Looks and smells like bunk weed

• Thread starter PhoenixFlower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Buzzzz

Buzzzz

This is important to me. How do I distinguish an honest seller from a dishonest one? This is my first ever grow and it's kind of special to me. I bought the seeds primarily because 1. I wanted a kush plant, and 2. I wanted it to produce extremely potent smoke.

It said and I'll quote "BC Kush offers strong effects and THC levels that are hard to beat." That's why I bought it. If I'm right and it's actually orange sherbet (and I strongly believe that it is) then I'm not going to get very strong smoke because it's listed as being "One of the rarest cannabis strains from unknown breeders who crossed Orange Cream, Purple Urkle, and Cherry Pie. It is easy to tell these parental genetics in the aroma, flavor, and effects. Orange Sherbet has a low THC level of about 14%, making it a perfect strain for novice and seasoned marijuana connoisseurs."

These things in my closet smell EXTREMELY reminiscent of orange creamsickle and the plant is also listed as having a 'creamy smooth taste' for its flavour profile. I've smelled and smoked kush before, it STINKS. These things do not stink, they're actually pleasant to be around, which is why I'm concerned.. I feel like I could literally sip tea in my room with old folks who've never smoked before because they're that pleasant smelling.

You wouldn't have a seed band depot recommendation for someone who sells EXTREMELY strong kush, would you? Or anyone here reading this post. I want kush seeds that will produce me some of the most potent, obnoxiously loud & EXTREMELY stinky plant possible. Just kush though, pure kush, not blueberry kush, or cheesecake kush or any other plant profile that's associated with food. I'd like to have to use a fan for my grow, and with these things there's really no reason to. The smell is sweet and contained to about two feet away from my closet. Very underwhelming, not like the type of weed I was warned and told about that people could smell all the way from outside of my house.

No, but I expect honest business, especially if I'm paying $130.

If you went out and bought a BMW and they gave you the keys to a Honda, I'd presume you wouldn't be too happy, would you?
Just think about a litter of well bred puppies, they look similiar but are all different. It's not like you asked for a pure sativa and you got an indica. You expect to much, and a BMW vs Honda is a car which is man made and run on a production line and not a result of natures intervention. What you want is an IBL that has been worked extensively,even selfed plants vary.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Just think about a litter of well bred puppies, they look similiar but are all different. It's not like you asked for a pure sativa and you got an indica. You expect to much, and a BMW vs Honda is a car which is man made and run on a production line and not a result of natures intervention. What you want is an IBL that has been worked extensively,even selfed plants vary.
Using your analogy, it's like buying a boxer and being given a chihuahua instead. I asked for a kush plant and got sold something else. Ironically enough, the plant is listed as being an IBL.

I listed my reasons for believing the plant isn't kush. And I think they're quite valid. You can read more about orange sherbet here if you'd like https://thelodgecannabis.com/strains/orange-sherbet/

And then compare it to this https://bcbuddepot.com/marijuana-seeds/bc-bud-depot/bc-kush-copy/

The two strains aren't even remotely the same.

Observationist

Observationist

Oh well here , wanna buy this then?

Jk it’s already in the air

Colder temps and starvation can cause this on any pheno (?)

5F0A40AB B158 4ADB B490 AD7B93CE2CA1
the rrock

the rrock

id say most times its growers fault seeds dont grow as described,novice grower in closet(not the ideal setup)Why dont ya contact breeder and ask for replacements if you so sure you got ripped off,personally i think your plant looks great considering

Blastfact

Blastfact

Using your analogy, it's like buying a boxer and being given a chihuahua instead. I asked for a kush plant and got sold something else. Ironically enough, the plant is listed as being an IBL.

I listed my reasons for believing the plant isn't kush. And I think they're quite valid. You can read more about orange sherbet here if you'd like https://thelodgecannabis.com/strains/orange-sherbet/

And then compare it to this https://bcbuddepot.com/marijuana-seeds/bc-bud-depot/bc-kush-copy/

The two strains aren't even remotely the same.
I think your making a mountain out of a mole hill on a subject you know nothing about. Your swallowing the marketing hook, line and sinker. Your taking perfect grown/finishing and touched up picture and comparing it to your plant which by the way looks great! And taking all this common hybrid, fufu, crap weed, high thc and marketing crap to heart. I don't think your in ANY position to call a breeder/seed bank/sales or packaging dept. out at all! If it wasn't for members of the Farm helping you. Your plants would have been dead at least four times over and now your a strain expert,,,, noobs

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

id say most times its growers fault seeds dont grow as described,novice grower in closet(not the ideal setup)Why dont ya contact breeder and ask for replacements if you so sure you got ripped off,personally i think your plant looks great considering
I doubt they'd give me new seeds or a refund. Besides, why would I want to take another spin with a company that I'm accusing of practising dishonest business practices? I would simply like the name of a reputable seed bank that I can trust to deliver me some top notch kush seeds.

