Mexican Brick Weed Bagseed Grow

• Thread starter TheGreenHand
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

What does everyone think of this project?

• Do you think South America has only Sativa dominate racemes?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
RandyPickles

RandyPickles

I'll be starting thread soon God willing. In breeders section under mexican landraces.
I came across a bag of Michoacan red hair that was perfect smoke and of the seeds, only one survived, a male, so I hit an SD elite sativa dominant afgooey and have 100% germ on the F1s, which look promising, so let's get the Mota flowing proper!

TurtleTree

TurtleTree

All my bagseed endeavors have resulted in mostly hermaphrodite sativa leaning hybrids. Only 3 plants were worth the attempt to save. Theyre all hybrids. Only one bag of fresh cut nasty grass grew out to be a 14 week sativa variety.

primordial

primordial

Seed to finish mine have minimum 77 days but I must admit that some would say the needed more even when I pull at 120 days so there's a couple of areas of open interpitations, bagseed=seeds from my home grown weed, a.s well as for what a hermie its contreversial, but man I'm excited to pop my old 90's mexi stash pure or impure and I have a plan for hermies to but pics are where the puddings at thesea days so I will let the thread speak for itself.

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

Hermaphrodites are common than not, even in commercial breeder stock. Whether it's early in flowering or buds throwing late nanners, grow long enough and you learn not to fear it and how to breed it out.

It's not for everyone, but some strains are worth the extra work and selection it takes.

primordial

primordial

All my bagseed endeavors have resulted in mostly hermaphrodite sativa leaning hybrids. Only 3 plants were worth the attempt to save. Theyre all hybrids. Only one bag of fresh cut nasty grass grew out to be a 14 week sativa variety.

In my own chase of my first "high," sativas, have come the closest. I did not personally witness mexican genetics shift in mexico, but I believe in change, so if indeed mexican brick changed in the new century, then I am also very curious as to how indica evolved in areas where sativas once flourished. I personally believe that genetics overpower environment, but itsrarely that simple. Nonetheless, Iam a fan of the 90's Chi-town stressand have no problem growing seedwhether it be bought, free, bread,or accident, white, black, solid,striped, small or big, I even grow the red tinted ones ;^}

RandyPickles

RandyPickles

In my own chase of my first "high," sativas, have come the closest. I did not personally witness mexican genetics shift in mexico, but I believe in change, so if indeed mexican brick changed in the new century, then I am also very curious as to how indica evolved in areas where sativas once flourished. I personally believe that genetics overpower environment, but itsrarely that simple. Nonetheless, Iam a fan of the 90's Chi-town stressand have no problem growing seedwhether it be bought, free, bread,or accident, white, black, solid,striped, small or big, I even grow the red tinted ones ;^}
My personal experience and research has been that environment directly affects the pheno (50% average) and if bred in the same environment, the genetics change after about 3-5 seasons.

primordial

primordial

My personal experience and research has been that environment directly affects the pheno (50% average) and if bred in the same environment, the genetics change after about 3-5 seasons.
How much experience and research shows that about ibl's and hermaphridiot seed? I mentioned this because I learned to grow from herm seed and back crossed seed.

The 50% gen 50% environment to me personally in the realm of cannabis is a ploy from "seed creators" to blame the new growers for herms.

In my experience, and in my learning with the only seed I had, in the same region for over twenty years, SOME genetics (ibl's, bx's, s1's,...) have shown more then 50%/50, I'd say 75/25 and depending how inbred or tightly back crossed some 80/20 gen/environment
@geologic @Sativied

How uniform are yall's ibl's and back crossed stuff compared to commercially bred stuff, for instance, outdoors or indoors, how predictable are your ibl's and other tightly bred seeds compared to seed co. Seeds?

@geologic @Sativied I must admit I been following some of yall's work and I'm thankful to have learned from plenty of both of yours works.

O

Organicyumyum

Any idea what your "dank" hybrid smoke would look like if it went through the same shit brick has been through?
I've grow out mexi brick seed when I was a kid, who hasn't? Some of it was pretty damn good even though we had to take it early. IMO, people way underestimate the true potential of "mexican brick".

agreed. There are definitely quality genetics to be found from brick weed. Brick weed is terrible because of the way it is grown, handled, packaged, and transported. Obviously your chances of finding a keeper out of weed that wasn't bred for many years is going to be lower than if you got a pack of seeds from an experienced breeder, but what everyone forgets is that even the finest genetics available today have always been there. Breeding allows you to hone in on certain desirable traits, however, Im sure a thousand years ago you could find extremely potent cannabis if you cracked enough seeds.

primordial

primordial

I find it hilarious that any of today's breeders think their as good at breeding then families/cultures/tribes that have been cultivating marijuana since recorded time.

