Making every mistake and can't seem to progress. Need help!

• Thread starter piffer_man_420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ArtfulCodger

ArtfulCodger

A resource that helped me immensely with my first grow was a YouTube video on the channel "Welcome to the Growtent" called "The Complete Beginner's Guide to Growing Cannabis from Seed to Harvest with LEDs." He grows in soil and he doesn't use automated watering, but many of his concepts will translate. GT fills his tents with beautiful plants and helps a ton of new growers do the same. (If I'm committing a foul by recommending a resource outside of this community, I apologize.)

royfree2grow

royfree2grow

You should have planted them in cups/jiffi/rw etc. Let the root sys to be well established, then transplant them to bigger pot.

When the cotyledons appear, the plant stops using all the beneficials from the seed and starts to take up nutrients, coco/perlite is inert thus, you have to feed npk + micro.

Good luck

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

A resource that helped me immensely with my first grow was a YouTube video on the channel "Welcome to the Growtent" called "The Complete Beginner's Guide to Growing Cannabis from Seed to Harvest with LEDs." He grows in soil and he doesn't use automated watering, but many of his concepts will translate. GT fills his tents with beautiful plants and helps a ton of new growers do the same. (If I'm committing a foul by recommending a resource outside of this community, I apologize.)
Thank you for sharing, I will follow up on your recommendation and watch it through! Kevin Smith sure lost a lot of weight! 🥲

You should have planted them in cups/jiffi/rw etc. Let the root sys to be well established, then transplant them to bigger pot.

When the cotyledons appear, the plant stops using all the beneficials from the seed and starts to take up nutrients, coco/perlite is inert thus, you have to feed npk + micro.

Good luck
Thank you for the tips. You're right, I need a better system for my seedlings, the cups might be too big for them to begin with. As for when to start feeding, definitely will take heed to the cotyledons!

Thank you everyone for the help! If I get anything out of these plants, it will be thanks to you all! :)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

On the line but no links. Discussion is no issue. It's more promotion that becomes and issue. Information is also ok as long as it's not promoting a social media account.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Thank you for sharing, I will follow up on your recommendation and watch it through! Kevin Smith sure lost a lot of weight! 🥲

Thank you for the tips. You're right, I need a better system for my seedlings, the cups might be too big for them to begin with. As for when to start feeding, definitely will take heed to the cotyledons!

Thank you everyone for the help! If I get anything out of these plants, it will be thanks to you all! :)
How did this grow turn out? Seeldlins in coco I keep in half gallon pots I hand water every third day that usually buys me 3 to 4 weeks before I need to transplant them. Coco is single-handedly the easiest and the most pain in the ass method of growing lol……. Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you when I first started three years ago have any right now on top of that I licked windows in school which means everything I learned was from a mistake that I made………. I went from completely batching my first five grows….. to pulling over 2 pounds off 1 plant…… stick with it and don’t give up no matter what if you really want to do this do not lose focus!!! Grind !!!

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

How did this grow turn out? Seeldlins in coco I keep in half gallon pots I hand water every third day that usually buys me 3 to 4 weeks before I need to transplant them. Coco is single-handedly the easiest and the most pain in the ass method of growing lol……. Unfortunately I was in the same boat as you when I first started three years ago have any right now on top of that I licked windows in school which means everything I learned was from a mistake that I made………. I went from completely batching my first five grows….. to pulling over 2 pounds off 1 plant…… stick with it and don’t give up no matter what if you really want to do this do not lose focus!!! Grind !!!

Thank you friend for the words of encouragement. My grows so far have all failed. 3rd batch of seedlings (since my first post) that seem to be going the same way as the previous ones. The little fuckers don't get bigger than my hand, and it's been over 1 month since they've been put in my seedling chamber with heating mat and T5HO light. (Sunblaster Dome)

I'm using a coco(70%)/perlite mix (30%) and using some Green Planet 3 Part for AutoPots (low residue). PH of solution is 6.0 and the run-off is close to 6.0 (5.8).

I think I might have overwatered at first... the new growth looks healthy but the leaves are so small!

Here are some pictures: (3rd from the left is 2 weeks old, has bigger leaves.)

PXL 20211201 175625749

PXL 20211201 175607054

What do?

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

I used pure Reverse Osmosis water for the first week of growth, until the cotyledons dried up on the 3 plants ( everyone except the 3rd on the right.) But they didn't seem to do very well after that, so the new plant ,3rd from the right, i used fertilizer water right away. Liquid is 200ppm with ratios given by green planet.

