Met 52 stops Root Aphids

• Thread starter Onespark
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
motiv303

motiv303

Amputating Fakeness
Supporter
Plan was to run the nematodes in the current plants in flower and start the met on the veggies. I was definitely wondering about that though , good to hear that it won't hurt them, for later ( hopefully) . Got a decent deal on the "todes" so figured id go ahead and see if they could help this group in flower at all and let the met start on the young'uns. Here is a couple pics of the met, will get a close up once I open it. Nematodes didn't show up yet though or I would have showed them too. I'm ready to open up a can of root aphid whoop ASS. Dude at GMH was MAAD cool too, good people for sure. Thank you, yet again Altimood.
IMAG0482-1.jpg

IMAG0483-1.jpg

Peace all! MOTIV!

O

oldschooltofu

It won't kill nematodes. It kills bugs with hard outer exoskeletons. Fungus gnats could give shlitz about Met. I'd say run the nematodes if you already have them. Can't hurt. Met will slay those root aphids.:nod

well thats good to know.

Resinable

Resinable

Altimood, are you speaking from experience about the MET 52 not killing fungus gnats? A quick google search reveals sources such as EPA and others stating that MET 52 targets gnats. Also I read somewhere that it targets mosquitos and I think specifically fungus gnats. Also its mode of action (entering through orifices and pores and then growing from the inside of the inscect outward) does not suggest that it would not work against soft bodied insects.

Not saying you are wrong but just curious about this.

altimood

altimood

Altimood, are you speaking from experience about the MET 52 not killing fungus gnats? A quick google search reveals sources such as EPA and others stating that MET 52 targets gnats. Also I read somewhere that it targets mosquitos and I think specifically fungus gnats. Also its mode of action (entering through orifices and pores and then growing from the inside of the inscect outward) does not suggest that it would not work against soft bodied insects.

Not saying you are wrong but just curious about this.

Resinable

Resinable

Thanks Altimood, went back and took a second look at that thread. Seems like there were mixed results regarding fungus gnats with nearly everyone saying MET52 was not effective against them. Odd though how one can find fungus gnats listed as a target pest elsewhere. I guess it is really not that crucial as Fungus gnats are relatively easy to get rid of and RAs are much more pernicious and resilient.

Just planted fresh rooted cuttings in MET52 and Cap foliar pack inoculated roots organic soiless mix. In addition I will be praying five times a day to various deities and sacrificing goats and lambs on a regular basis in order to insure a bountiful harvest.

altimood

altimood

Thanks Altimood, went back and took a second look at that thread. Seems like there were mixed results regarding fungus gnats with nearly everyone saying MET52 was not effective against them. Odd though how one can find fungus gnats listed as a target pest elsewhere. I guess it is really not that crucial as Fungus gnats are relatively easy to get rid of and RAs are much more pernicious and resilient.

Just planted fresh rooted cuttings in MET52 and Cap foliar pack inoculated roots organic soiless mix. In addition I will be praying five times a day to various deities and sacrificing goats and lambs on a regular basis in order to insure a bountiful harvest.
Good luck Bro!:fighting0003:

O

Organicyumyum

i got some met52 about 2 weeks ago. i mixed it in my soil for my new plants, but for ones already in flowering i had to poke holes in the soil and drop the grains in the holes. my question is, how long does met52 take to work? cause on the older plants in flower, i just checked the soil and i still see tiny aphids in there. i thought they were toast, but after staring at the soil for a few minutes i could see those tiny fuckers going to town. i cant tell with the newer plants as of yet since i recently watered. they seem to be easier to find when the soil has dried out a bit. someone help me out, these things are destroying my herb.