For example, a strain hunter that goes to the Himalayan mts. "Finds" "wild" landrace seed brings it back and then "creates" a "new" plant. Very egotistical to think or claim, "creation" and/or work made it what it is today. I wonder if for one second these big headed "creators of seed" thought they may be riding the success of a plant that had already been hand pollinated by people thousands of years before.

waayne

waayne

Mexican genetics now days can contain almost anything genetically.
Some Mexican farmers were growing imported seed back in the late 70's,and many continue to do so.....

It is not that uncommon to find modern hybrids,Afghani's,Columbian,and Thai genetics in Commercial Mexican Cannabis.The last time I visited friends in Batopillas,they smoked me out with some Super Lemon Haze buds......o_OThey got the seeds from Greenhouse Seeds ,via The Attitude.....

Recently I was gifted some seeds that are from some Zapotec people who have been growing the same strain for 7 generations.It will be interesting to see what these seeds produce....

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
How uniform are yall's ibl's and back crossed stuff compared to commercially bred stuff, for instance, outdoors or indoors, how predictable are your ibl's and other tightly bred seeds compared to seed co. Seeds?

@geologic @Sativied I must admit I been following some of yall's work and I'm thankful to have learned from plenty of both of yours works.
Thanks, but I however don't have an 'ibl', and even if I would it would be really hard to compare to seed co. seeds "in general" because there's so much variation there, from good to bad, and there are few IBLs. I'm currently growing out an F3. F1 and F2 is to create variation, F3 is where stabilizing starts and is still a long way from being an IBL. IBL literally means inbred line but breeding in for X generations doesn't automatically lead to an IBL (a homozygous cross breed).

How much environment affects genotype and influences phenotype differs per genotype and is impossible to quantify based on perception. It's also hard to make a distinction whether it's the same genotype with a different expression (phenotype) because of different environmental influences, or just a new combination of a genotype in which more than 2 genes play a role, or a result of a mutation or chromosomal crossover. Something like that could be much better tested with clones.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Recently I was gifted some seeds that are from some Zapotec people who have been growing the same strain for 7 generations. It will be interesting to see what these seeds produce....
Human generations I assume :) Sounds great, good name too, Zapotec.

primordial

primordial

Mexican genetics now days can contain almost anything genetically.
Some Mexican farmers were growing imported seed back in the late 70's,and many continue to do so.....

It is not that uncommon to find modern hybrids,Afghani's,Columbian,and Thai genetics in Commercial Mexican Cannabis.The last time I visited friends in Batopillas,they smoked me out with some Super Lemon Haze buds......o_OThey got the seeds from Greenhouse Seeds ,via The Attitude.....

Recently I was gifted some seeds that are from some Zapotec people who have been growing the same strain for 7 generations.It will be interesting to see what these seeds produce....
Will you be growing Zapotec seed indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, Greenhouse/or no? And as far as the neutral coated comment implying if they could they would grow seed company seed now that they can is an interesting ploy.

waayne

waayne

Will you be growing Zapotec seed indoor or outdoor? If outdoor, Greenhouse/or no? And as far as the neutral coated comment implying if they could they would grow seed company seed now that they can is an interesting ploy.
@primordial I am going to do them in a greenhouse this Summer

I'm not implying anything about seed selection,just sharing what I saw on my last trip....And yes these old Mexican growers were psyched to be growing SLH....fwiw.....

primordial

primordial

@primordial I am going to do them in a greenhouse this Summer

I'm not implying anything about seed selection,just sharing what I saw on my last trip....And yes these old Mexican growers were psyched to be growing SLH....fwiw.....
Two shay waayne, if there was or is a hierarchy on thcfarmer I would vote for you to be at the top, that is if I would vote ofcourse and ofcourse you would have to be a politician aswell. I'm all blogged out for today. But its been an honor to discuss our interest. I'll contribute once I get a grow log up, God willing.

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

@waayne
very nice, those should be incredible.
will you be sharing with the class?

TurtleTree

TurtleTree

Awesome information. Great vibes. Much respect! Hope those beans do some work for ya!

geologic

geologic

Old Pharmer
Supporter
Last year was the first year I've grown any other seeds in a quarter century,
so I can't speak to any of that stuff.

Instead of uniformity I always went for diversity,
and I thought all my plants were extremely different from each other;
'till I grew some CookieCrosses, Moonshine Haze and Farmer Mix last year--
each phenotype of those is way more radically different than mine are...
[I'll definitely find-out this year 'cause I liked the new blood so much--
I'm gonna do a dozen new strains this time 'round...]

Most of this breeding stuff is over my head,
all I've ever done (outside/sun only)
was pick my (me an my wife's) favorite females;
pick a few favorite males, cross every female with each of those males;
and see what happens--
rinse-lather-repeat.

I'm just as much The AntiBreeder Heh: by deselection;
~25 years ago I had <maybe> 5% hermaphrodites,
every one removed as soon as it showed;
~10 years ago it was down to <maybe>1-2%,