MOISTURE CONTENT IN COCO. VWC AND CROP STEERING

• Thread starter socalrecfarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

My tiny brain is all petered out thinking about crop steering. I get the basic premise but actually putting it into gear in my flower room right now is where I work slowly lol! I'll think on it awhile and come up with some kinda stragety to initiate it smoke pouring out my ears head on 🔥. I've got the bluelab pulse. It is a VERY cool tool I must say. ✌️brother man

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I legit hope it doesn’t spread until Friday because my garage is my best room. I still cannot believe growsafe didnt work i aprayed 4 gallons of it and only on stalk and lower branches idk how it’s possible for it to stay on.
How do you like those gavitas? I'm slowly starting to swap out my HPS lights. Are they new for you or have you had a few grows with them so far? And how long have you been growing in Coco?

Oklahoma918

Oklahoma918

This is my first run using small 1gal fabric pots, I've been feeding 11 times a day, the growth was so fast in veg. I have a bluelab pulse the most dry back I get is 80% so not a lot at all. Ive been doing a lot of reading on crop steering so this is something I will try on my next run because this one's only got a few weeks left. My room always yeilds about the same so it'll be interesting to see if giving more dry backs in flower makes a difference 👍🏼
That’s crazy Howe much are you watering if you feed 11 times a day and with run off and what ppm

mikeross

mikeross

I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet he only sees runoff at the 10th or 11th feeding of the day. Those 11 waterings aren't big shots either... I bet the majority of those feeding are 125 ml or less.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet he only sees runoff at the 10th or 11th feeding of the day. Those 11 waterings aren't big shots either... I bet the majority of those feeding are 125 ml or less.
I can't understand how his ppms don't skyrocket.

mikeross

mikeross

2 reasons why imo, 1. towards the end of the day he should be seeing some runoff, 2. he never allows the medium to dry back under a certain moisture content percentage.

Scar818

Scar818

How do you like those gavitas? I'm slowly starting to swap out my HPS lights. Are they new for you or have you had a few grows with them so far? And how long have you been growing in Coco?
I mean they are good as they should be considering they are $1200 each, but then again i never used anything else basically i just thought i would buy the best 1 right off the bat

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

2 reasons why imo, 1. towards the end of the day he should be seeing some runoff, 2. he never allows the medium to dry back under a certain moisture content percentage.
So you think the runoff at the end of the day is enough to keep the EC in check then. Must be. I'm getting mg deficiency right now during week one of flower. Only in the one gallon pots. I just increased from 4 events to 8 and decreased the shot amount. Went from 850 ppm to 750 ppm going in. The ppm of the runoff as well as the substrate was between 800 and 1200. It all jumped up in the past week. Probably the roots filling out the pots and the fertigation running through slower w less run off? I dunno. Fine in the beginning but needed to be changed. I must say I was not expecting it but I e also never tried to take plants in 1 gal of coco to maturity. So most of my ideas are speculation. I just hate stress during flower!!

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

I would love to know if anyone here on the farm is actively involved in crop steering and if so that they would chime in. Seems like as soon as someone asks some hard questions they disappear.

Nectarivorous

Nectarivorous

I would love to know if anyone here on the farm is actively involved in crop steering and if so that they would chime in. Seems like as soon as someone asks some hard questions they disappear.
Always love Aqua's input but haven't seen him comment for a few days. Maybe taking some well earned time off.

Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Always giving the same shot sizes you 🤔 nk?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So coco has a max WC of 65 percent? So everything after 65 percent is runoff if I'm understanding this correctly? If so I think some of the Fog is finally lifting. I'm going to research other places on this.
Thanks for point that out. My mistake.

100% saturated at 65% MC so yeah I understand my mistake. But I think most in here are comparing this the way I misunderstood it. So at 45% MC you at 70% saturation. And at 60% it's 92% saturated.

The rest of my questions remain that at those number how is it affecting the water stress? It's absolutely not. Plus whatever I asked.

Idk if he is busy or just can't answer the questions.

I'm not saying this doesn't work or will have good results.. but again I'm saying the differences claimed and reasons are not supported imp and like everything cannabis ppl are looking for a claim to fame. I would absolutely love to here why I'm wrong if so. I lioe to learn also but I don't freely accept claims made.... been through that game plenty

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That’s crazy Howe much are you watering if you feed 11 times a day and with run off and what ppm
I was feeding my 1 gal coco 14x a day with 250ml. Granted with co2 and a completely controlled environment. That's just under a gal at peak. That's really not unreasonable or alot imo. My hydro plants would drink about 1.2 gal a day at peak.

Its not just how many times it's also the volume. And doing it like this keeps a very stable media.

I wrote a thread on coco but I won't post it in here because this has its own info.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Lots of info on this guys youtube channel. Work through the videos. You might not have the sensors so much of what he discusses doesn't apply, but after watching his videos you will have a better understanding of crop steering watering practices.

Yeah I get all this. I also did a thread on media and how it impacts watering. I'm not saying the information is not valuable. What I'm saying is I don't feel this equates to crop steering by itself but rather watering practices. Imo several changes are employed to varying parameters like light, temperature, nutrients, watering, plant damage etc.

So unless you employ many of these at particular times imo it's just watering practices. Drought stress imo does not kick in until the plant is stressed due to lack of water. However larger dry backs can also induce salt stress and if far enough drought stress. I'm not saying there is not a benefit but by itself I don't feel the parameters given are going to have much effect on either of those.

With that said knowing the WC of your media is important. Understanding how it effects yourr watering practices and how to change it is equally important. I'm asking how the user is quantifng that a change from 60%WC to 40%WC is actually inducing a stress response (which is what crop steering is) that benefits our desired goals.

Notice how this is at a certain depth. And yet below that depth it will still be at in this case coco 100% saturation or 65%WC in the saturation zone. So this is where I cant see how this is going to illicit those responses

I didn't want to link my threads in here but for the sake of explanation read through here. With taking all of these into account I don't get how you can't blanket statement WC. Say for eg. A short wide pot vs a tall skill one. Same WC and much different moisture level or dispersion of waterthrought the media.

All I'm trying to say is imo I don't believe the difference of the stated values are enough to have any real impact on say crop steering. As a tool it's absolutely beneficial BUT in order to use it you need to understand how it's all works. I love the plug and play factor but imo nothing is truly plug and play for best results in cannabis there are far to many moving parts.

Last edited:
Tracyfri

Tracyfri

Neither one of the experienced posters have come back to re-join the discussion. I was surprised at that.
What your saying makes alot of sense. There are more factors at play than manipulating the watering for "vegetative and generative" to make much difference.

StealthLED

StealthLED

@Tracyfri sorry only just seen the message in my inbox not been around on here for a while and I didn't get a email notification. I'm not using the BlueLab pulse now I brought a solus teros 12 meter, after seeing how much the BlueLab pulse is incorrect it went in the bin lol

I've only just started a 2nd run with the meter im now trying 2gals fabric pots just for change. Unfortunately the first crop steering run didn't go well after I f****d up and realised at week 5 I only had my lights around 50% and then 2 weeks from the end I reset the water timer and instead of having them irrigating while lights were on they was getting it when lights was off so they wasn't happy plants at all and tbh it was the worst I'd done in that room 😂

Tonymayo

Tonymayo

When using the moisture device (Bunnings type here in Australia) with the long prongs on them can you just push it down anywhere in the pot without harming the roots or is it better to poke it down the side of pots?

Top Bottom