Live rosin

• Thread starter MooseFarts
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

Just curious, has anyone had any experience with making live rosin in a non-commercial setup. Id like to know of some ways to do some solvent less extraction on fresher buds to keep terpenes and cannabinoids in tact.
Hair straightener and parchment paper. You don't get a lot but it works. Heat it up, put a nug in a piece of paper and squeeze it for 3-5 seconds (wrap it in a towel or oven gloves work well). Use a blade to scrap up the rosin.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Guys, he is asking about live Rosin not the dead Rosin lol.
For live Rosin your going to need and have experience with making fresh frozen bubble hash. The Rosin heads are very picky about how the hash is made,lots of little tips and tricks that make a difference. Then you absolutely need a freeze dryer. The kids were losing lots of Teri’s before the fr wear dryers were used.
Then you need a nice press that is strong enough to squeeze out all the oils but you also need control so your not busting Rosin bags.
In conclusion for me, it is NOT worth it if your not at least using the 20gallon bubble bag set. It’s not worth all the work to get a half ounce of Rosin on the 5 gallon bags.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Hair straightener ftw :) i use a remington wet2dry on the lowest setting, works like magic
Hair straightener and parchment paper. You don't get a lot but it works. Heat it up, put a nug in a piece of paper and squeeze it for 3-5 seconds (wrap it in a towel or oven gloves work well). Use a blade to scrap up the rosin.

Hahah yes we all know of the good ol fashion way of doing it with the hair straightener. Good way if you're looking for a bit to smoke at a time but not feasible if you're growing 10+ lbs of flower.

For live Rosin your going to need and have experience with making fresh frozen bubble hash. The Rosin heads are very picky about how the hash is made,lots of little tips and tricks that make a difference. Then you absolutely need a freeze dryer. The kids were losing lots of Teri’s before the fr wear dryers were used.
Then you need a nice press that is strong enough to squeeze out all the oils but you also need control so your not busting Rosin bags.
In conclusion for me, it is NOT worth it if your not at least using the 20gallon bubble bag set. It’s not worth all the work to get a half ounce of Rosin on the 5 gallon bags.

Yes exactly, not the dead stuff! I like the idea of live rosin as it seems to take out the shitty part of harvesting: TRIMMING. I figured a freeze dryer was needed but damn are they ever expensive. Worth it if you are mass producing to sell it but not really worth it for individuals trying to avoid trimming and doing something with their buds.
That does make sense for it probably not being worth it unless you are using 20gal bubble bags.

I feel as though I DO want to have a legit rosin press. Without a freeze dryer, would it be possible to get a useable product when pressing live buds?
I would just like to have a way to cut down the plant, maybe hang it to dry for a day or two (in a controlled environment to ensure no evaporation or degradation of volatile terpenes and cannabinoids) and then press? Or even cut down plant, immediately goes into freezer, and then press that?

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Hahah yes we all know of the good ol fashion way of doing it with the hair straightener. Good way if you're looking for a bit to smoke at a time but not feasible if you're growing 10+ lbs of flower.

Yes exactly, not the dead stuff! I like the idea of live rosin as it seems to take out the shitty part of harvesting: TRIMMING. I figured a freeze dryer was needed but damn are they ever expensive. Worth it if you are mass producing to sell it but not really worth it for individuals trying to avoid trimming and doing something with their buds.
That does make sense for it probably not being worth it unless you are using 20gal bubble bags.

I feel as though I DO want to have a legit rosin press. Without a freeze dryer, would it be possible to get a useable product when pressing live buds?
I would just like to have a way to cut down the plant, maybe hang it to dry for a day or two (in a controlled environment to ensure no evaporation or degradation of volatile terpenes and cannabinoids) and then press? Or even cut down plant, immediately goes into freezer, and then press that?
Absolutely not. There is no cheap way around it for live Rosin. Can’t press wet material as the water would be a problem.
Next best would be the dry ice tech with bubble bags. Should be able to find it in a google search.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

Absolutely not. There is no cheap way around it for live Rosin. Can’t press wet material as the water would be a problem.
Next best would be the dry ice tech with bubble bags. Should be able to find it in a google search.

Almost forgot about this thread. After much thought and research it seems like using a freeze dryer is the only (and proper) way to go about making live rosin. As a DIY home grower (growing for mine and my family's needs) its just not feasible to spend that kind of money on a freeze dryer. BUT DAMN would it ever be nice to have.

It would be great; harvest plant, trim big leaves and some sugar leaves off and use these for edibles, rest goes in freeze dryer. Keep buds dry and frozen until you wish to press, and when you do you can pull out however much material you'd like to use for the day.

I have been looking into the bubble bags though. Seems like the next best way to create some great product.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Almost forgot about this thread. After much thought and research it seems like using a freeze dryer is the only (and proper) way to go about making live rosin. As a DIY home grower (growing for mine and my family's needs) its just not feasible to spend that kind of money on a freeze dryer. BUT DAMN would it ever be nice to have.