O

oldschooltofu

i got some met52 about 2 weeks ago. i mixed it in my soil for my new plants, but for ones already in flowering i had to poke holes in the soil and drop the grains in the holes. my question is, how long does met52 take to work? cause on the older plants in flower, i just checked the soil and i still see tiny aphids in there. i thought they were toast, but after staring at the soil for a few minutes i could see those tiny fuckers going to town. i cant tell with the newer plants as of yet since i recently watered. they seem to be easier to find when the soil has dried out a bit. someone help me out, these things are destroying my herb.

i was in your situation, added met 52 at week 4.
i harvested about 1 oz per plant...not good, roots were destoryed but the plants finished. i suggest adding the met 52 to the top layer, around the outside of the rootball, esp where you see the white waxy stuff. and add a bunch to the bottom of the rootball. poke holes and add. i think the more widespread you get it the better off you are.

i drenched with mighty wash in the mean time. i think met takes 2-3 weeks to innoculte. so any new cuttings should get it for the next few cycles. my last harvest, i didnt have any flyers the last 4 weeks, mighty wash, met 52. it was actually one of my better quality, low yield harvests. small golfball sized nugs....i used gravity, silica and hpk and got dense nugs.

if you can afford it, i would chop and remove any plants you dont need...treat your keepers, add lots of met 52 (spread 4-6g per gal) and mighty wash or use liquid pyrethums in the mean time.

B

Buddy Hemphill

I googled green mountain harvest and a trimmimg company out of CO came up?

Resinable

Resinable

Buddy: Yea thats them; don't know them from adam but they sent it to me quick. Seemed like good people.

O

Organicyumyum

i was in your situation, added met 52 at week 4.
i harvested about 1 oz per plant...not good, roots were destoryed but the plants finished. i suggest adding the met 52 to the top layer, around the outside of the rootball, esp where you see the white waxy stuff. and add a bunch to the bottom of the rootball. poke holes and add. i think the more widespread you get it the better off you are.

i drenched with mighty wash in the mean time. i think met takes 2-3 weeks to innoculte. so any new cuttings should get it for the next few cycles. my last harvest, i didnt have any flyers the last 4 weeks, mighty wash, met 52. it was actually one of my better quality, low yield harvests. small golfball sized nugs....i used gravity, silica and hpk and got dense nugs.

if you can afford it, i would chop and remove any plants you dont need...treat your keepers, add lots of met 52 (spread 4-6g per gal) and mighty wash or use liquid pyrethums in the mean time.

mighty wash was good for aphids? i have used it for spider mites and it was amazing. my plants are still bomb and heavy, as i have been using sns-203 with every watering, which im sure is helping. i poked holes near the root ball of the already flowering plants and put 2-3 grams of met52 per gallon in each pot. i figured that the fungus would spread pretty rapidly after reading how it works. im just kinda pissed, cause the new ones i put in still have them and that had the met52 mixed throughout the soil. granted, i transplanted them from 1 to 3 gallon pots, so the 1 gallons didnt have met52 in them originally. i figured that by transplanting them into a larger pot with soil full of met that it would spread pretty quickly throughout the colony.

datDANK

datDANK

maybe have a better understanding about what food you might feed your plants that will fight off these things such as

magic teas
and silica
maybe a little neem

B

Buddy Hemphill

whats the dispersal rate for Met?

(how much) per cubic foot of soil?

O

oldschooltofu

mighty wash was good for aphids? i have used it for spider mites and it was amazing. my plants are still bomb and heavy, as i have been using sns-203 with every watering, which im sure is helping. i poked holes near the root ball of the already flowering plants and put 2-3 grams of met52 per gallon in each pot. i figured that the fungus would spread pretty rapidly after reading how it works. im just kinda pissed, cause the new ones i put in still have them and that had the met52 mixed throughout the soil. granted, i transplanted them from 1 to 3 gallon pots, so the 1 gallons didnt have met52 in them originally. i figured that by transplanting them into a larger pot with soil full of met that it would spread pretty quickly throughout the colony.

i am in the same situation this grow, i had two plants in one gal and they had 2-3 g in the pots (i saw white waxy stuff). i transplanted them into 4 gal pots with 2x met 52 in the new soil. plus added a big pinch to the bottom of the pots, and another 3-4 big pinches to the top layer each week after transplant. i am in week 1.5 flower and i have seen 2 flyers so far...but white healthy roots and no nutrient problems.

i think if you have a heavy infestation you need a lot of coverage or else supliment with something else that kills. i tried mighty wash on a whim when everyone else has been saying nothing works but chems. if frequency water kills one bug, it will probably kill other bugs? makes sence right?

in the fall i found some aphids on my outdoor roses. i looked at them under the 10x scope and saw them moving. submerged the leave in mighty wash and looked at them again under the scope. guess what? in 2-3 minutes all were dead and floating on the surface....its worth people doing more trials/research with.

