Mahavishnu’s Growchestra (Critical Plus, Widow, SSH, CBD)

• Thread starter _mahavishnu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

I figure it’s about time I show the forums what I’ve got going on. I’ll probably update this weekly or biweekly and continue it through multiple grows unless somebody convinces me that’s it’s better to make new ones. Thanks to @sshz for bringing me to this forum especially, his Orange-gasm thread and current Sweet Zombie grow are inspirational to say the least.

Without further ado, the details on my first indoor grow:

After an extended 7-week veg, day 5 of flower today. Four plants, four strains, 4 styles of growth. I know that this was a bad idea. Clockwise from back left, the tallest is Seedsman SSH, then Dinafem Critical Plus 2.0, Seedsman Cream & Cheese 1:1 CBD:THC, and Seedsman Widow. The CP2.0 and SSH are mine, the Widow and CBD are my friend’s.

The original plan was to basically manifold each plant, but the Critical is the only one that ended up getting the full treatment. My friend and I topped her, the widow and the SSH early on, but the widow got topped down to the 5th or so node while the critical and SSH were down to the 2nd.

The critical took to training well, but the SSH snapped a branch the first time I tried training the new shoots, the stems grew too thick too quickly. The entire time, the SSH has been freaky vigorous with massive thick stems and leaves, and inch-long preflower hairs. I let its broken branch heal and kept it level with the other one by training the main stem diagonally instead, and it’s still the tallest plant of the four. It’s been defoliated slightly to give light to the lower branches.

All four plants were put into solo cups full of happy frog after germination, which burned the shit out of all of them. The original CBD seedling never got over it and we killed it 2-3 weeks in, which is why that plant, it’s replacement, is untouched. It’s more than caught up and is now 2nd in height.

After the first topping, the widow exploded with branches and so my friend decided to stick to LST from then on, keeping them mostly even in height. It now has more tops than are worth counting and is effectively self-SCROGged.

The 4 are obviously totally uneven in height but hopefully we have enough light coverage to accommodate them. They’re under one sun system 315W CMH, a shitty viparspectra blurple 300W on the left, and a mars hydro 600 on the right. Not exactly optimal, and I’m not even going to depict the trapeze work we have suspending them right now, but it’s more than enough light for the girls so far, and we can use the two LED fixtures to work with the plants’ different heights while the CMH stays directly overhead.

All four are in 7gal fabric pots with 5-6gal of Fox Farm Ocean Forest and Happy frog in a roughly 3:1 ratio, amended with lava rock, rice hulls, and compost. They’re mulched with a light layer of rice hulls as well. I intend for these to become no-till ROLS pots to reuse each grow after re-amending and letting them cook for a bit.

Since going into the pots early September, they’ve been given a cycle of plain water, water with mild silica, and water with aloe concentrate. They’ve been top-dressed once with alfalfa and kelp meal, fed one dose of alfalfa sprout tea, and they just got an inch of build-a-soil’s build-a-flower blend when we flipped, which is basically heavily amended fish compost.

I intend to give them another light dose of alfalfa sprout tea once they finish stretching, top dress with barley in a few weeks, top dress again with alfalfa/neem meal around halfway through flower, and let them coast from there. They’ve been foliar sprayed once with Mammoth Canna-Control, which I had decent luck with on my last plant outdoors this summer, and I’ll spray once, maybe twice before harvest with some BT to be safe, but I haven’t seen anything in the grow space so far.

The space runs about 75 F with lights on and I have a dehumidifier capping humidity at 55%. The dehumidifier is a new addition since starting flower and I’ll probably crank it down to 40-45% by harvest time. Up to this point, aside from the hot happy frog soil burning the girls as seedlings, this grow has been almost completely without issue and I’m hoping tight climate control and generous organic foods will keep the girls happy through harvest.

I’m excited to see the variation between these four strains, and look forward to using this experience to inform future grows and my selections in strains. Each girl is such an individual. The SSH stem rub smells like genuine human shit, it’s offensive too close to the nose. The critical plus smells of burnt rubber and bubblegum, and the CBD and widow both are very green, piney and peppery. I intend to experiment with edibles or hash from one or more plants, identifying which is best for resin production, medical benefits, etc. After this grow finishes up, I have two packs of Bodhi beans to run: Herer Hashplant and an unnamed cross, Sunshine Daydream x Stardawg Guava. I could use a hand deciding between those two, if anyone wants to chime in!

Actually, chime in on anything at all. This is only my second grow ever, and my first indoors. My outdoor plant was pretty happy with this organic regimen, but she was in a much larger 20gal pot, and she didn’t grow large enough to utilize all that soil and ended up N-burnt at harvest, from my alfalfa amendments building up. I don’t expect that’ll be an issue with this grow, since these plants are almost the size she was in pots 1/3 the volume, and overall haven’t been top-dressed as frequently. But again, I’ll listen to anything anyone has to say. If any aspect of what they’re eating seems suspect, like they’re getting overloaded or like I’m not addressing a specific nutrient need, let me know. I look forward to sharing this run and future ones with all of you, thanks for reading so far to those of you that do.

Mahavishnus growchestra critical plus widow ssh cbd
Mahavishnus growchestra critical plus widow ssh cbd 2
Mahavishnus growchestra critical plus widow ssh cbd 3
Mahavishnus growchestra critical plus widow ssh cbd 4
Mahavishnus growchestra critical plus widow ssh cbd 5

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Love it! A thought: you can probably just prop up the pots of the short plants with something you don't mind getting wet? That's what I do at the end of stretch as I'm always growing different strains. Gives me a cheating evenish canopy for the main flowering stage.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Love it! A thought: you can probably just prop up the pots of the short plants with something you don't mind getting wet? That's what I do at the end of stretch as I'm always growing different strains. Gives me a cheating evenish canopy for the main flowering stage.

I’m reading your grow right now haha! Thanks so much for the kind words. I actually had the thought immediately after I posted this thread, I’ve got a pile of bricks out back, I’ll just stack some under the critical and the widow to get them even with the other two 🤝

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Figured I’d show what my last, first ever grow looked like too. This plant got essentially all the same things I’m giving my current 4 girls. She got N-burnt toward the end though, and was way limited in direct sunlight throughout flower, so she only yielded a single oz of weirdly structured, stringy buds. Sure gets me ripped though. I have an oz of trim leftover as well that I’ll be making edibles from shortly.
14A5E19B BA60 4C7C A53F 0F48C383F9C0

85B26213 A7B3 4EDC 8B9A 43DAE76458A4

9BC7B554 6C58 4F10 90FB AF45883B7437
299D94B4 01AB 4235 B772 2D59CCA6BF47
169E7B51 B081 4E9E B3A6 A7F4F01740FA

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Not the prettiest girl at the ball but looks aren't everything........... what's it taste/smell like?

The smell in the jar is still pretty sweet, the remnants of hay smell sadly. It’s improving slowly though as it cures and showing more of her true scent. When handled or ground up, it’s pure gasoline and super-ripe berries. On the plant, I thought it reminded me of mango kush. The taste is faint but it costs your mouth with a mix of earthy mint and obvious green-ness.

The high is honestly the best I’ve experienced in months. It’s subtly euphoric and enhances the experience of most anything you‘re doing/watching/listening to but I never find myself overwhelmed or anxious. Minutes after a hit I feel my head expanding like a balloon, and a warm blanket over the neck and shoulders. Great for relaxing, even though it doesn’t put me down it makes falling asleep much easier. At the same time, if I’m up and active I can really focus and zone in on what I’m doing. Makes chores a bit more fun, and really good for playing an instrument.

Ha , cool ,John Mclaughlin and Carlos Santana had a Shri chinmoy center where I grew up , they used to jam love divine and invite visitors to listen .... Very cool

Mahavishnu’s “Visions Of The Emerald Beyond”, and Santana’s “Caravanserai” are what convinced me to really go backwards and explore actual original jazz music, and then the jazz-funk Herbie Hancock albums I found on that road convinced me to purchase a bass and a sax. Add my outdoor grow to the list and this year hasn’t been a total loss LOL

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Mahavishnu’s “Visions Of The Emerald Beyond”, and Santana’s “Caravanserai” are what convinced me to really go backwards and explore actual original jazz music, and then the jazz-funk Herbie Hancock albums I found on that road convinced me to purchase a bass and a sax. Add my outdoor grow to the list and this year hasn’t been a total loss LOL
I love this music! Just checked it out for the first time last night... Have you checked out james mason's rhythm of life? Another jazz-funk fusion album I have been vibing with.

