Lollipopping: When and How Much?

• Thread starter pork
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I too have a flowering cycle starting tomorrow!

Is the pictured lay out how they will be flowered?

The top fans you ask about, are exactly where I am most uncertain myself.

What I can predict is that all the center and lower bud sites will be in the dark, Any bud allowed to grow down there might rather be removed now and be represented in larger buds farther up the plant.

The lower outer branches will be fully shaded once your canopy closes in, and will dangle down to the floor, so they might better serve as cloning stock.

I have pruning to do today, and will take some pics.

G

grandaddyP

The layout is how they will be flowered unless you have a better layout in mind. I do have a clone room that like 15' x 25' i could move them into there. That's another of my questions, can I just keep defoliating the center even through flowering to get maximum exposure to the bottom of the plants?
Here's a couple of shots of the grwo room

IMAG0500
IMAG0502
RG420

RG420

I prune in veg pre flower, again at 7 days into flower and whats ever left ie stringing arms that are shaded etc at 14 days.

G

grandaddyP

so I could go ahead and prune the fan leaves today and flower tomorrow without too much stress to the plants?
Thanks for joining the conversation:)

G

grandaddyP

Ok Dunge,
Here are some after pics of the plants after defoliation today. I went a bit easy as I'm starting the flowering cycle tomorrow, but after a week or so, I'm going to take your advice and go ahead and lollipop them and thin again.

Ive also throwed in a couple of shots of the clones thy are kicking it after 3 weeks!

IMAG0576
IMAG0577
IMAG0578
IMAG0579
IMAG0581
IMAG0582
IMAG0583
IMAG0584
IMAG0585
RG420

RG420

so I could go ahead and prune the fan leaves today and flower tomorrow without too much stress to the plants?
Thanks for joining the conversation:)

Personally I would wait a week depending on how much you take off each plant, that's what I do anyway.... .. prune In veg, a week later flower, a week later prune again (7 days 12/12) and another week later final prune at 14 days flower then there left to do what we all want em to do ;)

Dunge

Dunge

What was your pruning strategy?

This Alien Rock Candy has been vegging for 12 weeks.
20160303 165929 001ann

Four main tops with all flowers below half height are removed.
Some lower fans have been cleared out, but I expect the upper fans to last through harvest.
20160303 170158ann

Will probably put a hoop bamboo to affixed two branches and girdle her with string.

You and I have very like spacing.
I have 12 plants, in 3 gallons of super soil pots, and a 4 x 5 foot space.

G

grandaddyP

ok looks good i have 12 plants in a 15' x 15' space, super soil in 7 gallon pots.
My strategy for thinning is when I'm looking through the plant I want it uncluttered to get light to all portions of the plant
when I look from the top I want to be able to see all the way down, this makes the secondary growth go crazy and creates many bud spots. I didn't quite get there yesterday as I was paranoid about thinning too much when heading into flowering, but like you said, you have to do it with conviction:) So today I will finish up

G

grandaddyP

Personally I would wait a week depending on how much you take off each plant, that's what I do anyway.... .. prune In veg, a week later flower, a week later prune again (7 days 12/12) and another week later final prune at 14 days flower then there left to do what we all want em to do ;)
Sounds like a good plan, I'll try it:)

G

grandaddyP

View attachment 578483
Some lower fans have been cleared out, but I expect the upper fans to last through harvest.
View attachment 578484
Will probably put a hoop bamboo to affixed two branches and girdle her with string.

As far as selfing, what are you going for, are you trying to increase the intensity of the taste?

Dunge

Dunge

As far as selfing, what are you going for, are you trying to increase the intensity of the taste?
My understanding is that an S1 is as close to a clone as one can get from a seed.
This ARC has been a favorite for years.
A bunch of S1 (feminized) seeds would be a good thing.

Dunge

Dunge

hmm how does this work?
Colloidal silver spray is what I'm using.
Yet to be seen if it works this time.
i have 12 plants in a 15' x 15' space, super soil in 7 gallon pots.
You have a much bigger space than I.
This will change things quite a bit.
My plants are far more jammed together than yours.
I need to protect shorter plants from being dominated by aggressive light hog neighbors.

G

grandaddyP

Yea, i have another room thats quite a bit bigger, i may have to move into it to flower damn lights are just so expensive

GRAPEGODaero

GRAPEGODaero

I am a lolliepopper but i do it in sog. As far as fan leaves you should remove 1 and watch how much the other one out grows it. If its clearly blocking light from the plant lose it and whatever is coming out off the stem because unless it has 2 fully develpoed leaves it will gro slow. When i flip to flower i cut them as soon as there is a branch to cut leaving only the top few nodes. Less stress than hitting them all at week 3. 5alk about shut some shit down if i waited 3 weeks on this aeroflo2 36 i would have a lot of work to do. Here a couple bad quality pix they are on day 18 now
20160304 174426504
20160304 174336716
20160304 172721052
20160304 174426504
20160304 174336716
20160304 172721052

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I do a little at a time every day until end of stretch. Sometimes I will kill budsites after stretch too if I can see they are in the shade and not going to develop. I take a lot of big fan leaves (and little ones too) to promote maximum light to each site. I would rather have AAA+ everything and a little less weight then AAA+ majority and a bunch of scraggles. I also scrog, or pound the plant with 4k of light on all sides (2 different gardens). Canopy management is what separated a good caretaker from a superior one.

Saving it all for one day can be a shock to the plants. It's better to watch them everyday, and take a little here and a little there. Then the plants don't ever skip a beat.

View attachment 578483
View attachment 578484

Dunge are you sure that is 12 weeks? A 3 month veg should produce a pretty big plant. What kind of light are you veggign under?

Dunge

Dunge

Dunge are you sure that is 12 weeks? A 3 month veg should produce a pretty big plant. What kind of light are you veggign under?
My veg space is slow, under a mix of LED and fluorescent (about 500 watts total for a 4x3 foot space)
That 12 weeks is from cutting, and I never see ,much if any, growth in the first four weeks.
The pictured plant is a bit over two feet tall from earth surface and will finish under five feet.
Rather than add more light to veg, I have attempted to time cuttings such that they match my flower space needs.

BTW they are scheduled for a nice Caps beneficial foliar today. A "welcome to flower" rain.

G

grandaddyP

what are everyones thought on using molasses as a soil supplement

G

grandaddyP

Dunge, Capulator, Rg420, what are your thoughts on using molasses as a soil supplement

Top Bottom