• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Now thats real.

Thanks chickenman. Time is on your side, the longer the drought, the less thirsty you will become.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
For me its total surrender to the fact proven over and over again. That fact being just like any addiction Its stronger than I will ever be, it wins everytime so for me being strong means I win and that just dont work. Sweet surrender means I will never be as strong as the substance and thats just the way it is, my only hope is surrender and realizing its a losing battle so just simply dont thake that 1st sip no matter what. Just wait awhile and it soon passes.
Cunning, baffling, powerful and patient, must remember...

Onespark

Onespark

As usual, I love you man. Great post and I am glad it got the bump. I quit drinking for a year and a half and now am back at drinking beer all the time. Lame but rather enjoyable while it lasts. We are each free but responsible for our choices. Moderation is the key with anything and if you can't do that then you best make a change. Thanks man. Great words from you always.

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Thanks for sharing this Chickenman. I've got a little over 2 1/2 years myself. I have been in and out of recovery since 85. I don't smoke either, because if I do I may end up in the bar again. I've tried to "Control" things in the past and just smoke and well....it didn't work out that well for me. All of my sober friends think I am crazy for growing, but honestly it is my ZEN. I LOVE being in the garden and I LOVE the fact that the fruits of my labor are enjoyed.

One Day at a Time my brother!

Onespark

Onespark

Thanks for sharing this Chickenman. I've got a little over 2 1/2 years myself. I have been in and out of recovery since 85. I don't smoke either, because if I do I may end up in the bar again. I've tried to "Control" things in the past and just smoke and well....it didn't work out that well for me. All of my sober friends think I am crazy for growing, but honestly it is my ZEN. I LOVE being in the garden and I LOVE the fact that the fruits of my labor are enjoyed.

One Day at a Time my brother!

You don't smoke your flowers? Or you talking about cancer sticks?

CelticEBE

CelticEBE

Onepsark.....I smoke cigarettes, but I can't smoke bud. If I do....I WILL wind up in the bar....and it just gets UGLY from that point.

sky high

sky high

I'm fortunate that I can seperate out ALL of the drugs I've had problems with and still smoke the bud. Alcohol-coke-valium-oxy....... no can do....

I tried life without >>any<< alteration for about a year in 2003-2004 but I didn't like the feeling I was left with. I kept thinking I'd find a level of mental clarity I'd never experienced previously but that never came.

Respect to all who fight the fight.....with >>>whatever<<< enemy you face.

s h

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
As usual, I love you man. Great post and I am glad it got the bump. I quit drinking for a year and a half and now am back at drinking beer all the time. Lame but rather enjoyable while it lasts. We are each free but responsible for our choices. Moderation is the key with anything and if you can't do that then you best make a change. Thanks man. Great words from you always.

Yes moderation is key. IMO theres nothing wrong with a nice glass of wine or a beer or two, or even getting hammered once in awhile. Some can do that some cant. For me I could drink moderatly and responsibly maybe 1 time then its drink, drank, drunk, just cant stop...:help: and the misery begins

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Today marks 11 years for me without a drop.

Feels pretty good not dealing with the misery, lies, brutal hangovers, DUIs, car crashes, cost to drink, not remembering wtf happened the nite before, vomiting, divorce, fights, on and on, the suffering is endless.
Still must keep things simple, I did not drink yesterday and today If I dont take 1st sip tomorrow will come and I will deal with it then.
Still must realize Iam never cured. Had to surrender to the fact it wins every fuckin time. So if I just dont take that 1st sip I will survive and thrive...
One day at a time folks, thats all we have....

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

For the past 10+ years my marriage has been going down hill. My wife blamed her problems on menopause. When I got insuranceI sent her to the Dr for tests but she quit going after the 3rd appt. It finally dawned on me recently that she is a lying, sneaky drunk and this is whats really been the root cause of all our problems. She is still in denial and still functional but has started going on serious drunks on her days off. She is very good at hiding the drinking but the 24 hours in bed afterwards is a dead give away. I'm at the end of my rope and don't have a clue what to do. My daughters apparently realized what was up before I did. Wish they would have said something to me sooner. All I want now is out!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
For the past 10+ years my marriage has been going down hill. My wife blamed her problems on menopause. When I got insuranceI sent her to the Dr for tests but she quit going after the 3rd appt. It finally dawned on me recently that she is a lying, sneaky drunk and this is whats really been the root cause of all our problems. She is still in denial and still functional but has started going on serious drunks on her days off. She is very good at hiding the drinking but the 24 hours in bed afterwards is a dead give away. I'm at the end of my rope and don't have a clue what to do. My daughters apparently realized what was up before I did. Wish they would have said something to me sooner. All I want now is out!

