Mimed’s Perpetual Thread

• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
707finisher

707finisher

The HSC seeds all taprooted in a warm moist coffee filter around 20 hrs. Fast! And all sprouted a day after planting. These are good vigorous viable seeds. I am excited to see the plants progress. These are feminized seeds by the way. And packages are dated for freshness. Very professional. So far I am glad i got a nice variery of the HSC seeds.

we got 2 10 day old Bigfoot Glue’s got their stems buried last 2 days and watered. Up front in the red cups. A Humboldt Sour Diesel is planted under the little dome next to them.

i have stopped filtering my well water but am not sure if i should continue or not yet. Sorry useless information. ;-)

Back left is an OG Kush about 2.5 weeks old and on the right in the other 1 gallon is a Caramel Cream a bit younger.

They are all growing fast in the ocean forest /perlite mix.

View attachment 1094181
Very nice, I’ve always had good luck with them

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
The HSC seeds all taprooted in a warm moist coffee filter around 20 hrs. Fast! And all sprouted a day after planting. These are good vigorous viable seeds. I am excited to see the plants progress. These are feminized seeds by the way. And packages are dated for freshness. Very professional. So far I am glad i got a nice variery of the HSC seeds.

we got 2 10 day old Bigfoot Glue’s got their stems buried last 2 days and watered. Up front in the red cups. A Humboldt Sour Diesel is planted under the little dome next to them.

i have stopped filtering my well water but am not sure if i should continue or not yet. Sorry useless information. ;-)

Back left is an OG Kush about 2.5 weeks old and on the right in the other 1 gallon is a Caramel Cream a bit younger.

They are all growing fast in the ocean forest /perlite mix.

View attachment 1094181

I really think this is important with seeds, vigor is extremely important. I was reading about (finola) seeds being treated with PGPR (plant growth promoting rhizobacteria) and it's something I've been been working on improving with my tester sprouts, and all my seeds, treating them with a product that would help them get out of the gate fast. (I've been using azomite for this purpose, until now). It also acts as a desiccant.

Quote: In agriculture, inoculant bacteria are often applied to the seed coat of seeds prior to being sown.
Inoculated seeds are more likely to establish large enough rhizobacterial populations within the rhizosphere to produce notable beneficial effects on the crop

Note the seeds mixed into the product in pic#2

I think treatment (I'm thinking there are a few methods), and unquestionably freshness are considerable drivers in root development of seedlings, and getting a great start matters. You want those little cross -runners by day 2-3... The sooner those plants start to inoculate themselves, the better, and coating the outer shell make perfect
sense.

Most of us are already doing much of this with our soil mediums, but applying it to the seed shells is simply taking it one step further, and at an earlier stage of development.

Article from the National center for biotechnology information.

IMG 20210203 002747050
IMG 20201222 051443059
Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

veg tent with the Humbolt seed company strains is growing fast.

85658F71 8562 4CB7 AC87 77E2E930EA59

the bigfoot glue in the one gallon on the right was transplanted yesterday. I think I could have waited for her to dry out one more day. She looks stressy. Sure she will be ok.

the Girl scout cookie plant from cali connect back right is as sensitive and problematic as the others from the seed pack. The plants harvested were small but quite tasty and potent. I put her in a 3 gallon pot of ocean forest and parked her back there to dry and heal. She started to perk back up yesterday. This morning i see new growth rather than old growth dying from overwater/ nute stress I was surprised to see.

The Caramel Cream left middle is a fantastic looking young plant and behind her is the og kush praying for something back there. Maybe wants less fan wind. I will go drop her down an inch and see.

And in front the baby humbolt sour diesel and the other bigfoot glue. She will be transplanted to 1 gallon tonight.

707finisher

707finisher

Gsc is a nice strain but it’s been a pain the whole time and the seeds produces some random phenos I ended up running all but 2 from my seed pack outdoors with my disabled friends. I saw one turn the most beautiful purple, a couple never changed color at all, some had bigger buds than others, I see now why a lot of people do pheno hunts and keep a cut of the ones they like the most, I saw that a little with the jack herer as well, but not as significant of differences. All in all I’ve been happy with all the seeds, even some that are a couple years old I have, they pop in a few days still, 100% success with close to a hundred seeds now!

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
@707finisher here is the other gsc plant flowering. She stays stressed too but is in the out of date promix and it is holding nutes a bit much. Not draining right anymore even with the extra perlite.

View attachment 1096998
I've been doing this kinda thing I do with my hair when I'm washing it lately, (massaging my scalp) except i do it too the root bases, about once a week working my finger down into the soil and massaging it, (before flushing it) occasionally i might snag a tiny root, but no matter, I give her a good rub, and mix up that top well, but your compost is much different than mine, I'm a lot more woody/mossy, whereas yours is more perlite. But it does help keep the roots draining well.