Reactions: PK1
_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

I love this music! Just checked it out for the first time last night... Have you checked out james mason's rhythm of life? Another jazz-funk fusion album I have been vibing with.
Glad to share the goodness! I haven’t heard that album, I’ll definitely check it out

As far as my ladies go, there’s really very little to report. Today marks the start of week 2, they’re stretching but not insanely. They all look happy as can be, and I’m just giving plain water right now. This part of the grow is honestly boring, I almost wish I had something to work on. We did move the tall plants and short plants in line with eachother. I still plan to boost the short ones to get them closer to the CMH, but so far I haven’t felt like pulling bricks out of the pile and washing them off. I’d probably bleach em just to be sure they don’t bring anything in, they’ve been in and on the mud for years. That’ll happen, but for now I figure stronger supplemental light for the shorter plants and weaker blurple for the taller ones should about account for their different distances from the CMH as it is.

The smell of the Critical Plus has become much sweeter and fruitier, less rubbery and sharp smelling. The SSH has transitioned from the smell of human shit to the smell of bleach, very concerning lol

58FB7847 57AE 4C6C A0D7 AC7D81A97871

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Glad to share the goodness! I haven’t heard that album, I’ll definitely check it out
Sorry I thought you'd find this funny. Headphones and a notebook: big fan. This is stoned Milson re: Mahavishnu Orchestra.

IMG 20201016 121233687

"Oh f*ck yes this is ear velvet I feel my soul in like a f*cking hazy vibe f*ck this feels so stoney or maybe this LA Confidential has me super duper f*cked up.

Holy f*ck I am high"

Yeah so great enthusiasm and limited vocabulary from Milson listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra for the first time! I think I was trying to say I felt their level was like they were smoking haze? Idk.😆😂🤷‍♂️

(I will often write a page of haiku or draw or something while listening to music if the mood strikes me, but there I just vibed out)

Last edited:
_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Sorry I thought you'd find this funny. Headphones and a notebook: big fan. This is stoned Milson re: Mahavishnu Orchestra.

View attachment 1044447
"Oh f*ck yes this is ear velvet I feel my soul in like a f*cking hazy vibe f*ck this feels so stoney or maybe this LA Confidential has me super duper f*cked up.

Holy f*ck I am high"

Yeah so great enthusiasm and limited vocabulary from Milson listening to Mahavishnu Orchestra for the first time! I think I was trying to say I felt their level was like they were smoking haze? Idk.😆😂🤷‍♂️

(I will often write a page of haiku or draw or something while listening to music if the mood strikes me, but there I just vibed out)

I’m glad you checked them out!! That’s definitely a fair impression of what they sound like, except that I believe John McLaughlin himself was totally abstinent. I guess I’d make some abrasive music if I didn’t smoke too LOL

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Starting to see some movement today with lots of budsites popping up. I was mistaken about the day we flipped, we’re on day 12 of flower today actually. Stretch wasn’t too crazy on any of these, maybe due to all the supplemental LED light.

899D1FE1 5086 41D9 B652 9495CFC29311
BA7F8BC0 5038 40C4 B863 D35DBC785A45
D4E8233A 9A2C 4898 A252 3E0EF03EF18B

A918D8DE EB43 4E1B 841E 0579D33136F2
3022B76D E568 48AE AED2 DED545A10AAF

Underside shot of the critical plus. I’m pretty happy with how the training turned out on her
71911EEC D5B0 4D09 9ECF FF2EAF4D9EA7

The SSH is showing a strong tendency toward red-purple pigmentation where the UV from the CMH strikes it
60189870 48CB 46EB 8DBC 699EAEEA09C1

Since these plants ought to be finishing up around Christmastime, I might try to convince my friend to let them get cold toward the end and see what kind of colors we get.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Critical Plus 2.0 is healthily in the lead as far as flowering goes! Smells are changing rapidly now, she smells less like gum and more like pepper and just a trace of fruit now. The haze is less bleachy but it’s still the only thing I can smell when I do check it. The cream & cheese CBD with its single stalk is the tallest now, having fully made up for her shorter veg cycle. The widow still just smells like green veggies but she’s packing on fast too.
74D3F025 81A9 424A A120 35D6579DC393

B82F6F21 050F 488D 98F2 948D5DB1A2DD

mysticepipedon

mysticepipedon

Share the goods if you got em! I’m spinning Weather Report’s “Black Market” right now as I type this. The bass performance on their song Barbary Coast is one of my favorites of all-time. Jaco was untouchable
I was just listening to Jeff Beck's version of Billy Cobham's Stratus.
Also a Return To Forever fan, and, of course, Di Meola and Stanley Clark.

Not much of a concert scene this year, but in the last few I got to see Di Meola, Beck, Marcus Miller and maybe about 5 years ago I saw Billy Cobham.

I'd see any of the greats from that era, if given the chance. They're getting pretty old now...

Top Bottom