Making every mistake and can't seem to progress. Need help!

• Thread starter piffer_man_420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SC69

SC69

Supporter
Sensei, I have a question about the coco prep.

Do you make sure the water you are using to expand the dry coco is at 5.8? Do you use boiling water to expand? Do you use perlite as well, if so what ratio? Also, I'm using hard water / well water / ground water (200ppm, tested with high manganese), that should be good?
Hi there, just wanted to apologize for hijacking here. I just meant to take the quote so Aqua would know why I posed the specific question. I am new to how all that works too. I hope everything works out and I know you’re in good hands here. ✌️

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Hi there, just wanted to apologize for hijacking here. I just meant to take the quote so Aqua would know why I posed the specific question. I am new to how all that works too. I hope everything works out and I know you’re in good hands here. ✌️
you can create your own diary and the members here will come to help you. or you can put a @ in front of the name to call a specific person to join your diary.

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

what did you do to this seedlings or your last once in the autopod? why are you preparing another coco batch>?

To many Sheff's in the kitchen trying to help makes the soup salty or shity as fuk

Hahaha, well said. My concern with my last try is that water PH for seedling was 7.0PH seeing as it was Reverse Osmosis Water. I was told that the seedlings didn't need nutrients until the cotyledons died off... Also, concerned that perhaps I may have watered them too much. Also concerned that the pots might be too small and that the root area does not have enough oxygen.

Might wanna have him look up his local area water report and see the % micro nutes are in the tap. 140ppm start is allready 1-0-0 so not as much cal mag is needed maybe .25ml to 1gallon”” as per an example off 140tap.

I have this. Results are in mg/L ----- Calcium = 18mg/L Magnesium = 7.1mg/L

Only reading outside of normal is Manganese.

PPM Reading from well/ground water is 200ppm from the source.

I buy bagged coco with 70/30 mix of 70%coco…30% Perlight….for brick coco I would expand in a 5gal bucket and use a strainer to scoop it out and rinse it one strainer at a time and dump into a spare 5 gal bucket…..if the coco brick is not pre rinsed…..once u have coco to work with pre buffer it with 2x volume of the pot feed at 5.8ph and 400ppm so 200tap water and another 200 from cal mag…I used Cali magic before switching over to flora nova……i can’t speak on boiling it because iv only ever used bagged coco, hydro shops are everywhere hear so it’s just more convenien…..yes that water is fine…..if u run into issues and u follow the guide line I gave u then that means theirs too much mag in the water and it’s locking other things out but don’t worry about that untill it’s an issue……for now just stick with that guide line

My concern with putting the boiling water is that it might kill bacteria and make it more susceptible to fungus and bad bacteria taking over and affecting the root zone. Boiling does make the process faster for the expansion and the water distribution seems to be more even.

I might try some pre-mix just to be sure it's not my source material that isn't giving me worries.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

E

coco needs extra cal mag supplementation because it leeches it from the nutrients and the base water as well…. Using tapwater I’ve had to dose as much as 400 ppm Calmac alone on specific strains like blue dream back when I wasn’t useing flora nova
I know how coco works, and I have never grown any auto fast or photo that called for that much cal mag. And if you can acquire canna coco nutes are way gonna your best choice when it comes to coco growing trust me very good quality chelated nutes get away from GH if you can.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

Hahaha, well said. My concern with my last try is that water PH for seedling was 7.0PH seeing as it was Reverse Osmosis Water. I was told that the seedlings didn't need nutrients until the cotyledons died off... Also, concerned that perhaps I may have watered them too much. Also concerned that the pots might be too small and that the root area does not have enough oxygen.

I have this. Results are in mg/L ----- Calcium = 18mg/L Magnesium = 7.1mg/L

Only reading outside of normal is Manganese.

PPM Reading from well/ground water is 200ppm from the source.

View attachment 1194400

View attachment 1194399

My concern with putting the boiling water is that it might kill bacteria and make it more susceptible to fungus and bad bacteria taking over and affecting the root zone. Boiling does make the process faster for the expansion and the water distribution seems to be more even.

