Marijuana contaminants come under microscope by the Government

• Thread starter lino
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lino

lino

Some of our seeds and MMJ have become infected. Most of the MMJ plants today are contaminated in some way (not organic). Many MMJ seed embryos are infected with mold, mildew, insect. insect parts, salmonella and E. coli, to name a few. This is why sprays are used/needed. It is very hard to control pathogens with microbes alone with many strains.

Not mentioned in this article is the development of Colo state level seed databases and proposals that are in the process of regulating cannabis seed through testing just like other type seed testing. I'm guessing 99% of our seeds will fail organic testing of seed and many other tests. I guessing many quality smoking strains SEED will not be allowed to be sold.

Colleges are detecting contaminants in marijuana through DNA profiling and analysis. mold, viruses, fungi and bacteria)

Our Government is developing industry of marijuana quality control testing at STATEs and FEDERAL levels.

Seed strains and the contaminates DNA profiles of organisms kept in a database by the National Center for Biotechnology Information — a division of the National Institutes of Health.

http://www.denverpost.com/marijuana/ci_24635164/marijuana-contaminants-come-under-microscope

lino

lino

I never knew seeds could become infected with mold and contaminated with insects and insect parts? o_O Always thought that was the beauty of starting with seeds...no bugs/contaminants. Hmmmmm..... MGG
Thats what I thought also. In college I performed 'embryo rescue' and 'pathogen test' on several seeds, I snook in some cannabis strains. I was surprised at first at how dirty cannabis seed was. But a seed is far cleaner than clones (blood brother and sisters). Actual bugs have a very hard time with survival in seed shells but virus/bacteria can survive long periods and hurt embryos.

When you open store bought seed packets for our vegetable gardens it surprising of all the seed testing that the seed company went thru to comply with GOV state and Fed regulation before the seed could be offered to the public. These seed guide lines are being implemented to MMJ seed sales in Colo. and will take skilled botanist to get most MMJ seed to comply with state guidelines if the state uses Fed guidelines I think. It is hard to purify embryo's efficiently in home labs.

DNA ownership is often mis-understood. A gene pool can consist of bad gene (susceptibility to pathogens) in your organism and other organism transmitted with the embroys or actual organism that will infect your plant/animal from birth/lifecycle. In other word you can breed and own the DNA to a strain and any company that cleans pathogens from your embryos DNA or any attached DNA life will own the cleaner version.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

It's just a bunch of shit to filter through who knows what's going on it seems we gotta be a bookworm just to feel safe smoking even our own home grown buds

lino

lino

One thing that keeps me hopeful in our gardens success compared to large Gov gardens. Big grows will have to use more sprays for pest control than our smaller controlled gardens allowing us to use more organic nutrients and sprays as compared to large farms. Example (farmers markets). How safe and Organic do you think 'Mighty Wash and Ed Ros 'Zero Tolerance" is ???? anyone ? those 2 have kept bugs away since summer.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Honestly, if I can't figure out what it IS, then it ISN'T going in my garden. I can't figure out what Mighty Wash is, so it AIN'T goin' in my garden, end of story. Don't know a thing about ZT, either, but I'm happy with my results once I got on the rosemary train.
Our Gov't cares >so much<. First they try to poison us....then they tell us we are being poisoned.

I'm sure a few old heads here remember this attack and the ensuing "studies"....

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1650884/

as always...the devil is in the details....and after the fact.

be safe all......
Hell yeah I remember that, bein' in SoCal during that time a LOT of paraquat weed came through. People toked it anyway. A friend's brother ended up in the hospital with a collapsed lung at one point, but everyone (the experts, ek-spurts) said it wasn't due to the paraquat. I don't know, myself. First he was healthy, then after this one batch of weed, he was in the hospital. Sure, he was also on a whole host of other drugs, I'm just not sure that horse and acid have any possibility of causing something like the pulmonary problems he experienced.

monkeymun

monkeymun

This is the inevitable consequence of legalization. Why would we expect any differ when this is how all our other foods and medicines are deemed safe before being given to the public? No one ever said legalization wouldn't come with its own unwelcome pitfalls.

