Lies our fathers told us humidity

• Thread starter Moses249
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
LexLuthor

LexLuthor

This is something I found from a quick Google search, it might help answer your question about how PM survives/thrives:

Powdery mildews are severe in warm, dry weather because, unlike most fungi, powdery mildew require a wet leaf surface for infection to occur. However, the relative humidity of the air does need to be high for spore germination. Therefore, the disease is common in crowded plantings where air circulation is poor and in damp, shaded areas. Incidence of infection increases as relative humidity rises to 90 percent, but it does not occur when leaf surfaces are wet (e.g., in a rain shower).

Source: Adapted from the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension, 1999

B

Burned Haze

No offense but super cleaning your room isn't going to save u from Pm cause PM is always in the air , it's when you have bad air flow is when your plants will systemically be infected , The reason I say this is because I can greenhouse plants survive even with dense buds? Yes! It's when your plant cannot protect itself is when have issues, stale air is ur biggest enemy . Shit I can/have ran greenhouse and indoors at 60-70 all the way through with tons of airflow (65-75f) with zero issues. If you see mould, it's already colonized and that's just a sign ur in big shit. Eagle20e your crop before 12/12 and keep airflow consistent . I laugh at how many crops I see online that have a huge amount of plants in one room with little or no fans . How do you not expect failure In less its popcorn airy buds.

When people act like molds should be treated like something like voodoo. Read about it and find out that hey maybe you can grow plants in a semi humid environment and not get bud rot or pm if you keep ur room with consistent fresh air and movement. Plants love it at 55-70% and I haven't seen mould in over 2 years both indoors and out .

ttystikk

ttystikk

This is something I found from a quick Google search, it might help answer your question about how PM survives/thrives:

Powdery mildews are severe in warm, dry weather because, unlike most fungi, powdery mildew require a wet leaf surface for infection to occur. However, the relative humidity of the air does need to be high for spore germination. Therefore, the disease is common in crowded plantings where air circulation is poor and in damp, shaded areas. Incidence of infection increases as relative humidity rises to 90 percent, but it does not occur when leaf surfaces are wet (e.g., in a rain shower).

Source: Adapted from the Colorado State University Cooperative Extension, 1999

Hey, that's my alma mater! If CSU says something related to agriculture, you can take it to the bank as a best practice in the current environment.

I used eagle 20, improved the air circulation in my rooms and it never came back. I still run 70-80% rh from veg thru mid flower. Recently, I forgot to drop my humidity at the end of the run and my girls came out fine.

sixstring

sixstring

I didnt think I was arguing, just giving my personal experiences.you tell new growers to run @ 70% they are bound to have multiple problems. Can I do better? Sure I can but running 15 to 20 strains at any given time I prefer to not take chances with molds and budgrot. especially on stuff I have never run and have no idea if its mold resistant. All im saying is you better have everything else in check if you run65 to 70% rh.imo of course.guess ill look around for some of these high rh grows and see whos killin it.peace

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I didnt think I was arguing, just giving my personal experiences.you tell new growers to run @ 70% they are bound to have multiple problems. Can I do better? Sure I can but running 15 to 20 strains at any given time I prefer to not take chances with molds and budgrot. especially on stuff I have never run and have no idea if its mold resistant. All im saying is you better have everything else in check if you run65 to 70% rh.imo of course.guess ill look around for some of these high rh grows and see whos killin it.peace
You make a valid point. I was just speaking what I know to be true. A high rh can be tricky in a high desert environment. Not always the path for a newbie. I was just stating the facts that plants perform waaaaaay better (STRAIN DEPENDENT OF COURSE) in an environment where the vpd is dialed in. No offense. Your picture looked good.

L

larebowm

@ attitudefarmer got a recipe for those essential oils?per gallon?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

@ attitudefarmer got a recipe for those essential oils?per gallon?
I actually use the Young Living Thieves Oil. I use an ultrasonic diffuser to get the oils into the air, and I also use the Thieves household cleaner to clean the grow. I keep a bottle of the oil blend and the household cleaner on me when I remodel also. If there is mold behind a wall or something I use it immediately. Also, fungus gnats detest the cinnamon in the blend. Mites hate the clove and rosemary, too, but I never spray it on my plants.
The stuff is great. We diffuse it in our house to keep airborne pathogens under control, and even take gel caps of the stuff when a cold or flu invades the family unit.
Also, a gel cap of their lavender oil works way better than claritin or zantac(sp?) for allergies.

GanjaAL

GanjaAL

You make a valid point. I was just speaking what I know to be true. A high rh can be tricky in a high desert environment. Not always the path for a newbie. I was just stating the facts that plants perform waaaaaay better (STRAIN DEPENDENT OF COURSE) in an environment where the vpd is dialed in. No offense. Your picture looked good.

