Making every mistake and can't seem to progress. Need help!

• Thread starter piffer_man_420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

Hello everyone!

I've been lurking here for the last 2 weeks, trying to get as much information as I can, I made the mistake of jumping into this without knowing the basics and now I'm learning the hard way.

I started new seedlings hoping to get started on the right foot. And to my dismay, they are yellowing and they are barely one week in!

I am setup with 50% Coco and 50% Perlite in 5 Gallon Autopots, for now, i have 2 seedlings that I'm nursing in paper cups and 4 other plants that I completely skewered with my lame first attempt, hoping to get them recovered, but expecting to call them complete losses.

I am mainly concerned about my lighting and potential Nitrogen deficiency, but didn't expect Nitrogen to be an issue this early with my seedlings... so perhaps lighting is the culprit?

Here are some pictures of my seedlings, they are in paper cups, watered very little, once every 2-3 days so far, soil mixture holds a lot of water so I don't want to overdo it.

Light fixtures are SF2000 LED's and I'm keeping them at 16inches from the seedlings according to this: https://www.cocoforcannabis.com/grow-light-guide/spider-farmer-sf-2000-field-test-review/

Seedling2
Seedling1
Zoom leaf seedling2
Zoom leaf seedling

Here is my setup: The other plants I'm trying to revive, they seem to have Nitrogen deficiency, these plants are 1 month old.
-mistakes I made, wrong earth, used an inert black soil... roots didn't develop properly when transplanting them. earth also doesn't breathe well, so could also be a lack of oxygen at the roots.
-no nutrients, PH was at 7.

All that to say, bad news baseball. I really messed up... Do you tihnk they will recover?
Setup seedlings
Closeup plant recovering

That one is the nicest of the 4 I have... the other ones are hanging by a thread it seems. This one at least has some new growth.

Using Cal-mag and I'm at 0.8EC on the nutes, introduced a bit late...
These are the nutrients I'm using. Currently ratioed the nutrients similar to week 2 of the feed program.

Anyways, I'm mostly concerned about my new seedlings, want them to feel happy and grow properly, hoping someone sets me on the right path. Light burn? Nitrogen deficiency?

Thanks for reading and looking forward to being more active in the community!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

400pom should be good right now. Here is a few links that may help you.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

There is your main problem. That light intensity will likely even be to much for a mature plant in flower only getting 12hrs of light.
Makes sense, I just expected the top leaves to be in worse shape than the lower ones. The lower ones are drying out much faster and seemed to be yellowing from the bottom up.

Just checked my PPM, i'm currently top feeding 375PPM to seedlings and other plants.

Also how am I to know how much light to use, I raised them to 24Inches now, hopefully that's far enough. The information booklet for the lights said 12 inches for veg... They've spend some time at 12inches, and since 2 weeks now they are at 16inches since I had doubts it was too much light reading up on articles.

They'll get better now that the PH and food are back in balance. Not a coco user. So can't tell you much other than that.
Thanks for your reply, I'm hoping they'll be back on track! :)

Last edited:
piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

400pom should be good right now. Here is a few links that may help you.

I will reread those. Thank you for taking the time. :)

Temps right now are 24C and RH50%

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Makes sense, I just expected the top leaves to be in worse shape than the lower ones. The lower ones are drying out much faster and seemed to be yellowing from the bottom up.

Just checked my PPM, i'm currently top feeding 375PPM to seedlings and other plants.

Also how am I to know how much light to use, I raised them to 24Inches now, hopefully that's far enough. The information booklet for the lights said 12 inches for veg... They've spend some time at 12inches, and since 2 weeks now they are at 16inches since I had doubts it was too much light reading up on articles.

Still going to be to much. Veg at the intensity you describe is established plants not seedling and early veg.

But your call.

mancorn

mancorn

Think of “veg” as a teenager, pump em full of food and run full blast. Your seedlings are like a 5 year old. Go slow with everything until you see Cotyledons starting to fade and then you can began ramping up. (Can’t get better advice than Aqua Man, so take it to heart.)

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

Still going to be to much. Veg at the intensity you describe is established plants not seedling and early veg.

But your call.

If you think it's still too much, I am definitely going to raise them even higher, my call isn't worth anything at this point, my plants have been suffering, lol. I raised them to 30inches now, would that be far enough in your estimation?

Also, should that be OK for both the older plants and seedlings?

Think of “veg” as a teenager, pump em full of food and run full blast. Your seedlings are like a 5 year old. Go slow with everything until you see Cotyledons starting to fade and then you can began ramping up. (Can’t get better advice than Aqua Man, so take it to heart.)

Good advice thanks! I'm thinking I need a better solution for my seedlings instead of blasting them with a 200W light... wondering if i can nurse everything back to health using same light height for the different age plants.