I see micropropagation being a major component of MJ cultivation in the future.

Slowitdown

Slowitdown

The government is racing away there tiny brains trying to figure out a way to control mass market of marijuana. They have probably been trying to figure this out for 20 years. Think about this - 10 Tons of marijuana comes from mexico(small amount by the way). Once this hits the street wholesale value you are talking about 6 Million cash. Where do all these seizures go? Where are the drugs? Think about it there is to much money to be made. How about the tons and tons and tons of cocaine they seize regularly. Now you are talking about hundreds of millions of dollars. We are in a RX/pharmaceutical state just like I said before. Why is it that the pharmaceutical companies took heroin and copied it exactly and made it into a pill (oxycontin)? Why is it that doctors get kickbacks for prescribing these drugs to patients? Think...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
There are literally government storage facilities for things like bulk 'drug' shipments, that are then incinerated. I have a few docs in my family and I have yet to hear of a single one saying they got a kickback for prescribing anything.

I think the government is coming from it backwards, they're being dragged along this legalization ride and are now scrambling to figure out stuff. I'm with monkeymun, too, we should expect nothing different. Plenty of us scream when someone gets sick from eating E. coli-laden cantaloupes and we all want answers. How are answers derived, then? Bureaucracy, paper trails, etc. Regulation is not necessarily a bad thing.

lino

lino

Honestly, if I can't figure out what it IS, then it ISN'T going in my garden. I can't figure out what Mighty Wash is, so it AIN'T goin' in my garden, end of story.
So I'm at a big Denver Grow store. Salesman for Mighty Wash is promoting products (Mighty Wash was one of the products) at the grow store. he has bout 5 or 6 people at his table demo and brochures and I ask him; How would he describe Mighty Wash in the realm of a organic product? The saleman takes a drop of Mighty Wash on the end of his finger and puts it in his mouth! Swallows and says; how that for safe,,,,, No kidding! To be honest I'm not sure what in Mighty Wash but as far as I think, it water and very small metal, maybe micro size, pieces that cut and kill small bugs and larvae. Exo- skeletal bugs get damage poss also....

Mighty Wash experimental design by lino,
no details- that would need many pg's to explain. I use Tanglefoot for bug control, but if you dont understand it you'll make a mess and get in bud, and you can easily kill/hurt plants and leafs. Tanglefoot is awesome for experiments like this and bug defense . For this experiment I wrap the Leaf stems with Tanglefoot, knowing that I'll remove this stem tissue and fan leaf later, with Tanglefoot. My theroy is the only way for bugs to exit the leaf I'm about to experiment on is fall or drop or jump off the leaf otherwise the bug will crawl to his death when he gets tangled/stuck in Tanglefoot. Now that the leaf is isolated from the plant I use test sprays from small misters on individual isolated fan leaves.
Mighty Wash in conjunction with oils like neem, cinnamon, Tanglefoot and on was able rid most pest and bugs like Hemp Mites on the isolated leaves so I;m impressed with its performance and I feel it MIGHT be safe.
next
Tanglefoot Experiment; I havnt checked spelling on my Tanglefoot , might be incorrect, sorry...
Ive used Tanglefoot and mineral oil to exterminate Hemp Mites and all identifiable bugs in a scope. It was a pain in the ass and my technique would Not work in bud stages either. I;d throw the plant away before I did this lunatic experiment again. But I have used Tanglefoot as bug defense but I try to avoid the use of this,,, a little bit of an overkill vs effort. It very effective if all ya got is one or 2 plants and you dont mind cleaning your finger all the time.

Seatown

Seatown

Id rather spread awareness within the community and allow breeders to opt into some kind of quality genetics program, rather than let the Govt play any role in the matter.

Top Bottom