Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This is just basement. Nothing finished. It does stay temp steady because it’s a basement but it’s not warm enough. Do they make safe heaters for inside a tent? If I used a couple space heaters around it? Although that doesn’t seem safe or economical. I do have to think about what I’d be saving though. The economics are ok. Safety would worry me. Moms up there.
Safety is always important.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This is just basement. Nothing finished. It does stay temp steady because it’s a basement but it’s not warm enough. Do they make safe heaters for inside a tent? If I used a couple space heaters around it? Although that doesn’t seem safe or economical. I do have to think about what I’d be saving though. The economics are ok. Safety would worry me. Moms up there.
I would look for heating the room the tent is in as opposed to putting a heater in the tent. If you can vent the heat from the room with the wood stove in it, all you would need would be an inline fan plugged into a thermostat.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I would look for heating the room the tent is in as opposed to putting a heater in the tent. If you can vent the heat from the room with the wood stove in it, all you would need would be an inline fan plugged into a thermostat.
I can always make the area around where I put the intake warmer. However I manage it. Maybe I need to rethink the basement. Although, in any available room, in the winter I’m not going to get over 70° no matter what. If the woodstove is burning the heat doesn’t come on. The room is in the back of the house so doesn’t get as warm. Maybe I can circulate it better.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I can always make the area around where I put the intake warmer. However I manage it. Maybe I need to rethink the basement. Although, in any available room, in the winter I’m not going to get over 70° no matter what. If the woodstove is burning the heat doesn’t come on. The room is in the back of the house so doesn’t get as warm. Maybe I can circulate it better.
What kind of windows do you have in the basement? The small rectangular ones high up? You can rig those as Solar collectors and pump some heat into the room. Same thing for a regular room.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Think about the habits of the people in your home ... what time of day is the house at it's warmest? You can choose any 12/12 cycle that fits your lifestyle. It might make sense for your plants night time period to coincide with the warmest 12 hr time-frame.

I've also used three 48" x 20" seedling mats run through a temp controller and placed them under the water catch insert of your tent. Set it to about 72F and your plants will never have cold feet. The mats that size are not all that cheap but it will cost you far less in electricity than if you decided to run a space heater.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
What kind of windows do you have in the basement? The small rectangular ones high up? You can rig those as Solar collectors and pump some heat into the room. Same thing for a regular room.
Small rectangular ones high up. lol. 🤞

I did just text upstairs that I may be taking the exercise room, that suddenly wants to be a sewing room (because she knows I was considering it. She is still her). That room gets heated by the furnace when in use and also gets the heat from the woodstove. She hadn’t sewn since we were kids in the 70’s. She bought the sewing machine at the beginning of the pandemic for boredom and made a hundred masks. It’s been put away since. A sewing room! 🤣🤣🤣 GTFO. Then asks me to pack one and come up.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This was the one I was originally sure I’d get. Then I saw a site that calculates the needed ppm, and found a light that exceeds that where this one is under it. The more expensive by about $250 650R is cool too. Am I over thinking? These work fine in a 5x5? There’s nothing professional about this at all. It’s just mom and I. I don’t want to spend much more on a light but once I’m pulling the first batch of autos (figure a good way to learn to deal with them) after the cure, I’m saving a minimum of $750 a month. It’s a no brainer. It will be tough financially until I get there but it will clear up immediately after.
The 650R will need a higher hanging height than the Scorpion or Scorpion diablo I ran my hlg 600 in a height limited room and you need to keep the plants much shorter because about 18" at 80% maxes them out hard. In a tent I suggest something spaced a little more with strips/bars or boards spread out more.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Small rectangular ones high up. lol. 🤞

I did just text upstairs that I may be taking the exercise room, that suddenly wants to be a sewing room (because she knows I was considering it. She is still her). That room gets heated by the furnace when in use and also gets the heat from the woodstove. She hadn’t sewn since we were kids in the 70’s. She bought the sewing machine at the beginning of the pandemic for boredom and made a hundred masks. It’s been put away since. A sewing room! 🤣🤣🤣 GTFO. Then asks me to pack one and come up.
When you need a seamstress, someone in the family who can sew can work small miracles. My mother still has one and she's 84. She uses it, but not like she once did. Maybe there's room for negotiation ... offer her a card table and offer to help her set up her sewing machine and table when she wants to use it. Hope it works ...