Thank you for the compliment. I don't think there's anything wrong with the plants. My issue is that I don't think it's kush. I think it's orange sherbet being sold as 'kush' and I've listed the reasons why I believe it to be so. I even made a post way back at the beginning of October asking why the plants smelled 'sweet.' And that was before I knew what orange sherbet was.

First the smell, and now the abundance of orange pistils. And further, from the orange sherbet strain info I found this: "Unlike other marijuana strains that emit skunky fragrances, Orange Sherbet has a sweet aroma that can invite everyone to the room."

TSD

TSD

Honestly it's hard to say what you're gonna be shipped from anywhere because mistakes happen and humans aren't perfect, and some people suck... but I don't think you should freak out at the moment, I've had stuff smell sweet while growing and turn dank in the cure. At least you've got a good looking plant... plenty of folks here on the farm have been burned by sub par genetics... myself included.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Without being knowledgeable of the breeder - I’ll say could be just a different pheno? If ya are popping f2/or 3, which you may have been sold ? Then your gonna get a variety of phenos - really comes down the breeder and how stable there genetics are ? Next the seed bank when you buy from these guys in my opinion you never know what your getting? Lol most are honest but a lot are not! - I’m the end she is looking close to being finished and do you really care what the name is if it produces t try he desired affects ?
My bad for double replying, but I couldn't find the edit button. I wanted to add that the description from when I bought it had changed, the description before sounded a LOT better. which was the reason I bought it. I remember thinking "maybe I shouldn't do this" because I live in an apartment.

An easy to grow plant that is one of the most popular. It is of medium height and produces quality yields. Extremely strong odor and smoke. Take extra care for odor control when growing near neighbors. A good potent physical effect and arguably one of the strongest plants known at present.

There's no mention of needing odour control for the neighbours now. & I don't need odour control. So I wonder why they would have done such a thing..

Moshmen

Moshmen

I doubt they'd give me new seeds or a refund. Besides, why would I want to take another spin with a company that I'm accusing of practising dishonest business practices? I would simply like the name of a reputable seed bank that I can trust to deliver me some top notch kush seeds.

Thank you for the compliment. I don't think there's anything wrong with the plants. My issue is that I don't think it's kush. I think it's orange sherbet being sold as 'kush' and I've listed the reasons why I believe it to be so. I even made a post way back at the beginning of October asking why the plants smelled 'sweet.' And that was before I knew what orange sherbet was.

First the smell, and now the abundance of orange pistils. And further, from the orange sherbet strain info I found this: "Unlike other marijuana strains that emit skunky fragrances, Orange Sherbet has a sweet aroma that can invite everyone to the room."
I think you better switch to buying cones

Bellemeena

Bellemeena

The plant in my closet looks nothing like what was depicted in the photo. Further, just gauging from the smell of it, this weed smells like that garbage you used to buy off of sketchy drug dealers that would stand out in front of the mall downtown somewhere. The kind of weed that's not very strong, tastes really bad and gives you a headache.

I'm about 2-3 weeks from harvest, but I'm having serious doubts about the quality of this weed. It went from smelling like something really sweet and now the smell is almost akin to something that's been burnt. I've burnt canned vegetable soup to the bottom of the pot before when I'd go into the next room and get distracted on my game and the smell is something sort of akin to that. Not like a skunk or a fresh soiled diaper like some people have described. Very disappointed because I paid a premium on these seeds and I think I got burnt.

How do I go about not making the same mistake next time I purchase seeds? How do I know if the strain is actually quality, and potent, like I had hoped it would be? I'd imagine every seed seller is going to describe their weed to be the bomb, but how do I know who's telling the truth?
Could just be a slightly different pheno . You get the odd seed that isn’t true to the parentage or photo or description. I have one plant that has an almost offensive smell, but when harvested..smooth and kick ass strong . Give it a chance . The nuggies look and solid…sometimes even though the description might read 8 weeks to bloom ..in reality I find most wuality buds go 10-11 weeks to finish and look like their advertised pictures.

PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

I think you better switch to buying cones
Cones? What are cones?

I think I'll take everyone's advice and give the piff a chance. I'm still going to be highly critical of it though, and possibly look to getting it tested. Does anyone know the average cost for those services?

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Cones? What are cones?

I think I'll take everyone's advice and give the piff a chance. I'm still going to be highly critical of it though, and possibly look to getting it tested. Does anyone know the average cost for those services?
He meant clones. That way you skip the phenos and get a copy of the mom guaranteed.