The stipe of those plants is mighty long though, implying that maybe lighting isn't adequate... but i'm using a T5HO and it's nested in the top of the sunblaster dome.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Ooooo noononononononono never give ro water to any plant especially in coco…… it’s cool man I flushed my first 5 harvests…… I feel your pain and I respond with positive energy….don’t give up and keep it pushing homie…..in coco I’d stick with good ok hard pots….. I’ve tried fabic pots, hard pots,hemppy buckets…. Hard pots are my fave for coco…., alright I’ll give u a rundown to set u up for success my guy……….. pop a seed….. take a half gal hard pot And fill with coco befor u put seed in coco u have to prep it…. If you don’t have a pH or ppm meter you absolutely have to get one no ifs ands or buts….take tap water and check with your ppm pen….what ever number it is get it up to 400 ppm with calmag then ph to 5.8 then flood pot let water flow out…..then put seed half inch deep in the coco and add just enough water to get that seed covered after tat do not water until that pot feels light you want the roots to search for water…..boom that will get you to 14 days from germination…..transplant into a 1.5 gal hard pot and now ppm your tap water up to 250-300 with cal mag….then add 200-300 ppm feed for a total ppm of 500-600, with ph of 5.8 no fucking around keep it rock solid 5.8…..water/feed that concoction every day even if the pot feels heavy…do that until you got 6 weeks Then transplant into a 5 gal hard pot and veg another 3 weeks at 700 ppm feed 2x a day water/feed at 24/0 lights….. then flip…… after that u can expect a 2+lb plant
2530E2EA DDCB 4412 9302 26AFF2409305
64908513 B3C3 4152 BAE8 A7AEB86595E1

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

You are your own man, I’m not telling you what to use …..but….. I strongly suggest u try flora nova grow, and flora nova bloom…..with plain tap water theirs no need for calmag so you’ll be savoring a lot of money…. I’ve tried cocotek, sensi gro,gh tri….by far flora nova is the best

piffer_man_420

piffer_man_420

You are your own man, I’m not telling you what to use …..but….. I strongly suggest u try flora nova grow, and flora nova bloom…..with plain tap water theirs no need for calmag so you’ll be savoring a lot of money…. I’ve tried cocotek, sensi gro,gh tri….by far flora nova is the best

Hi friend, thanks for the encouragement and good vibes. :)

I have ground water where I am at, tests at around 250ppm with 7.0PH straight from the ground and has high levels of Magnesium and Calcium already.

The last grow I attempted was with ground water directly, and the plants didn't do much better... maybe the PH was off, because I didn't buffer the solution to 6.0 PH until the cotyledons died, at which point I also added 200ppm of nutrients.

My understanding is that plants in their first stage don't need anything other than water? The Green Planet supplements I'm using have calcium and magnesium added, and I assume with Reverse Osmosis that should be alright?

There is so much conflicting information, and I understand there is more than one way to skin a cat, but judging by my success, I'm assuming there's something else that is the culprit. The plants stay really small, the pictures I am showing is like 6 weeks of growth for 3 out of those 4 plants. Perhaps it's the lighting? Are T5HO enough for seedlings? The small stipe indicates that they are looking for light perhaps?

I am beginning to think that maybe I should give up on Coco/perlite for now, and just grow in high quality soil.

Anyways, thanks for all the tips, I'll be coming back to your post for next grows for sure. At this point I'd just like a plant that is bigger than my hand... 🥲

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Trust me man……stick with coco…….ph 5.8 start to finish and follow the guide I gave you and you will bag your first harvest…..if u fuck up I’ll be hear for the rebound……you got this king

PK1

PK1

Supporter
Thank you friend for the words of encouragement. My grows so far have all failed. 3rd batch of seedlings (since my first post) that seem to be going the same way as the previous ones. The little fuckers don't get bigger than my hand, and it's been over 1 month since they've been put in my seedling chamber with heating mat and T5HO light. (Sunblaster Dome)

I'm using a coco(70%)/perlite mix (30%) and using some Green Planet 3 Part for AutoPots (low residue). PH of solution is 6.0 and the run-off is close to 6.0 (5.8).

I think I might have overwatered at first... the new growth looks healthy but the leaves are so small!

Here are some pictures: (3rd from the left is 2 weeks old, has bigger leaves.)

View attachment 1193365

View attachment 1193363

What do?
what did you do to this seedlings or your last once in the autopod? why are you preparing another coco batch>?

To many Sheff's in the kitchen trying to help makes the soup salty or shity as fuk

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

Sensei, I have a question about the coco prep.

