Made New Vortex Tea Brewer Today

• Thread starter oscar169
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I guess my question wasn't so much with regards to capacity as it was specific to creating that vortex. I have a 45gal brewer, I use a square rolling trash can and then configured my PVC manifold so that almost the entire bottom of the trash can emits air vigorously. So, I'm wondering if what I've got going is ineffective, or what. I don't think it is, but I am, as ever, curious. I can't test DO at this time, only scope through a student scope.
I'm thinking Cap might have a scope/ DO Meter. maybe now that he is brewing with the same setup he can scope/DO they brew to see how active it is. The one thing I have noticed after using this for sometime is the foam that it develops seems to be different then when I used like the 5 gallon pail, if that makes any sense. I think the Vortex setup is about the only design that will give you zero dead spots, heck if anything it will give you a nice winter project..:)

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Yeah...the foam is insane in the Vortex. If I don't add Vegetable oil.....I have a BIG MESS to clean up. I get my 15 gallon tank on Monday. Super stoked to get it set up. @oscar169 do you think the AP-60 would be undersized in this application?
@CelticEBE Here is the Cheapest AP-100 I found lately on the net.

The Groff

The Groff

What an inspirational thread!! Thank you! Going to attempt a mini-vortex build. yeee-ha!

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Update, So I"m trying out a 90* on the end of the Discharge inside the brewer.

This Batch
12 Gallons RO
5 TBSP of each Root,Foliar,Nute, Packs
500 mL Hi-Brixs
100 mL Liquid Sea kelp
3 Cups EWC dumped straight into Brewer.

IMG 1292
IMG 1294

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
careful with the highbrix it's super acidic brother.
@Capulator I was using the Black Strap from the Hydro Store but they can't get it anymore, not sure why, What is your current Recipe's that your using with the Vortex ?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Why not just get bulk dry molasses, oscar? It's incredibly cheap and does the exact same thing.
I'm learning new things everyday. Where you getting yours at, Is it as good as the liquid version that I have been using ? I'm thinking some where I read there was a different between the two not sure.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
@Capulator I was using the Black Strap from the Hydro Store but they can't get it anymore, not sure why, What is your current Recipe's that your using with the Vortex ?

Brother you can buy it at the grocery store.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

I've been using the high brix as well. For a 3 gallon brew I have had to add about 80ml of ph up (diluted AN ph up 1:10) to get it to 7.0 before I add my EWC and Bene's. With the dry molasses and brewing it might be better to look into the POWDERED version. I just ordered 20 lbs of dry molasses for top dressing my coco so I can cut the sugar in my reservoir, but I don't think the stuff I am getting would be suitable for brewing as it is sprayed on to roughage.

This is a link to s powdered molasses probably more suited to brewing.

Here's a link to what I got to topdress my coco with. Though they say you can use it for brewing as well.
https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/molasses-powder/

I know Progress Earth makes a good dry molasses powder as well....think it's called Earth Juice.

On a different note....I got the wrong freaking tank. The bulkhead on this thing is crazy and I think I am just going to swap it out with one that will allow for full drainage. @oscar169 did you use a uni-seal for the return going into the tank?

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
I've been using the high brix as well. For a 3 gallon brew I have had to add about 80ml of ph up (diluted AN ph up 1:10) to get it to 7.0 before I add my EWC and Bene's. With the dry molasses and brewing it might be better to look into the POWDERED version. I just ordered 20 lbs of dry molasses for top dressing my coco so I can cut the sugar in my reservoir, but I don't think the stuff I am getting would be suitable for brewing as it is sprayed on to roughage.

This is a link to s powdered molasses probably more suited to brewing.

Here's a link to what I got to topdress my coco with. Though they say you can use it for brewing as well.
https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/molasses-powder/

I know Progress Earth makes a good dry molasses powder as well....think it's called Earth Juice.

On a different note....I got the wrong freaking tank. The bulkhead on this thing is crazy and I think I am just going to swap it out with one that will allow for full drainage. @oscar169 did you use a uni-seal for the return going into the tank?

You need the same tank me and Cap have, you want the 2" Full Draining Tank..;) Its a 2 " double slip bulkhead fitting, you will glue the end that's on the outside of the tank, and then inside you Don't glue, you want to be able to adjust and move the inside PVC pipe so you get a good vortex, ie If I run a 13 gallon batch you need to be able to raise the inside pipe, If you do a 5 gallon batch need to be able to lower it..

Here are some pics I snapped
IMG 1297
IMG 1299
IMG 1300

Last edited:
CelticEBE

CelticEBE

You need the same tank me and Cap have, you want the 2" Full Draining Tank..;) Its a 2 " double slip bulkhead fitting, you will glue the end that's on the outside of the tank, and then inside you Don't glue, you want to be able to adjust and move the inside PVC pipe so you get a good vortex, ie If I run a 13 gallon batch you need to be able to raise the inside pipe, If you do a 5 gallon batch need to be able to lower it..

Here a some pics a snapped
View attachment 371437 View attachment 371439View attachment 371449
Yeah....I got the Norwesco one...not the Ace. I think with the right bulkhead fitting it will be okay though. I just have to wrench the one on there off of it and measure the size of the hole so I get the right bulkhead.

Thanks Oscar.....I appreciate your help brother.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I'm learning new things everyday. Where you getting yours at, Is it as good as the liquid version that I have been using ? I'm thinking some where I read there was a different between the two not sure.
Dave got it for me, a place where he gets his whey and a buncha spices and stuff, I wanna say bulkfoods.com? But I'm not sure.
Brother you can buy it at the grocery store.
Yeah, but it's expensive now. Dry is a lot cheaper. Let me see if I can find a link. Yeah, here we go, this is where he got it: https://www.bulkfoods.com/search?or...er=search&orderway=desc&search_query=molasses

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
@Seamaiden I'll post it over here that way I'm not posting all over about the brewer..;)

So, I'm in the middle of breaking down my vortex brewer (5gal jug), thinking about changes I want to make (better grommets, 45° vs 90° returns, etc.), and I noticed an inconsistency among those I've seen which is never touched on: open versus closed uprights.

That is, at the top of the uprights, is it better to use a 90° elbow going directly back into the container, or to use a T with one end going back into the container, and the other open?

I have mine closed, it has a 90* then goes into the tank, I also have been testing it with another 90* on the pipe inside the brewer, thus far the 90* inside is make a deeper, faster Vortex, b/c all the water coming out of the 90 * is all heading in the right direction, none of the water it splashing counter clockwise , I don't use any grommets only Bulk Heads, they seem to hold up really well, more money up front but the last longer. If you don't have open upright then your going to have to drill a hole in the lid to let the air out..

oscar169

oscar169

Farming 🌱
Supporter
Here it is I have tested every different type of discharge ends inside the tank, the Best results were with the 45* then to a 90* I don't think I could get any faster or deeper Vortex

11 Gallons RO in the Brewer when Pics taking, using this setup
img_1292-jpg.371060

This is with out a Flash Light
IMG 1305

This With a flash Light to show how deep it is.
IMG 1306

These pics are after I dumped in 1 Red Solo Cup of EWC & 1 Solo Cup Ancient Forest

IMG 1309

Top Bottom