It would be great; harvest plant, trim big leaves and some sugar leaves off and use these for edibles, rest goes in freeze dryer. Keep buds dry and frozen until you wish to press, and when you do you can pull out however much material you'd like to use for the day.

I have been looking into the bubble bags though. Seems like the next best way to create some great product.
No, you can’t freeze dry buds. You have to take the fresh harvest buds and freeze them in a regular freezer. Then you make bubble hash with the frozen buds. After that you freeze dry the hash then you can press the hash. It’s very labor and detailed extensive to make quality live Rosin. Not to mention the poor return compared to other extract methods.
Might want to just look for someone who makes Live Resin(processed by butane).

JG420

JG420

I was told the process for making it was the same but instead of using dried, cured buds you use the plant right after cutting it down. Since alot of the leafs remain and the plant wasnt dried it retains alot of its terpenes but other than that I thought it wasnt very different.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

No, you can’t freeze dry buds. You have to take the fresh harvest buds and freeze them in a regular freezer. Then you make bubble hash with the frozen buds. After that you freeze dry the hash then you can press the hash. It’s very labor and detailed extensive to make quality live Rosin. Not to mention the poor return compared to other extract methods.
Might want to just look for someone who makes Live Resin(processed by butane).

You can freeze dry buds, i have read and watched videos of people doing it. But yes I do not doubt that it is very labor intensive and that you would need the right setup to be able to do it well.

I was told the process for making it was the same but instead of using dried, cured buds you use the plant right after cutting it down. Since alot of the leafs remain and the plant wasnt dried it retains alot of its terpenes but other than that I thought it wasnt very different.

Yes you can try and do this but unfortunately if you try and press freshly harvested weed without some type of drying then there would be too much water in the plant matter. This would then cause the liquid coming out of the press way too liquidy to collect and smoke.

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
You can freeze dry buds, i have read and watched videos of people doing it. But yes I do not doubt that it is very labor intensive and that you would need the right setup to be able to do it well.

Yes you can try and do this but unfortunately if you try and press freshly harvested weed without some type of drying then there would be too much water in the plant matter. This would then cause the liquid coming out of the press way too liquidy to collect and smoke.
And what did thebudslook like? Because from the guys I’ve talked to say it will turn your buds to dust.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

And what did thebudslook like? Because from the guys I’ve talked to say it will turn your buds to dust.

Here’s a little video. Not the greatest quality but the guy just shows the freeze dried nugs. Explains that he probably dried them out a bit too much in the freeze dryer.

One way of going about it would to perhaps freeze dry it to a certain point, perhaps until the weed had a relative humidity of about 70% and then do a slow curing in jars or something following that. I can’t say anything about the quality of the weed since I haven’t ever smoked weed dried in such way.

JG420

JG420

I was talking bho

[/QUOTE]

Trustfall

Trustfall

Supporter
Here’s a little video. Not the greatest quality but the guy just shows the freeze dried nugs. Explains that he probably dried them out a bit too much in the freeze dryer.

One way of going about it would to perhaps freeze dry it to a certain point, perhaps until the weed had a relative humidity of about 70% and then do a slow curing in jars or something following that. I can’t say anything about the quality of the weed since I haven’t ever smoked weed dried in such way.

That video in no way covienced me that buying a freeze dryer to dry my buds would be a good idea. I’m trying to save you some money. Weed is best slow dried.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

That video in no way covienced me that buying a freeze dryer to dry my buds would be a good idea. I’m trying to save you some money. Weed is best slow dried.

Oh trust me I wasn’t jumping up to get one haha I am just thinking that using a freeze dryer would allow you to make live rosin easier. Flash freeze dried to preserve terps in the drying process, then slow cured to a perfect point then pressed.

But I do agree with you that weed is best slow dried for sure.

MooseFarts

MooseFarts

I was talking bho

[/QUOTE]
Yeah definitely would work for bho

Pjammo

Pjammo

Freeze drying bud to press is not a good idea at all, yes the trichromes and smell and taste is perfectly preserved but when pressing all the plant material is dry so it will absorb and rehydrate with the rosin. Where pressing bud that is spongy, it already has moister hydrating all the plant material so you loose less to absorption.
The freeze dryer is great for drying hash as hash dried by air oxidizes, changes color and looses flavor and smell but freeze dried preserves it so you can capture all of that goodness with a press.
Just got a 20 ton press and waiting for my freeze dryer.

B8BECFE3 E3CD 4CD6 BFC4 E979430E6C43
allycat91

allycat91

Would you be able to expand upon how to do this?
So first you freeze dry the buds, press it with a rosin press, then make the bubble hash, lastly freeze it again to make the hash rosin?

visajoe1

visajoe1

I got hot plates off ebay for 135 and a 6 ton bench press from harbor freight for 80. Works like a champ

Top Bottom