Light mover question

• Thread starter Konto
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

About 20 years ago I purchased my first light mover and over the next 2 years purchased 4 more of them, thing is my yield never went up but I was growing more plants so it should. Well I have a few different rooms so after testing took all the light movers down. I use one in my veg room as it helps keep plant height and growth lower. The simple fact is you can only grow X pounds under a light as that is all it will support even if you move it back and forth. As you can tell I'm not a big believer in them for flower and we have very few people come into the shops and ask for them. I think we have sold six in a year. I could sell more but if I don't believe in a product I only sell it when asked for it. :)

Konto

Konto

About 20 years ago I purchased my first light mover and over the next 2 years purchased 4 more of them, thing is my yield never went up but I was growing more plants so it should. Well I have a few different rooms so after testing took all the light movers down. I use one in my veg room as it helps keep plant height and growth lower. The simple fact is you can only grow X pounds under a light as that is all it will support even if you move it back and forth. As you can tell I'm not a big believer in them for flower and we have very few people come into the shops and ask for them. I think we have sold six in a year. I could sell more but if I don't believe in a product I only sell it when asked for it. :)

Sounds like they are more of a hassle, idk maybe I'll try one out on one of my two 1ks. Starting to second guess it now. I just don't understand how they've managed to stay around for decades and people are still buying them if they do little to no help.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Light movers increase your light coverage by 125% to 140%. If you use 50 watts per square foot as your target, multiply your light wattage by 125% for a low figure and 140% for a high figure. Now divide your two figures by the square footage of your grow space to see what your watts per square foot is. For example, 600 watt light multiplied by 125% is 750, and multiplied by 140% is 840. If you have a 6x6 grow space, that's 36 square feet. 750 divided by 36 is 20 watts per square foot. 840 divided by 36 is 23 watts per square foot. In this example, you can see that 600 watts of light isn't enough. Most growers agree that 50 watts per square foot is optimal.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

and in-case you have any other doubts

ISHS Acta Horticulturae 711: V International Symposium on Artificial Lighting in Horticulture
THE EFFECT OF MOVING HIGH INTENSITY LIGHTS ON POTTED CAMPANULA HAYLODGENSIS

Authors: T.J. Blom, Y. Zheng
Keywords: pulse lighting, high pressure sodium, campanula, growth, flowering, photosynthesis
Abstract:
Summer grown plugs of Campanula haylodgensis 'Blue Wonder' and 'White Wonder' were transplanted into 11-cm diameter pots in wk-42, wk-48, wk-02 and wk-08 and forced in glass greenhouses at 15/15oC and supplemented with either stationary or moving lights from 6:00 - 24:00hr each day. The moving light regime was achieved by moving an high pressure sodium (HPS) fixture back and forth on a horizontal cable system at a speed of about 2.5 cm/sec. In the stationary regime three HPS fixtures were installed above the canopy. The supplemental daily light integral was the same at bench level for both regimes (4.9 mol m-2 day-1), and carbon dioxide was supplemented to 800 ppm. Biomass accumulation (fresh and dry weight) under the moving lighting regime was reduced compared to the stationary system. The dry weight per day of forcing and the photosynthetic efficiency (dry weight / light sum) were reduced, while the photosynthetic capacity (maximum net carbon exchange rate, NCER) was higher for plants under the moving lights. Flowering under the moving light was delayed by 2-11 days compared to the stationary lighting regime with the greatest delay observed for the fall plantings (wk-42). Under the moving light regime, plants were generally shorter, had thinner leaves and lower chlorophyll content than those under stationary lights. This response was similar for both cultivars.

http://www.actahort.org/books/711/711_18.htm

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Very happy with my light mover moving two feet on a two feet reflector that's tilted

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Covering three by six canopy with 1000 watt dual core bottom of bulb a foot away

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Slowest setting stopping at each end of two feet distance

Top Bottom