When I do progressive transplants, usually the second pot is the one that fills out the most solid, (the first one kinda just explodes) there about a 1 quart bag and that either gets put into a 2 or 3 gallon pot, depending on how big I'm growing the plant, but the roots in the center bags become super dense, and are at the "root" of my drainage challenges.

You seem like your really set on not disturbing the root base with your methods, and it serves you really well, but I would suggest that if a plant is having some difficulty draining a little disruption is what's actually what should be perscribed. The lesser of two evils. Especially at the center of the problem.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've been doing this kinda thing I do with my hair when I'm washing it lately, (massaging my scalp) except i do it too the root bases, about once a week working my finger down into the soil and massaging it, (before flushing it) occasionally i might snag a tiny root, but no matter, I give her a good rub, and mix up that top well, but your compost is much different than mine, I'm a lot more woody/mossy, whereas yours is more perlite. But it does help keep the roots draining well.

When I do progressive transplants, usually the second pot is the one that fills out the most solid, (the first one kinda just explodes) there about a 1 quart bag and that either gets put into a 2 or 3 gallon pot, depending on how big I'm growing the plant, but the roots in the center bags become super dense, and are at the "root" of my drainage challenges.

You seem like your really set on not disturbing the root base with your methods, and it serves you really well, but I would suggest that if a plant is having some difficulty draining a little disruption is what's actually what should be perscribed. The lesser of two evils.

I read to scratch up the surface of the soil when i started and have always done it since. Helps keep the soil from becoming hydrophobic.

and i mixed perlite to about 50/50 in those pots. Its too much. Especially with the small perlite. I am glad to go back to ocean forest like the veg i showed before.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I read to scratch up the surface of the soil when i started and have always done it since. Helps keep the soil from becoming hydrophobic.

and i mixed perlite to about 50/50 in those pots. Its too much. Especially with the small perlite. I am glad to go back to ocean forest like the veg i showed before.
Also, I find that a good yukka extract is extremely helpful, I do it probably 1-2x weekly actually. Keeps the soil nice hand hydroscopic. I even do some yukka foliars during veg, to keep the top squeeky clean going until flower. I use only about 1/8tsp per gallon, but it does wonders in keeping the root base clean and healthy. I have a history of over-fert, so this has been a longstanding issue for me.

I use a specific brand that's got exceptionally high sopatin content.

Index
Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I just noticed you've got the black buckets that go to those trays I'm using, but I've been using my cloth pots within them. I bet those were pricey and super thick. Are they the 5 gallon pots? Size is always difficult for me to judge because pot leaves get all sizes, and I have to guage it from something surrouding it, that I know is a given size, like the crate it's sitting upon.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I just noticed you've got the black buckets that go to those trays I'm using, but I've been using my cloth pots within them. I bet those were pricey and super thick. Are they the 5 gallon pots? Size is always difficult for me to judge because pot leaves get all sizes, and I have to guage it from something surrouding it, that I know is a given size, like the crate it's sitting upon.

they are go pro #3 black premium nursery pots (actual 2.4 gal.) and the premium 12” green trays. They are almost 7 years in rotation. All still in great shape.

i have some of the tall 5 gallon pots too but they just take more water and nutes for little gain in my timing and sustem.

dire wolf

dire wolf

Hey MIM , only here , only you .. Thanks for putting a name on it " hydrophobic"
I feel really happy when I take a kitchen fork on small pots and scratch them up ,, been doing it since the beginning , but eventually believed it was just making me happy to express some zen sand art .....
Now I'm sure it's doing something beneficial to the plant and me alike .......
And a touch of ocd , really bugs me when the soil goes all lopsided from watering

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

peeked in on the veg tent just now. With an hour and a half to go all the plants are growing new leaves and those big droopy ones are very expressive. Looks like they are growing roots. The soil is not dry and light yet.

fun learning new plants from a different breeder. They all pick them a bit differently.

These HSC plants are a week faster in each pot than even the ch9 plants.

AAAF4EAA 41B3 42C0 93D2 10E47F1B2DBF

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Hi, have you ever had plants too big for their pots and not transplant? I recently inherited 2 - 5ft trees in 20L buckets. The roots are growing 6-8-10" out of the bottoms of these buckets. I had no room to veg them so into the flower room with them. I would normally just give them a larger pot but I've not done that to plants after they go into the flower room. I'm not sure what to do...

.I don't think I could cut the bottoms off the buckets without damaging the roots coming through the drain holes. I could put the bucket and all into more soil in a larger pot but is there any point doing that? The roots don't look all that healthy but there is quite a bit of them. Trim them off? Or do Nothing? those seem to be my options.

Any advice on this conundrum?

100 5187
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom