MC`s Forest Adventure

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
long term predictions are often wrong but as time gets shorter to the date they get better at guessing. It always seems to have a storm here just before harvest time and often the weather turns nasty in the middle of harvest. I always harvest later than most folks around here though. I go by the trachoma's and like mine more on the amber side. About 60/40 or better. Cheep commercial is around 30/70 at best. Thinking I`ll start harvest on the full harvest moon or around that time. I think that`s around the 20th of Oct. With humidity up because of the storms I`ve had around 30% losses to bud rot in the past. The greenhouse will protect from direct rain and I plan on using dehydrators/ sulfur burners to keep the humidity/mold under control since I`ll have full covered greenhouses this year. I`m also planning on putting in a second batch and will be doing a late Winter, early Spring harvest. and again planting in early Spring. I`m setting up the greenhouses for a reason. I should be able to get three harvests a year and still keep to my counties plant count limits of 99 plants with 66 in flower. It`s been expensive to build these greenhouses and will continue to be expensive to operate them but I hope it will pan out over all. The problem and expense will be heating in Winter and cooling during Summer. Then it will also cost to use propane CO2 generators and part time HID lighting. I`ll get some relief from having sun driven fans and exhaust vents and most of the lighting will be from sun light but I will use a lot of propane and gas for the generators because I`m off grid. At some point I may switch to diesel generators. Diesel costs a little more but can be stored better in large tanks and the engines last longer. I`ll also need to get larger propane tanks and have the gas delivered at a better rate. Once I get all set up on the property with orchards I plan on getting a farm production tax brake set up so I`m not using fuel with road taxes added. I`ll have all my fuel delivered into larger tanks. I`m just testing the waters on these greenhouses. When I get a large pad on the lower property where the water is I`ll be setting up larger greenhouses and a large solar power system. I`ll only be using generators for back up on cloudy days to keep the batteries fully charged .

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Went to town in the Blazer and got some of the supplies but not everything, did my laundry and checked out the office trailer. It has the front side re paneled on the outside and the steel door has been reframed. One corner deeds some siding and a couple of small patches need done yet. I only paid him $1400 for it with siding and moving ad he`s spent nearly $800 on it. He was releaved to hear I would take it without having the whole thing redone on the outside. That`s what`s been taking so long is he thought it was going to cost him more than what I paid him. Thing Is I just need to get through the Winter and have plans on remodeling it inside out the way I want before it goes down on the lower property anyway. Said it will be here on the 7th.

I was going to go back to town and finish my shopping after removing the water tank from the truck so I can haul with it. Instead I`ll need to catch up the water tanks again. I had a very hard night and have struggled to even get my chores done so far. Head ach, leg cramps, and lack of sleep. Didn`t help that my cat kept playing with the Rosary hanging off the lamp next to my head all night. I also got up some time early in the morning and fell down after losing my balance. I leveled out the motor home and am not yet used to not being on a slant! I also need to get ready for a trip down South again but my son is doing most of that work. He does a good job but is a little slower than I am at trimming. My hands hurt after an hour or so and can`t hold the trimmers without soaking my hands in worm water. We are nearing the last of last years harvest now and I`ll be glade when it is done! I still need to make hash and it`s only 6-7 weeks until the next harvest. I really want to get a dry trimmer this year. I know they won`t do a finish job but even 65% would make trimming so much faster and easier! I`m going to take a `cat nap` and then get the water caught up again. Plants will need some bloom tea soon also. they are starting to bud nicely and all of them look to be very frosty strains. Big thanks for the clones that were donated ! :-)

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I spent all day getting water tanks filled yesterday. In the morning it only takes 20 min. to fill my tank but as the day weirs on the spring fed creek goes down and it can take up to two hours to fill my tank. I got 4 loads and filled the 325 gal mix tank with my bud formula tea for the flowers first bud fix and applied it. I can now take the tank out of the truck for a load of plywood . Hope to pick up a load of cheep cull sheets for the top of the ends of the greenhouses, and for skirting under the RV`s and office trailer to keep out the winter cold better. I got three solar attic fans I plan on using for the exhaust fans delivered but was waiting until it`s sunny to open. They push up to 1750 foot per hour of air. One box sounded like sometime may be broken inside. I hope not! Rain is possible on the 12th and also predicted the first week of October. Trying to get ready ASAP ! It always seems to rain when you don`t want it during harvest time or just before. If I finish the greenhouses and have the office trailer set up It won`t mater this year. wind and rain won`t be more than a setback for a few days with now waste involved.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got a lot done yesterday! resupplied but went to get 40 or so sheets cheep cull of plywood for making end caps on the greenhouses, skirts on the RV`s and office trailer and they only had 12 left. Stopped by my daughters and got to see my Grandkids but only briefly as they were headed out the door. I got enough for the greenhouses and have everything to put up the ends now. Checking the weather It still looks like rain the first week of Oct and maybe again the second week. I`m thinking I need to have the frame done and up , ready to cover by the end of the month. I shouldn`t cover it until then as it`s still warm and I`m not sure if it will have enough ventilation without the sides of the plastic rolled up. I`m still thinking about heaters and with I could build wood heaters and have gas ones on a thermostat for back up. A second crop this year would be so great but the added cost would be high also. Then there would be all that trimming to do all Winter !

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
After very close inspection I found two spider mites and no eggs. I also found the start of grey mold on one plant. I`m putting priority on spaying with neem oil and adding some calcium folar feed today. The neem oil will help stop the spread of mold and bugs. After that I`ll work on the ends so I can use the sulfur burner for the mold. Good thing I caught this at the start!