Why is that brother in regards to 65-70 RH in the high desert? I live in the high desert and have yet to come across info in that regard. I just want to play it safe.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Why is that brother in regards to 65-70 RH in the high desert? I live in the high desert and have yet to come across info in that regard. I just want to play it safe.

I've never heard that either, if you have the right equipment anybody should be able to control there indoor environment regardless of temps and RH outdoors. I'm not sure why a desert environment would make it tricky to grow in 65% RH indoors.

OctoberDee

OctoberDee

Its true that low humidity will burn the shit out of plants, as I have had my fair share of low humidity burn. If the temps are in the right range (70-78) you probably won't see too much of an issue at 30-40% rh but if temps get above 85 and <30%rh you're gonna get major stomata closure and burned ass fan leaves quick, the longer the heat and low rh, the more burn. The bud will remain and intact but you risk burn even through the bud. Resin production does increase but not enough to be beneficial, low yield is then an issue. I would agree that 50% rh at 78 or lower is a good rule but I would say 65% at 70 -75 is perfect for my room and the plants respond favorably at that. Bud is easy as hell to manicure after you burn all the fan leaves off but I don't recommend it lol:android:

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I think there are tons of spores, etc around that never manifest because the humidity isn't here. They get blown in on the wind, etc. Create a humid environment and add a little dust>>>> bam, you have all kinds of jungle fungus. In CO, we blame winds from Cali, lol.

I see evidence of this theory whenever I go into a basement where the pipes burst or there's been a continuous leak.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

The ticket is to provide a desireable environment for plants and undesireable environment for fungus and mold other than the roots for bennies also and undesireable environement for other pest like thrips fungas gnats spider mites ect... ....then find the phenos that thrive in said in environment....

getting used to eradicating them problems or learning to keep it at bay is bad, learn to prevent them. So many problems with superbugs and evolved viruses and molds that grow in all environments
sometimes its better to let it go clean up and stat over good luck and stick wit it!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I don't use any preventative measures for mold/fungi indoors, when it comes to sprays. But I do keep alot of air circulating, clean tools, pots, ect. with rubbing alcohol or h2o2, and prune for better air flow up and around the plants.

No matter what we do, there will always be mold/mildew and fungi spores in our grow rooms. But keeping the spore count low with cleaning and, like caveman said, give your plants a favorable environment, that will help reduce the chances of infection, and remember, healthy plants are able to resist infection far better then unhealthy plants.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
have you had it?if so,what caused it?
I see it on my squashes almost annually, late season. Have had one instance of PM during a root aphid battle and those girls couldn't have fought off Tyrion Lannister with a stick. Have received MANY cuts with PM, RH is not the problem, plant health is. Get them healthy (that usually means not pushing them artificially) and its relevance in the garden is reduced.

I have observed PM in 30% RH.

J

Jalisco Kid

Knowledge is a hard thing to swallow. Galileo had his trails trying to explain the truth. Hell I was banned here at the Farm for giving out bad growing advice when I said I run at 70% rh. It takes time for people to get rid of their myths. People like Jorge and Ed sucked dick back in the day. They just went around taking pics of peoples grows and recyling the growers shit with no basis to back up their bs with studies. Pretty pis are fine but I get to hear these guys whine when their rooms take a dump. Everyone is a killer grower till the shit hits the fan. People who rely on eagle 20 are weak kneed. passing on poison because you can not run a room. Foliar sprays of K silicate and some sulfur burns actually help prevent. Total control of your room is a hard thing to accomplish unless your a trust fund baby, but that is what you need.I have said this for a long time 68* water/78* air/ 65-70% rh If you have problems wraping your head around this look to see what the values are in Thailand,Mali, Hawaii, Mexico you know all those places where the have shitty herb. Suerte JK

sixstring

sixstring

However, the relative humidity of the air does need to be high for spore germination. Therefore, the disease is common in crowded plantings where air circulation is poor and in damp, shaded areas. Incidence of infection increases as relative humidity rises to 90 percent

that^^^^ was taken from lex's post and from a college so i have to assume it to be true right? is it possible to have low humidity and not have wet leaves all the time?i'll answer that,,,yes,keep some space between your girls and keep the air moving good and you will do fine. other then a handfull of growers here at this site i have never heard to run marijuana rooms like you are growing lettuce @ 65-70% rh.and after having it and making a few simple changes in my room along with reading many many articles just like that one lex posted i prefer lower rh and so do my plants.personally i think my buds are stronger and finish faster @ 35% then they did @ 50% and i ran 50% for a solid year before dropping to where im running now.been @ 30-35% for at least a year with good results.

Top Bottom