Testing is done on a state by state basis, not yet legal to ship between states, so it depends on your local lab presence. cheaper where there is competition.

Wolfe

Wolfe

This is important to me. How do I distinguish an honest seller from a dishonest one? This is my first ever grow and it's kind of special to me. I bought the seeds primarily because 1. I wanted a kush plant, and 2. I wanted it to produce extremely potent smoke.

It said and I'll quote "BC Kush offers strong effects and THC levels that are hard to beat." That's why I bought it. If I'm right and it's actually orange sherbet (and I strongly believe that it is) then I'm not going to get very strong smoke because it's listed as being "One of the rarest cannabis strains from unknown breeders who crossed Orange Cream, Purple Urkle, and Cherry Pie. It is easy to tell these parental genetics in the aroma, flavor, and effects. Orange Sherbet has a low THC level of about 14%, making it a perfect strain for novice and seasoned marijuana connoisseurs."

These things in my closet smell EXTREMELY reminiscent of orange creamsickle and the plant is also listed as having a 'creamy smooth taste' for its flavour profile. I've smelled and smoked kush before, it STINKS. These things do not stink, they're actually pleasant to be around, which is why I'm concerned.. I feel like I could literally sip tea in my room with old folks who've never smoked before because they're that pleasant smelling.

You wouldn't have a seed band depot recommendation for someone who sells EXTREMELY strong kush, would you? Or anyone here reading this post. I want kush seeds that will produce me some of the most potent, obnoxiously loud & EXTREMELY stinky plant possible. Just kush though, pure kush, not blueberry kush, or cheesecake kush or any other plant profile that's associated with food. I'd like to have to use a fan for my grow, and with these things there's really no reason to. The smell is sweet and contained to about two feet away from my closet. Very underwhelming, not like the type of weed I was warned and told about that people could smell all the way from outside of my house.

No, but I expect honest business, especially if I'm paying $130.

If you went out and bought a BMW and they gave you the keys to a Honda, I'd presume you wouldn't be too happy, would you?
I will test a new breeder or two every year. I have my own line and I know it’s good so they all get to compete with mine. This year in house had a lousy germ rate and their black cherry punch was not the best in my garden considering it was the highest priced. Daskreets white label hendrix headband is the dank of ole. It’s that stuff that has the looks and smells not of fruit. But more of sour and dank. It had no picture when I bought it and it was reasonably priced. Unfortunately it was limited and it’s gone now. But two phenos of it I grew and both were fire. The breeder on daskreets Hendrix headband was Collin from ethos. I’ve grown other stuff of his and it had a wider pheno range so yeah it’s tough to say and few and far between to find those super stinky dank plants you’re talking about. Kinda like old school skunk. It’s really hard to find the actual stench you’re looking for. In the last 5 or 6 years this hendrix headband is closest thing to the old diesel and kush I’ve had yet. Headband has kush and diesel. Keep looking for those types of plants maybe you’ll get lucky like me and find one.

7EB1E7A1 F60D 4B40 AE6E E4F1937586BD
41EF503E D097 447B 998D 0BFCA4E5222C
steamroller

steamroller

If you look a picture and think I want that, then clones are for you.
There are 3 great members here that offer fire.
If you understand genetics, then seed may offer a wider variety of potential.
You need to understand that even with the same parents, you and your brothers and sisters are not the same. 🤔
Clones are what you see is what you get. Bud Goodman, Trustfall and Impulsive Grower [ the 3 members here] all offer FIRE.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Cones? What are cones?

50 bucks at Kaycha Labs (plus shipping), will get you a complete cannabinoid and terpene profile. They have several locations across the US so decide which one is closest and cheapest to ship to. I highly recommend Kaycha, their website is easy to navigate, and they will store your COA's on your account as soon as they complete testing, and are available on there pretty much forever.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
He meant clones. That way you skip the phenos and get a copy of the mom guaranteed.

Testing is done on a state by state basis, not yet legal to ship between states, so it depends on your local lab presence. cheaper where there is competition.
If he ships it as Hemp I don't see any problems with that. He could just be a hemp farmer getting his crop tested for compliance. Still a risk, of course, but doubtful they're going to pull a package getting shipped to a lab.

Edit to add- They (Kaycha Labs) also have a location in Tempe, Arizona, if (by assumption of your username) you are in fact in Arizona, that would be a viable option.

Last edited:
PhoenixFlower

PhoenixFlower

Just so you all know, I was wrong. ALL the plants are sprouting purple leaves right now, I'll upload pics to my journal in a bit.

I'm so ecstatic seeing the purple ^_^

Latest posts

Top Bottom