Marijuana DNA Profiling

• Thread starter Smoking Gun
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

SpiderK posted this article in another thread, but I thought it warranted its own conversation. They are building a database to track marijuana seized in busts or arrests. They then plan on using the results to track where the marijuana originated and shut down the parent operations. Or at least this is what they think. I am almost certain this will not go at all as law enforcement plans. With the mass distribution of genetics it will be nearly impossible to discern exactly where the Cannabis originated using genetics alone. Just curious to see what everyone else on the Farm thinks.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I read a bit of it in spiders post..
They are still calling Cannabis a Narcotic?:confused:
Thats fuckin stupid:meh:

Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

That article came out 3 years ago and there was a stop to the program because of the genetics themselves. Take sfv, then take an sfv s1 or thousands, then take two crosses that were crossed using mom/dad dad/mom

Something about the DNA and their forensic science needed to be adapted, cause another problem was grow quality and techniques can change a profile of a plant, not to mention genetic drift on these early 90s strains a lot of people have been running.

It's going To be more likely to be developed for a validation of clone standpoint, unfortunately nobody that wants to do that has the time or money, and those who do don't want to do it.

But being civil laws and our justice system everyone other than the person pushing that knew it won't work.

Tom hill is the person I know that took this the furthest. He would be good info.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

That article came out 3 years ago and there was a stop to the program because of the genetics themselves. Take sfv, then take an sfv s1 or thousands, then take two crosses that were crossed using mom/dad dad/mom

Something about the DNA and their forensic science needed to be adapted, cause another problem was grow quality and techniques can change a profile of a plant, not to mention genetic drift on these early 90s strains a lot of people have been running.

It's going To be more likely to be developed for a validation of clone standpoint, unfortunately nobody that wants to do that has the time or money, and those who do don't want to do it.

But being civil laws and our justice system everyone other than the person pushing that knew it won't work.

Tom hill is the person I know that took this the furthest. He would be good info.

I totally didn't realize how old the article was, thank you for pointing that out.

They obviously ran into the problems I had expected them to. Eventually we will be able to use this means of tracing Cannabis genetics, but for the purposes of keeping track of prized plants and their progeny. That is something I look forward to. I am sure we are closer than is thought as the abilities to catalog the genes and genomes of plants are quicker, less expensive and more accurate than ever before. In many ways it comes down to getting the first few genomes cataloged and from there the process will become much simpler.

SpiderK

SpiderK

They have been getting .gov funding for over ten years for many projects ......, the dna project started before 2002.

......... One study released earlier this year, however, found that pesticide residues on cannabis are transferred to inhaled marijuana smoke, possibly posing a "significant toxicological threat." The study was done by The Werc Shop, an independent testing lab for medical cannabis in Pasadena, Calif., and published in the peer-reviewed Journal of Toxicology.

Marijuana can develop mold from an inadequate drying process or poor storage conditions after harvesting. It can also become tainted with E. coli and other dangerous substances by being near farm animals.

Coyle will be developing a new method for creating DNA profiles of biological contaminants found in marijuana including mold, viruses, fungi and bacteria. The profiles could then be compared with DNA profiles of organisms kept in a database maintained by the National Center for Biotechnology Information — a division of the National Institutes of Health. ......

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/conn-university-test-pot-contaminants

Last edited:
Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

dude the government has been paying scientists to burn ants with a magnifying glass for 30 years, too.

they do a lot of stupid shit with our money. period.

Top Bottom