M

Max Stone

Nice catch Bro...I use neem on my outdoor veggie garden...it works wonders on knocking down the whiteflies and tomato worms...also knocks the crap out of the aphids...just dont over do it or it will suffocate the plants ;)

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I been using neem oil for years, it`s organic and you can use it up to 3.5 weeks before harvest if you use it light. I`m using a sulfer burner in the lower end greenhouse tonight for the grey mold. There were just a few small spots so I caught it early as well. I checked every plant and only found a few spots of mold on two plants just starting on the fans at the bottom . I didn`t see any eggs from the mites but also spotted two different spotted spider mites. There were a ton of lady bugs and prey mantis all over my plants so they were keeping the bugs down and maybe eating the eggs as well?

Just got a call and a propane heater came ground shipped so got to run and pick it up tonight. I`ll need to order more of them for the greenhouse`s Winter grow but thinking I`ll also try and build some wood side draft stoves from cement blocks as well.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Not much going on this weekend. My son`s going to be gone to his GF`s. I`ll work on watering and fetching, House keeping and chores. I was thinking time to work on my shelf for under the TV and the solar panels and shore batteries for the inverter. May also work on framing some of the greenhouse ends and the office trailer if it gets brought up Sunday night as scheduled. I`ll need to tent one more of the ends of the greenhouses and use the sulfur burner on the second one tonight and finish spraying neem oil on the plants. I also need to get ready for that trip down south soon. I`ll find something to do with myself anyway.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Looks like I`ll have a bigger battle on my hands than I first thought with the mold. The sulfur burn did little to slow it down. I need to go to town and get three big fans for circulation as well as some sprays. I need H2O2 , Eco Smart, Regalia, and Oxidate (Storox in CAN) . In combination and series they hold the best chance of keeping the mold at bay until harvest. I needed to have fans in place before I put up the plastic. Even with the ends open there just isn`t enough circulation and venting of humidity. I can still put up the frames for the ends but really should wait until the last minute before any storms to put plastic up on them now. I`ll probably have to harvest as soon as possible instead of taking longer to allow the buds to get extra amber. Also not a good idea to try a Winter crop until I can cleanget the greenhouses very clean. Everything is working early this year , flowering early and having expected problems early also ! But that is playing against me, being slow because of construction and illness.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Been following that. I hope for Scotland they do become free of London . It would mean some short term hardship but in the long run they would be free of money grabs that keep them under the control of English marketers. What they do then would be up to them. Although I am descent from and a member of the Royal House of Alpin , I am American. I know little of the economics of Scotland. The argument set about from members of our clan in Europe is that I should be taking greater interest in my heritage if nothing else because traditionally the King of Scots is a chiefship . It does not rely on a kingdom. It is a title , but could become a heavy burden I do not want. I`m hopeful the people of Scotland become free, but also a republic.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got an other excuse about the office trailer. I don`t think he plans on bringing it to me at all. Said he had to spend time with his GF and hasn`t fixed it yet. maybe Thursday? I`m looking at an other one and will pursue court action to recover losses. I think he`s a dead beat myself. I`ll give him until Thursday night as I need time to acquire the other one anyway. It will cost me an other $400 but comes in better shape with stairs and levelers . I`ll also need to fetch it myself at cost. I`ll ask for all extra costs be covered in the court action for recovery. We`ll see what happens. Thinking I`ll need interest on my money also. Only think the trailer I`m looking at needs is leveled and a heater. At this point thinking I`ll just use an electric heater for now and run the generator. No time with everything else going on to put a wood stove in. It will be smaller and harder to fit a wood stove into but should work for drying and storage.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got three nice size fans but couldn`t find any of the stuff I was looking for to spray but the H2O2. I did pick up some bacteria stuff That may eat the mold. Problem is I can`t combined it with the H2O2. Can`t order this stuff on line because the time it takes to arrive would be too late. I checked the humidity and it went up to 48% max this morning and dropped to 28% by the time I got up. That`s not that bad. The mold seems to be holding about the same, just a few spots of grey here and there mostly on bottom fans. If it rains this could change fast however so I need to jump on this before it stunts growth or gets into the developing buds. There is no sign of any eggs or mites now, just a ton of mantis a few garden spiders and maybe a grasshopper or two. I`ve never had a problem with grasshopper infestations but always seem to have a few . I think the mantis keep them down in the garden .

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Got up at 4am to check the humidity and it`s 37 percent at 63 degrees. Light wind. I just don`t see how mold is growing with the way the air is so dry. I`m going to start spraying in the morning and we`ll see just how hard it will be in the next few days to see a real decline in molding. I`m betting it won`t be a problem until nearly harvest when the rains start. If that`s the case and I can fight it back now then I shouldn`t have very much in the buds themselves if any. Had me worried! Think I just needed more circulation of air. The fans will be run in the early morning and that and some spraying should do the trick. Buds are going to town and becoming frosty already! Almost time for a new feeding !

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Not sure as the humidity is well under control. I did add three new industrial fans for circulation. The mold seems in check , my biggest problem now is having a few broken branches from the growing weight of the buds. I have a friend of my son`s coming up the next few days to help me tie the branches up better and do a few chores. The blazer is in the shop again and won`t be out until Friday but I might take the Truck down for supplies, gas ands to dump the trash. Once I get harvest over it will need to go into the shop also. PS is going out and doesn`t work with the idol on the engine low. Hard to turn the wheel when stopped. It has ether issues as well but I need it to bad right now to fetch water so limiting it`s use to nurse it through.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Trip to Socal canceled . My son is going instead , Whoopee ! I hate running the gauntlet!!! He`s younger and can bounce back from the stress better. It takes me 3 + days to be worth anything after a long drive like that. It not vacation time however as I`ve got lots to do here.

Top Bottom