Mahavishnu’s Growchestra (Critical Plus, Widow, SSH, CBD)

• Thread starter _mahavishnu
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This whole grow has been an attempt to start a ROLS setup, so 90% organic dry amendments. Original soil is a mix of happy frog and ocean forest, with lava rock and rice hulls mixed in. One dressing of alfalfa and kelp meal in veg, the addition of 1-2” of the build-a-flower mix at flip, a dressing of kelp and neem meal last week.

In their water they got aloe flakes and GH Armor-Si(silica) alternating during veg, and since flip have gotten mostly Fox Farms Big Bloom every other watering or so. This week they’ve been given a compost tea with Neptune’s Harvest 2-6-4 (fish protein hydrolysate, molasses, seaweed, sulfate of potash) and two initial doses of TPS Cal-Mag. I know some of this isn’t organic but I’m ok with that as long as the soil and rhizosphere are healthy.

Lastly I have some regular ol Fox Farms Grow Big 6-4-4 if I need to really pull the stops and get them fed ASAP. I’ve been banking on dry amendments and soil microbes giving the plant what it needs up until now.
Good good just ruling out a salinity issue. Yep all in the watering and that plant in particular likes a bit more nitrogen by the looks of it.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Good good just ruling out a salinity issue. Yep all in the watering and that plant in particular likes a bit more nitrogen by the looks of it.

I think I’ll continue alternating feed and water days like I have, but switch to the 2-6-4 for feed days. They should start to get N from the recent top-dressing eventually as well. Would keeping the cal-mag at half strength be a good idea?

Thanks the both of you for your input. I especially want the critical to reach her potential. Once these girls reach the finish line, the pots will get re-amended, cover-cropped and left to cook for a bit while drying/trimming/relaxing happens. After that though, it’s Bodhi time. That’s when things will get real fun 😁

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think I’ll continue alternating feed and water days like I have, but switch to the 2-6-4 for feed days. They should start to get N from the recent top-dressing eventually as well. Would keeping the cal-mag at half strength be a good idea?

Thanks the both of you for your input. I especially want the critical to reach her potential. Once these girls reach the finish line, the pots will get re-amended, cover-cropped and left to cook for a bit while drying/trimming/relaxing happens. After that though, it’s Bodhi time. That’s when things will get real fun 😁
If using RO keep the cal mag. If not I would drop it and just add som epsom salt (mag sulfate) 1-2g per gal. I usually find the cal mag ratio a lil off and the increased mag hps balance it out while the sulfur helps boost terps and flavoniods

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Checked on the girls this morning and it seems like the yellowing hasn’t progressed any in the last day so that seems to be taken care of 😁 I did some extra sealing around windows, and now the lights are keeping the room at a comfortable 75F with no supplemental heat, even with temps below 45 outside. RH sits between 42-47. Overall happy with the situation out there again now that nutrients are sorted.

I said I’d try 3/4gal every day but that’s silly. I’ll try 1 1/2gal every other day instead so that the girls have adequate time to dry out in between.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Critical Plus 2.0
C2675EA9 0018 44D7 86E7 8791F21B1476
4C286875 6D5E 44AF 9D41 8BFDA646BE70

White Widow
39DFE395 C3F2 48C1 8CF5 CB62114D8698
AC7F964E B0A4 4C8D AB5C 06E13088E590

Cream & Cheese CBD
5B561AF2 A70D 49F1 914C 9EDE6EF80355
B0E993D4 F586 4BB4 B3E4 AEBF79E1B385

SSH
5CE7EA89 AE3E 44EF 988E C9ED34713507
09CDD975 CE3A 441E A2A1 FA7800D8C72B

I definitely feel like the critical slowed her pace a bit while deficient in this last week, hopefully she starts blowing up again soon.

Trained the widow to open her up some and get light into the canopy which had an overnight effect on every budsite. Moving much faster now than she has been.

The cream and cheese is impressive as hell, competing with the critical in frostiness and certainly the healthiest, probably because she hasn’t exhausted the soil yet while the others started to run out. I guess you can’t beat the development when you let the plant grow that singular apical bud like it wants to.

The SSH just makes me laugh when I look at her. Such a beast. Her buds are second in smell behind the critical, very sharp and peppery to contrast the crit’s citrusy sweetness. If I had to guess, yield from largest to smallest will be critical, widow, SSH, cheese.