Resinable

Resinable

Buddy: I think it is recommend 2-6 grams per gallon of medium for MET52.

Datdank: Seriously? Have you ever had root aphids? They drink neem shakes to build muscle, use silica to slick back their hair, and have magic tea with their biscuits at tea time.

Oldschool and Organicyumyum: I went through the same thing. Ended up killing giant plants. Transplanted from 3 gallons to 10 gallon smart pots with lots of MET. I think if you do this your only chance of success is to break up the root ball real well so you can really get the MET in there. Also once the RAs have compromised your plants health, God knows what viruses and diseases are thereafter infecting your plant and it is very difficult, if not impossible to bring them back. Was reading about this situation with aphids and citrus trees; the citrus trees get some kind of viruses after the Aphids do their thing. Bad ju ju.

I have been reading about some bioinsecticides that might work synergistically with MET52:
Paecilomyces fumosoroseus Apopka Strain 97 has been approved for use on ornamentals, non-food crops in greenhouses, and interiorscapes to manage whiteflies, aphids, thrips, and spider mites and is sold by Thermo Trilogy Corp. In addition, there are fungal antagonists available to combat various fungal pests.

Verticillium lecanii is used in Europe against greenhouse whitefly and thrips and aphids, especially in greenhouse crops.

Pandora neoaphidis, a common, naturally occurring pathogen of aphids that can be particularly effective during moist periods. Zoophthora radicans is another common fungus, with a broad host range. Strains have been isolated from several caterpillars, including diamondback moth, leafhoppers, aphids, and some weevils. Other related species infect thrips.

There is some stuff called boregaurd from India that has a lot of those fungi in it. Seems like Europe and India are way ahead of the US on boinesecticides. Also Caps foliar pack is the only place I have found some of those fungi for purchase in the US, but I think a Paecilomyces fumosoroseus Apopka Strain 97 product has recently been approved in the US.

Ultimately, I want to have a medium that consists only of Aphid killing bioinsecticids.

altimood

altimood

Datdank: Seriously? Have you ever had root aphids? They drink neem shakes to build muscle, use silica to slick back their hair, and have magic tea with their biscuits at tea time.

LMAO. Cracks me up how you articulated that but its true IMHO.

I think you guys will find that Met is all you need after working with it. Its hard to save already infected plants but I'm telling you from honest experience that it works when used from seed or clone to the end. But its effectiveness is limited to root aphids only. The feeding thing is a myth. Neem doesn't do much. Its good for other things when used regularly, no doubt, but I haven't seen ANYTHING else that is effective against RA besides MET52. Silica? Sorry, but not even.

Look at these little shits..

Photo_on_2011-07-22_at_09_30.jpg

Photo_on_2011-07-22_at_09_27.jpg

Photo_on_2011-07-21_at_13_40.jpg

Photo_on_2011-07-21_at_13_16.jpg

Take my word for it on this one. My friends and I have been studying and battling these insects for a couple of years now. The Met KILLS IT.

The second pic is awesome. A head on shot of a root aphid. You can see the straw coming out of his ugly face on the right side of the object.

That's taken with a USB 800x scope. You can buy them for @ $50 or less.:sun

Resinable

Resinable

Thanks for that post Altimood, it is reassuring. After using so many harsh chemicals to no avail and failing with my first try with MET52 (plants already infected ect.), paranoid, angst ridden and full of Aphid hate only begins to describe my present state. Thus I find myself obsessing on the Cannabis infirmary and Aphids on Christmas Eve! I do feel confidant from all the feedback that MET will ultimately work. I have new cuttings sitting in cups with MET right now so I am about to see for myself. Really appreciate the work Altimood and Onespark put into this and their willingness to share their results. Restores faith in humanity a bit.

Top Bottom