Mushroom thread

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
beluga

beluga

Fascinating shit man. Can't wait to get started. Need to find a pressure cooker now lol.
Oh, holy shit. I see what you're saying about keeping costs down... $200CDN for a 23 quart Presto?!
Guess the good ol' consumerist US has its perks, too.
Good luck on that search.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Oh, holy shit. I see what you're saying about keeping costs down... $200CDN for a 23 quart Presto?!
Guess the good ol' consumerist US has its perks, too.
Good luck on that search.

Yeah like I said lol... All the other supplies were just over a hundred bucks total. The pressure cooker is the big ticket item for me.
Thats why I'm looking for used. Were you looking on Amazon.ca? Because that site is notoriously overpriced for damn near everything. Should be criminal.

Whats the minimum size I should be looking at when I get one? Like what will take a 1 quart jar?

Also still not sure, should I pasteurize my coir or just use it out of the bag?

beluga

beluga

I'm not too familiar with different makes and models. The 23 quart presto fits 10 ball mason quart jars, for reference... only ever used this one for 12 years.

Coir out the bag is fine. The one thing I'd say to look for is any additives. I use pet store coir, for reptiles and such. I believe I heard horticulture use sometimes has salts or (might be wrong here) trichoderma added to it.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm not too familiar with different makes and models. The 23 quart presto fits 10 ball mason quart jars, for reference... only ever used this one for 12 years.

Coir out the bag is fine. The one thing I'd say to look for is any additives. I use pet store coir, for reptiles and such. I believe I heard horticulture use sometimes has salts or (might be wrong here) trichoderma added to it.

You're right. Canna coco has trichoderma in it.

beluga

beluga

Yeah, so, (you might know better than I on this one) I believe trichoderma acts almost as a predator to mushroom mycelium.
It's the one mold (in my experience/understanding) that can compromise a fully colonized axenic substrate... and usually will at some point in time.. after however many flushes, when the mycelium colony starts to weaken.

I don't have any experience with sterilizing such coirs. I would be very skeptical about using it even if I put it through the pressure cooker for a few hours at 18psi.

Here's the stuff I use. Each of those bricks expands to about 8 - 9 quarts, properly hydrated. So, 24 - 27 quarts out of each package. Plenty to get you started.

Just saw your comment about Amazon.ca. That's my general point of reference. $11 for that zoo med coir isn't too bad, I pay $7 if I'm not buying in bulk.
And... criminal... Bezos... 🤔

Sorry if I'm dropping a little too much detail here. I'm sure you're just looking for yes/no, which, feel free to ask again when you have everything in front of you.
I like to load up on theory to develop a mindset and then poke holes in that theory once I'm in practice.

Last edited:
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
6E5E9834 E369 4906 A69A B714D24C2B62

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Yeah, so, (you might know better than I on this one) I believe trichoderma acts almost as a predator to mushroom mycelium.
It's the one mold (in my experience/understanding) that can compromise a fully colonized axenic substrate... and usually will at some point in time.. after however many flushes, when the mycelium colony starts to weaken.

I don't have any experience with sterilizing such coirs. I would be very skeptical about using it even if I put it through the pressure cooker for a few hours at 18psi.

Here's the stuff I use. Each of those bricks expands to about 8 - 9 quarts, properly hydrated. So, 24 - 27 quarts out of each package. Plenty to get you started.

Just saw your comment about Amazon.ca. That's my general point of reference. $11 for that zoo med coir isn't too bad, I pay $7 if I'm not buying in bulk.
And... criminal... Bezos... 🤔

Sorry if I'm dropping a little too much detail here. I'm sure you're just looking for yes/no, which, feel free to ask again when you have everything in front of you.
I like to load up on theory to develop a mindset and then poke holes in that theory once I'm in practice.

Awesome info dude, i appreciate it. No amount of info is too much, im soaking this stuff up like a dry sponge right now.

beluga

beluga

Man, the legitimate publishing you can find on home/hobby fungiculture is a sorry state of affairs.
Sucks, but you have to go to places like shroomery that are flooded with juggalos and "trip team" members.. 🤦‍♂️.

Just kidding. That may have been the case before, but there are now industry leading experts who have committed endless hours to the free spread of legitimate information. They're rough around the edges because reddit and discord funnel in some super stupid shit, but it's a great community like this one here... just not quite as inviting if you don't have a thick skin and open mind.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Whats everyones thought about using a weighted pressure cooker vs a dial one? I found a used weighted 22 qt for sale locally.

amekins

amekins

Surprisingly enough, they're prone to being little, fat surface blobs.
But everyone has their taste, right?
I bet they get told, 'it's nice,' a lot.
Lmao
Awesome info dude, i appreciate it. No amount of info is too much, im soaking this stuff up like a dry sponge right now.
i mean this in the absolutely best way, but I get the distinct impression that if it is a fascination to @Dirtbag, he is a hungry beast for all pertinent info, down to minutiae.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Nkthih

i mean this in the absolutely best way, but I get the distinct impression that if it is a fascination to @Dirtbag, he is a hungry beast for all pertinent info, down to minutiae.
Accurate

Latest posts

Top Bottom