Mold when drying! Please help!

• Thread starter kruroisoi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kruroisoi

Hi everyone, first time grower.... I've been doing a partial harvest and have dried and currently curing 4 oz in Grove bags. I currently have some drying at about day 4, its been taking about 6 days to dry (45%RH in dry box) and it was actually a little too much as my moisture meter read 8% and when placed in Grove bags settled around 55%RH. Today when I checked on the drying stuff at day 4, I noticed mold where I was holding the stems when wet trimming!! (I was wearing nitrile gloves). I'm ditching everything that is currently drying in the box but I'm very concerned about the first 4 oz im curing! I read you can break a nug infront of a torch in a dark room and if it "poofs" then its moldy and when I tested, every nug I tested had a small poof.... looking at the nugs under a microscope I can't see anything what do you guys think? Is it all f#cked???

Mold when drying please help
Mold when drying please help 2
Mold when drying please help 3
Mold when drying please help 4
Mold when drying please help 5
Mold when drying please help 6
Mold when drying please help 7
Mold when drying please help 8
B

BillyBanchan

While I don't have an answer for you, I'd love to know how you took those pics! Is it a camera that's interfaced with your phone or tablet?

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
While I don't have an answer for you, I'd love to know how you took those pics! Is it a camera that's interfaced with your phone or tablet?
I use a digital microscope with 50-500x for macros, (never goes over 50-70x lol ) the one I got is a wifi camera that can live view to your tablet or phone or PC, anything that can connect to a wifi signal, the camera makes its own network and you just connect to the network

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Whatā€™s the matter? Donā€™t like clowns? šŸ¤”
Supporter
Yikes, never ran into that. Hope itā€™s not too bad homie!

K

kruroisoi

Any ideas if the buds are fine? I'm extremely paranoid now but I don't want the ditch my whole first grow..

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Iā€™m seeing mostly exposed stalk with the white mold, have you cracked into any of the flower? Peel some back to the stem and see if it is indeed all the way through the herb. I will say this, as Iā€™m sure many a good folk in the website could attest too, weā€™ve all smoked that backyard boogie, that Baja stomp, some of the old&moldy in our more formative years. So if you absolutely are out of smoke and there ainā€™t no other optionā€¦..well then shit brotherā€¦ā€¦ā€¦weā€™ve all done worse. If you could throw up a few more pics in some better light that would help in your quest.

K

kruroisoi

Iā€™m seeing mostly exposed stalk with the white mold, have you cracked into any of the flower? Peel some back to the stem and see if it is indeed all the way through the herb. I will say this, as Iā€™m sure many a good folk in the website could attest too, weā€™ve all smoked that backyard boogie, that Baja stomp, some of the old&moldy in our more formative years. So if you absolutely are out of smoke and there ainā€™t no other optionā€¦..well then shit brotherā€¦ā€¦ā€¦weā€™ve all done worse. If you could throw up a few more pics in some better light that would help in your quest.
Yes mate as in the OP, the buds themselves look fine but if I break them open in a pitch black room above a light there's a very small "poof" of dust or something that im told is mold... apart from that the buds look fine to the eye and under the microscope in those pics...

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Yes mate as in the OP, the buds themselves look fine but if I break them open in a pitch black room above a light there's a very small "poof" of dust or something that im told is mold... apart from that the buds look fine to the eye and under the microscope in those pics...
Yeah white powdery mildew. Iā€™ve never run into the issue in all my years of growing. Itā€™s an issue for a lot of growers for sure. If itā€™s doing that man, Iā€™m not exactly sure what you would do to treat that post harvest. I really wish I knew though bro. I donā€™t want to be that guy to tell you itā€™s a no go, I can just say, on my end. Iā€™m not burning moldy/mildewed herb if can help it. I will say this though, every experience in growing is a learning experience.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Busted up
Hey man, I only see maybe one sketchy nug in those last pics. Even then it could be heavy trichromes. Thatā€™s stuff looks decent.

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Hey man, I only see maybe one sketchy nug in those last pics. Even then it could be heavy trichromes. Thatā€™s stuff looks decent.
Itā€™s it really dry? Or is it moist still? If itā€™s really dry, you may just be seeing poofs of god pods.

K

kruroisoi

Itā€™s it really dry? Or is it moist still? If itā€™s really dry, you may just be seeing poofs of god pods.
Yes its quite dry i accidentally dried to 8% moisture and it settled at 55% RH in curing bags. But I was told trichome will fall straight down

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Yes its quite dry i accidentally dried to 8% moisture and it settled at 55% RH in curing bags. But I was told trichome will fall straight down
Iā€™m not so sure about that, Iā€™ve had some really crispy herb that Iā€™m damn positive wasnā€™t moldy and was legit ā€œdustyā€. I think your good bud, have you smoked any? You will taste mold if itā€™s present.

K

kruroisoi

Iā€™m not so sure about that, Iā€™ve had some really crispy herb that Iā€™m damn positive wasnā€™t moldy and was legit ā€œdustyā€. I think your good bud, have you smoked any? You will taste mold if itā€™s present.
Yes I've been smoking it for about 2 weeks but ive coincidently been sick... related? All 6 people in the house are sick too tho (only I smoke). Because of this the smoking experience hasn't been great but nothing screams at me. Hard to tell until I get better

Captspaulding

Captspaulding

Supporter
Yes I've been smoking it for about 2 weeks but ive coincidently been sick... related? All 6 people in the house are sick too tho (only I smoke). Because of this the smoking experience hasn't been great but nothing screams at me. Hard to tell until I get better
Unless you house is brimming with moldy cannabis plants I think itā€™s safe to assume that fam & company can scratch that of the list šŸ˜‚ sorry to here everyone is under the weather in your neck of the woods, I hope it is nothing serious and youā€™re all on the mend. As far as your smoke, I think you are good man. Iā€™ve yet to come across these trichromes that defy gravity and drops like stones šŸ˜‰

Ponky

Ponky

UV light will make fungus show up. Get a UV flashlight for like 10 bucks on Amazon.

K

kruroisoi

Unless you house is brimming with moldy cannabis plants I think itā€™s safe to assume that fam & company can scratch that of the list šŸ˜‚ sorry to here everyone is under the weather in your neck of the woods, I hope it is nothing serious and youā€™re all on the mend. As far as your smoke, I think you are good man. Iā€™ve yet to come across these trichromes that defy gravity and drops like stones šŸ˜‰
Much appreciated i hope so too so I can enjoy this abit more. Perhaps I'm just extremely paranoid about it.

Ponky

Ponky

It's looks like bands and spots. And budrot had a weird off brownish huh. It stands out. Needs to be out the bag to really see. But it's very obvious when you see some.

Latest posts

Top Bottom