SC69

SC69

Supporter
The 650R will need a higher hanging height than the Scorpion or Scorpion diablo I ran my hlg 600 in a height limited room and you need to keep the plants much shorter because about 18" at 80% maxes them out hard. In a tent I suggest something spaced a little more with strips/bars or boards spread out more.
This was shown to me earlier after I mentioned I also liked the R01 (I forget brand name at the second). It is bars like this one but was more $$. I was trying to justify it. This one is the same. https://www.growgeneration.com/products/ion-led-720w-120-277v.html
Thoughts? Too much for me and my space? That HLG 600 doesn’t have the PPM I saw recommended on a chart. And, I don’t know what any of what I just said means. Just being honest. That’s my price point within probably $75. I also know ppl have grown with what’s available now and less for decades. I am over thinking and second guessing.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
When you need a seamstress, someone in the family who can sew can work small miracles. My mother still has one and she's 84. She uses it, but not like she once did. Maybe there's room for negotiation ... offer her a card table and offer to help her set up her sewing machine and table when she wants to use it. Hope it works ...
There isn’t going to be a sewing room. She did it all on her dining room table last year. She just knew I wanted it and would probably prefer this happen in the basement and not in her apartment. It’s not the issue she thinks though. I have to explain that part to her too.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This will present a problem. The hose water is completely hard. The water in the house has to be put through a softener. I can change the medium from sodium to potassium but it has to stay because of clothes and showers. I could put it through an R/O after that but I don’t like the idea of waste. It takes 2-4 hours to fill a new tank. What do I do at flush time when I need 15 gallons a plant? Heavy flower when they take a lot? I could get large sideline type coolers and take water from my sisters but that’s going to be laborious. I could tire of it easily. I can’t carry it is the first problem. I could fill it by using gallon jugs. How long can it be stored? Thank you! Hope you rested well.
Run a tap before the softener and cut 50% RO or hook up an RO unit after the softener to remove the sodium.

Absolutely do not run water after a softener unless you filter with an RO unit.

They are pretty cheap these days.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This was shown to me earlier after I mentioned I also liked the R01 (I forget brand name at the second). It is bars like this one but was more $$. I was trying to justify it. This one is the same. https://www.growgeneration.com/products/ion-led-720w-120-277v.html
Thoughts? Too much for me and my space? That HLG 600 doesn’t have the PPM I saw recommended on a chart. And, I don’t know what any of what I just said means. Just being honest. That’s my price point within probably $75. I also know ppl have grown with what’s available now and less for decades. I am over thinking and second guessing.
That will be fine.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Run a tap before the softener and cut 50% RO or hook up an RO unit after the softener to remove the sodium.

I don’t really like the idea of RO. It’s going to make it harder but I will take water from my sisters place a few times a week and store it. Is this specific to this and other plants? Moms flowers etc do great all summer.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I was going to suggest a 3 stage filter system. Those can be had pretty cheap .... but I'm not sure it would be less than the RO unit @Aqua Man linked you to. That is a very good deal.

growsince79

growsince79

HPS make excellent heaters.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
That will be fine.
Thank you!!
I was going to suggest a 3 stage filter system. Those can be had pretty cheap .... but I'm not sure it would be less than the RO unit @Aqua Man linked you to. That is a very good deal.
I can’t do it. I will take it from my sisters house. It will add a step that will become tiresome but I’m not into the RO thing.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Thank you!!

I can’t do it. I will take it from my sisters house. It will add a step that will become tiresome but I’m not into the RO thing.
Fair enough but $70 is going to cost ya much less than all the seeds and issues it costs you. Lugging around water is a pita big time.

Those units hook up to a sink so you don't need any work to plumb or anything.

Water softeners honestly a big no no and if you ppm is like 450 I feel like your gonna have issues with either. Not right off the hop as they may do ok to start bit as the grow progresses and demands for water pick up its more than likely to bite you in the ass big time.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Something I could be safe not attending?
They are safe. Think of it this way a 1000w hps if you can control the extra heat is cheap as fuck... the LEDs are not... and trust me I'm an LED fan all the way but....

You need to look at the grow as a whole. Having a great light and shit water, environmental control and inadequate equipment is far far worse and the light won't even matter. This would be setting g yourself up for almost sure failure.

After 1 grow you will make enough to upgrade the light. The other way you have a nice shiny kick ass paper weight.

Spend the money where needed to be successful

Latest posts

Top Bottom