Light burn or deficiency progressing ?

• Thread starter ReggieD
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Eyes aren’t what they used to be but I think she’s finally showing her sex!

Thankfully cell phones help with that these days. 😝

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Am I reading this correct that you've only used EWC so far and no nutrients?? I skimmed pretty quick but didn't see anything aside from the comment about possibly adding some 444?

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

The Cannabis Karen (I'm a Bytch)
Supporter
Never use run off. Rarely have much. Try to water just what it needs. Check weight and look of top soil, use finger and moisture meter daily.

Same with the clones.
Oh. . when you said RO I thought you meant you were watering with Reverse Osmosis filtered water.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Am I reading this correct that you've only used EWC so far and no nutrients?? I skimmed pretty quick but didn't see anything aside from the comment about possibly adding some 444?
Long story but I had a left over seedling.
Decided to experiment as I had an older plant last time that was top notch. Also wanted to try 3 x 6/2 lighting and more reasonable organic approach. Cheaper but good. Make compost, use worm castings, make tea. But try not to buy unless needed. Buy things on sale. Only my third grow but 3-1 tent lets me try things and have veggies too. Also restrictions on number of plants allowed.

This grow:

Sunshine Basic 4 Mix
From seed to water bottle green house.
Just 24hr+ Old tap water.

Transplanted to 5L soft pot when when you see lots of roots or it’s trying to grow out the top of bottle. Added soil has 1/3 worm castings pre mixed. Use worm casting tea as foliar spray twice week. Water as needed to keep damp, making roots hunt. Usually no issues at this point.

When roots are really trying to grow out the 5L pot, or the plant gets to big, move to a 24L with more mixed soil but add 4-4-4. Remove lower branches to plant deeper to save hight and make clones. Keep about 6” free of dirt for later topping and nutes. Put under big light in 90x90 space. Spray with foliar 2x week and/or use tea and add soil mix. Buy good but cheaper nutes as needed.

Acid is about the only thing added to tap water to get ph from 7’ish to 6’ish. New digital ph meter is literally in the mail.

Last harvest was just soil and Fox Farm added to water with foliar spray up to second week of flower. My big plant gave me 150+g. She was almost black but firm and snowy!

Edit- In case someone doesn’t know the water bottle trick. Saves space if I don’t need a try or I’m giving away. Good for travel.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
So what's the census here? Light burn or? I see this too sometimes and had it as a Calcium Toxicity, Because my lights are usually 20 to 30 inches above the canopy. That's why I asked about the source of the water and what PPM . Hard water?

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

So what's the census here? Light burn or? I see this too sometimes and had it as a Calcium Toxicity, Because my lights are usually 20 to 30 inches above the canopy. That's why I asked about the source of the water and what PPM . Hard water?

Don’t know ppm. Another tool for another day. Sigh

I think trixie? said heading to lockout and research showed pics just like mine. So rather than screw around I just removed the top mute soil I added the day before and flushed her. Bit of a pain and took all my stored 24+ hour tap water but I think it was the right call. Friday will be the tell day. Plants still growing and filling in.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Don’t know ppm. Another tool for another day. Sigh

I think trixie? said heading to lockout and research showed pics just like mine. So rather than screw around I just removed the top mute soil I added the day before and flushed her. Bit of a pain and took all my stored 24+ hour tap water but I think it was the right call. Friday will be the tell day. Plants still growing and filling in.
Organics is a little tricky. Seems like less is more. If you add too much of any of the big three, Nitogen -Phosphorous - Potassium .. it's a lockout. And too much Calcium can lock out phosphorus, and etc...
It's played out as a just add water easy peasy kind of thing but ..sheez... I sometimes wish I sticked to bottled nutes.
So what I'm getting and I can't vouch for 100% is that feeding anything above 6-7 is overkill as far as organics is concerned. I'm talking about the NPK ratios. That's why worm castings can't burn your plants, the NPK ratio of that is usually 1-0-0.
if your using dry amendments then make sure you use those that have a low NPK value. Less is more.
The thought process on this is organic is growing soil. that's right we are growing soil and the microorganisms that live in the soil. These organisms feed the plants for us. If we drop high levels of NPK the micros go into dormancy, they see no reason to work. If we keep the NPK ratios low when feeding the micros see a need and begin to work. So you can overfeed in organics.
Since you don't know what's in your water, and a pH of 7 isn't bad at all, the microorganisms set the pH for you at the root zone level for you, so a pH of 7 is not hard for them to adjust at all. it's the hard water of 8pH and up that the discussion begins weather to pH adjust the water or not.
I'd try using distilled water until you find out whats in your water. The local water report is easy to find online. Could be high in Calcium Carbonate. Won't know until you read that report.
Or it could be a Phosphorus Toxicity which a little dose of Epsom Salt feed (one tablespoon to a gallon) could help.
There are reports that Epsom Salt during the stretch does wonders for flower production.
A lot to take in, my current grow I got lazy and just used tap water. only half are flourishing. So this next round I'm using RO filtering and biweekly compost tea feeds. The compost teas feed the soil. Feed your soil.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
In case someone doesn’t know the water bottle trick. Saves space if I don’t need a try or I’m giving away. Good for travel.
Just saw the water bottle trick, if it's working for you that's a solid. I'd be worried about the light exposure to the root zone there at the bottom, could be detrimental.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

