Wanted Multi meter ignorance help please : )

• Thread starter BearWater
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
so im looking at getting a multi meter for some set up in my room and other odd ball shit around the house at some point if necessary and I’m confused about the amperage ratings on the meter. If I get a 10amp multi meter can I test 15 and 20 amp circuits without blowing the meter? I’ve looked all over the internet and cant get a good answer! One thing I did read confused the hell out of me. Im safe enough with electrical to not kill myself and will not wire or try anything AT ALL that could in my mind start a fire. Thats why im asking hahaha. Any simple explanation or even a yes or no answer is greatly appreciated at this point (trying to get the wife to pick it up for me while she’s in town, we live aways from the stores that dont carry shit you would use daily lol. Thanks again all!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
UPDATE: as long as the meter is on the AC voltage setting you can check house hold plugs and switches without harming the device.

BryanOconner

BryanOconner

Ok you can not check amperage on your meter like your doing . You put it on ac then it shows the volts like 110 or 120 or ever 210 or 220 . This shows you have power in the socket .
To check the amperage of whatever is plugged in . You light will say. There is two ways to do this . Trust the wattage of the light for ever 100 watts that is 1 am pulled . 1000 watts that is 10 amps with a 110 volt system this is very accurate .
Option two not suggest you can get hurt and you will have to cut the wire . The wire of the plug you cut goes to the black connector of your meter . The red goes into the wall. Meaning you have to cut the plug and make a new one and risk fire electric zapping you .
Ok what are you trying to do ???? I know some what about this stuff circuit breakers . What country do you live ? Tells me a lot as well

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
I think my question is not worded correctly : ) also I think I have it figured out. What I was worried about is the limit on the multimeter, not checking amperage for anything at this point. The multimeter has a interrupter at 10amp within the multimeter. My confusion laid within my ignorance of electrical principal lol. You wouldn’t want a multimeter that would trip at a higher amperage if you accidentally crossed wires or stuck it in something with big power. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for responding!

To answer your question Im in “south North America” 😂 and Im only trying to make sure the outlets are completely shut off with 0 chance of electrical shock (which i learned I could use a simple tester for that) duh!

Newty

Newty

I think my question is not worded correctly : ) also I think I have it figured out. What I was worried about is the limit on the multimeter, not checking amperage for anything at this point. The multimeter has a interrupter at 10amp within the multimeter. My confusion laid within my ignorance of electrical principal lol. You wouldn’t want a multimeter that would trip at a higher amperage if you accidentally crossed wires or stuck it in something with big power. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for responding!

To answer your question Im in “south North America” 😂 and Im only trying to make sure the outlets are completely shut off with 0 chance of electrical shock (which i learned I could use a simple tester for that) duh!
Just set your meter to ac voltage, smaller slot is hot, larger slot is neutral, round prong is ground. Put your multimeter black probe (neg/ground) in the round ground hole, check both slots with multimeter red probe and see if you get voltage. Neutral should have 0 from ground to neutral and Hot should have 120 ground to hot. If you get 120 on the larger neutral slot then your hot and neutral wire are connected wrong. As long as you see no voltage, your breaker is off.
They also sell outlet tester that you plug in just like a regular cord.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Just set your meter to ac voltage, smaller slot is hot, larger slot is neutral, round prong is ground. Put your multimeter black probe (neg/ground) in the round ground hole, check both slots with multimeter red probe and see if you get voltage. Neutral should have 0 from ground to neutral and Hot should have 120 ground to hot. If you get 120 on the larger neutral slot then your hot and neutral wire are connected wrong. As long as you see no voltage, your breaker is off.
They also sell outlet tester that you plug in just like a regular cord.
Ok, thanks Newty! I told my wife if I kill myself by electrocution she needs to come here and let you guys know hahaha!! Thanks again!

Newty

Newty

Ok, thanks Newty! I told my wife if I kill myself by electrocution she needs to come here and let you guys know hahaha!! Thanks again!
Even with the electric off just try not to touch opossing wires together, it's just safe practice even though it's off.

You can also plug a lamp into the outlet and turn it on, flip the breaker off and see if the lamp goes off. If it's a dual outlet, check both to make sure. If the lamp goes off, the breaker is off. Still use your multimeter after this to verify there's no voltage.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Even with the electric off just try not to touch opossing wires together, it's just safe practice even though it's off.