Going to remove whatever leaves are blocking budsites tomorrow, which will be mid-week 5, and feed with the 2-6-4 and some epsom salt. Hopefully smooth sailing resumes from here on out. Halfway there.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Still some mild yellowing going on with both the critical and the ssh. I feel like I’ve been too reactionary this whole time and I’ve introduced too many new variables. pH up and cal-mag probably haven’t been friendly to the microbes in the soil, and there’s definitely undigested neem and kelp sitting there that the plant isn’t eating.

I wish my first moves would’ve been to check the soil pH and otherwise encourage more soil activity to make the amendments available. Something like another layer of compost scratched in and then a thick layer of mulch to keep things more consistently moist. Maybe a flush beforehand with mild tea. Basically, sticking to the methods that got me this far.

That may potentially be my next move, because between the dose of synthetic Fox farms veg food, a few feedings of the Neptune’s harvest, the compost, and the recent meals, I’m pretty sure there’s enough N in there. There has to be, right??

They don’t look that bad anyways, but the critical has lost plenty of yellow leaves on top of what I defoliated when she was healthy. If I left the leaves to die and fall off on their own, she’d be much uglier. Same for the SSH.

9BA815BC 2E02 4661 A138 E1853A8E479D

4D234E95 D36D 453A BBA7 31C67023F8DC

The CBD plant is no doubt the frostiest now, amazingly
ED8FF8A0 F8E2 4BD0 9F99 F3C5CA3E4D03

And here you can see some of the SSH, sans dying leaves, to the left, and the bush of widow, who has mostly rebounded from the original yellowing and is finally picking up the pace
03B9C708 058C 414D 857D C03C2014AD02

Open to all your thoughts and prayers as always

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Buddy showed up with a sparkling new 600W HPS to throw in the room so that’s news! More cavalry to get these girls thru the finish line strong.

241C4F96 48E9 42DA 847A FF182A6349DA

This grow area will be *much* easier on the eyes next time around. I’ve said it before, but you should thank me that I’ve never posted the way these lights are hung/maneuvered. It’s disgusting. Like a black widow web of polycord.

Critical is mostly stopped yellowing, while the SSH continues to starve for nitrogen. Even while feeding full dosage (2TBSP once per week) of the 2-6-4 food. Brown blotches as well suggesting P deficiency or lockout. I soaked the girls with Recharge last night to see if that gets the SSH straightened out over the next couple days, and hopefully it otherwise boosts the rest.

If anyone looks hungry moving forward, I might just say fuck it. I’ve got a bottle of pure blend pro grow now, and I’m not really afraid to use it. As much as I just said I’d go back to my organic roots to get them right, if that doesn’t work then that goes out the window LOL

Critical
05DA83C1 3209 43FE B854 0E3DC2D5F486

B70A8965 2789 43DD 8BFE D91596AD7459

SSH
32013C8D CD82 4E24 98E7 FEA4302859D0
5E743701 127F 45BE A85C D7A7F761DD63

CBD (holy shit, imo)
AD85D753 45FB 4D71 BD98 A382DC06DB02

Widow
8C604B75 ED9F 4410 830D D396BA300ACC
B8421D3E 5B17 486C BDE0 4B5A9CA6AFDA

!!AND A SPECIAL GUEST!!
F6324E03 91DE 44A7 9A0B 6BD272149987

Meet this little idiot. A clone of the critical you may have seen in some pictures before. I don’t care to hold on to this particular plant, it was just a safety net when I first topped her. So we strung this fool up to see what she will do. I’m hoping for a solid blunt worth of bud.

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

The mix of blurple LED, sunlike LED, 4200k CMH and HPS makes for some unique lighting if I don’t use flash for closeup pics. Kind of pretty though so I’ll share these for today. Day 46F.

In order, Cream & Cheese CBD, Super Silver Haze, White Widow, Critical Plus 2.0
C9C6320A 353B 487A 967B 425467C70DF5

37BAFE59 5A5D 4E3A B8DB C5E57334FF40

A8963E5D 41D2 4AFD 8665 24644F3915CB

F1411C19 EDC0 41AF 86C7 DB85C9769212

You can see that the widow is well behind the others in maturity, but she’s picking up now that the canopy is a little more open.

Haze and critical are deficient no more, I fed with pureblend pro grow and calmag once at about 1050ppm to catch up, and again at about 850. I’ll keep that steady and then start to taper in the next week or so. The combination of those nutes with the recharge seems to be keeping the girls very happy now. I’m overall grateful to have fought deficiencies for over a month and not screwed any of these girls up too badly. My only regret is the critical’s lack of foliage.

Thinking more and more of the next run now, it’ll be time to germinate soon enough. We’ve agreed upon a 7x7’ area with 9 plants, giving them 2.3x2.3’ per plant. Probably getting more 7gal smart pots, mixing promix with our existing spent soil to make up the difference, then sticking to the pureblend from start to finish. I’ll also likely get another light to adequately cover that area and ditch one or both blurples. At least one of them will be helping me flip clones to sex my Bodhis.

Here’s the whole gang. I can’t wait to redo this space with panda film LOL

3F986989 56E2 40A1 978F F36CFDB3C34B

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Out here feeding the ladies right now, accidentally brushed my finger against a sugar leaf on one of the CBD’s lower buds. Instantly sticky fingers. Took a deep sniff and this has to be one of the most enjoyable smells I’ve ever gotten from weed. Like straight up bubblegum and fake grape flavoring. This plant, to me, has always been second-last in priority (she’s my friend’s baby), with the widow dead last, but this strain could turn out to be a real favorite.

The SSH still mostly smells like poop, the critical plus 2.0 smells like funky fermented fruit and lemon like most every review says, and the widow just...just barely...smells like weed. Really barely anything even from rubbing a sugar leaf. Whatever, maybe she’ll be a sleeper, take 13 weeks to finish and blow every other girl in here out of the water. Doubt it but maybe.

I know the last music I mentioned was “Aja,” well it’s still Aja. Sorry. I’ve been hearing the bassline from “Peg” in my head during every waking moment.

I’m deep in my Dan phase right now

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

I love Steely Dan........... they have a couple great albums.

Aside from Aja what are your faves? I’ve gone through Can’t Buy A Thrill pretty well too. Not to show my age, but lots of memories of being in the passenger seat with one of my parents and hearing “Do It Again” on the classic rock station. And “Dirty Work”. And “Kings”. And “Reelin’ In The Years”. I had no idea they were behind all these songs until I sat down and listened to that record.

sshz

sshz

With so many bands, stuff can sound the same or similar. These guys were great musicians, and were able to write and perform complex songs in a great variety of sounds. You have to be a good musician to play jazz, and a lot of their music was "jazz-like". Check this out........

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

With so many bands, stuff can sound the same or similar. These guys were great musicians, and were able to write and perform complex songs in a great variety of sounds. You have to be a good musician to play jazz, and a lot of their music was "jazz-like". Check this out........

Yeah, I’m a decent guitarist but the kind of changes they play through, especially on all the songs from Aja, are too much for me. Peg might be the only relatively simple one on the album.

I do enjoy more intense jazz fusion stuff like Chick Corea, where they’re so far out there and removed from regular chord progressions that you have no choice but to stop thinking about it

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Now that this room is sort of sealed up, even with the cool weather we’re pushing 79. I’ve been wanting to keep the room cooler than that, but I suppose it does help me to reduce the likelihood of mold and mildew in the room without me having to crank down on the dehumidifier, which already runs near constantly. And I understand that’s not a bad temperature anyways, but I do feel like it risks some of the most volatile terps.

There’s new hairs on every plant today which brings great joy to my heart. Mostly on the top of each bud site on the critical, but top to bottom on the haze in particular.

Still fighting a small population of fungus gnats with a drench of Mammoth CannControl and DE every few days. They seem to be dwindling, and they’re too few to really do any damage, I think, but I still don’t want to be picking them out of buds during the trim.

The sort-of mainlined critical plus will probably be the only girl with no larf. There’s tons on every other plant, but that’s alright with me. Those will all be used for edibles, maybe even one big “full spectrum” batch incorporating every plant

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Favorite Steely Dan song.

That just gave me a major hit of deja vu. The guitar line starting at 3:52 was definitely lifted by Nintendo’s studio band for a track on Mario Kart, I just can’t remember what track or the context of it. I can hear it in my head though, MK just did it with some extra chromatic notes added in

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That just gave me a major hit of deja vu. The guitar line starting at 3:52 was definitely lifted by Nintendo’s studio band for a track on Mario Kart, I just can’t remember what track or the context of it. I can hear it in my head though, MK just did it with some extra chromatic notes added in

some trivia-

solo was played by Larry Carlton

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Critical
20D8C243 08D2 413B B6AD 9F3908256452
07180C32 D415 43FE AB7B D173EBBB000A

SSH
CE2D43ED 4D6C 4CA4 A240 A0C0E192C36B

Widow
6184BFB8 384E 4125 9440 5A7BF92B83FD
B42BD4C9 1372 4CD8 A43B EA0A221A3B4E

Everyone’s just carrying on doing their thing now, not a lot to report. Still new hairs emerging. Drinking more every day, a gallon per day split between the 4 now and they’re well dry by the next afternoon.

Interesting note: I super cropped the 4 buds directly under each of the 4 main tops, bending them inward to get them out from underneath. The one I super cropped most severely, which has the sharpest “kink” in its stem, is now the frostiest bud on the plant. It can be seen bottom left side in the overhead shot. Shows the plant’s response to stress in terms of resin production
DE3B7B04 8147 47E1 A661 6C317C135136

_mahavishnu

_mahavishnu

Day 56 since flip today, closing out the 8th week flowering. The difference between last week and this one is awesome, everybody is leaning under the weight of their buds. All lights are at full blast, humidity is pinned to 35%, temps range 79-82 at lights on then drop to around 65 at night. We sealed up the windows to improve insulation during lights off and hopefully cut electric use keeping the place heated.

The SSH is changing appearance dramatically, the structures that make up the buds are swelling up massively. Still tons of new white hairs, so I have no doubt she’ll take a few more weeks. Smells very skunky and classic.
BB0297DB 0A37 4264 A332 AADF653ADFAD

8D4B1E19 AC0A 4BFD 8951 FC144DF97C2C

Cream & Cheese CBD has also begun to swell up, but new hairs haven’t stopped on her either. This one smells like black cherry soda to me, so syrupy sweet. Very interested to see how she smokes with her claimed ~18-20% THC and near the same CBD.
38198AB5 A69A 4181 A3EA 74C6DB3B5D63

DE6CE7C4 1209 41B3 AC83 B8E807AE7F0D

White Widow is far behind the others, which is annoying because we’ve intended to use this space to dry. That can’t happen if widow needs two more weeks after everyone else is done. Smell is finally emerging, but nothing special or really identifiable. Just greenness and weed.
5B75AA8E 15A1 4909 AF36 F0F7AFB32786

54276359 E0ED 41BC A49B BABB44DD5192

Critical Plus 2.0 is probably closest to the finish line, which makes sense when you consider that Dinafem claims a 45-50 day flowering period for this strain. Still, also looks like 1-2 weeks more for her at this point. She’s settled into her fermented fruit and sharp citrus blend of smells now. Definitely looks like a winner in terms of yield
1A29FDFE 7DFC 4C19 A423 1C958899A505

F1A4BC32 E089 475F 819A C0AA91A4BC4D

and the room
628FD7E7 E35A 4FA2 8608 C545131AC0FE

been tapering down the PBPG since the middle of this week, down from around 1000ppm to 600 at this point and giving less with each feeding. By the middle of next week it’ll likely be just water.

I’m at the point where my stress is at the absolute max, I’m worried all day about making sure these girls finish up strong, without running out of food before they’re actually ready, and without feeding too close to harvest and ending up with hay smell in the jar like my last plant. Also not totally confident in my ability to identify peak harvest.

With that said, I wanna call on everyone who has helped me get this far, just to make sure I’m not on my way to screwing something up with my current plans: @sshz , @Milson , @Dirtbag , @MIMedGrower , @Aqua Man , @bellumromanum , @beluga , @amekins , much love and thanks to all of you already! I’d appreciate your judgment of my guesses at these plants’ harvest dates, my decision to begin tapering nutes at this point, etc. Would now be a good point to cut out the Recharge and reduce the availability of organics in the soil?

A big special shout-out to sshz for his incredible generosity in sending me a pH pen recently, plus gummies because why wouldn’t he. Not to take too much inspiration from his grows, but those gummies convinced me to get myself a 6-pack of Orange Gasm for Black Friday and throw one or two in the next grow.

Thanks again to everyone who has chatted with me on these forums over the last few months. I have no doubt this grow has gone many orders of magnitude more smoothly with all of your help. So close now.

Latest posts

Top Bottom