I think I jacked ReggieG’s tread but he just came and left on the 10th so maybe it’s okay?

Just saw the water bottle trick, if it's working for you that's a solid. I'd be worried about the light exposure to the root zone there at the bottom, could be detrimental.
To date every seed, garden or grow, once it pops goes in one. Just soil on a few gravel rocks. (Once 1” or more of root.) Window sill, outside, or in tent they seem fine.

Now I’m making clones I’ll use the tray this spring when getting veggies to seed. No wasted space. I am going see if I can find a nice, reasonable, 4cell x 4cell tray and dome. Skip the bottle and just go to the 5L.

Most times the roots hit the bottom of the water catch before I see many on the sides. Then it’s time to pot. Biggest issue is water. Don’t over water and open cap or remove when it’s time. Like in a dome.

It’s prosibly (new word) doing damage but never enough I notice. I’m only doing this for personal need. Four to six seeds at a time. If all pop and get to transplant stage I give two away.

Now that I think about it I see about as much roots or more sticking out of the jiffy puck as I would in the bottle but as you said; whatever works.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Just plop the water bottles into solo cups or whatever dark colored cup that won't let light in the rhizosphere. I learned this on this forum. I used to use red solos to transplant clones into so they could begin rooting in dirt but I found a better way was to start them in clear plastic cups and use the solo as a sleeve to keep the roots in darkness. Anytime you want to see root development you just slide the clear cup out of the solo and you have a clear view of what's happening below soil line.

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

@Week4Bytch
Thanks for the additional info and confirmation I’m already heading down the right path. I’ll be checking back here when I transplant the clones. They are already doing that and I have some micro soil I was given to try. It’s only the plant that I let sit and wait for an extra month, and cut in half twice due to no room, that’s having issues.

When, not if, I have more organic issues or questions I know who to ask. :)

Zen_Seeker

Zen_Seeker

Just plop the water bottles into solo cups or whatever dark colored cup that won't let light in the rhizosphere. I learned this on this forum. I used to use red solos to transplant clones into so they could begin rooting in dirt but I found a better way was to start them in clear plastic cups and use the solo as a sleeve to keep the roots in darkness.
The foggy/cloudy medical tray helps but I think I can dig something up. Might shave a few days off the grow time if the roots are happier.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Are you familiar with ReLeaf dispensary? Whenever I need hardware shit I have to go to the Lowes in Indio so I would go by there and pick up $80 zips.
Is that yours? I just noticed that driving to Mecca 2 weeks ago. I'll have to check that out.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Is that yours? I just noticed that driving to Mecca 2 weeks ago. I'll have to check that out.
Naw! I spotted it cruising down the 86 and dropped in to check out what they had. Not bad. $80 zips of Gelato flower is good with me!!! It's mostly light dep flower but whoever is supplying them is doing a good job.

I think they're actually off the 111.

Week4Bytch

Week4Bytch

Supporter
Naw! I spotted it cruising down the 86 and dropped in to check out what they had. Not bad. $80 zips of Gelato flower is good with me!!! It's mostly light dep flower but whoever is supplying them is doing a good job.

I think they're actually off the 111.
right on, I only blaze off my grow, mostly just to taste what I'm giving away. I'm more addicted to growing it than smoking it, for now anyways.

Top Bottom