Most Important Part Of Soil Mix?? Secret Ingredients?? Lets Get Some Opionions!

• Thread starter slausongardens
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I don't agree with always keeping the soil at a constant wet/moist setting. I prefer to have it dry out pretty good between waterings. ......reason being that roots tend to seek out the water during dryer stages thus increasing root mass. Of course there's a fine line (aka sweet-spot) to accurately determine the proper watering regimen because you don't want to stress the plant out too much... but still give it a challenge to thrive and grow (from what I have read a lot of literature says this "water seeking" aspect increases root production) YMMV.

Good thread. I hope it encourages more farmers to grow cleaner and avoid toxic chemicals and big corp products.
I used to think that way too. Then blumats proved me wrong. So wrong.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I don't agree with always keeping the soil at a constant wet/moist setting. I prefer to have it dry out pretty good between waterings. ......reason being that roots tend to seek out the water during dryer stages thus increasing root mass.

I know this makes intuitive sense, but I do not believe it is born out by the evidence. I disect my rootballs when I'm done and Blumat grown plants have roots that are visibly more dense and thick.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

Sounds as though your proof is in the pudding hyzerflip. Do you know if these Blumats are
organic?
I've wondered that too. If the plastic is BPA free or whatever. It's a European company so, I'd like to think they did some homework on the safety aspects of the product. I honestly don't know.

hyzerflip

hyzerflip

I've wondered that too. If the plastic is BPA free or whatever. It's a European company so, I'd like to think they did some homework on the safety aspects of the product. I honestly don't know.

BPA-free isn't the same thing as organic. Anything made of plastic (a non-organic substance) is by definition not organic. That being said, there isn't a single organic standard on the planet that requires all of your tools, containers, and other devices be made of clay or whatever. :D

K

kolah

You raise good points. Here's a short article about plastic containers posted below.There are other options such as burlap, hempcloth, cheesecloth and other cloth pots. Untreated wood boxes would be nice as well. I have even considered using old jeans or cotton drapes to make some "cleaner" pots.

For veg growing, the socalled experts (cough) say to use food grade plastics and to avoid containers marked 3, 6, 7 and 9. And various forms of clay/terracotta pots aren't a good choice either due to their lead glazing. IMO no plastics are safe (or considered organic) as they all leech out their chemicals into the soil, food, water, etc. Same goes for using pressure treated wood in raised beds.

On another note one could also say that using plastic for covering greenhouses gives off toxic gases which of course would not fit into the purist definitions of organic growings. It's pretty hard to avoid it....the stuff is everywhere.

back on topic..."secret ingredients" ;)

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't agree with always keeping the soil at a constant wet/moist setting. I prefer to have it dry out pretty good between waterings. ......reason being that roots tend to seek out the water during dryer stages thus increasing root mass. Of course there's a fine line (aka sweet-spot) to accurately determine the proper watering regimen because you don't want to stress the plant out too much... but still give it a challenge to thrive and grow (from what I have read a lot of literature says this "water seeking" aspect increases root production) YMMV.

Good thread. I hope it encourages more farmers to grow cleaner and avoid toxic chemicals and big corp products.
Ah, but if you're growing soil, and soil microbes, letting it dry out is counterproductive.

Blaze

Blaze

I would tend to agree with Seamaiden and WalterWhiteFire. Smaller, more regular waterings always yield better results compared to infrequent, heavier waterings. Obviously you do not want to over-water, but letting your soil get too dried out is really bad for both the plants and the soil biology. A good auotmated drip system is essentail in my opinion, plants grow much better with a consistant, regular water schedule, which simply cannot be achieved with hand watering. People are not as precise and regular as a good timer, plus having it automated and on drip saves a TON of time for the gardener.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Molybdenum and selenium= parts.....not much of each needed

K

kolah

My definition of "dry out." I don't let my pots dry out to where the soil turns to desert cracks or where the tops of the plants begin to droop. That's a bit too extreme. And I never overwater...if anything I stay on the light side as overwatering causes a shitload of probs.

I'm not sure at what precise moisture content microbes and other good guys start dying off. I always have worms in my beds and pots and never saw them hollering for water or keeled over.

OTOH a drip system would be the cats ass..although I do enjoy hand watering as I feel more connected to my grows. (old hippie-shit-philosophy at work, I guess)

Dunge

Dunge

Are we arguing about what dry is?

I have a 3 liter range in my three gallon pots.
After watering the soil is saturated.
After four days, tea is ready and plants will wilt if they go much longer.

Is the ideal level less by 1 liter, 2 liters?
If true, I will change up my schedule, but I need evidence.

This seems like it might be an important question.

On the other hand, my plants are telling me that my methods are much appreciated.

PS drip systems with tea would be problematic.
I use 1/8" tubing manifolded into 1" plastic pipe.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Dd
I don't think you have evidence to support this. In my understanding, microbes are unable to live in soil that isn't moist.
Your right. All the evidence left is in jars and some residue in my lungs and pores lol

K

kolah

Water wars? LOL

I have found that the watering regimen for me (which is outdoors) is very unpredictable and that there is no magic number. Too many variable, temp swings, winds, RH, etc. Growing indoors in a controlled climate may be easier to calculate...if one chooses. I've never grown indoors so I don't know shit.

As I said before, there's lots of ways to skin a cat,,,,,and if what you do works then keep doing it. ;)

I am far from any master grower/expert...and always looking for new, better and cleaner ideas.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Water wars? LOL

I have found that the watering regimen for me (which is outdoors) is very unpredictable and that there is no magic number. Too many variable, temp swings, winds, RH, etc. Growing indoors in a controlled climate may be easier to calculate...if one chooses. I've never grown indoors so I don't know shit.

As I said before, there's lots of ways to skin a cat,,,,,and if what you do works then keep doing it. ;)

I am far from any master grower/expert...and always looking for new, better and cleaner ideas.
I know colorado situat ion is getting worse and worse

Top Bottom