Sometimes the hardest thing to do is whats best. Before you leave you may want to try to intervene. Get together your daughters and tell her how her how drinking is affecting you and your relashonships. If its only you, thats fine, but some support from others goes a long way.
Have her read my story, maybe even go to an AA meeting with her.
You will also need some help coping with whatever comes along. AA could direct you for support, cant hurt for some free advice from those who have been thru what you going thru.
Denial is a bitch. Works both ways. The drinker and the person involed with the drinker suffer. Loved ones enable without even a clue to what there doing by simply putting up with there drinking.
Its easier to allow the misery to continue than to deal with it, along with the many other problems associated with abuse and enabling. Untill its too late or the shit hits the fan and its all over, just gets worse and worse I assure you.
Sounds like youve been together for some time.
Maybe give her once last chance to sober up or else your done.
Thats why an intervention may be in order, lay it all on the line. Give her the choice, my love and support for you or the booze.
My future wife gave me the choice. She loved me so much she could not stand by and see me self destruct.
It finally dawned on me how much of a loser I was due to my drinking.
I had so much to gain and so much to lose If I continued, I know my drinking would have done me in by now, so it was back to AA, pray, hope, I finally got some decent sober time and my head got somewhat straight and now Iam so proud to have achived 11 years, Its an awesome feeling...
Most of important take care of yourself and the reat will follow. Happiness and senerity come from within.. Hang in there, Things will get better IMO if you take a stand and do whats right for yourself first and foremost.The rest will fall into place one day at a time.... CM

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

Congratulations on 11 years chicken,sparking an og kush fatty in your honor!

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

CM, I just want to say how much you inspire me to be a better person. I have never dealt with any substance abuse (other than cannabis LMAO), but your story and strength that you share also provides others with the hope that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Positive vibes...

+1 for an AWESOME thread.

B

brncow

Alcohol, tobacco, pills = government drugs...designed to kill you and take all your money at the same time..bad news...stay away as much as you can!

putembk

putembk

I feel for you RMB's I am in the same situation. Keep on thing in mind, alcoholism is a sickness and she probably can't help herself. You sure have been together a long time to just want out. If you still have any feelings for her she can get better with support. I agree on hiding it, I never see my wife take a drink, she is all of a sudden to fucked up to walk. Kind of a dead give a way.

H

HomerJ

well done chickenman

Well done bro, its the hardest thing to quit drinking but it sure makes life easier. I have my drinking under control I think, but my girlfriend LOVES drinking. Actually she is my ex now we were together 8 years. She didn't work i did and she was always drinking in the daytime and i could hear it in her voice when i phoned up and it would just do my head in. I eventually just got frustrated and angry and told her to just leave AND SHE DID. I totally regret it i would happily go back to how we were even 'tho it was a bit f'd up. I enjoy other peoples success stories. Good thread

D

DoobyScoo

Did you ever find the AA crowd anti-pot?

I came there for alcohol, not pot.

Never had Delerium from Pot.

squiggly

squiggly

Sounds a lot like me, except with a ton of cocaine sprinkled in.

I've gotta say, coming from a similar place of "addictive personality" as you, that it is beneficial sometimes to back up off the bud also and get some clear-headedness.

As you say, you've replaced one drug with another and I can't suggest strongly enough what a bad situation this can put you in under stress--especially as someone with several relapses under their belt.

I do this from time to time and I liken it to when I used E-Cigs to quit smoking. I switched to the E-Cigs, it scratched the itch--but I found that as time went along and my laziness overtook my will to go buy more nicotine juice I realized that although i'd replaced one thing with the next--the stuff I'd equilibrated to was really much less addictive than the real hatfield (can't say mccoy, as I'm true-blood-hatfield and my grandpappy would turn in his grave).

I've found the same to be true for weed as compared with coke and drinking (I was a vodka drinker, no suds for me).

Best of luck on your continued sobriety, and thanks for sharing--hopefully your story can be of use to someone in need.

Top Bottom