dept though.

Glassdub

Glassdub

I use Botnicare Cal/mag plus iron.
Off the wall question but why is N included in this mix, It's the only Cal/Mag I've used, I started when I'm using non-tap mineral free water, seems to be a small amount, only ups the PPM about 100 & as far as I know this might be from the Cal/Mag itself.

TwitchVee

TwitchVee

I ran some numbers and 4 grams of maxi bloom, 1.5 grams of cal-nit, and .5 grams of epsom look pretty decent. Maxi might be lacking in the micros dept though.
We were discussing excess or lack of calcium and potassium, the maxibloom would just be potassium and the cal mag and iron is self explainatory. Does that make sense?

Top Bottom