Been looking into buying T5 lights for seedlings, those probably aren't as harsh for the little ones.

I'm going to keep trying until I get some healthy plants, minor set back in the scope of all the growing years I have in front of me!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

If you think it's still too much, I am definitely going to raise them even higher, my call isn't worth anything at this point, my plants have been suffering, lol. I raised them to 30inches now, would that be far enough in your estimation?

Also, should that be OK for both the older plants and seedlings?

Good advice thanks! I'm thinking I need a better solution for my seedlings instead of blasting them with a 200W light... wondering if i can nurse everything back to health using same light height for the different age plants.

Been looking into buying T5 lights for seedlings, those probably aren't as harsh for the little ones.

I'm going to keep trying until I get some healthy plants, minor set back in the scope of all the growing years I have in front of me!
Just keep seedlings on the floor further and prop other pla ts closet to the light if needed. You can't really harm plants by giving a little less light then they can handle but you can sure fuck em up giving to much.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

Just keep seedlings on the floor further and prop other pla ts closet to the light if needed. You can't really harm plants by giving a little less light then they can handle but you can sure fuck em up giving to much.
Smart! Just took your advice and did that. The seedlings took a significant beating just today, I'm glad I asked before the damage was more!

Seedlings at 40inches from light, plants at 32inches.

The 2 on the left might be able to survive, I guess time will tell, I might germinate more seeds as extra insurance... and try and do a better job this time around.

Check it! this is what I'm working with now.
Setup seedlings floor

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Appreciate the kind words but I make my share of mistakes also.
Smart! Just took your advice and did that. The seedlings took a significant beating just today, I'm glad I asked before the damage was more!

Seedlings at 40inches from light, plants at 32inches.

The 2 on the left might be able to survive, I guess time will tell, I might germinate more seeds as extra insurance... and try and do a better job this time around.

Check it! this is what I'm working with now.
View attachment 1165274
Always fill containers to the top.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

Appreciate the kind words but I make my share of mistakes also.

Always fill containers to the top.

I have read your post 3-4 times now to make sure I understand it. But always second guessing myself because I'm in fact using Autopots, with Coco/Perlite, as opposed to top watering with a saucer under the pot.

I have a low perched water table because i'm using coco/perlite, however, the water never drains when the autopot system is turned on. Since I'm not top watering, if I have a lot of extra substrate above the water table, and outside of the waters reach via capillary, will it yield the same results? Seems to me that substrate will just stay dry, and un-inhabitable for any roots that could form while initially top watering?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have read your post 3-4 times now to make sure I understand it. But always second guessing myself because I'm in fact using Autopots, with Coco/Perlite, as opposed to top watering with a saucer under the pot.

I have a low perched water table because i'm using coco/perlite, however, the water never drains when the autopot system is turned on. Since I'm not top watering, if I have a lot of extra substrate above the water table, and outside of the waters reach via capillary, will it yield the same results? Seems to me that substrate will just stay dry, and un-inhabitable for any roots that could form while initially top watering?
I'm just gonna stay away from the bottom watering stuff... imo yeah it works but I absolutely hate the idea and it doesn't work well with all media despite the claims. Leaves residual salts and yeah... I'll just leave it there.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

I'm just gonna stay away from the bottom watering stuff... imo yeah it works but I absolutely hate the idea and it doesn't work well with all media despite the claims. Leaves residual salts and yeah... I'll just leave it there.
Alright friend, no worries. I may have made a mistake getting the autopots, seeing as they might overcomplicate things... and also, it reduces the amount of people that can help me with my beginner woes. 🤣

RealizedReal000

RealizedReal000

in my experience I would rather have the light further away then closer. When I started my seeds I had the light on 18/6 dimmed to 50% and 36 inches away. When I start seeing them get really stretchy and lanky I turn up the dimmer instead of lowering the light. I have the same lights you do. I started doing it first time I got the light and never went back cause it worked.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

View attachment 1165341
Hopefully this is helpful to you. I've found it to be ballpark accurate. I love the lights but found the manufacturer's guidelines to be way off.
WOW! The dimmer at 20-40% at 30inch height! HAHAHAHAHA. These plants must feel like they are on growing on the surface of the sun, because I've had it full blast 100%. at like 16 inches.

Thank you so much for chiming in, I was way off!!!!!!!

HAHAHAHAHA, I can't believe how much I'm messing up, it's sad, but I can't help but laugh.

Thank you friend. :)

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

in my experience I would rather have the light further away then closer. When I started my seeds I had the light on 18/6 dimmed to 50% and 36 inches away. When I start seeing them get really stretchy and lanky I turn up the dimmer instead of lowering the light. I have the same lights you do. I started doing it first time I got the light and never went back cause it worked.
Friend, I never even knew people used the dimmer... I just thought it was a range thing. Thank you for sharing your experience with these lights.

Top Bottom