I might try some pre-mix just to be sure it's not my source material that isn't giving me worries.
I would suggest grabbing some hydrogaurd or whatever and skip boiling the water might be more cost effective and time saving.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
do you have holes at the bottom of the pots"? if so, don't be scared of over watering or watering multiple time in the day. Water to run off with ph 5.5 and a 250ppm
also, to find out how much root there is, time your watering. If you are only watering once a day then the roots aren't that much. however, if you are watering 3 to 5 times a day than i would put them in their final home

7munkee

7munkee

"My concern with putting the boiling water is that it might kill bacteria and make it more susceptible to fungus and bad bacteria taking over and affecting the root zone. Boiling does make the process faster for the expansion and the water distribution seems to be more even."

I grow shrooms (p. cubensis) and I use coco bricks for the substrate. The shrooms are EXTYREML:Y susceptible to bacteria and the boiled coco does not affect them at all (usually) Dont be concerned about using boiling water to expand the coco.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

I know how coco works, and I have never grown any auto fast or photo that called for that much cal mag. And if you can acquire canna coco nutes are way gonna your best choice when it comes to coco growing trust me very good quality chelated nutes get away from GH if you can.
That was with 3-4 ppm ro water as base. I was about to switch over to them but no one around me carries it. Hydro shops are every where but no ones got it. Idk man I really like the growth and yeilds I’m getting on flora nova bloom. I save on cal mag sup as well.

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

That was with 3-4 ppm ro water as base. I was about to switch over to them but no one around me carries it. Hydro shops are every where but no ones got it. Idk man I really like the growth and yeilds I’m getting on flora nova bloom. I save on cal mag sup as well.
Oh RO water alright I get what you mean now, and that sucks. I found one seller on Amazon that ships it to my address and always has good Julian dates so might worth or try or if you can advance nutes coco sensi 2 part veg/bloom I’ve been told works great as well and it’s ph balanced so less acidity in mixtures which is nice.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Oh RO water alright I get what you mean now, and that sucks. I found one seller on Amazon that ships it to my address and always has good Julian dates so might worth or try or if you can advance nutes coco sensi 2 part veg/bloom I’ve been told works great as well and it’s ph balanced so less acidity in mixtures which is nice.
Iv ditched sensi grow coco formula…. They say it’s ph perfect but I had Nana start deficiencies until I had a mess with the pH then they went away put the pH with Joe out of whack overnight…it’s also extreamly watered down. I was useing 5-6ml per gal in veg and 2x that in flower plus cal mag even though they say it’s not needed with that lineup. Where’s flora nova bloom is extremely concentrated I’m using literally half of what I was using of Sensi…in flower I’m only useing 150-170ml per 50 gal rez batch vs 500+ ml of sensi….and it’s a 1 part vs 2 part so it’s cheaper and easier. ill take a look on Amazon thx for the heads up man!

Frostfire

Frostfire

Smart! Just took your advice and did that. The seedlings took a significant beating just today, I'm glad I asked before the damage was more!

Seedlings at 40inches from light, plants at 32inches.

The 2 on the left might be able to survive, I guess time will tell, I might germinate more seeds as extra insurance... and try and do a better job this time around.

Check it! this is what I'm working with now.
View attachment 1165274
I'd like to ask, why is your medium so low in your pot? Are you planning to prune the lower part of the plant and raise the medium level later, or is there some other reason for it?

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

I am beginning to think that maybe I should give up on Coco/perlite for now, and just grow in high quality soil.
You would be in late flower by now if you chose soil. But go ahead and keep on going till you figure out that coco you'll get it one day 😟

DoobieBro462

DoobieBro462

If you think it's still too much, I am definitely going to raise them even higher, my call isn't worth anything at this point, my plants have been suffering, lol. I raised them to 30inches now, would that be far enough in your estimation?

Also, should that be OK for both the older plants and seedlings?

Good advice thanks! I'm thinking I need a better solution for my seedlings instead of blasting them with a 200W light... wondering if i can nurse everything back to health using same light height for the different age plants.

Been looking into buying T5 lights for seedlings, those probably aren't as harsh for the little ones.

I'm going to keep trying until I get some healthy plants, minor set back in the scope of all the growing years I have in front of me!
I have been thinking about getting a little light just for seedlings also. My 600 watt light is not too kind on my seedlings. But then again I have made a few mistakes myself. We are here to learn....

Top Bottom