Do you make sure the water you are using to expand the dry coco is at 5.8? Do you use boiling water to expand? Do you use perlite as well, if so what ratio? Also, I'm using hard water / well water / ground water (200ppm, tested with high manganese), that should be good?
I buy bagged coco with 70/30 mix of 70%coco…30% Perlight….for brick coco I would expand in a 5gal bucket and use a strainer to scoop it out and rinse it one strainer at a time and dump into a spare 5 gal bucket…..if the coco brick is not pre rinsed…..once u have coco to work with pre buffer it with 2x volume of the pot feed at 5.8ph and 400ppm so 200tap water and another 200 from cal mag…I used Cali magic before switching over to flora nova……i can’t speak on boiling it because iv only ever used bagged coco, hydro shops are everywhere hear so it’s just more convenien…..yes that water is fine…..if u run into issues and u follow the guide line I gave u then that means theirs too much mag in the water and it’s locking other things out but don’t worry about that untill it’s an issue……for now just stick with that guide line

SC69

SC69

Supporter
There is your main problem. That light intensity will likely even be to much for a mature plant in flower only getting 12hrs of light.
I swear to all that is good I am not stalking you. Although I could probably learn all I need by going through your posts. I try to search a question before I ask it. If I can find the answer, why bother anyone. I am doing ok so far winging it with light. Messed up with the original seedling tray light (it was 12”) because ya know, I forgot the idea was for them to grow. It was fine for 9 plugs in the middle of a tray.

I was too afraid to put them under my PhotonTek X600 pro. I researched lights a bunch and had a budget. They all went over the stated wattage in real life tests and I was purposely trying to stay as low as possible. This one draws pretty close to the stated power, had the added benefit of a cool esthetic (I know, dumb), and is the US version of Lumatek….their trying to remain separate as far as sales, got confusing and earned me a supplemental 100w when they produce theirs in Feb ‘22.

So, afraid of the light I bought to grow weed, I went and bought another light to grow weed. It’s an HLG 65 V2 and it did well for my needs, but once they needed to be separated, that was done and I put them under the PhotonTek at 25% 24” (I may have started at 36” and noticed quick it wasn’t enough, I didn’t write it down…lesson learned). They were great. I jumped too quick to 50%, saw it quick, dialed it down a bit (have a controller with more control). Then over a few days I raised it to 50%, still at 24”. They seemed ok the couple days transitioning. Yesterday we talked about my overwatering a couple. This morning, just before lights out, I grabbed a peek and some of them were “praying” on the top. Not all, just a couple. Now, I’m sure you know I’ve read 100 opinions on what this means. I still don’t know what it means though. lol. I’m going to include their par reading, it’s great for when I’m in flower, I know what height will give me 900/1000. I don’t know how any of this works. Is par just halved at 50%? I have a feeling that’s probably not the way it works. I have the chart of what they need at each stage, I have a light that can give it to them. I have a grower who has no idea how to use it.

I would, will, and have considered buying a light meter. Maybe I’ll just rent one, take the plants out, test the thing at all heights and power levels and keep the chart.
I am so over budget it’s scary. I’m just not wanting to compromise because this isn’t going to fade out. I’m in this for the long haul. I need to save on my medicine. I’m trying to give myself the best shot. I’ve made a bunch of mistakes that cost money too but I’ll be ok. I’m hoping to avoid getting a light meter. Now, I can see on these par maps that if I hang it high enough, I can give them the right level. I don’t want to run the thing at 100% the full run. That’s silly. Sorry so long, and thanks as always for any input.
66EE1CB2 17A0 4AD6 9A85 A057CF1D11DB

TheBadChoice

TheBadChoice

I buy bagged coco with 70/30 mix of 70%coco…30% Perlight….for brick coco I would expand in a 5gal bucket and use a strainer to scoop it out and rinse it one strainer at a time and dump into a spare 5 gal bucket…..if the coco brick is not pre rinsed…..once u have coco to work with pre buffer it with 2x volume of the pot feed at 5.8ph and 400ppm so 200tap water and another 200 from cal mag…I used Cali magic before switching over to flora nova……i can’t speak on boiling it because iv only ever used bagged coco, hydro shops are everywhere hear so it’s just more convenien…..yes that water is fine…..if u run into issues and u follow the guide line I gave u then that means theirs too much mag in the water and it’s locking other things out but don’t worry about that untill it’s an issue……for now just stick with that guide line
Might wanna have him look up his local area water report and see the % micro nutes are in the tap. 140ppm start is allready 1-0-0 so not as much cal mag is needed maybe .25ml to 1gallon”” as per an example off 140tap.

Buddernugz

Buddernugz

E
Might wanna have him look up his local area water report and see the % micro nutes are in the tap. 140ppm start is allready 1-0-0 so not as much cal mag is needed maybe .25ml to 1gallon”” as per an example off 140tap.
coco needs extra cal mag supplementation because it leeches it from the nutrients and the base water as well…. Using tapwater I’ve had to dose as much as 400 ppm Calmac alone on specific strains like blue dream back when I wasn’t useing flora nova

Top Bottom