Let's Talk About the Calcium/Potassium See-Saw

• Thread starter BillFarthing
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Not that it's a problem, but perhaps your issues are rooted in PH drift?
I thought about that. I’m in coco so I don’t even bother checking the pH of the run off. After everything is mixed up, the pH settles at 6.2. I water by hand every day, and mix fresh nutes daily also.

Skybound

Skybound

I thought about that. I’m in coco so I don’t even bother checking the pH of the run off. After everything is mixed up, the pH settles at 6.2. I water by hand every day, and mix fresh nutes daily also.

IMO, you should beat it down to 5.6-5.8 as the Si is going to pull it up to God knows where afterwards.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

IMO, you should beat it down to 5.6-5.8 as the Si is going to pull it up to God knows where afterwards.
100% this ^^^ and adding to @Skybound if using silicate such as potassium silicate and not silicon like silicon dioxide the you absolutely need to add it first and let it mix for 20-30mim at a high ph (it will raise ph above 9 or higher absolutely) then ph it down after mixing to 6.5 before adding your nutrients to prevent precipitate. After adding nutes being the PH down to his suggested ranges... absolutely agree here.

You will need a bit more ph down than usual if you are using a silicate form.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey @Skybound I can't help but feel we met somewhere before.. online but possibly before I was a mod? Anyhow welcome to the farm and glad to have ya.

Edited... online I meant not in person

Last edited:
SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

For some reason, I always feel if I have to add pH up, or down, that I did something wrong lol! This is a good idea though. Will lower it when I mix fresh nutes later tonight.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

100% this ^^^ and adding to @Skybound if using silicate such as potassium silicate and not silicon like silicon dioxide the you absolutely need to add it first and let it mix for 20-30mim at a high ph (it will raise ph above 9 or higher absolutely) then ph it down after mixing to 6.5 before adding your nutrients to prevent precipitate. After adding nutes being the PH down to his suggested ranges... absolutely agree here.

You will need a bit more ph down than usual if you are using a silicate form.
I’ve been using Protekt, which is Silicate. Will be grabbing Power Si, as soon as I can afford it lol! Hate using the silicate.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
I’ve been running 122 ppm of N, and my Sativa doms are displaying Slight N toxicity. Dark green leaves, and tips are doing the eagle claw. The males Sativas are having no issues with the N that high (which isn’t really that high), but the girls are not happy.
Curious what your EC going in is? Elemental ppm appears to be a guess at best. I've gotten dark green leaves using Jack's and all I had to do was dial down the EC a few points because i was feeding too much.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Curious what your EC going in is? Elemental ppm appears to be a guess at best. I've gotten dark green leaves using Jack's and all I had to do was dial down the EC a few points because i was feeding too comes o
Curious what your EC going in is? Elemental ppm appears to be a guess at best. I've gotten dark green leaves using Jack's and all I had to do was dial down the EC a few points because i was feeding too much.
It comes out at about 1.3 Ec. I usually feed by what the runoff tells me. Currently 510 ppm, so a little over 1.0 on a 5 scale. I never have to feed more than 550 ppm, or 1.05 Ec I think that comes out to, on any strain I ever ran.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Some soluble silicas (not potassium silicate) are alkaline, neutral or acidic depending on the formulation. Always double check your runoff pH and adjust accordingly.

Glassdub

Glassdub

Some soluble silicas (not potassium silicate) are alkaline, neutral or acidic depending on the formulation. Always double check your runoff pH and adjust accordingly.
I wish it was MORE alkaline, I haven't been able pull my root zone out of 5ish pH for over a month, doubt I will by the end.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I’m in coco, and from what I’ve read, and been told, is that it’s pointless to test the run off pH of coco, because the coco will buffer the rhizosphere pH to within proper ranges, but the runoff pH will be all over the place, thus not giving a proper reading. What’s everyone’s take on this?

Glassdub

Glassdub

I’m in coco, and from what I’ve read, and been told, is that it’s pointless to test the run off pH of coco, because the coco will buffer the rhizosphere pH to within proper ranges, but the runoff pH will be all over the place, thus not giving a proper reading. What’s everyone’s take on this?
Yeah, not using coco but I've heard the same about organic, but how do you gauge otherwise? If you wait for the plant to show in a lot of cases its too late.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
the coco will buffer the rhizosphere pH to within proper ranges, but the runoff pH will be all over the place, thus not giving a proper reading. What’s everyone’s take on this?
Expand the coco with calcium nitrate to buffer. Feed to runoff to get rid of the sodium content.

*Poof* Your coco is buffered properly and you can measure the runoff pH.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

I’m not having pH issues, or anything like that. Just trying to get my N lower without lowering Ca, with the products I have on hand (which ain’t much lo!) I know my life would be way easier if I just had some Calcium Chelate, but I’m broke as a joke till Friday.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Bill, I’ve been trying to follow the elemental profile you suggested. Just trying to tweak a little for some of the finicky bitches lol! And also lowering K a bit, as I’m in coco. Wanted to ask you if you think 170 elemental ppm of K is decent for coco? Been trying to lower to about 155-150.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Bill, I’ve been trying to follow the elemental profile you suggested. Just trying to tweak a little for some of the finicky bitches lol! And also lowering K a bit, as I’m in coco. Wanted to ask you if you think 170 elemental ppm of K is decent for coco? Been trying to lower to about 155-150.
Why? You can do 2:1 K:Ca for healthy plants if needed.

SeymourGreen

SeymourGreen

Why? You can do 2:1 K:Ca for healthy plants if needed.
Okay. Maybe overthinking it a little. I just figured since coco is supposed to release K, I didn’t want to over do it. That and the fact I’m using Protekt right now as my source of Si, and it adds another 35 ppm of K. That would put me at 205 ppm of K! To much don’t you think?

Top Bottom