You can also plug a lamp into the outlet and turn it on, flip the breaker off and see if the lamp goes off. If it's a dual outlet, check both to make sure. If the lamp goes off, the breaker is off. Still use your multimeter after this to verify there's no voltage.
Thank you! Yeah so im checking a gfci breaker that wouldn’t power anything but still tested and reset as if it had power. Knowing just enough, I knew better than to start digging around lol! Got my little touch less meter from the store and sure enough that fucker is hot! It’s raining at my house today so im going to watch some wiring videos and the “DO NOT DO THIS” videos haha. Thanks again Newty!

Newty

Newty

Thank you! Yeah so im checking a gfci breaker that wouldn’t power anything but still tested and reset as if it had power. Knowing just enough, I knew better than to start digging around lol! Got my little touch less meter from the store and sure enough that fucker is hot! It’s raining at my house today so im going to watch some wiring videos and the “DO NOT DO THIS” videos haha. Thanks again Newty!
I'm pretty good with both AC and DC electric so it makes me curious, was this gfci just installed or did it just stop working all of a sudden and if so what happened before it stopped working? Are you trying to use a surge protector with it? Most surge protectors won't work with gfci, that's why I ask.

Good luck and be safe!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
So the plug has never worked. In the almost 7 years I’ve owned the home. I tried running my circular saw off it a few years back didn’t work and said fuck it because there are other outlets to use (I know not good fix the problem). But I did get one of those yellow extension cord boxes with like 8 ports( not sure if it’s a surge protector or not ( I’ll check that) that I plan of using as a distribution center of my lower draw equipment.

Please keep in mind, this is all a temporary until I run at least 50amps to the shed off my main breaker.

Newty

Newty

So the plug has never worked. In the almost 7 years I’ve owned the home. I tried running my circular saw off it a few years back didn’t work and said fuck it because there are other outlets to use (I know not good fix the problem). But I did get one of those yellow extension cord boxes with like 8 ports( not sure if it’s a surge protector or not ( I’ll check that) that I plan of using as a distribution center of my lower draw equipment.

Please keep in mind, this is all a temporary until I run at least 50amps to the shed off my main breaker.
You have voltage but not enough current to power anything it sounds like.
As long as it's installed correctly it sounds like either a bad/loose connection at the outlet or breaker, or anywhere it ties in with other outlets/switches if it's not on its own circuit/breaker. You could also have a wire with small break or it arced at some point, could also simply be a bad gfci outlet.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
You have voltage but not enough current to power anything it sounds like.
As long as it's installed correctly it sounds like either a bad/loose connection at the outlet or breaker, or anywhere it ties in with other outlets/switches if it's not on its own circuit/breaker. You could also have a wire with small break or it arced at some point, could also simply be a bad gfci outlet.
Thank you so much! I’ve been watching a shit ton of videos (which help) but my understanding of the principles and theory are very little. Thanks again. Ill post an update at some point in regards to the gfci and what I find out completely!

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
@Newty, I finally got into that GFCI! It was wired correctly so im banking on it being a bad GFCI. Getting a new one tomorrow and installing it🤞

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
@Newty bad GFCI! Got the new one in (mixed my connection up and fixed it) but works great after that. Thanks again for your guidance!

Newty

Newty

@Newty bad GFCI! Got the new one in (mixed my connection up and fixed it) but works great after that. Thanks again for your guidance!
Awesome! Glad everything turned out good! I love figuring out issues with all sorts of stuff, I refuse to pay anyone to do something I know I'm capable of!

Idk what you plan to power from the GFCI (hopefully some grow goodies!) but remember what I said before, most surge protectors won't work with GFCI outlets but a regular power strip/outlet splitter will. If you have to use a power strip or outlet splitter with it, just make sure it's not one that covers the GFCI buttons so it's easier to reset if you need.

BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
Awesome! Glad everything turned out good! I love figuring out issues with all sorts of stuff, I refuse to pay anyone to do something I know I'm capable of!
Same! If I know I can do it without killing myself I will : ) also its fun to problem solve.
Idk what you plan to power from the GFCI (hopefully some grow goodies!) but remember what I said before, most surge protectors won't work with GFCI outlets
I do remember : ) this will have a single heater on it, but I may look into a power strip if I end of needing more goodies on that plug. Thanks again!

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
You know they make safety equipment to wear to keep you from getting knocked on your ass! And tools that are insulated! I know it doesn’t happen very often, but on rare occasions, you need the power on to adjust things like on Wells, etc.

Last edited:
BearWater

BearWater

Supporter
You know they make safety equipment to wear to keep you from getting knocked on your ass! And tools that are insulated!
hahaha!!! If you saw the pliers I was using you’d have an absolute fit!😂 I did buy a multi meter, gfci tester, and a goofy little no touch pen tester though. All three of those tell me there’s no power in diving in head first!

Top Bottom